How to do you handle anti statements or actions?

lestertheemt

First.........I hope this is in the right place:confused:

Earlier in chat some one asked how they could best dispute with an anti LDS group.

It is in my opinion to simply not engage, ignore, walk away, etc. I know that nothing I say will change their minds (as all are entitled to believe what and how they may). I also believe that by giving them the time of day that in some small way I am encouraging the behavior.

Is this the best method? Is there another way and if so what?

Earlier in chat some one asked how they could best dispute with an anti LDS group.

It is in my opinion to simply not engage, ignore, walk away, etc. I know that nothing I say will change their minds (as all are entitled to believe what and how they may). I also believe that by giving them the time of day that in some small way I am encouraging the behavior.

Argument and contention are voided of the Spirit of the Lord. It makes little sense to discuss anything with somebody who's convinced "you are wrong" from the outset. It is a futile and unprofitable exercise. Ignoring them and refusing to play their game is the most sensible choice.

Contending with anti's, especially when it happens on their terms, is rarely productive. They have the ability to censor or distort your words to serve their point or purpose. It's generally best when on their turf to just walk away. On a level plane, or even one tilted in your favor, about the only thing you can accomplish is to plainly state your case so that bystanders may see the sense of it. You will still rarely gain an admission of validation from those who contend with you, so you need to weigh the benefits of going down rabbit holes with those who merely are there to fight against the costs of being labeled defensive or offended by their unwillingness to concede your point of view or reasoning as being valid.

any genuine question regarding the gospel wouldn't be able to be misconstrued as being anti anything. as others have noted anytime there is someone ready to bash any particular topic of our belief system don't have any reasonable intention to discuss such topics to come to an amicable conclusion, it's an attempt to tear down and destroy. i don't discuss this stuff with those types of people, just not worth it.

I think the response is situational. I think one should let the Spirit guide you as to the course of action to take in any talk dealing with the gospel. Sure, many times, maybe even most of the time you will 'feel' the correct action is to smile and say, 'bless your soul' and walk. But there may be times when confrontation is expected and demanded by God. It is sometimes our responsibility to call a Korihor out by his name. Other times, the Spirit may grasp the 'anti' by the scruff of the neck and help bring about a conversion.

Why not just send them over to the Mormon Apologetic Discussion Board - so they can find mormons who are perfectly happy to engage such folks?

In years past, I was really big on seeking out criticisms of my faith, to see if there was anything to them. I spent years on such boards. It was a great experience.

LM

Tone is everything. When the "Anti" asks questions, or even makes challenges, does she wait for a response. Is she listening? When you respond, does she sometimes stop and say, "Really? I didn't know that, never thought of that, etc.?" Sometimes, even a silly or seemingly aggressive question might be asked in sincerity. Other times, the seemingly innocent, "I'm considering joining your church, but I have a few questions..." turns out to be a ruse. So, do what you've been taught...listen to the Spirit's direction.

In my own personal experience, it depends upon the setting, the time, and the place. If it is in a chat room, or online over the internet in some fashion or form, the best advice is to just avoid the discussion altogether. A person can't attempt to witness over the internet. There are several reasonings behind this. One is that we are not face to face and therefore, from a purely communication sense, some feel that they do not have to behave in a proper manner as that if they were in a face to face conversation. Secondly, and again by going back to the communication aspect of it all, we can't read their body language. The only thing that we have to gauge their interest or lack of interest is by the words they type. While we can guess their tone, we can't really tell the nonverbal communication aspect of the other party. Thus, in this type of situation, it is best to really avoid any conversation online where it is in a chat setting.

Myself, I have turned to blogging and write up articles and respond to some of the critic's challenges to the principle doctrines of the LDS Faith. This, for me, provides a different medium of communicating the understanding of the scriptures, messages, and doctrines in a more non-abrasive format.

In a face to face confrontation, we have to keep in mind two significant scriptures. One is Jude where we are admonished to contend earnestly for the faith. The second is where Paul says that we need to be ready in season and out of season to give an account of the hope that lies within us. Sometimes, it is by merely standing and bearing our testimony no matter how much the anti(s) may ridicule, poke fun at, and attempt to destroy. Unlike how they respond, bearing your testimony shows that you are not willing to take their answer and that it is the ultimate authority of which we have at our disposal.

The other thing is that we need to defend our faith within reasonable means. This is defined by the type of audience. If someone comes to us and asks 'I have heard some say,' or 'I read some where...is this true" we should use this opportunity to teach and present the message of the Restored Gospel.

Now, if someone blatantly comes at us and say that we are wrong and destined to hell, the one question I ask is this: "Are you God? Are you the ultimate authority as to deciding who is acceptable and right before God or deserving of judgment and punishment?" When I have asked these questions to the hard core critics, they attempt to step around the question. I keep asking until they finally back down and walk away. Why? Because it hits right to the core as to how they are coming against you. In essence, you are putting them right on the spot to either answer "yea" or "nah". The reason most dance around this is because they know that if they answer yes, then they are claiming something that is very dangerous and unscriptural. If they say nay, then they are recognizing and agreeing that they are putting themselves in the judgment seat of God and they do not have that authority as to bring about such condemnation onto someone. No matter how hard they try to justify that they have a right to attack your faith and testimony.

And, if bearing your testimony, asking them if they are God and have the divine right to condemn someone does not work, then the best thing to do is to walk away after saying "I will pray for you."

One friend of mine a long time ago was cornered by several evangelical Christians who were doing the "shotgun" criticism. He could not get an edge in otherwise and when he tried to walk away, they kept after him. Finally, he turned, faced them and said "By the power of the Holy Melkesidick Priesthood that I hold, I testify that your hearts are full of hatred and that you are of your father who is the devil for he seeks to destroy the work of Christ, the message of Christ and this I testify unto you that by the power of Heavenly Father as restored in these last days, I stand as a witness against your foolish arguments and wisdom that is not of scripture, nor of Christ likeness. For I truly testify of Christ, I believe in Christ and I accept the Scriptures that teach and speak of Christ. If you have read the scriptures, you would understand who Christ is and this is Christ the Son of the Living God who came and redeemed fallen mankind and brought about the redemption of humanity."

The most interesting thing about this was that when he turned away, the group of Evangelical Christians were stumped and did not know what to say. Many of us who are priesthood holders fail to realize that we have the power to bound and loose. It is a very real power that we don't employ in such a manner because we don't think it may really be prudent to work.

how many times did Joseph Smith speak out against those who attacked him or those of the LDS Faith? How many times had Christ spoken out against the Pharisees without shrinking back? How many times did Peter speak out against the people of his day?

I also would like to add that it all comes down to the eternal perspective. These people who come against the doctrines of the LDS Faith, do so at their own peril and demise. They do not realize exactly what it is that they are actually condemning and saying is false. It is only when they stand to give an account of how they lived their life in mortality that they will realize that they were denouncing their Heavenly Father's Plan of Salvation and are responsible for the spiritual ruination of souls that they have turned away from the True Gospel of Jesus Christ. In the End, as the cliche goes, they will get their commupence.

Why not just send them over to the Mormon Apologetic Discussion Board - so they can find mormons who are perfectly happy to engage such folks?

LM

The MAD forum as you suggest or MormonDiscussion.com. If they wish to attack, they will find equally ravenous attack dogs waiting there to tussel with them.

The nature of the criticism is important. Some criticisms are actually valuable while others like "you believe in a different Jesus" seem so overused that they are boring. PC said it well about intent in his post above.

:)

I'm somewhat overly sensitive to antis. God gives us all trials and weaknesses, and I think this may be one of mine. It always affects me more then it should. Usually I have to just ignore it - or, if someone's addressing me directly, I'll say something like, "My beliefs make me happy and I'd rather not argue" and end it at that. If someone is asking polite questions, that's one thing, but if they're being deliberately combative and belligerent, it's best not to get involved.

In years past, I was really big on seeking out criticisms of my faith, to see if there was anything to them. I spent years on such boards. It was a great experience.

LM

Agreed...I generally just invite them over to Mormon Apologetics & Discussion Board and FAIR.

From the first moment of anti material on my mission to today (almost 12 years later) I have come to the realization that there is not any amount of criticism aimed at the LDS Church that has not already been answered thrououghly by at least one person. Towards the end of my study of anti-LDS material, I happened upon a book with the word "New" in the title. I was excited by the prospect of finally finding some new material to study. I was, unfortunately, destined to be disappointed by the book, as it was the same material, only re-packaged in a carefully couched and non-aggressive tone. Nonetheless, it was still anti-LDS material throughout, so I wrote a review of the volume on my blog and left it at that.

My search was based upon my confidence that the truth can withstand any criticism; that if the LDS Church is true, then there shouldn't be any bit of an issue defending it against the onslaught that is launched against it daily. I have found exactly that to be true, and I may soon end my search for new material; I simply don't think there's any out there to be found.

Having said all this, my answer to the OP would be to ask the person bringing the question "Do you really want to discuss this, or are you just here to argue with me?" If they say they're open to discussion, begin your explanation. If you aren't allowed to finish without interruption, turn and walk away. If you're challenged, simply state that you won't fight over the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that it's too important to you to treat it that way.

I did have the chance to have a sit-down discussion with some born-again Christians, and I can't say it was overly successful, but it was a discussion, and not an argument. The spirit was there, and the host was very kind and gracious, so don't assume; there are good people out there that really do want to just talk it out.

Remember that Abinadi had to stand alone on the home turf of a pretty strong anti, and he stood his ground. True he was killed for it, but the message got through to the one person ready to hear it. You never know who your testimony will affect, nor will you always know after the fact. When the spirit moves you to act, do it. You'll never be wrong for it.

I have many friends and family members who are members of other religions and who occasionally feel compelled to criticize my beliefs. I have found that smiling, thanking them for caring so much about my salvation, and then moving on to another subject usually is the best approach. If the person doesn't get the point then, I say that I don't argue about Chrisitianity because I don't believe it is proper Christian behavior to do so. It's usually over then.

Jesus is a good example. We can read how he answered (things like you are not a Christian and so you think you will become a g-d) in several chapters of the gospel of John. But keep in mind that two things - Jesus was not able to convert the anti and the truth he taught got him killed. I think it is rather foolish to think we will have better results than the master.

The Traveler