Would this be considered wrong?

naturelover

I don't drink coffee or tea, except herbal tea. However, I do sometimes drink caffeinated pop, mostly when caffeine-free isn't available. But I'm certainly not addicted to caffeine, and most days I don't even have it. Would that still be considered wrong? It's probably a dumb question, but I'm still a little unsure about the WoW and whether or not it includes caffeine or just coffee and tea.

Thanks.

Edited by naturelover

I don't drink coffee or tea, except herbal tea. However, I do sometimes drink caffeinated pop, mostly when caffeine-free isn't available. But I'm certainly not addicted to caffeine, and most days I don't even have it. Would that still be considered wrong? It's probably a dumb question, but I'm still a little unsure about the WoW and whether or not it includes caffeine or just coffee and tea.

Thanks.

Doctrine and Covenants 89

The only drinks we know for certain that are "wrong" are tea (not herbal teas), coffee, and alcohol. Caffeine drinks are not expressly forbidden, but many members of the church don't drink them.

I, personally, feel that anything with the word "tea" in the ingredients* (notice I said ingredients, not title) or any type of coffee are not in keeping the WoW. I do drink caffeinated drinks when the fancy strikes me (love my Mountain Dew!).

* please, please, please (ok, that last please was as a moderator) don't make this thread into a WoW debate. This is a person asking a simple question and the WoW debate has been hashed on other threads--do a search if you want to re-hash it.

Coffee and tea were defined as the 'hot drinks' by Hyrum, I believe (could have that messed up, but somewhere I heard that). Pres Kimball talked about us living a higher law and avoiding caffeinated drinks, which is where the hostility by some to Coke came from.

I'm like Beeche (without the tongue): I love Mountain Dew. It is the only 'diet' pop I can stomach. However, I don't drink it often because it tears my stomach up, so only when I'm sleeping at my computer at work will I break down and buy a Dew.

My Son in Law is hooked on caffeine. He gets headaches when he DOESN'T drink it. He is in law school and studying/working like a fiend, so I understand the why. But perhaps, PERHAPS (ALERT--my opinion here, not official doctrine) he has a problem and an addiction and may want to rethink his consumption of caffeine (ALERT over).

But then again, I have a bad addiction to chocolate (as my girlish figure, ala Rosie O'Donnell, would attest).

This is the latest official word given, that I know of:

Priesthood Bulletin statement dated February 1972: Volume 8, number 1, subheaded 6, paragraph 2:

“With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.”

I would suppose occasional use is in complaince with:

that would result in acquiring the habit.

But, the last sentence is a little harder to wiggle around. I guess it's the word "avoided" we should concentrate on.

I occasionally drink a cola. I prefer caffeine free cola and will always choose it if it is available. I drink a lot of juice and water, and don't drink soda that often to begin with. But, I don't believe an occasional drink of cola will be habit forming, which I think is what the intent is for us to avoid.

The bottom line is I avoid them. Sometimes I'm in a place where only soda is available, and only caffeinated sodas are served. It's rare, but it does happen. I could do water in those instances, and I do most of the time, but sometimes I just want a pop!

Edited by Justice

Thanks.

My personal opinion? -- It depends on what you define as your personal covenant with G-d.

As my father taught me - every person needs to know and understand their personal commitment to covenants. Some my father called minimal in their commitment in that they do the very minimum they can define or figure out to do. Other will go (or commit) so to speak, as Christ taught, the second mile.

The Traveler

Thanks.

All i know for sure is i definately feel a lot better about everything when i stick to no caffeine in anything ever; once in awhile in the summertime {it gets to average 115 plus degrees hear;} if a regular soda is all that is available then i will drink it; but otherwise i always feel much better not.:)

My wife is currently working with a guy trying to get himself off drugs. Heroin, cocaine, meth, alcohol, you name it. He's trying to 'step down' to cigarettes. A pack a day helps keep him out of the hospital or relapsing back to alcohol or the hard stuff, due to the horrible withdrawl symptoms. Maybe after a few months of AA and no withdrawl symptoms, he'll work on the cigarettes.

I'm of the opinion that if he died today with a cigarette in his hand, his maker would embrace him and welcome him home, saying how proud He is that he was doing the best he could.

It's all about where your heart is.

Just a little perspective.

LM

I struggle sometimes when I hear people label coffee and tea and even soda as "bad". I am not sure any of it is inherently bad at all. Addictions are problematic and spiritually damaging. People who use addictive stimulants to sell products could be labeled as corrupt. But I really think that God is trying to raise up a generation of people who have self control or mastery over the flesh and the temptations of the flesh. I don't worry so much about whether or not the diet coke I am drinking will damn me to hell. What I worry about is how perhaps I might not be living up to the invitations and confirmations I have received from the Spirit of God, as the Spirit has personally invited me to give up all cafinated drinks. I am not saying the commandment is for everyone. I am not even suggesting it was a commandment for myself. It's just that I felt that the Lord would bless me more....that He wanted more access into my heart and He would come IF I disciplined myself by making this simple sacrifice. I honestly think most of our commandments are about principles. So I hope more of the church would learn to obey with those higher perspectives than getting so caught up in the law itself.

Edited by Misshalfway

I heard recently about a boy who returned from his mission (not too long ago), and wasn't home long before he committed suicide. He left a note for his family and in it, he said to his mom that he wasn't drinking the "hard stuff", it was only beer. But he hadn't been able to live up to the standards he so wanted to keep. I heard about that and it made me so sad to think that he felt that he wasn't good enough; I don't know what other things he might have been struggling with, but to put that in a suicide note, it had to be weighing heavily on his spirit. I wish he could've known that God didn't demand perfection of him...that He accepted him and loved him. I do believe that God wants us to treat our bodies with honor and respect. We've only got this one body. But God's grace is so much greater than our sin and our bad choices. He is kind. He's more than love-ING, He IS LOVE. That returned missionary was devastated by choices he'd made that he saw as too shameful and too BAD to be honest about until it was too late. I wish he'd known that God didn't see him that way...

I heard recently about a boy who returned from his mission (not too long ago), and wasn't home long before he committed suicide. He left a note for his family and in it, he said to his mom that he wasn't drinking the "hard stuff", it was only beer. But he hadn't been able to live up to the standards he so wanted to keep. I heard about that and it made me so sad to think that he felt that he wasn't good enough; I don't know what other things he might have been struggling with, but to put that in a suicide note, it had to be weighing heavily on his spirit. I wish he could've known that God didn't demand perfection of him...that He accepted him and loved him. I do believe that God wants us to treat our bodies with honor and respect. We've only got this one body. But God's grace is so much greater than our sin and our bad choices. He is kind. He's more than love-ING, He IS LOVE. That returned missionary was devastated by choices he'd made that he saw as too shameful and too BAD to be honest about until it was too late. I wish he'd known that God didn't see him that way...

Sounds like there is more to the story to me.....the young man had other issues going on for sure. Repentance is always available to the sincere....sad indeed. It is always sad to see someone fall and then give up, whether it is something as tragic as suicide or just deciding to live outside the Gospel because they feel inadequate or unworthy.

If you are here asking if it's ok the spirit has already promoted you. The same can be said about food too.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

* Heart disease: 631,636

* Cancer: 559,888

* Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 137,119

* Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,583

* Accidents (unintentional injuries): 121,599

* Diabetes: 72,449

* Alzheimer's disease: 72,432

* Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,326

* Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,344

* Septicemia: 34,234

Diabetes and obesity related deaths will pass the number one killers in the us at the rate were going.

With that said I drank d-coke big time for many years and it was an addiction. I slowly increased my amount of it to keep me feeling good though the day but it always made me feel crappy by the end of the day. It was a slow process to build up to the amount I was drinking and took years. I was drinking over a 2 liter bottle a day. Just another tool of the advisory. Did it mean I wasn't worthy of the spirit? No I felt it much BUT that's when my brain was not all hyped up on caffeine and that's the main reason to avoid it. Really what we put into our bodies can be good or bad. If bad then there's room for improvement. More than one can every couple of weeks is to much. It's our goal down here to master the natural man. By conquering one thing at a time and that's how we gain strength! That's my take. Good luck!

Marty

Edited by martybess

During intermission at a theatrical presentation, his [David O. McKay's] host offered to get refreshments: "His hearing wasn't very good, and I got right down in front of him and said, 'President McKay, what would you like to drink? All of our cups say Coca Cola on them because of our arrangement with Coca Cola Bottling, but we have root beer and we have orange and we have Seven-Up. What would you like to drink?" And he said, "I don't care what it says on the cup, as long as there is Coke in the cup.' "

David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism., pg. 23

Faygo is a company that started in 1907, and it's call pop because of the sound the bottle makes when you crack the seal of the bottle, when was the last time you went to a vending machine and got a glass bottle? 1980? it's made with carbonated water, or in its plain form which you can buy "soda water" or is it called "pop" water inthe midwest.......you will never see a bottle of that stuff in a regular grocery store on the west coast, I also noticed you only posted a pic of the label that says "pop" if you go to their website they also make a vanilla cream "soda"...says so on the label

bu t I digress to the OP

nothing wrong with caffinated soda drinks, it is and should be a personal decision as to drink them or not......I doubt that hellfire and brimestone will be waiting for you should you crack the top of a bottle of pop..opps.... soda....

Faygo is a company that started in 1907, and it's call pop because of the sound the bottle makes when you crack the seal of the bottle, when was the last time you went to a vending machine and got a glass bottle? 1980?

Whens the last time you saw a football made from Pig, or a buffalo with wings? even German chocolate cake is an American invention. Names don't have to be accurate, just catchy:)