After passing on

Mirium

I lost a friend this week, do you think once someone has passed on to the spirit world they are able to see what goes on here on earth with their family and friends

I hope not. Seriously the idea of my mother "checking in" freaks me out.

Though on a personal note i had a comforting experience shortly after my mothers passing that if it was coincidence it was a million to one shot.

Edited by hordak

I recall Spencer W. Kimball saying something to the effect of once we pass on we'll have unlimited knowledge. I'm not sure if that was before or after the Second Coming of Christ.

I believe the people who die, with the exception of those who are sent to spirit prison, will be so happy and contented that we mortal slobs would hold little interest to them. We do know that Angels deliver messages, and I believe that on rare occaisons deceased family members may be called to deliver a message; the purpose of the deceased appearing is to help those contacted to immediately believe in the message, be it a warning, an offer of assistance, or important instructions/revelations that would otherwise be dismissed as a dream, hallucination or an overactive imagination.

Obviously, the Church has been quiet on this subject. So, in answer to the question--we don't know.

It is my personal belief that the spirit world is similar to our world in that they are not aware of us here, but can have special experiences to see into our world. Just as I am not aware of the spirit world, but I can have spiritual experience to either "see" family/friends or have deep impressions of their circumstances/presence.

I lost a friend this week, do you think once someone has passed on to the spirit world they are able to see what goes on here on earth with their family and friends

It would depend on their spiritual welfare prior to death. Even I have even been visited by evil spirits that died unworthily.

Are we receipted enough to see and hear them is the question to ask.

Edited by Hemidakota

I recall Spencer W. Kimball saying something to the effect of once we pass on we'll have unlimited knowledge. I'm not sure if that was before or after the Second Coming of Christ.

This is only given to those who are Church of the Firstborn, who reside in the presence of the FATHER. They will have the ability to see 'higher kingdoms' (see Revelations - 'White Stone' John witnessed) beside the lesser kingdoms, due to the glorified world they will reside on is nothing more than an Urim and Thummim. . They will have the ability to receive knowledge that is not given to lesser glorified states, they own state, and what is higher than them. If this is the case, those below this group of children, will only be given knowledge pertaining to that state they reside and nothing greater. (See D&C 88)

We all have our opinions. Mine is that the answer is a qualified 'yes', it is something they are generally able to do. Especially if they are in Paradise.

HiJolly

i don't know if everyone is permitted to see this world but i know someone that was visited by a family member that passed on and he was able to tell her about all the significant events in her life that happened after his death. so i know some ppl are permitted to know what is happening with family.

i'm not sure if his work had been done at that time or not. he was not a member when he died nor was he a blood relative of the woman he visited. i do know he also visited his wife after his death before either of them were members.

Gwen it was merely my curiosity. Then, I firmly believe, his limited knowledge is only to where he is at, and the reception method of the person in order to receive it.

Let you know, I was visited by my mortal father a few times, but his temple work was done already. My mother now, is a different story. Her work is not done at this time.

Thanks again Gwen.

Yes. For example our testimonites are recorded and viewed in heaven.

The Traveler

I think eventually we will have the ability to see all that happened here if not right away, even down to the desires of our heart. The interesting thing about that statement though is, who is not family or friends?

I think we will quickly realize once we pass from this world, what a short stay it was and return to our longer relationships that were established before this world began. Who knows, our real "friends" may have lived in the first century or come way after us. This world is like coming to summer camp and then we go back home. Some of our relationships here we can have the privilidge of continuing if we are sealed and lived worthily but as those "family and friends" talked about have not yet completed their stay here or their calling and election may not yet be sure, then there may not be so much of a link or at least not until their journey is over. In other words, the person who passed' interest in their "family and friends" from here may not be any different than their interest in anyone else in this world.

I "felt" communication from my mother after her passing a couple of times. It was so strong! I could have sworn she was right there with me although I didn't "hear" her voice. I don't know with a certainty that she was actually there in spirit and observing all that was going on. It may have just been that I knew her so well while she was alive that I knew exactly how she'd want me to act and what to do in these two situations. Same thing happened after my father passed away.

My sisters have talked about sensing their "essence"- not seeing them with physical eyes or feeling their touch on our skin but just about feeling them in a spiritual way.

Also, we've had some remarkable experiences with physical signs appearing at certain times as if they were sent by my mother. I don't want to tell what that sign is here on this forum because it's too special to my family. But I would guess that a mother who has passed on would have special interest and concern for her children and be allowed to watch over them from heaven at times.

I've been to several temple weddings where the temple sealer has said that deceased members of the family who were close to the ones getting married are able to visit and be present at the ceremony. My brother got married after my mother died. When the sealer mentioned this we all burst into tears (as if it wasn't emotional enough that he was finally getting married at 36) ;-) No one said afterward that they saw her but it was so comforting to know she was actually there with us.

A book that I have read and really enjoyed, "Beyond Knowing" was written by someone who isn't LDS but works very closely with deceased and their families. She is a forensic pathologist named Janis Amatuzio. I recommend you google her and look into reading her books. They are fascinating and heart warming.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry if I'm late to the party on this.

While I am not sure of the extent of what people have passed on can witness, or how much they are around us, I know that they have the ability to visit us.

My dad passed away about 5 years ago when I was 21. A while after he left, my uncle had a dream where my dad gave him a tour of his cabin in the woods, he said how it fit his personality to a tee. They sat and shared a few laughs as well. My dad let him know that he was happy now and he had nothing clouding his mind anymore (my dad spent most of his life battling bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia). There eventually came a time when my dad told him that it was time for him to leave. As they were walking out, my uncle noticed a small rowboat with a couple of fishing poles in it. He knew that my dad was never one to care to fish. He asked why it was there and my dad replied, "Gordon, those aren't for me, they are for Kevin. He's not going to make it."

Almost 2 years ago, my uncle Kevin died from liver failure.

While it was a bitter sweet dream, but I don't doubt for a second that it was my dad in his dream and they actually spoke with each other.