Scary children's movies

Wingnut

As a spinoff of this thread, and the odd placement of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory on a list of the top 50 scariest horror movies of all time, I want to know what movie scared the crap out of you as a child.

What movie was it?

How old were you when you first saw it?

Can you watch it today without being traumatized?

Mine is E.T. I was maybe two years old when my grandmother took me to see it in theaters, against my mother's express wishes. Over the next few years I saw it a few more times, but it always scared me. I cannot watch it today, even at almost 30 years old.

Dumbo

i don't know how old i was, but that part where the elephants seem to be on acid or something is entirely creepy and to this day i still cannot watch that part of the movie.

also....coraline (which i'm told isn't supposed to be for kids, but really?....i know tons of kids who have seen it) and monster house (both watched in my 20s and creeped me out as i watched them)

Watcher in the Woods, and Something Wicked this Way Comes. I was maybe 7 or 6 when I saw those. And yes, I could definitely watch them now without caring.

Both by Disney and both creeped me out really bad.

Also, King Kong Junior gave me regular nightmares for years. I was about 3 years old when I saw it and doubt anyone could find it anywhere.

something wicked this way comes is possibly one of my favorite movies ever!

i watched poltergeist when i was about 7 or 8, as well as golden child and children of the corn. all those freaked me out and i still can't watch them. (i don't do well with scary movies)

OH, I forgot about Poltergeist! Even though that seems scarier, the Something Wicked This Way Comes wouldn't scare me now, but I think it is still creepier than Poltergeist.

And the movie cover of Children of the Corn scared me so bad that I could never watch it. I hate movies with evil children in them and refuse to watch them.

The dark crystal. I loved this movie and yet the skekis (spelling?) scared the heeby jeebies out of me. I also saw part of Steven King's "Cat's Eye" and that scared me so badly I changed the way I slept and still sleep that way to this day.

To explain, in the movie Cat's Eye a little girl takes in a cat, her family though tells her that the cat will steal her breath in the night and do their utmost to get rid of the cat. Turns out there is a wicked little gnome-like monster that lives in her walls that comes out at night and tries to steal her breath instead, and her only source of protection, yep you got it the cat.

Scared me so badly that I had to figure out some way to sleep at night without fear that my breath would be stolen. So I slept with tons of stuffed animals and convinced myself that they would come alive and protect me in the night, and told myself that if I slept with my mouth closed that my breath would not be stolen. To this day it bothers me deeply to breathe through my mouth, and because of that I freak out when I can't breathe through my nose. My husband loves kissing me on the nose just to hear my frantic sniffles as I try to clear it so I can breathe clearly again.

I also was bothered by Dumbo, the drunk scene was always too much for me. Pink elephants, ugh *shudders*.

My biggest problem with scary movies is that I tend to scream during them and then end up having nightmares and fear of whatever I saw for a long time afterward. Heck I am still scared of the dark, why fill my head with other things to be scared of.

I'm with Urbanfool on the talking doll thing. Trilogy of Terror still scares the pee out of me. I have a friend who has that wicked doll and scares me with it. He's also threatened to buy me a Talking Tina doll from the old Twilight Zone show.

Also the flying monkey from Wizard of Oz. I don't like monkeys of any kind because of them. They even scare me in the musical Wicked.

The Wizard of Oz. Those flying monkies still scare me. And the hidden truth about Glenda, the "good" witch of the North. First of all goodwitch is an oximoron. She was actually the evil witch because she knew ALL ALONG that all Dorothy had to do was click her heals together three times and she would be back home but.....OH NO!!!! THE FLYING MONKIES, THE SCARY FORREST, THE POISON FLOWERS EVERYTHING!!!!! could have been avoided if that STUPID GLENDA THE "GOOD:...yeah RIGHT! WITCH OF THE NORTH would have told Dorothy the truth WAY back before she KILLED her poor sister smashing a HOUSE on her. GEESH!!!!...A HOUSE??? A LITTLE OVER KILL THERE DON'T YA THINK GLENDA!!! ... Whew! Glad I got THAT off my chest. Been holding that in since I was 3 feet tall. :P Thanks Wingnut.

also....coraline (which i'm told isn't supposed to be for kids, but really?....i know tons of kids who have seen it) and monster house (both watched in my 20s and creeped me out as i watched them)

Just another couple of movies in this recent trend of cartoons for adults.

Watcher in the Woods, and Something Wicked this Way Comes. I was maybe 7 or 6 when I saw those. And yes, I could definitely watch them now without caring.

I saw Something Wicked This Way Comes with I was 13 or 14. It was creepy, but it didn't scare me. I had read the book for my English class, and the movie was more fantastical than I had imagined, but the book wa a little ocnfusing in places, so the movie helped me put it together.

The child catcher in Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang

My husband hates that movie, but won't tell me why. I think it's the child catcher. I love it for the awesome music.

I'm with Urbanfool on the talking doll thing. Trilogy of Terror still scares the pee out of me. I have a friend who has that wicked doll and scares me with it. He's also threatened to buy me a Talking Tina doll from the old Twilight Zone show.

I actually have a problem with talking dolls a little, now that I think of it. I'm not crazy about vintage dolls and a lot of vintage toys. For a long time, I couldn't watch Toy Story, because Sid's toys creeped me out too much. I'm okay with it now, but I missed out on many years of Toy Story watching because of the creepy hairless dollhead on the mechanical octopus legs.

Whew! Glad I got THAT off my chest. Been holding that in since I was 3 feet tall. :P Thanks Wingnut.

Uh, sorry? :D

Yeah, Coraline gave me the heebie-jeebies when I saw it last month.

No kid movie really got to me as a kid. Of course, my parents had HBO and Showtime, so I'd get up after they went to sleep at night and watch the R movies. The Shining, Scanners, a few others - they scared me as a kid.

I have two little girls - one of them REALLY HATES movies where people are being mean to each other on purpose. Movies with bad guys in them, she's usually ok with, unless the bad guy is a bully. She'll leave the room if some poor innocent person is getting ill-treated by a bully.

I have two little girls - one of them REALLY HATES movies where people are being mean to each other on purpose. Movies with bad guys in them, she's usually ok with, unless the bad guy is a bully. She'll leave the room if some poor innocent person is getting ill-treated by a bully.

Sounds like you have a pretty awesome daughter there. Those kind of movies bother me as well, along with movies where everything goes terribly wrong for the main character. I have walked out of the room on movies like that too.

Guest Alana

Nothing except zombies scared my husband as a kid. NOw he loves zombies, probably a little too much. I on the other hand was pretty sensitive. I remember watching critters and gremlins... terrifying. I have to put my foot down a lot for our kids on which movies they watch. I don't want them to be so scared as I was.

A movie that I could see being creepy but I really like is Nightmare before Christmas.

Oh lord... When I was a kid, I was TERRIFIED of the film "Hansel And Gretel" by Fairy Tale Theater, lol. They actually have all the Fairy Tale Theater films on YouTube. Here is the part of the film I always thought was the most scary, lol:

YouTube - FTT (S2) - "Hansel & Gretel" pt.4/5

Man, that witch used to scare the daylights out of me. I was terrified of ALL elderly women when I was little, because my jerk of a brother told me that ALL women become witches and eat children when they get old-- and that I would too some day, lol. He was so mean!! He had me terrified of my own grandmother, lol. I asked him why grandma never ate us, and he said, "She's waiting for us to get fat! Why do you think she gives us so many cookies?"

Then when our family got stationed in Germany, it got worse... My brother looked over at me during the car drive to our new house and said, "You know, Germany is where the story Hansel and Gretel REALLY happened..."

*SIGH* Brothers...

Edited by Melissa569