Why do most non-LDS Churches have no temples?

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

I was curious if anyone could comment on why non-LDS Churches don't have temples. As you know, they are a big part of the LDS experience, but I see few other Churches that have them.

Thoughts from a non-non-LDS:

Temple worship was a feature of Judaism, among other ancient religions. Hebrew temple worship revolved around animal sacrifice, or at least that was its most visible feature. Christ's atonement did away with animal sacrifice; thus, in the minds of most non-LDS Christians, the atonement doubtless did away with the necessity or even the relevance of temple worship.

I think that the need of Temples has been downplayed because of New Testament scriptures like Acts 7:48

48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

I have engaged in many discussions with non LDS people who claim that this means that Temples were only to be used BEFORE Jesus' attonement.

A different take is that after the Attonement, WE became temples ourselves, as cited in 1 Cor 3:16-17

16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

These verses are often misinterpeted to mean that you do not need PHYSICAL buildings, because God doesn't dwell in them, and because WE are Temples.

There are probably several other reasons, but in my gospel debates, these are the two arguments I most often run into.

Temples were indeed predominantly for animal sacrifices in Old Testament practice. Perhaps thekabbalist could comment more about that. The comment about us being the temple of the Holy Spirit seems relevent too. Ultimately, there simply is no temple in the New Testament, and we don't do what LDS do: eternal marriage sealings, baptisms for the dead, and ritual covenants and instruction. Ironically, some of our churches are named temples or tabernacles. I'm told that in the midwest many of our A/G churches were called "gospel tabernacles."

My country is dotted with lots of very beautiful buildings called Cathedrals the one 3 minutes walk from house is 700 years old have always seen the Cathedral as the equivelent of our Temples its a step up from a normal Sunday for most people a place to go and commune with God. The towers and spires were built as high as possible to represent closeness to God. There is a lot of symbolism in the building of them that is reflected in our temples

Guest mormonmusic

are you refering specificly to non lds christians not having temples? i know other religons such as buddism & hindu have temples.

Yes, I was referring to non-LDS Christian-based churches, although you've got me curious about the purpose of temples in other religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism.

Temples were indeed predominantly for animal sacrifices in Old Testament practice. Perhaps thekabbalist could comment more about that. The comment about us being the temple of the Holy Spirit seems relevent too. Ultimately, there simply is no temple in the New Testament, and we don't do what LDS do: eternal marriage sealings, baptisms for the dead, and ritual covenants and instruction. Ironically, some of our churches are named temples or tabernacles. I'm told that in the midwest many of our A/G churches were called "gospel tabernacles."

That depends on how you see it. Yes the main activity within the Temple was the animal sacrifice so if one looks at the Temple's main function then you would be right. But it's more than that really. We believe the Temple was modelled after a pattern shown to Moses in the heavens. This I believe is where the Book of Hebrews draws much of its theology from. So the Temple is meant to be a physical reminder of the heavenly palace and because it is the dwelling place of the Shechinah and made after the pattern shown in heaven then the Temple is seen as a place that connects heaven and earth. The Temple also is meant to be the home of the ark so it can be seen also as a storeroom for the terms of the covenant with Israel so it's a House of Covenant. It is to be built in the place where G-d made His name dwell and it serves as a gathering place for the people in the most important religious festivities such as Pesach (Passover) Shavuot (Pentecostes) and Sukkot (Tabernacles). So the Temple also plays a prominent role in the Jewish calendar. It's possible I haven't thought of everything but in a nutshell this is it.

b'shalom!

I think it's that way because the Attonement took the place of the animal sacrifice ritual that originally went on in the temple. I seem to remember that when Christ prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem, the temple was said to be part of what was destroyed, and that turned out to be the case. Some non-LDS Christian sects have cathedrals which like LDS temples, are unique in that they're bigger and more ornate than regular churches. Many of those cathedrals took decades to complete, especially the older ones.

Oh but there are temples in the new testament; it speaks of prophets and apostles worshipping daily in the temple; and in the book of revealations;; "After" the millenium; john sees jerusalem and there "was no temple within"; very strong refferance as to temples being ther "during" the milleniel reign; Why would ther be "no temple within" at that time if there has not been before that time? during the millenial reign, we are doing work for the dead, as another refferance concludes; "there was 144,000 {i cant remember the excat number}high preists in the temple during this reign.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my question, Why do you see the relevance of temple worship under the new covenant of the cross? (New Testament)

Also I do not see any similiarities between modern day temple ceramonies and what I read about in the Old Testament. Where did these practices come from, they are not from the Bible.

I think the modern day temple ceramonies come from the "free masons" dont they? Not sure, and if they did, where did the free masons get their idea's from?

I just bought a book by Dr. Margereth Barker a evangelist biblical scholar about Temples ... migth be interesting.

Temple worship is cural in the LDS point of view as the eternal convenants can ONLY be made in Temples. Without the work that is today done in the Temples people would be atoned and "saved" but they would not be able to be fellow enheritants with Jesus.

In Bible there are referals to Temple ordinaces. As the Temple things are considered such a sacret thing there is not much og them written.

Here's my question, Why do you see the relevance of temple worship under the new covenant of the cross? (New Testament)

Also I do not see any similiarities between modern day temple ceramonies and what I read about in the Old Testament. Where did these practices come from, they are not from the Bible.

I think the modern day temple ceremonies come from the "free masons" dont they? Not sure, and if they did, where did the free masons get their idea's from?

I think you have to have been through the temple to see it in the Old and New Testaments, when I went through I was very grateful that my background had involved looking into many different forms of Christianity, each one has their own favourite scriptures. When I went through the temple ceremony whilst I can't reveal it - nothing was new to me, much of it I had learned before becoming a Latter Day Saint.

And I have a strong faith that the Old and New Testaments did have similar temple ceremonies. As penny drops frequently when I reading them

Given Masons teach their ceremonies come from either Ancient Egypt or Temple of Solomon, at least thats what I grew up with, one legend teaches the builders of the Temple took the details of the ceremonies with them and the Masons were its guardians - there are others though

Thoughts from a non-non-LDS:

Temple worship was a feature of Judaism, among other ancient religions. Hebrew temple worship revolved around animal sacrifice, or at least that was its most visible feature. Christ's atonement did away with animal sacrifice; thus, in the minds of most non-LDS Christians, the atonement doubtless did away with the necessity or even the relevance of temple worship.

I think that you have to rely more on the historical record than on a philosophical or modern interpretation of the facts. Jesus did not say that the Temple should be done away with. The Apostles continue worshiping in the Temple after the crucifixion (Luke 24:53 and Acts 2:46). James, the brother of Jesus was known for his righteousness and daily Temple ministrations.

The Temple was destroyed by the Romans and the inhabitants scattered, religious life as they knew it stopped and was disrupted forever. The final blow in 132 AD scattered the Jews across the face of the earth. From that point on the priestly class faded into obscurity and with it the cultic rites of the Temple. The "gentiles" never worshiped in the Temple and the it was not necessary for them to embrace Christianity.

As some noted before, the Jews of the 1st Century AD had lost perspective of what the Temple meant. It had become a tradition, a mechanical and culturally mandated rite but they forgot that the Temple pointed to the Messiah that would Atone for the sins of His people and the world over. Thus they were not offered more than they could understand. In the later days the Lord has revealed more for it seems that at least some of His children can grasp and embrace a "higher law" and a more profound covenant beyond the salvation that He freely offers them. He has caused Temples to be built upon the earth that His purposes may be fulfilled at this time.

Modern revelation is what guides the affairs of God on the earth not the theological understanding of men. If Christ revealed that Temples should be built so the His Spirit would once more dwell there and move upon the face of the earth that He may offer them a glimpse of the world to come and endow them with power from on high it will be so. Some will believe and some won't. We shall know hereafter who was able to hear His voice and who did not.

The NT was not and can not be the ONLY and conclusively unique word of God for it was not intended to be so! Beyond the testimony of Mark, Matthew and John and the accounts collected by Luke what we have is a collection of letters between the Apostles and branches of the nascent Church (co-religioners) with some explanations on specific subjects of Christian living. It is not the fullness of the Gospel. To claim that the word of God is ONLY contained there is clearly not a sound proposition.

I could be wrong but i thought one of the reasons that many christian faiths have no temples is that they do not believe in the restoration of the temple ordanances by Elijah to Jospeh Smith.

That's certainly true. There are some evidences that the early Christians did have temple rituals, probably the most recognisable are the prayer circle and washings and anointings. The Maxwell Institute has researched this pretty well.

Other Christian Churches that argue that Mormons aren't Christian often use the argument that we have temples to bolster their case. It's true that our temples do link us somewhat to the Western Mystery Tradition, primarily as exercised by the Freemasons.

Most LDS members don't care much for that association, so it is commonly and vigorously denied, for the most part. Even the latest scholarly book on the topic by Matthew Brown, protests and obfuscates the connection.

That book is found here, though I'm not recommending it -- pls.

read the review by Nick Literski. Nick is correct is his criticisms, IMO.

Amazon.com: Exploring the Connection Between Mormons and Masons (9781598118933): Matthew B. Brown: Books

HiJolly

• 3 weeks later...

Catholics do not have temples either. Catholics (and Orthodox) tend to see our individual churches as temple-equivalents, with many Russian Orthodox referring to their churches as "temples" specifically. All of our churches have tabernacles/Holy of Holies where the consecrated Eucharist (which Catholics and Orthodox believe becomes the body and blood of Christ) is kept, so Catholics and Orthodox believe that there is a special presence of God in all of our churches. There is an altar, where the sacrifice is offered (note that Catholics and Orthodox do not believe that Jesus Christ is re-sacrificed. Instead, the belief is that the once and for all sacrifice on the cross is "re-presented" there. The sacrifice of Christ transcends time and space, therefore the Mass and Divine Liturgy are a participation in that sacrifice).

Roman Catholic churches have fonts of water which people can use to purify themselves upon entering the church (this is done by dipping your hand in the water and making the sign of the cross on your body). The belief that the temple is a place of ascent to God, where Heaven meets Earth, is also found in these churches, with icons, statues, and paintings of angels and other Heavenly persons. Incense is used in these churches as well. There are priestly vestments worn. Anointing occurs in these churches.

So, while Catholics and Orthodox do not have separate structures called properly "temples", they do believe that churches absorbed many aspects of OT temple theology, which can be seen in the building structure and areas, vestments, and the rituals.

Hope that helps!