Words or phrases you dislike

Mahone

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And being in the automotive service field, I hear all kinds of word and phrases i dislike daily that i will not repeat. Kind of goes with the territory in the auto world. I'm sure anyone that is in automotive service will agree that you hear all kinds of things during the days. Really have to tune out the world from 8 to 6

And being in the automotive service field, I hear all kinds of word and phrases i dislike daily that i will not repeat. Kind of goes with the territory in the auto world. I'm sure anyone that is in automotive service will agree that you hear all kinds of things during the days. Really have to tune out the world from 8 to 6

Back some time ago I worked in the Oil fields of the American Southwest after

I worked off the Alaskan coast surveying for Oil . . .

Bro. Rudick

Also don't know if this one has been mentioned..I don't want to go back through 16 pages of this thread..but I can't stand when people say "libary" for "library."

Hidden

Just thought of another one:

When people ask "Do you want to...[insert request]?" instead of "Will you please...[insert request]?"

Example: When your spouse asks you "Do you want to go down to the store and get me some chips and a soda?" the truthful answer is "No thank you, I'm very comfortable sitting here on the warm couch and I do not want to get up and go out in the rain/hail/snow, drive down to the store and buy you chips, soda, or anything else for that matter. I might be induced to do so, but no, I do not want to."

When people ask "Do you want to...[insert request]?" instead of "Will you please...[insert request]?"

Example: When your spouse asks you "Do you want to go down to the store and get me some chips and a soda?" the truthful answer is "No thank you, I'm very comfortable sitting here on the warm couch and I do not want to get up and go out in the rain/hail/snow, drive down to the store and buy you chips, soda, or anything else for that matter. I might be induced to do so, but no, I do not want to."

Brilliant! Haha. Or what my aunt does to me constantly - append "only if you don't mind" to every request she makes.

That's generally my response unless I actually do want to for various reasons, such as since this is an apparent desire of yours and I want your desires filled as it gives me some measure of satisfaction to see you happy from such things I do in fact want to now that you ask, I may have to give that as an actual response to the question one of these days. The interesting this is no matter how many times they get the, "No, but I will anyway." response they keep using it even though it seems to cause them mild annoyance to hear the response it consistently gets.

That's generally my response unless I actually do want to for various reasons, such as since this is an apparent desire of yours and I want your desires filled as it gives me some measure of satisfaction to see you happy from such things I do in fact want to now that you ask, I may have to give that as an actual response to the question one of these days. The interesting this is no matter how many times they get the, "No, but I will anyway." response they keep using it even though it seems to cause them mild annoyance to hear the response it consistently gets.

Ditto, Dravin. When someone asks me "do you want..." and it's obviously something no one would want to do, I say "Nope, but I'll do it anyway..."

I'm sick to death of hearing everyone selling food on television using the word "decadent" to describe chocolatey desserts. It's like one grammar school drop out started misusing a word he didn't even know the definition of and a bunch of flunkies and yes men started immitating him. What a bunch of lemmings!

Next, will they start using the word "superfluous" to describe desserts with lemon or cherry in them? Man, that pie was SUPERFLUOUS! And then every time a commercial for nutri-system comes on they'll mention their "superfluous" desserts.

Shakespeare must be rolling in his grave.

I'm also quite disgusted with the frequency and ease with which certain words used to define reproductive anatomy are used on television these days.

When I was a kid, the worst words I'd ever hear on television started with D or H, and could be found in the scriptures.

I have tried hard to get over my irritation with common mispronunciations, misspellings, and various malapropisms. But what really, really, REALLY gets my goat is when people insist on referring to sexual activity as something intrinsically bad or wicked.

For example, I'll read an article where someone talks about "doing the nasty". HUH?! What sort of twisted, perverted sicko WANTS to think of sex as something debasing or nasty?

• A person treating another person in a despicable manner: Nasty.
  • An especially messy, odoriferous, and old baby diaper: Mildly nasty.
  • A booger hanging out of the nose of an unsuspecting person: Perhaps borderline nasty, if you're super-sensitive to that sort of thing.
  • Puppies, merry children, beautiful flowers, and (non-perverted, non-sicko) sex: Not nasty.
Seriously, what is wrong with these people? Edited by Vort

I have tried hard to get over my irritation with common mispronunciations, misspellings, and various malapropisms. But what really, really, REALLY gets my goat is when people insist on referring to sexual activity as something intrinsically bad or wicked.

For example, I'll read an article where someone talks about "doing the nasty". HUH?! What sort of twisted, perverted sicko WANTS to think of sex as something debasing or nasty?

• A person treating another person in a despicable manner: Nasty.
  • An especially messy, odoriferous, and old baby diaper: Mildly nasty.
  • A booger hanging out of the nose of an unsuspecting person: Perhaps borderline nasty, if you're super-sensitive to that sort of thing.
  • Puppies, merry children, beautiful flowers, and (non-perverted, non-sicko) sex: Not nasty.
Seriously, what is wrong with these people?

For example, I'll read an article where someone talks about "doing the nasty"

What article were you reading?:huh:

:P

No, really.

I don't know:mellow:

For example, I'll read an article where someone talks about "doing the nasty"

What article were you reading?:huh:

:P

No, really.

I don't know:mellow:

I don't remember the particular article I was reading -- something on Slate. But the phrase itself is very common, unfortunately.

Surely I'm not the only one to have noticed this! Am I?

My big pet peeve is the “dumbed down” corruption of written English that is becoming increasingly common. When people write as if they are so stupid that they cannot even spell simple words, such as “people” or “you” or “are”, it annoys me. F u rite lik dis, then I will assume that you are stupid — or worse, lazy — that you cannot possibly have anything to say that is worth my trouble to try to read it; and that you are unworthy of any response from me other than scorn, ridicule, and insults.

You are so me two years ago. Luckily, chat and phone texting cured me of my snobbery.

Elphaba