Ever heard of someone from 2 tribes?

lizzy16

And, my seminary teacher told me if your from the tribe of Manasseh you have African American 'blood' in your line.

Lehi had African American blood? I find that highly unlikely considering there weren't even African Americans until just a couple hundred years ago.

It wouldn't surprise me that some tribes may have a greater representation amongst some ethnic groups, for instance Jews are probably more likely from the tribe of Judah than say Athabascans are. That said I find it doubtful in the extreme that one can claim with accuracy that all of tribe X comes through a modern ethnic group and that's without even throwing adoption into the mix-up.

Edited by Dravin

As I was explaining to Pam in another post...each tribes had their own weaknesses and strengths. Though blood may play a part where one is adopted into when it matches the Spiritual strengths and weaknesses of the individual....It is mostly the Spiritual composition of the individual that decides into which tribe they go into.

The New and Everlasting Covenant is predicated on BETTER PROMISES than the old one. The Old one is not done away...but today...the higher standards apply and since the days of Jesus it is the Spiritual aspect of it that counts. Not the letter but the Spirit of the law.

bert10

And, my seminary teacher told me if your from the tribe of Manasseh you have African American 'blood' in your line.

Is that true? Because i thought it didn't matter who was related to you by blood.

He has no basis to claim that Manassah is coming from Africa, and is TOTAL speculation. Mark E. Peterson did a study in the 70's to 80's of patriarchal blessings around the world compared to which tribe they are from. If I recall correctly, in Japan, there were several who were from the tribe of "Joseph" (no such tribe) which would include both Ephraim and Manassah. My reference is downstairs and I'm on crutches, but will see if I can find something on the internet.

EDIT:

Found it. It is from "Joseph of Egypt" chapter four. It looks like the tribe of Joseph is found in other countries, and a few places even have blessings that only say from "Abraham".

"So it is Joseph who is doing the present-day work through The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Patriarchal blessings give the lineage of Church members receiving the blessings, and they are predominantly of Joseph.

For example, three different patriarchs in Great Britain report that of their blessings, very few indeed show a lineage other than that of Ephraim. One of those patriarchs has given more than six hundred blessings, another five hundred, and the third more than three hundred. Each reports that of all his blessings, not more than half a dozen declare a lineage other than of Ephraim.

This clearly shows that Great Britain is a land of Ephraim. But the same thing may be said of other European countries. They too are Ephraim. Converts by the thousands have come from there. It is not expected, of course, that all of the millions in Europe will join the Church. The scripture says that the way is strait and narrow "and few there be that find it." (Matt. 7:14Matt. 7:14.) But those who do come are primarily of Ephraim. And Ephraim is a son of Joseph.

Throughout the Polynesian islands and Latin America the blood of Manasseh is dominant.

In Mexico, patriarchs report that 75 percent of the blessings indicate the lineage of Manasseh and 25 percent, of Ephraim. Only two or three blessings out of hundreds given mention any other tribe.

In Peru one patriarch in a given period gave 95 blessings, of which 90 indicated the blood of Manasseh, 3 of Ephraim, and 2 of Abraham.

Another patriarch in the same area gave 347 blessings in a given period, of which 122 were of Ephraim, 130 of Manasseh, 90 of Joseph, 2 of Ashur, 2 of Benjamin, and 1 of Levi.

Another patriarch in that land has given over nine hundred blessings, of which 90 percent are of Manasseh and the rest of Ephraim, except for a half dozen referring to other tribes.

In New Zealand virtually all of the Europeans are declared to be of Ephraim and the Polynesians of Manasseh, with a few declared simply to be of Joseph.

In Tonga the patriarchs report that 75 percent of their blessings show a lineage of Manasseh and 25 percent of Ephraim. Out of many blessings given, only 4 were related to other tribes.

It is interesting to see how the blessings occur in still other lands. In Hong Kong, out of 326 blessings, 323 were of Ephraim and 3 of Manasseh.

In Taiwan, out of a group of 210 blessings, all were of Ephraim. In the Philippines every blessing given by the patriarchs there declared a lineage of Ephraim.

In Japan, out of 2,641 blessings, 1,326 were shown to be of Joseph, 444 specifically of Ephraim, and 871 of Manasseh. No other tribes were mentioned.

In Italy, out of 150 blessings, all were declared of Ephraim. No exceptions.

In France one patriarch reported on 300 blessings of which 280 were of Ephraim and the rest of Manasseh except a few of Judah.

Another French patriarch gave 94 blessings, all showing a line of Ephraim except one of Judah. A third French patriarch just beginning his work said that all of his blessings thus far showed the line of Ephraim.

In Argentina, out of 100 blessings given, 66 were of Ephraim and 33 of Manasseh, with one from another tribe.

Out of 100 blessings in Chile, 60 were of Ephraim and 40 of Manasseh. From 100 blessings given in Uruguay, 21 were of Ephraim, 76 of Manasseh, and 3 from other tribes. In North America nearly all Indians are shown to be of Manasseh. The sifting of the blood of Joseph and his sons Ephraim and Manasseh to all parts of the world is nothing short of miraculous. And it is likewise obviously an act of Providence that the Latter-day Saints being brought into the Church in all parts of the world are overwhelmingly of the blood of Joseph.

It is highly significant in the light of the prophecies concerning Joseph and his latter-day mission."

Edited by livy111us

Is that true? Because i thought it didn't matter who was related to you by blood.

I would be extremely interested in finding out how my wife would have African American 'blood' in her line. She is Ukrainian. Nobody at all from America in her line anywhere. Honestly, I have no idea where your teacher got that silly notion from.

I would be extremely interested in finding out how my wife would have African American 'blood' in her line. She is Ukrainian. Nobody at all from America in her line anywhere. Honestly, I have no idea where your teacher got that silly notion from.

I was wondering the same thing but in relation to my brother!

Totally untrue.

Manasseh is traditionally thought of in the church as the tribe of "adoption". But all of us will eventually be assimilated into some tribe of Israel because of he promise made to Abraham that through his house all the world will be saved.I'm from Ephraim, my wife is from Dan, even though she is from an area of the world where Manasseh dominates in Patriarchal blessings. All our children are from Ephraim.

Funny enough my patriarchal blessing says I'm from the tribe of Manasseh and I yet I do know I have African ancestors (I'm white and so is my family, the African ancestors go back to around the civil war).

Funny enough my patriarchal blessing says I'm from the tribe of Manasseh and I yet I do know I have African ancestors (I'm white and so is my family, the African ancestors go back to around the civil war).

And that is probably true. The key word in the original post was African American. That is what some of the posters are taking exception to.

And that is probably true. The key word in the original post was African American. That is what some of the posters are taking exception to.

my mother always said she thought there was African American blood in her genes through her father because of her families facial features but she wasn't sure where.

i was always under the impression manasseh was supposedly american indian ancestry. though all my family (that has a blessing) is ephriam except me. i'm manasseh. i'm white, my family is of scandinavian ancestry.

when i was born i had very dark hair (turned blond by the time i was 1) dark skin, very indian looking. my dad said the first thing he thought about me was "we have a lamanite baby". he says he was not surprised at all that my blessing was different. i always thought it was an odd story and didn't really understand it. one of my boys was born looking just like i did when i was born (though he's as blond haired and blue eyed as the rest of them now). my mom saw him and said "he looks just like you". my in laws saw him and said "where did he come from?" lol

i have a hard time believing it's all blood line related, i have the same blood as my siblings but we are different.

You're also asking about two tribes again. Do you know somebody that had two lineages declared (it sounds terribly unorthodox)? If so, would you mind reporting the tribes?

My brother is of two tribes. Ephraim and Manasseh.

A little back ground about my brother: My mom had him with another man when she was 19 out of wedlock. The man never had any involvement in his life. As of now I don't think my brother or mother have any idea where he is. The only mention I've ever heard is of my mom saying he was on drugs and I saw a "Congratulations" card from his sperm donors parents..what would have been his grandparents I suppose...

My mom met my dad and married him in the temple when my brother was about a year and a half. It's not something we think about a lot in my family....Hes my brother :) However his last name was of my mothers maiden name when he was born and on official documents and according to the church his last name was different then the rest of ours. When he turned 18 he changed it, we would have done it before but we'd moved across the country and its harder for parents to change a childs name then an 18yr old to go through a name change.

In his whole blessing his 'other' last name was used. Later he told me he was kind of upset about this because he always felt like he didnt quite belong. He's 19 now leaving on his mission after his dental work is done.

Anyway, long story short could my brothers 2 lines perhaps represent these two men? The one who raised him and..the other one? Or, am I thinking about it all wrong? In his blessing I know it says that Ephraim is far more dominant. My dads Ephraim.. :huh:Is my analytical side coming out way to much? :confused:

Edited by lizzy16

That's very interesting that your brother is from both Ephraim and Manessah. I have never heard of that before, and I guess you haven't either since you asked about it.

Gwen is right that Manasseh is typically associated with Lamanites. Maybe your seminary teacher got confuddled with words? And as has been posted before, Ephraim has been given the charge to spread the gospel and gather the other tribes in the last days.

A few additional thoughts on lineage. "Announce" is as good a term for it as any, but I've always heard (and Pres Packer uses the same word) that the Patriarch "declares" lineage.

It looks like the general assumption is that most of us have been adopted into our tribes. I don't think that's true*. Ephraim is lost. Dan is lost. Naphtali is lost. They have not been able to maintain an ethnic identity as Judah has. So Ephraim's blood has spread around in the millenia since the scattering. I see no reason to assume that a person is not a literal descendant unless declared otherwise.

On a related note, here's kind of a fun Joseph Smith quote:

As the Holy Ghost falls upon one of the literal seed of Abraham, it is calm and serene; and his whole soul and body are only exercised by the pure spirit of intelligence; while the effect of the Holy Ghost upon a Gentile, is to purge out the old blood, and make him actually of the seed of Abraham. That man that has none of the blood of Abraham (naturally) must have a new creation by the Holy Ghost ( Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 149–50).

Also, the lineage is not like your zodiac where it declares your personality but is an extention of your blessing. Think of the promises Abraham received (including lands, prietshood, posterity, etc). And think of Abraham's descendants, Isaac and Jacob. They were blessed by their fathers and promised some blessings (ala patriarch style). And the Lord also gave them the same promises that Abraham received, but they had to secure these blessings for themselves. Genesis is often confusing because we think, "wait, I've already read this story." And you do have the same story, except the role of prophet/initiate and spouse is played by a whole new generation. The moral of this story is that as you read through the scriptures, you will hear of blessings placed upon your tribe (don't forget to include the generations up to Abraham as well) - I've found Ephraim's blessings scattered throughout the OT (I can think of one in Deut now), the D&C, and (through Joseph) the BofM. These blessings/promises/covenants are also yours if you will secure them for yourselves as your progenitors did.

*It looks like Elder McConkie also thought that the lineage wsa literal and not adopted. See Mormon Doctrine Patriarchal Blessings.

A few additional thoughts on lineage. "Announce" is as good a term for it as any, but I've always heard (and Pres Packer uses the same word) that the Patriarch "declares" lineage.

Thanks, that's a much better word.

I imagine many of us technically have more than one tribe in our bloodline. the tribe that's given in a patriarchal blessing is the tribe that we are taken in to, whether of literal descent or of adoption.- in this manner I have not heard of anyone that has been of 2 or more tribes.

Just a thought here with regards to African-American bloodlines. Early slave populations often included Native Americans (Lamanites and therefore Manasseh) - who were frequently bred with Africans to produce 'better' hybrids. :mad: I know it's barely believable, and certainly reprehensible, from today's perspective but it did go on. Escaped slaves (particularly in the Caribbean islands) often found refuge with the dwindling Native populations and intermarried voluntarily. American populations would therefore be somewhat different in their makeup from African ones.

For the record I'm British and of the tribe of Ephraim as are all the other native British Saints I'm aware of. Drew

Joseph's wife, Asenath, was the wife of a priest in Egypt. Yet they were probably members of a Canaanite group that had recently taken over the land in that timeframe, so probably were not "African" blood. Where does American blood come from, since DNA patterns show everyone came from Africa or the Middle East? Perhaps your seminary teacher should stick to the manual....

A direct line theory doesn't explain those who become members of Ephraim, even though genealogy shows a more direct line to Judah (as with me).

Nor does it explain where a family can have members from more than one tribe. I've known a few who have all Ephraim, except one who is another (in one case: Manasseh, in another: Reuben). We are spiritually adopted into the tribe we are most like, and where we are most needed.