Secret Combinations

Justice

Helaman 6:

22 And it came to pass that they did have their signs, yea, their secret signs, and their secret words; and this that they might distinguish a brother who had entered into the covenant, that whatsoever wickedness his brother should do he should not be injured by his brother, nor by those who did belong to his band, who had taken this covenant.

This is very interesting wording: "that whatsoever wickedness his brother should do he should not be injured by his brother."

23 And thus they might murder, and plunder, and steal, and commit whoredoms and all manner of wickedness, contrary to the laws of their country and also the laws of their God.

For some perspective, let's back up to chapter 5:

2 For as their laws and their governments were established by the voice of the people, and they who chose evil were more numerous than they who chose good, therefore they were ripening for destruction, for the laws had become corrupted.

3 Yea, and this was not all; they were a stiffnecked people, insomuch that they could not be governed by the law nor justice, save it were to their destruction.

This is an interesting statement about people who cannot be governed by law, that it is to their destruction.

Back to 6:

24 And whosoever of those who belonged to their band should reveal unto the world of their wickedness and their abominations, should be tried, not according to the laws of their country, but according to the laws of their wickedness, which had been given by Gadianton and Kishkumen.

Back to the wording: "that whatsoever wickedness his brother should do he should not be injured by his brother." "According to the laws of their wickedness, not the laws of justice," because the majority chose evil over righteous. Doesn't this sound like today?

25 Now behold, it is these secret oaths and covenants which Alma commanded his son should not go forth unto the world, lest they should be a means of bringing down the people unto destruction.

26 Now behold, those secret oaths and covenants did not come forth unto Gadianton from the records which were delivered unto Helaman; but behold, they were put into the heart of Gadianton by that same being who did entice our first parents to partake of the forbidden fruit—

27 Yea, that same being who did plot with Cain, that if he would murder his brother Abel it should not be known unto the world. And he did plot with Cain and his followers from that time forth.

This is telling about Satan and his desires. "No one will know" is a common justification for doing something we know is wrong. But, one day it WILL be known. This is a great example of how Satan lies to achieve his designs. It's telling that many in the world did/do know about what Cain did... and not just a few people, but literally millions and millions know about what he did.

28 And also it is that same being who put it into the hearts of the people to build a tower sufficiently high that they might get to heaven. And it was that same being who led on the people who came from that tower into this land; who spread the works of darkness and abominations over all the face of the land, until he dragged the people down to an entire destruction, and to an everlasting hell.

29 Yea, it is that same being who put it into the heart of Gadianton to still carry on the work of darkness, and of secret murder; and he has brought it forth from the beginning of man even down to this time.

He brought it forth from the beginning of man. I wonder how these same teachings apply to Lucifer's plan in the pre-mortal spirit world? Lucifer had gathered quite a large following and it seems it had to be kept "secret" for a while, until they grew to a number large enough that Heavenly Father had to initiate His plan.

I believe the war described in Alma 43 and 44 is a type of the war in heaven, and I feel it gives us a good clue on how it started.

Alma 43:

14 Now those descendants [Lamanites] were as numerous, nearly, as were the Nephites; and thus the Nephites were obliged to contend with their brethren, even unto bloodshed.

I believe these secret combinations to get gain or power is how Satan operates, and I believe it is how he has always operated, even in the pre-mortal spirit world, and even by secretly approaching Eve in the Garden.

We need to be careful of the feeling "no one will know" because it is a great lie Satan uses to justify evil actions. I'm beginning to wonder what role this may have played in his plan to get rid of sin. It could be that he wanted all of us to enter into some kind of covenant to lie about sin and say there wasn't any, perhaps trying to fool justice itself. This goes along with his attitude and plans toward evil in every age, and how he tempts man to get gain and seek power, like himself. Maybe he needed all to follow him for his plan to work, because even if just one was honest, in his mind it would have thwarted his plan.

Just something I'm considering. But, I do know that my New Year's resolution is for me to watch for those moments when I feel I'm doing something because no one will know about it. I'm going to be mindful of those instances and try to remind myself that all will be known one day.

The final scripture in the series comes as a warning to us:

30 And behold, it is he who is the author of all sin. And behold, he doth carry on his works of darkness and secret murder, and doth hand down their plots, and their oaths, and their covenants, and their plans of awful wickedness, from generation to generation according as he can get hold upon the hearts of the children of men.

I plan to have a meaningful discussion with my kids over this issue in the coming week. Hopefully they can watch for those moments where they feel justified because no one will know.

Edited by Justice

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are some very interesting observations. I think that one would have to be pretty mentally unstable to commit crimes and wicked deeds while conscious of others not in league with them knowing. Satan almost always works in secrecy. He knows that he has more influence on the children of men if he can convince them that he doesn't exist. If Satan doesn't exist then why should anyone believe that God exists? And if God doesn't exist then whats the point of being chaste, moral and virtuous? And if we disregard these things of God, Satan has won. ANY and EVERY intentional act of wickedness is, in a way, part of a secret combination. The same secret combination that was organized by the Adversary before this world.

Justice:

Your post hit me like a ton of bricks. Is there a better description of the two political parties that control our government?

1. Do their work in secret behind closed doors trying to hide from the American people what is really going on.

2. Deny wrong doing whenever they are found out. Protect each other but if the same thing happens in the other party - well then they should be removed from office!

The Traveler

Freemasons are no more guilty of 'secret combinations' than LDS temple attending members are.

:confused: What do you want to say? :confused:

"more guilty? So LDS are guilty too, but not as much as others?

Wow, I'm confused!

You're either guilty or not. It's like being pregnant... (or not)

I think "what" the secret is and "why" you're hiding is what you need to consider.

I'm not sure if I want to agree. The "what" and "why" always depends on your very own perspective. A group of suicide bombers might feel that their causes are just and noble... Of course, nobody else would agree.

Where do you draw the line? Keeping things secret is almost next to lying. If not even the same. Espacially if you are forced to lie to keep it secret.

I'm not sure if I want to agree. The "what" and "why" always depends on your very own perspective. A group of suicide bombers might feel that their causes are just and noble... Of course, nobody else would agree.

Where do you draw the line? Keeping things secret is almost next to lying. If not even the same. Espacially if you are forced to lie to keep it secret.

The secret is the means to obtain access to or control of the wealth and power earned and obtained by others by the manipulation of laws and threat or action associated with the lives of those under the threat - an example is current government health care reform - here we have the threat that life will be lost or diminished but there is no health care or service performed by those forcing the extraction of wealth by law. The operative concept is to obtain through secret (deception) control of wealth and power by manipulation or override of law (law being the voice and will of the people). Or if you will the bait and switch scam.

The Traveler

:confused: What do you want to say? :confused:

"more guilty? So LDS are guilty too, but not as much as others?

Wow, I'm confused!

You're either guilty or not. It's like being pregnant... (or not)

In other words, they, and we, are not guilty of "secret combinations" as taught in the Book of Mormon.

HiJolly

HiJolly gave some good scripture...but this: Secret Combinations - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism tells me that they are conspirators, often working directly in league with Satan. I can see where some might find fodder for some wild-eyed theories--but then they use the Bible for such, as well.

The interesting thing, PC, is that these combinations aren't written in scripture to keep them from the wicked. The Nephite writers were forbidden from writing them on the plates that would come forth as the Book of Mormon. But, it is along the lines of what Cain did, namely make a pact of secrecy with Satan. The combinations spoken of in the Book of Mormon involved large groups of people all entering into covenant not to reveal their wickedness... all to get gain and power (just like Cain).

These secret pacts don't have to made individually with Satan, but are primarily made with other people.

I'm a Freemason and my lodge library has a book called "History of Freemasonry" by Albert G. Mackey, a top masonic scholar from the 19th century. In the book he mentions something called "Spurious Freemasonry" that some early masons believed existed during Old Testament times, where a secret group of people had signs, tokens, passwords, rituals, etc. just like the regular masons but had turned to idol worship instead of worshiping the true God. This was mostly believed by those that believe modern masonry has ancient roots. Since Mormonism believes that masonry contains ancient elements I would say our scholars more than likely fall into this camp.

I think the Gadianton Robbers would be a good example of the "Spurious" masons mentioned in this book. Maybe Satan has brought his same secret combination out in every culture and society, even today as well as the BoM times. Satan probably takes the same ritual format but corrupts it into a similar secret society as what modern-day Mormons and Masons practice, but uses it for worship of false gods or Satan. This is similar to how the Church of Satan uses a corruption of the Catholic Mass (for the Black Mass) and the Shriners ritual (in their "Satanic Rituals" book.)

I think more and more of this goes on in secret, we just don't hear about it.

Justice:

Your post hit me like a ton of bricks. Is there a better description of the two political parties that control our government?

1. Do their work in secret behind closed doors trying to hide from the American people what is really going on.

2. Deny wrong doing whenever they are found out. Protect each other but if the same thing happens in the other party - well then they should be removed from office!

The Traveler

Concur...anything hid in secrets will be made known to the servants of GOD.

In my own eyes there are no two parties systems anymore but more of controlling global group whose goal is to merge the masses and unite the world governments unto one power. Even the market of ‘supply and demand’ is now gone on energy commodities in preparation of dumping precious metal [Gold] for commodities as the new monetary backing. More like, warming the frog here [masses].

Justice

Helaman 6:

22 And it came to pass that they did have their signs, yea, their secret signs, and their secret words; and this that they might distinguish a brother who had entered into the covenant, that whatsoever wickedness his brother should do he should not be injured by his brother, nor by those who did belong to his band, who had taken this covenant.

This is very interesting wording: "that whatsoever wickedness his brother should do he should not be injured by his brother."

Typical of today’s secret combination with governments, gangs, and the fame group called the Mafia.

Of the 154 references to "covenant" in the Book of Mormon, 113 of them explain some promises made between God and his children on the earth. Most of the remaining references describe honorable promises made between leaders and individuals, usually to end periods of conflict. But a third and smallest category of passages contains 17 references to evil, secret covenants made between men and the devil. Fifteen of these secret covenant references are found in the book of Helaman and the first chapters of 3 Nephi, where all three types of covenants are mentioned (see Alma 37:27, 29 for the other two secret covenant references). In a similar pattern, of the 41 "oath" references in the Book of Mormon, 20 of them are positive promises openly made between individuals and leaders while 9 of them are righteous oaths made with God or his servants, and the other 12 are negative vows entered into with secret combinations.

"COVENANT" REFERENCES IN HELAMAN AND 3 NEPHI 1-8:

Helaman 1:11 covenant to protect Kishkumen, the murderer

Helaman 1:12 Kishkumen and his secret band

Helaman 2:3 Kishkumen's band seeks Helaman's death

Helaman 6:21 a growing covenant band of robbers

Helaman 6:22 signs and words of the secret band of robbers

Helaman 6:25 Alma's warning not to reveal secret covenants

Helaman 6:26 Satanic origin of the "new" secret covenants

Helaman 6:30 the works and secret covenants of the devil

3 Nephi 5:4 Lamanites covenant to commit no more killings: set free

3 Nephi 5:5 Lamanites who don't covenant to cease killings: punished

3 Nephi 5:25 Lord's covenants with house of Jacob:mentioned five times in one verse

3 Nephi 6:3 covenant by reformed robbers to keep peace in the land

3 Nephi 6:28 evil men covenant with Satan against the righteous

3 Nephi 6:29 covenant against the Lord's people and the laws of the land

3 Nephi 6:30 covenant to destroy the legal government

3 Nephi 7:11 opposition to those of the secret covenant band

One place where secret combinations are very much alive and well, is in the youth drug culture. My wife used to be plugged in to that scene, as one of the few 'trusted outsiders'. That was over a decade ago in Utah.

And it came to pass that they did have their signs, yea, their secret signs, and their secret words; and this that they might distinguish a brother who had entered into the covenant, that whatsoever wickedness his brother should do he should not be injured by his brother, nor by those who did belong to his band, who had taken this covenant.

A few months ago, she had an opportunity to help one kid leave that scene. It was amazing - 14 years and 600 miles away from her prior experience, and it only took a week or two before she was plugged back in. The signs and words and "rules" were all pretty much the same. It turns out three families in our ward and a couple of families in another ward all had kids in this culture. The problem is no more or less prevalent where we live than where any of you do.

I guarantee that for ever twenty people or so, who spend their energies looking for secret combinations in the government, a couple of them have a teenage kid who is off somewhere at 2 in the morning living the high life of the modern day gadianton robber.

LM

On a funny tangent;

When I was 14, my scout troop went to a BSA summer camp, and some of the guys in my troop (myself included) formed our own Gadianton Robbers group. We took Colorado Rockies hats and converted the C into a G, then we would run all over the camp playing practical jokes, stealing guideons, engaging in pinecone wars. It was all in fun and games, and it wasn't until much later on in life that I realized just how bad the Gadianton Robbers were.

Secret Combinations was a frequently used phrase in the early part of the 19th Century. It was used extensively when talking about the Captain Morgan affair, where he mysteriously was made to disappear after revealing Masonic sacred oaths and signs that he had vowed in ceremony to keep secret.

President Benson and Cleon Skousen would have appreciated using this phrase to foster involvement of Church members in the fight against the International Communist Conspiracy, which was threatening our way of life with civil rights demands by Negroes and that African rock and roll music. They knew that the combined secret combinations hatched between Elvis Presley, the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King and the Kremlin would be devastating to life in Salt Lake.

:o

Concerning Masonry and its relation to secret combinations: Joseph Smith was a 3rd degree Mason (the lowest degree needed to attend Masonic meetings I believe) having been granted the title "at sight" (having not had to study and progress through ranks 1 and 2) by the Masonic regional leader (I cant remember the correct term for them). He saw the workings of Masonry first hand and had a good knowledge what they stand for.

Joseph later said the following on the matter, "There are similarities of the priesthood and Masonry. Masonry was taken from the priesthood, but has become degenerated." (Stanley B. Kimball, Heber C. Kimball: Mormon Patriarch and Pioneer, p. 85)

He also said, "Freemasonry, as at present, [is] the apostate endowments, as sectarian religion [is] the apostate religion." (Johnson, My Life's Review, p. 96)

So, according to the Prophet Joseph Smith, Freemasonry, at some point, actually stemmed from the temple endowment. It is compared to the split of sectarian religions from the true religion. It does not mean that either are bad or evil, or could, in any way be referred to as secret combinations.

I think one of the biggest things needed for something to qualify as a secret combination is the intentions being wicked and the secret kept to prevent punishment and justice. We do not enter into a secret combination any time we keep a secret. We do however, in a way, enter into a secret combination anytime we keep a secret for the purpose of hiding our own sinful actions.