Do you get less flat tires if you are righteous?

PeterRiley

I realize this is a silly thread title, but I got to wondering if by following the commandments we are in a better position to receive blessings other than the three most talked about blessings: personal revelation, the feeling of the Holy Ghost, and being financially rewarded for paying tithes and offerings.

It goes without saying that there are natural benefits to keeping the commandments, like better health if one keeps the Word of Wisdom, but does the Lord grant blessings other than the three mentioned above? For example, say for example one day I say my prayers, read my scriptures, think pure thoughts, etc. Will I be less likely to get a flat tire on this day than on a day that I am being unrighteous? I realize that following the gospel gives one the Spirit, which gives one the strength to pass through trials whether it be a flat tire or experiencing the passing on of a loved one. And it seems that faithful active members experience the same amount of trials than non-members do. But does anyone think that there are good and bad things that naturally occur to someone that might be seemingly unrelated to the commandments he/she keeps or breaks?

The reason why I ask is that I want more of an incentive to follow the Lord, and if I hear other's examples and opinions, it might help with this. Thanks a lot.

Edited by PeterRiley

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think sometimes there's a link. For example, someone who's trying to pay 10% tithing is going to be more aware of his income, and therefore is more likely to have a budget, and therefore more likely to have his finances under control.

But the blessings aren't always obviously linkable. And frankly, ultimately having the Spirit with me will be plenty of incentive once I fully comprehend how the Spirit can work in my life.

IMO, the Lord wants us to follow Him because we love Him, not because of what we might get from the relationship.

I feel like a bad person, as I think my motives might be different than most members. I help others because it makes ME feel good. I am a very devoted member and magnify my leadership calling, but I don't keep the commandments and help others in order to please a being I have never met, I do it because it MAKES ME FEEL GOOD, and I assume that I will be blessed in other ways, ie not getting a flat tire, getting a raise at work, etc. So will I not be saved in the end because my motives were not to purely help people, but to make me feel a certain way and receive other benefits?

You mean the promise of eternal life in the company of our Heavenly Father isn't enough incentive to be good?

Not when I am in my early 40's it doesn't. It seems like such a far time away, and I know I can be hit by a bus any day, but to be honest, I do not keep the commandments with the hope of eternal life. I do it hoping to feel good afterward and to receive other blessings like I mentioned in my previous post.

I feel like a bad person, as I think my motives might be different than most members. I help others because it makes ME feel good. I am a very devoted member and magnify my leadership calling, but I don't keep the commandments and help others in order to please a being I have never met, I do it because it MAKES ME FEEL GOOD, and I assume that I will be blessed in other ways, ie not getting a flat tire, getting a raise at work, etc. So will I not be saved in the end because my motives were not to purely help people, but to make me feel a certain way and receive other benefits?

I have thought on this quite a bit and have concluded we are all selfish. Every commandment obeyed brings a blessing upon our head. As we serve others we recieve more then what we gave. In all reality how can you not be selfish. You are the center of your universe. Without you there is nothing. I'm so glad the feeling of perfect love does not include me thinking about these things. lol Don't burn me too badly on this one.:) :)

Put simply, we figure there are two sorts of blessings that come from keeping the commandments. The first type is the eternal stuff - mansions in heaven and return to HF's presence and what not. The second type is the temporal stuff - blessings that come to us during our mortal probation.

The Gospel Principles book is full of the various earthly blessings that can be realized when we live righteously. Especially Unit Seven - the 'thou shalts':

The Sabbath Day

Fasting

Sacrifice

Work and Personal Responsibility

Service

The Lord’s Law of Health

Charity

Honesty

Tithes and Offerings

Missionary Work

Developing Our Talents

Obedience

The Sabbath Day

Fasting

Sacrifice

Service

The Lord’s Law of Health

Charity

Honesty

Tithes and Offerings

Missionary Work

Developing Our Talents

Obedience The Sabbath Day

Fasting

Sacrifice

Service

The Lord’s Law of Health

Charity

Honesty

Tithes and Offerings

Missionary Work

Developing Our Talents

Obedience

You can look through the book to hear about the temporal blessings. One recurring theme across them is joy, and peace. Two items that are in pretty high demand, and pretty hard to find here on earth sometimes.

LM

I have skimmed through the OP and the reply's, and have decided to go with my 'from the hip' thought when I first read the title of the thread.

Do you get less flat tires if you are righteous . . .

No, nor are you tempted less. What you do get is the ability/power to react righteously to the flat tires, temptations, road blocks, adversities.

True story: Shortly after I reactivated into the Church, my car kept losing its muffler. Before going back to church I would have cussed, been angry and tossed the muffler into the ocean. But I didn't, I carried around two oven mitts so I wouldn't burn my hands when I picked the dang thing up off the roadway. After the fourth time of losing it, I actually sat on the roadway and laughed so hard I ended up with tears running down my face.

My best friend and car mechanic finally discovered that the muffler was defective and got me a replacement from the manufacturer - no charge!

Once the muffler was fixed, my water holding tank (well fed) sprung a leak- or so I thought. I was always running out of water- yet the well pump was working and the well had water. A new holding tank would have cost me close to $1K to replace with labor not included!

What happened was the holding tank didn't leak but the pipe that lead out of it to the house had sprung a leak right at the house side of the shut off valve. It was such an easy fix- only cost $6.95 too- new 6" piece of pipe, coupler, small can of primer and small can of glue. I did the fix myself. Again, prior to coming back to Church I would have gotten extremely angry, cussed all over the place, threw things, etc. I didn't, I called the well dude to check it out. Wasn't even upset when it cost me $75 for the house call.

Coming back to church, paying my tithing, and following the commandments helped me to be a mellow person. Quick on compassion and to hold back the swearing and hissy fits/temper tantrums.

Temptations, road blocks, adversities, trials and tribulations still smack me down. BUT having God in my life, and living a much more righteous life has given me the shield of protection, and the strength to fight off the adversary. To deal with these things in a Christ like way.

Marts1-You hit it on the head, righteous folks really are selfish, but in a good way. :)

Loudmouth mormon-joy and peace are great, but aren't we entitled to something more?

Iggy-You made a good point in the last post-the most faithful folks in the gospel many times are the most mellow. Maybe you got the muffler from the manufacturer for free and found out you didnt have to replace you holding tank because you were righteous, what do you think?

Alright, say you have two guys, both are faithful priesthood holders, one's calling is passing out bulletins before sacrament, and the other's calling is the bishop. What blessings besides "treasures in heaven" would be given to the bishop? Isn't it unjust that we don't get blessed temporally for things we do? I realize we are given the Spirit which mellows us out a bit, but couldnt we essentially learn "mellowness" from self help books, therapists, and self discipline?

Loudmouth mormon-joy and peace are great, but aren't we entitled to something more?

Well, as someone who has fought very hard for the sometimes meager amounts of both for much of his life, I guess you're asking the wrong guy.

From my experience with other members of the human race, joy and peace are rare commodities that are often sought after but rarely found. If you're unsatisfied because you've got them both but want more, I'd suggest that you might actually be missing one or both. After all, one can hardly be unsatisfied and at peace at the same time, right?

What would you say if someone asked you for the definitions of joy and peace?

LM

. . . joy and peace are great, but aren't we entitled to something more?

King Benjamin taught, in no uncertain terms, that we are entitled to nothing. Look at the early chapters of Mosiah.

Isn't it unjust that we don't get blessed temporally for things we do?

Of course not. God doesn't owe us anything. It is us who are debtors to Him--and we have been so ever since we were created.

Now, the D&C teaches that

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

But it isn't necessarily given to us to know precisely which blessings--temporal or otherwise--are tied to which laws.

I realize we are given the Spirit which mellows us out a bit, but couldnt we essentially learn "mellowness" from self help books, therapists, and self discipline?

Quite bluntly, I think you're selling the Spirit short by quite a bit. Take a gander at this:

An intelligent being, in the image of God, possesses, every organ, attribute, sense, sympathy, affection, of will, wisdom, love, power and gift, which is possessed by God Himself.

But . . . these attributes are in embryo, and are to be gradually developed. They resemble a bud, a germ, which gradually develops into bloom, and then, by progress, produces the mature fruit after its own kind.

The gift of the Holy Spirit adapts itself to all these organs or attributes. It quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands and purifies all the natural passions and affections, and adapts them, by the gift of wisdom, to their lawful use. It inspires, develops, cultivates and matures all the fine toned sympathies, joys, tastes, kindred feelings and affections of our nature. It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness and charity. It develops beauty of person, form and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation and social feeling. It develops and invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man. It strengthens, invigorates and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being.

In the presence of such persons one feels to enjoy the light of their countenances, as the genial rays of a sunbeam. Their very atmosphere diffuse and thrill, a warm glow of pure gladness and sympathy, to the heart and nerves of others who have kindred feelings, or sympathy of spirit…

Parley P. Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, 101-102

Self-help books and therapists look pretty pathetic compared to all that.

The Gospel exists to make men good, not to make them wealthy.

I have thought on this quite a bit and have concluded we are all selfish. Every commandment obeyed brings a blessing upon our head. As we serve others we recieve more then what we gave. In all reality how can you not be selfish. You are the center of your universe. Without you there is nothing. I'm so glad the feeling of perfect love does not include me thinking about these things. lol Don't burn me too badly on this one.:) :)

I disagree. Being righteous is not selfish. A truly righteous person does what he does because that is what he has become. Being righteous is not selfish because righteousness blesses others.

What did Jesus teach?

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Teaches you to weather it better

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

But doesn't seem to make a difference. Besides the obvious problems of thinking "what do i get out of it"

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

You run the risk of thinking "so and so is having a hard time, they must not be righteous enough "

Little or no correlation. (See Matthew 5:44-45) If we accept the premise that the righteous receive more blessings, the other side of the coin is that the millions upon millions of people in this world who suffer from poverty, starvation, disease, oppressive governments and religions, etc. are guilty of wrongdoing, while the comparatively wealthy, fat Westerners are more righteous. I don't buy it.

HEP

In Elder Maxwell's book, All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience, he lists 4 reasons for why bad things happen to people:

1) It rains on the just and the unjust (random badness happens to mortals).

2) Consequence of your choices (sins or otherwise).

3) Consequence of others' choices (sins or otherwise).

4) Special case where the Lord decides to give you an experience to improve you in some way.

I'd say that if you are righteous then the you eliminate part of #2...no negative consequences from your sin if you don't commit sin, but you can make non-sinful decisions that lead to difficulties (such as borrowing money, etc.).

Numbers 1, 3, 4 are still in play, even if you're more perfectly compliant with all of the Lord's commandments.

--drmount

hello, have flat tires us forward in life, we are calling into question all the time. And I think being taught by another religion makes me move. Changing a wheel is also difficult for some than making its own choices in life. The tithe that you create and awareness, we are more responsible than we would for some other faith. I would like my christening goes well and that I should not be deflated by this or that. your post is very true and I thank you.

Oh you are a mechanic, come fix my car it makes a noise. I do not understand or that may come

Edited by personne
j'suis bête, j'arrive pas à éditer.

5 For I remember the word of God which saith by their works ye shall know them; for if their works be good, then they are good also.

6 For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing.

7 For behold, it is not counted unto him for righteousness.

8 For behold, if a man being evil giveth a gift, he doeth it grudgingly; wherefore it is counted unto him the same as if he had retained the gift; wherefore he is counted evil before God.

9 And likewise also is it counted evil unto a man, if he shall pray and not with areal intent of heart; yea, and it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such.

10 Wherefore, a man being evil cannot do that which is good; neither will he give a good gift.

11 For behold, a bitter fountain cannot bring forth good water; neither can a good fountain bring forth bitter water; wherefore, a man being a servant of the devil cannot follow Christ; and if he follow Christ he cannot be a servant of the devil.

Moroni 7

Alright, say you have two guys, both are faithful priesthood holders, one's calling is passing out bulletins before sacrament, and the other's calling is the bishop. What blessings besides "treasures in heaven" would be given to the bishop? Isn't it unjust that we don't get blessed temporally for things we do? I realize we are given the Spirit which mellows us out a bit, but couldnt we essentially learn "mellowness" from self help books, therapists, and self discipline?

bishop may not be the better guy or the most righteous of the two its the heart with which your approach the calling that counts. Right now I am inactive and have no calling that does not mean I cannot serve