Over Manifestations of Satan

Moksha

In listening to some folks tell of all the snares, temptations, actions and behaviors caused by Satan, it would appear that he is much more active and interested in us than God.

I reject this idea, and am lead to wonder whether people see manifestations of Satan way too readily. This can't be good can it? What are your thoughts on this subject.

For someone to say Satan is more active and interested in us than God is definitely not true. The scriptures are very clear that the Almighty's work and his glory is to bring to pass our eternal life and immortality. He is committed to doing all he can to guide us back to him. He stands at the door and knocks, wanting us to let his help into our lives.

I personally think that, in most cases, Heavenly Father's influence is subtle. My dad, spamlds, has told me repeatedly, the still small voice is always a still small voice. Heavenly Father will place us where we can be an influence for good in the lives of those around us. His tender mercies come when needed most, and after faith is tried.

Satan throws so much static into our lives, that the simplicity of our Heavenly Father's influence in our day to day lives seems almost lost. It's like the blue man group song, "Your Attention Please." One part of the song is filled with a dozen voices each saying something to the effect of don't listen to my voice, while one is saying "listen to me." You have to listen hard at first to recognize that one voice. Once you do, it is very apparent.

Wingnut, I love you for being sensitive to grammatical ambiguity.

I try to bite my tongue (or fingers?) at grammatical and spelling errors on here, unless I'm really irritated already, but this is, as you said, a matter of ambiguity. They mean quite different things, and clarification would be helpful before responding.

It's very important to know when you're being tempted by Satan so that you can end it. But I don't think we see too many manifestations of it though because it is everywhere all the time, but I do think many people tend to put far too much focus on Satan and not nearly enough on our Father in Heaven. Sorry if that didn't relate to what you were saying, that's just what came to mind......

Every thing we do and every thought we intertain we do so with the influence of G-d or Satan. By our agency we filter theses two opposing influences. To think that when we act we act alone just is not true. And we more than anyone realize what course we chart.

The Traveler

More interested in us than in God, or more interested in us than God is?

Excellent point and context not withstanding, the meaning was meant to be Satan's interest in us and not his interest in God.

However, I reject either interpretation and remain of the opinion that we subscribe way too much to Satan's interventions. Temptations and behaviors remain without a supernatural causation and the true inner demon we need to control is our own desire.

"Get thee behind me, Self."

Two things to keep in mind:

1) If 'you' (those to whom the OP is adressed) think Satan has a more active role in our lives than GOD, then you might benefit from keeping a 'gratitude journal' as suggested by President Eyring in conference a few months ago- that is, take some time every day to write down how you saw the hand of GOD in your life that day. It will help you realize how active a role GOD really plays in our lives.

2) There are two types of beings in existence- those to act, and those to be acted upon. In this mortal state we experience both types of existence. To call upon the powers of heaven (and thus more fully realize GOD'S role in our lives) requires diligent action on our part. God will usually do no thing for us that we can do ourselves, so that we may each grow in our divine destiny (to become gods who act upon other forces). Satan will act upon us no matter what, because he seeks to enslave us, where we become beings "acted upon" by his desires and whims.

In listening to some folks tell of all the snares, temptations, actions and behaviors caused by Satan, it would appear that he is much more active and interested in us than God.

I reject this idea, and am lead to wonder whether people see manifestations of Satan way too readily. This can't be good can it? What are your thoughts on this subject.

Everytime I flick past MTV channel I see such manifestations.

Excellent point and context not withstanding, the meaning was meant to be Satan's interest in us and not his interest in God.

However, I reject either interpretation and remain of the opinion that we subscribe way too much to Satan's interventions. Temptations and behaviors remain without a supernatural causation and the true inner demon we need to control is our own desire.

"Get thee behind me, Self."

I think this is right. We are dual beings, the carnal being is at odds with our spiritual being. And the carnal, or natural man manifests itself more if we do nothing. The default state of our life is Satanic unless we put an effort into listening to our spiritual side which usually takes constant effort.

I don't think that God and Satan are micromanagers. I think that the system has been put into motion and we're in it.

I agree, I think people are too quick to claim spiritual reasons for everyday occurances. I still don't think the supreme ruler of the universe finds keys for people. Edited by mnn727

Joseph Smith experienced a manifestation of Satan that tested him before God intervened.

Did any good come of it?

Any good came from what? from Joseph's experience of Satan's manifestation or of God's? Anyway, if you're referring to Joseph's experience with Satan no good will ever come from it. It's Satan's manifestation right? What good will ever come from it?:animatedthumbsup::):D

Any good came from what? from Joseph's experience of Satan's manifestation or of God's? Anyway, if you're referring to Joseph's experience with Satan no good will ever come from it. It's Satan's manifestation right? What good will ever come from it?:animatedthumbsup::):D

That's probably actually the point. No good ever comes from Satan's manifestations, just like no good comes from God's manifestations. Good only comes from any of these when the individuals involved choose to make something good of them.

No... What I'm saying is when Joseph knelt darkness did manifest itself to him point blank.Joseph kept calling on God and at the point where Joseph felt he was about to give up and be destroyed God stepped in and saved him.

What came from it was that Joseph then knew that God was real, God was there, God was all powerful.

He had no doubts about those things anymore.He didn't have to ask which church any longer.

Then he was instructed to make this church.

No good can come from it tho?

I disagree.

I think the actual manifestations of Satan are as rare as the manifestations of God. But people use the phrase "caused by Satan" to include those things that lead towards Satan and his will along with actual acts of the being Satan. The majority of those things that people claim are "caused by Satan" are just things that lead towards the carnal desires of this world and evil traits making people more similar to Satan. The same can be said about God's hand in all things, we use that often to mean things that lead us to our Heavenly Father and traits that make us more similar to Him and not that God personally acted as He did with Joseph Smith's vision.

I see "manifestations of Satan" all the time, meaning evil and carnal draws. Satan himself doesn't scare me as much as the temptations that are associated with him. Jesus wasn't scared of him. He has no power over us unless we yield to those temptations. If I lived this whole life not exposed to one "manifestation of Satan" it would be a waste of time because there would be no test to prove my worthiness. So, having "manifestations of Satan" isn't necessarily a bad thing. It wasn't bad for Jesus. It wasn't bad for Joseph.

I have a plaque someone once gave me. It says, "If you want to tell good from evil, give it power".

God gives us our free agency and allows us to use it. Satan is aggressive and tries to take it away from us. Even though Satan is aggressive the choice is still ours. I know people who have chosen to take baby steps toward Satan and gotten to the point where it's extremely hard to make the right choice again but it is still possible.