Cooking with, or eating something cooked in alco-ma-hol

Tephrochr

I know it's a relatively trivial, and highly personalized Word of Wisdom-related question, but where do you personally stand on cooking with, or eating something cooked in alcohol?

I found this whilst browsing on the subject; hopefully it may help you:

Substitutes for Alcohol in Cooking - GourmetSleuth

In answer to your question I would go on what your conscience tells you. :)

God bless,

Alan

Guest Godless

Alcohol evaporates very quickly. Assuming that it's been cooked properly, there shouldn't be any actual alcohol in it. This means that it should be fine.

This is a myth (to be fair, I used to believe it also). Yes, alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water, 173° as opposed to 212°, but that doesn't mean that it will all cook out. The maximum (internal) cooking temperature for most foods is 165°. For red meat and sauces, it tends to be lower. The amount of alcohol burned out depends largely on the cooking time. The longer you cook something, the more alcohol will evaporate. So a dish that is slowly simmered will lose more alcohol than something that is sautéed or pan-seared. But even then, some of the alcohol will remain. Basically, think of alcohol like water. It's hard to cook out all of the water in a dish regardless of how long you keep it at temps above 212°. Alcohol is no different. It may have a lower evaporation point, but that doesn't mean that it will all burn out instantly once 173° has been reached.

As for my personal opinion about cooking with alcohol, I think it's a beautiful thing. A good beer or fine wine ("cooking wine" is a vile invention) can add some amazing layers of complexity and flavor to a dish.

That may very well be, but I can tell you that the Alcohol content is 0.0% in the typical steak and ale pie sold down at Tesco's. ;)

That suggests that if alcohol does stick around, it's in trace amounts.

My bishop seems to think it's fine.

This is a myth (to be fair, I used to believe it also). Yes, alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water, 173° as opposed to 212°, but that doesn't mean that it will all cook out. The maximum (internal) cooking temperature for most foods is 165°. For red meat and sauces, it tends to be lower. The amount of alcohol burned out depends largely on the cooking time. The longer you cook something, the more alcohol will evaporate. So a dish that is slowly simmered will lose more alcohol than something that is sautéed or pan-seared. But even then, some of the alcohol will remain. Basically, think of alcohol like water. It's hard to cook out all of the water in a dish regardless of how long you keep it at temps above 212°. Alcohol is no different. It may have a lower evaporation point, but that doesn't mean that it will all burn out instantly once 173° has been reached.

As for my personal opinion about cooking with alcohol, I think it's a beautiful thing. A good beer or fine wine ("cooking wine" is a vile invention) can add some amazing layers of complexity and flavor to a dish.

Guest Godless

As I said, the longer something is cooked, the more alcohol will be burned off. So in the case of a pie that's baked for a long period of time, you're probably right. The fact that the ale is simmered first helps also. My Stoopid Mashed Potatoes™ on the other hand, probably retain a good amount of alcohol.

Edited by Godless

I have no problem with it. I typically only use cooking wine though, which isn't found in the alcohol section but rather with oils in my grocery store. It has a higher salt content and it's not very conducive to drinking anyway.

Edited by Wingnut
forgot the 'not'

i don't cook with it and when i go out to eat i live by "what you don't know won't hurt you". in the end i figure with most foods today the preservatives and crap the industries put in them are far more toxic to my body then any small amt of alcohol for flavor.

I know it's a relatively trivial, and highly personalized Word of Wisdom-related question, but where do you personally stand on cooking with, or eating something cooked in alcohol?

just make sure to cook it thoroughly. If done right there shouldn't be any alcohol left in the food.

I take no issue with it. Then again my favorite cold medicine NyQuil contains like 25% alcohol.

If i was using rum instead of milk in my cheerios it might be an issue. But otherwise it's no different then using a medication in it's prescribed format IMO.

i use imitation vanilla. i actually don't like the taste of the real stuff.

Checking the stuff in the cabinet the imitation stuff contains alcohol as well. I also took a peek at some of the other flavored extracts and noticed the mint extract I have (I imagine it varies a bit by brand) was actually 170 proof. :eek:

Edited by Dravin

lol ok yes i feel like a dork.....

the vanilla, most used in my house, "water, caramel color, artificial flavor, citric acid and sodium benzoate (preservative)"

the peppermint is "alcohol (89%), oil of peppermint, and water" the bottle is only contains 1 oz and i've had it forever. lol i usually use a natural peppermint oil instead of the extract.

the only other one i have is orange (also 1oz) and it's "alcohol (80%), water, and oil of orange" it's almost gone and i've had it forever, honestly can't remember when the last time i used it was..... lol

i've checked before, the stuff i've bought in the past does not... haven't checked the other extracts lol i really don't care all that much. i don't get carded for it. ;)

I don't particularly care either. My objection is mostly appearance based and entirely visceral, I would not feel comfortable buying a bottle of wine, beer or liquor. I just find it interesting that a lot of us essentially cook with (admittedly small quantities) of what amounts to a flavored liquor, or would have no moral qualms about doing so, and don't think twice about it. If a recipe called for a teaspoon of mint extract I'd do it in a heartbeat, if it called for a teaspoon of brandy I'd balk. Of course the really funny part here is the mint extract would actually add more alcohol to the dish than using brandy would.

Edited by Dravin

I don't particularly care either. My objection is mostly appearance based and entirely visceral, I would not feel comfortable buying a bottle of wine, beer or liquor. I just find it interesting that a lot of us essentially cook with (admittedly small quantities) of what amounts to a flavored liquor, or would have no moral qualms about doing so, and don't think twice about it. If a recipe called for a teaspoon of mint extract I'd do it in a heartbeat, if it called for a teaspoon of brandy I'd balk. Of course the really funny part here is the mint extract would actually add more alcohol to the dish than using brandy would.

That is rather interesting.

I have a bottle of cherry brandy that we once used for a cheese fondue (that was nasty). The only other time I have used it was for a black forest chocolate cherry cake. The cake was delicious, but I hesitate to make it often because the setting in which I'm mostly likely to make it is on scouting trips (the BSA strictly forbids the use of alcohol in any form). But now that I know this about extracts, I'm taking a bottle of mint extract just to spite the exceptionally irritating camp director.

That is rather interesting.

I have a bottle of cherry brandy that we once used for a cheese fondue (that was nasty). The only other time I have used it was for a black forest chocolate cherry cake. The cake was delicious, but I hesitate to make it often because the setting in which I'm mostly likely to make it is on scouting trips (the BSA strictly forbids the use of alcohol in any form). But now that I know this about extracts, I'm taking a bottle of mint extract just to spite the exceptionally irritating camp director.

That's it. Your anger gives you strength

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/61083c2adfaa6480

Give in to the darkside;)

This is a myth (to be fair, I used to believe it also). Yes, alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water, 173° as opposed to 212°, but that doesn't mean that it will all cook out.

Yes, that is true and it is that very small percentage residual that we must worry about due to its lack of valiance in the pre-existence. If that was not so, then any worry about this residual would be like tilting at windmills for peculiarities sake. Not a pretty thought, if we value good mental health as much as good physical health.