I've had it!!

mlbrowninwa

For those of you that don't know, I've been out of work for about five months. I was laid off from a shop that I had worked at for two years in September of 09 and finally found a job at another shop in January, only to be laid off from that shop a week and a half later. I was talking with someone that still works at the first shop last night and found out that they were now trying to hire a service manager(I was not called back)due to the fact that one of their managers quit to go to work at the second shop I was laid off from!!! I can't believe I didn't receive a call back from either one!!

I have been sending out resumes every week to automotive shops in the Portland metro area and even to Seattle and surrounding areas. I can't even get a call back for an interview. I have over 20 years experience. I just don't understand how someone with my background can't even get a foot in the door. I have just about exhausted my savings. I'm having a very hard time keeping a positive attitude about things. I feel like I'm just not meant to work in automotive any longer, but through constant prayer I can't seem to get any direction on where to go from here.

I turn 40 in a couple weeks and it seems really late in the game to start over and train for something else. I'm just at a loss as to where to go from here.:(

I'm so sorry. Could it be that they don't want to hire you for the money you would be making? Your experience says that you would receive higher wages than someone with less experience. That's just a guess though.

I wish I had some advice. I don't. Just know I'm thinking of you and keeping you in prayers.

Thanks beefche. I don't know, that was one of the reasons for the first shop I think. They had been going through and putting everyone on straight commission right before I was laid off. I had stated that I didn't want to go on that pay plan and was shown the door not too long after that. But the second shop I was making less money there than I had in nearly 15 years.

If I'm going to stay at this line of work, maybe it's time to go back in the tool box and leave the management side of things to someone else.

Hang in there brother. Sounds like you have a good bit of experience in the automotive field, and I would stick with that. Though in the mean time, work where ever you can get job - the dollar store, gas station, fast food joint, anything. It will help you feel better about yourself every day. I was unemployed for almost a year between 2001 and 2002, and it was tough. I wish I would have heeded my own advice during that time.

Also, I'm sure you are already doing this, but do stuff on the side to keep your skills up. Make mention in your priesthood quorum that you are available to work on cars on the side at a discount (or even free for those with financial probelms, the Lord will bless you).

I am assuming that you are a continuing to pay yout thithes and offerings from the little income that you do have coming in. If not, that is probably the best advice I can offer you. pay your tithing, as meager as your income is, and make generous fast offerings. Fast offerings especially... The Lord will bless you and you will be left astounded at how things work out for you. I know this from personal experience.

Those are some of my thoughts.

Sincerely,

vanhin

I turn 40 in a couple weeks and it seems really late in the game to start over and train for something else. I'm just at a loss as to where to go from here.:(

I feel for your situation (trust me, I'm in my own hell about money and employment).

However, if you keep thinking this way, you will fulfill your own thoughts on this.

Many people start new careers after 40. Now, they don't necessarily need to go back to school for formalized training, but there are many other paths.

I would suggest learning how to sell. Why? Because you need help to help you sell yourself in an interview and on your resume! And that's what resume's do: help you sell yourself to other potential employers. It could also lead to a better career with more independence than most other careers.

Check out Brian Tracy's website for "Psychology of Selling" and other audios that may help you. I've found Brian Tracy's material to be THE BEST for learning how to sell and manage your time over anyone else (and I've bought a lot of this stuff over the years).

I wish you well!

I agree MorningStar. When I was a kid, my parents had a hard time making ends meet. My father was so innovative. We didn't always like it, but he came up with all kinds of ways and things to sell at fleamarkets and on the side of the road and parking lots. We didn't like it, because he would leave us in charge, and then go to his day job. However, I think it made us stronger as a family and I look at those days with fondness.

We once made these dried flower arrangement wall hanging things. It used as base a varnished weave from Mexico and broom bloom tied into a broom looking thins. Then we would garnish it with dried pods and stuff (you can get from craft stores). We would drive to Dallas once a month and buy the broom bloom and pods bulk. I was a master at making these beautiful wall hangings. We sold a set for $19.99, and made roughly $800 a month extra income (in the 80's), which my dad says made all the difference in paying the bills. He credits us kids for our part in making it all happen.

Anyway, innovation and perseverence brother. Cheer up, and get stoked about something. Involve your whole family in the planning and execution of your enterprise.

Regards,

Vanhin

That is horrible. I am so sorry to hear it. Have you considered the idea of starting your own business? Don't know if it's possible.

Actually I have thought of that. Problem there is that it would have to be something that I could do from home as my wife gets transferred every 3 to 5 years, so we are kind of like a military family. One day here and can be next day somewhere else, just like that. There is a possibility that she may get transferred again in a couple months, which just adds to the frustration. But at times I think that may be one of the reasons I'm having such a hard time, that something there is getting ready to happen that will point me to my new direction.

I know how you feel. I been without job a long time. 40 is not too old to start something new! I started a new life around that time. A new country, a new language, a new family. I got in to higher education, but now no one wants me as I am highly educated+older =expencive. I cant go on practic salary as I have too much education unless I start something completely new... at my age?

I have noticed the only way to get a job is to create one myself. So I am trying to start a kindergarten. Not sure if my health is good enough, but it looks like they wont put me on sickpension eiter... and I have 3-4 friends who want to work with me. I suppose I have to see if I can make it and maybe then get sick when I finally get it going....

My DHs uncle worked a lot her and there; seaman, heavy engines, building... then one day he noticed there was a jobb in taking care of deafblind people he went there and got to try and he really loved his work there.

I REALLY hope you can find a good job.

Also, have you been to your local LDS employment office? they can help you polish your resume, they can do practice interviews and help you with your interviewing skills.

You said you transfer a lot, that doesn't look good on a resume, who wants to hire someone only to have them leave in a few years? Perhaps trying to target national or regional chains would be better for you. (Pep Boys, AAMCO, Midas, etc) it would show a longer history with 1 company and you no doubt could transfer with the company rather than looking for a new job after each move.

I agree with Morningstar - get a blessing -- if nothing else it should give you comfort

And if it helps, I started an entirly new career at age 42 (after being in the same industry for 26 years)-- been in it 11 years now and I love it, I could never image doing now what I used to do.

Edited by mnn727

As you and I have talked extensively about this, you know I can totally relate. I finally went through a staffing agency and they have some great possibilities. Just hoping one of them pans out now.

As you and I have talked extensively about this, you know I can totally relate. I finally went through a staffing agency and they have some great possibilities. Just hoping one of them pans out now.

Yes, we have talked quite a bit about this. We are in the same boat it would appear. My prayers are with you as well that something will come about for you soon.

I haven't been to the local employment office yet, but have touched base with our ward rep. He has a copy of my resumes, but we have been having trouble catching up with each other. Maybe I need to go to the local office and see what they think of the resume.

Provident living has some excellent tips for cover letters, resumes, job interviews, etc. My husband is in construction and was very close to getting laid off (after a demotion) and thanks to those tips, he was chosen for a job over 153 other people after two job interviews. I think the cover letter really helped. That is the first thing they see. Nice paper probably helps too. Let me know if you need some help with that.

I feel for your situation (trust me, I'm in my own hell about money and employment).

However, if you keep thinking this way, you will fulfill your own thoughts on this.

Many people start new careers after 40. Now, they don't necessarily need to go back to school for formalized training, but there are many other paths.

I would suggest learning how to sell. Why? Because you need help to help you sell yourself in an interview and on your resume! And that's what resume's do: help you sell yourself to other potential employers. It could also lead to a better career with more independence than most other careers.

Check out Brian Tracy's website for "Psychology of Selling" and other audios that may help you. I've found Brian Tracy's material to be THE BEST for learning how to sell and manage your time over anyone else (and I've bought a lot of this stuff over the years).

I wish you well!

Brian Tracy rocks!!

Back in ancient times (1969) I got a job at a cabinet shop. A few weeks after I went to work they lost some orders and had to lay people, including myself. off. I got a job driving a delivery truck for a dry cleaner. A few months later I saw an ad that they were hiring. I called them I told them I had never been called back. They told me to come in. I worked there for a few years and left on my own for a better job. If you haven't called them, you should give it a try. It can't hurt. They may have just forgotten about you.

You have nothing to lose.

Many years ago I saw a letter to Dear Abby. The writer was a man that had been a medic in the Army several years before. Many of his friends were telling him he should consider medical school. He asked for her advice and wrote "Abby, if I go to college and medical school now, in ten years I'll be 40 years old". Abby's reply, "How old will you be in ten years if you don't go to school"?

At the time I was considering leaving my job at the post office to attend college and become a teacher. I was 39 when I finished. Forty isn't to old to go in a new direction.

Thanks everyone for the good advice and uplifting me a bit today. I went to the Provident Living site to look around and found some great advice on polishing up the resume and cover letter. I am working on that now. Hopefully it will pay off. Going to check out the church employment office as well in the next day or so. Missionaries stopped by as well today to check in and brought a good refresher message as well. Even though there wasn't any calls today, it turned out to be a good day.

I know of a guy who has been unemployed for some considerable time now. He got so desperate that he started applying for 25+ jobs a day. This obviously means he was sending the same CV (resume) and basically the same application to each job he applied for, so it wasn't customised according to the job description and requirements - there was no time for anything else. It's easy to fall into this trap, rather than applying for as many as you can, apply for less, but take more time on each application.

For those of you that don't know, I've been out of work for about five months. I was laid off from a shop that I had worked at for two years in September of 09 and finally found a job at another shop in January, only to be laid off from that shop a week and a half later. I was talking with someone that still works at the first shop last night and found out that they were now trying to hire a service manager(I was not called back)due to the fact that one of their managers quit to go to work at the second shop I was laid off from!!! I can't believe I didn't receive a call back from either one!!

I have been sending out resumes every week to automotive shops in the Portland metro area and even to Seattle and surrounding areas. I can't even get a call back for an interview. I have over 20 years experience. I just don't understand how someone with my background can't even get a foot in the door. I have just about exhausted my savings. I'm having a very hard time keeping a positive attitude about things. I feel like I'm just not meant to work in automotive any longer, but through constant prayer I can't seem to get any direction on where to go from here.

Don't fill to bad...it is even hard for many here to find a simple job at a local Wal-Mart. I keep laughing at those who still believe we have recovered from this depression and still see many out of work.

Perhaps, opening your own shop is a better route for you...

Please forgive me if you've already mentioned this and I missed it but if I had a break in employment I would go as soon as possible and file for unemployment and that would bring in at least some $$ while you were beating the bushes for a new job. A buddy of mine just got laid off after 15 yrs and he filed right away. It has kept him afloat and allowed him to keep the landlord off of his back while he searches for another. It's already been a few months and he is having a hard time also being about the same age maybe a little older than you but you got to keep praying and moving. Every one gets knocked down from time to time. Just don't let it keep you down, get up and out knocking on every door possible maybe even doing like you mentioned, going back to turning the wrenches at a lower salary. Having good mechanic skills is a very much needed thing as long as there are cars on the road and I do believe that will be for a while. God bless!