Testimony Meetings

Moksha

Our YSA ward is having a Comedy Night soon. Although my ward is pretty good- it's rare that we get stories instead of testimonies, and only rarely does someone testify of something other than the simple facets of the Church (like one sister who likes to testify of the reality of Satan, or the influence of good (non-scriptural) books ever month...).

Thankfully the men who have served as Bishops in our ward since DH and I moved in have been bold enough to tap someone on the shoulder if their Testimony starts wandering in non-Gospel directions, or if they've taken up too much time. The letter from the First Presidency that was released a few years ago about "appropriate Testimonies" is also read at least annually. It's typically only the seniors who's minds are "wandering", and one or two members who seem to *only* show up for Testimony meetings, who still talk more about their travels and family happenings than actual gospel topics. The majority of the testimonies are "on topic" and edifying.

Thankfully the men who have served as Bishops in our ward since DH and I moved in have been bold enough to tap someone on the shoulder if their Testimony starts wandering in non-Gospel directions, or if they've taken up too much time. The letter from the First Presidency that was released a few years ago about "appropriate Testimonies" is also read at least annually. It's typically only the seniors who's minds are "wandering", and one or two members who seem to *only* show up for Testimony meetings, who still talk more about their travels and family happenings than actual gospel topics. The majority of the testimonies are "on topic" and edifying.

Hi Jena, I don't think my ward ever read the "appropriate testimony" letter from the First Presidency, would you mind paraphrasing what it said? Thanks a lot.

Sometimes I think it's a lost cause, hoping someone will teach the correct way to give a testimony. I think a lot of people have never been told how it is done

Every few months, in my ward, it is 'mentioned' by the Bishopric what constitutes an appropriate testimony. Ironically, one of the biggest "offenders" is in the Bishopric. Only a handful of the members give a true testimony, as opposed to a travelogue, a family up-date, or the I am thankful for... we can go through a Fast and Testimony meeting with only an occasional "I testify" being said.

Children seem to learn so much easier than many adults.

So true in our ward. Our Primary does a wonderful job..with prayer and testimony etiquette.

have been bold enough to tap someone on the shoulder if their Testimony starts wandering in non-Gospel directions, or if they've taken up too much time.

The Bishop in my previous ward would do that. A gentle tap on the shoulder, and a whisper in his ear...

Children seem to learn so much easier than many adults. Ha ha! I love to hear children's testimonies. Even when they need a little help.

Unfortunately in our last ward children did learn easier. But they learned to parrot each other. And it's the same "testimony"word for word kids have been giving for at least 30 years... "For those who don't know me, I'm___________. I know the church is true. I know ____________ is a prophet. I love my family. In the name of......"

I don't doubt they sincerely want to bear their testimony but I do doubt they really have one. It seems to be the kids who really seek the spotlight who are up there every month. Sometimes 10 kids in a row all saying the same thing. Some giggle their way through it. Some get flustered if they get the order wrong.

But occasionally a kid will get up there and you can just sense their sincerity. The Spirit immediately kicks ON and there is no doubt they really have felt what they are saying. They are an inspiration to everyone, even at very young ages.

As for the rest of them, it probably will never change so we just have come to expect it. At least it's a time filler at slow testimony meetings.

Dang! No iphone.

Seriously, my mom has it. Some squares have keywords or phrases in them. Others have mocking stereotypical phrases, like "with every fiber of my being." Others have story themes in them -- mission stories, travelogues, etc. One square was "goes longer than 10 minutes." Another was "someone else yelling out 'bingo!' "

It's hard to keep from snickering when you look over the board.

Yeah, I thought it was funny in 2002 when the First Presidency letter was read in our ward, that everyone seemed to only focus on the "children" issue. That part of the letter was focused on more instead of the part about the adults learning to express "a brief, heartfelt testimony of the Savior, His teachings, and the Restoration" instead of frendimonies and travel/health logs.

There was a brief overreaction when children were discouraged from getting up in fast in testimony meeting, meanwhile the adults continued with the non-testimonies as usual.

I honestly never thought the children were a problem. They know how to bear a testimony.

Here's a link to the letter for anyone who is interested. LDS Church News - Express brief, heartfelt testimony of the Savior

Regards,

Vanhin

If we in the Church ever had a regular open-mike evening, where people could talk and tell about themselves, kids, vacations, callings, family matters, Glenn Beck, jobs, ect..., would the nature of Sunday Testimony Meetings be different?

:mellow:

Not if we had purpose in our fasting and prayers and came to Testimony Meeting under the influence of the Holy Ghost.

The Traveler

To be honest, I am much more worried about whether the Lord wants me to share my testimony, and if He does, what exactly he wants me to say.

The children in my ward are kinda meek, so when they give testimony, you know it must be something real. I think they do better when they have good examples.

If you don't hear a testimony you like, or you think the Lord does not like, maybe you could show the ward how it's done? One Sunday we had some investigators, and one of the returned missionairies got up and said in his testimony what a testimony is...that seemed to help.

We have some mighty powerful testimonies in the ward I'm in.

I was visiting a ward this past Sunday, the Bishop gave out a Young Women's award to three young women and then asked them to briefly bear testimony of the Savior. As I predicted, guess how many times the Savior was mentioned between the three young women's testimony?

Zero.

I realize it's a pet peeve of mine, but I really could understand how a visitor sat down during Fast and Testimony meeting and left at the end of it concluding that we have a fine testimony of the truthfulness of our Church, the Prophet, and the Book of Mormon but this Christ fellow, good for the sacrament but not as big a deal as the aforementioned other topics. I know that our Church teaches of Christ, and the Prophet and the Book of Mormon testify of Christ and so such comments in their round about way affirm their belief in their Lord and Savior but it always made me cringe on my mission to sit there with an investigator through an entire Fast and Testimony meeting and the only time direct witness of the Savior was born was when me or my companion got up (our Mission President stressed we clearly bear witness of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Atonement, the Scriptures/Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith and the Restoration, and the current Prophet).

Okay, I'm done peeving now.

Edited by Dravin

I was visiting a ward this past Sunday, the Bishop gave out a Young Women's award to three young women and then asked them to briefly bear testimony of the Savior.

I have never liked the calling on someone, spontaneously, to give a testimony. I think it should be something one "feels". In my previous ward, one of the Bishopric would call on one or two, every month, to do so. A testimony should not be solicited, in my opinion.

I have never liked the calling on someone, spontaneously, to give a testimony. I think it should be something one "feels". In my previous ward, one of the Bishopric would call on one or two, every month, to do so. A testimony should not be solicited, in my opinion.

I agree, though in Dravin's example, it's likely that the young women knew in advance that they would be asked to share their testimonies upon receiving their medallions.