Is everyone equal according to God?

apexviper13

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this seems obvious, I just wanted to get some opinions. I was on a LDS chatroom today and surprisingly there were members of the church saying people are not equal. Beyond that, they stated the church has even taught not everyone is equal.

You mean, present LDS doctrine?

I know this seems obvious, I just wanted to get some opinions. I was on a LDS chatroom today and surprisingly there were members of the church saying people are not equal. Beyond that, they stated the church has even taught not everyone is equal.

The Declaration of Independence famously declares, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..." This idea is a necessary fiction in a democracy. We must assume all men are created equal so that the law can be administered even-handedly; otherwise, we succumb to an oligarchy as the only reasonable form of law.

But it is clear that all men are not "equal" in terms of ability. To claim otherwise would be to deny obvious truth.

All men are "equal before God" in the sense that God is no respecter of persons. In this sense, Latter-day Saints absolutely believe that all men (people) are equal. But in the sense of actual accomplishment or status before God, this is not and cannot be the case. In fact, the Pearl of Great Price teaches otherwise:

And the Lord said unto me: These two facts do exist, that there are two spirits, one being more intelligent than the other; there shall be another more intelligent than they; I am the Lord thy God, I am more intelligent than they all. (Abraham 3:19)

This certainly seems to indicate a gradiation between intelligent beings, such that not all are equal. But of course, this is obvious, as we already discussed.

We'd have to know what they meant by "equal". People are of different use to God, people reach different levels of righteousness and attain different glories. There are differences in someone who attains exhaltation and inherits all Christ and the Father hath, versus someone who makes it to the telestial kingdom. Some people will be made judges in Israel, other's won't. Some will have greater stewardships, others will have lesser.

All that is solidly doctrinal. I haven't heard anything about Him loving or valuing us differently though. No matter what year a prophet has talked about it...

The Declaration of Independence famously declares, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..." This idea is a necessary fiction in a democracy. We must assume all men are created equal so that the law can be administered even-handedly; otherwise, we succumb to an oligarchy as the only reasonable form of law.

But it is clear that all men are not "equal" in terms of ability. To claim otherwise would be to deny obvious truth.

All men are "equal before God" in the sense that God is no respecter of persons. In this sense, Latter-day Saints absolutely believe that all men (people) are equal. But in the sense of actual accomplishment or status before God, this is not and cannot be the case. In fact, the Pearl of Great Price teaches otherwise:

And the Lord said unto me: These two facts do exist, that there are two spirits, one being more intelligent than the other; there shall be another more intelligent than they; I am the Lord thy God, I am more intelligent than they all. (Abraham 3:19)

This certainly seems to indicate a gradiation between intelligent beings, such that not all are equal. But of course, this is obvious, as we already discussed.

Intelligence doesn't have anything to do with equality. Being smarter than someone doesn't mean you're better than them or that they're below you. The exception is Jesus Christ since he's the Savior.

One example someone gave was the fact that only guys can hold the Priesthood. However, I think this is an example of equality, not inequality. The men hold the Priesthood and the women bring life into the world with help from the men of course. Even with that being said, the women still receive blessings for simply supporting the Priesthood.

One example someone gave was the fact that only guys can hold the Priesthood. However, I think this is an example of equality, not inequality. The men hold the Priesthood and the women bring life into the world with help from the men of course. Even with that being said, the women still receive blessings for simply supporting the Priesthood.

Not quite. Men have the Priesthood, women do not. Women have spiritual instincts, men do not. The two are complementary. Men are blessed by the innate spiritual gift women have. Woman are blessed by the Priesthood men have.

Source: Crossing Thresholds and Becoming Equal Partners - Liahona Aug. 2007

Again, what do you suppose to means for two people to be "equal"? When you say, "Billy is equal to Suzie", what do you mean?

Again, what do you suppose to means for two people to be "equal"? When you say, "Billy is equal to Suzie", what do you mean?

When it comes to putting things on top shelves I am superior to someone who is 5' 4" because I'm taller, using the metric of height we are not equal in the exact same sense that 5 != 6. I think that people take it as a value judgement, that God loves me more or they less, thing is as you pointed out in that context we are equal in the sense that use having unequal height and ability at putting things on top shelves doesn't mean God loves me more or them less.

I think the senses you point out, of God being no respecter of persons and being equal before the law and other similar concepts of equality (such as some sort of nebulous concept of true worth) have come to overtake a more literal sense in other contexts to the point of using it in one of those more literal senses can quite often get you facing a rebuttal grounded in the other.

Edited by Dravin

This stirred up an interesting thought/question for me. Dealing with the issue of females not having the priesthood, even though they still have it in their lives through blessings given to them and their husband to help, when we die and we become God's, to be come God you have to be powerful. God's power is the Priesthood, so since females can't hold it, would females not be considered Gods? Will females be as powerful as males?

This stirred up an interesting thought/question for me. Dealing with the issue of females not having the priesthood, even though they still have it in their lives through blessings given to them and their husband to help, when we die and we become God's, to be come God you have to be powerful. God's power is the Priesthood, so since females can't hold it, would females not be considered Gods? Will females be as powerful as males?

You are thinking of God as a superhero and Godhood (or Priesthood) as a magical spandex suit of power. In reality, these models do not apply.

When it comes to putting things on top shelves I am superior to someone who is 5' 4" because I'm taller, using the metric of height we are not equal in the exact same sense that 5 != 6. I think that people take it as a value judgement, that God loves me more or they less, thing is as you pointed out in that context we are equal in the sense that use having unequal height and ability at putting things on top shelves doesn't mean God loves me more or them less.

I think the senses you point out, of God being no respecter of persons and being equal before the law and other similar concepts of equality (such as some sort of nebulous concept of true worth) have come to overtake a more literal sense in other contexts to the point of using it in one of those more literal senses can quite often get you facing a rebuttal grounded in the other.

I agree with your analysis. I want to know what the other posters think that "equality" means, because without knowing that, it becomes impossible to converse intelligently with them on the topic.

When we all lived in what is sometimes called the pre-existence; it is my understanding that the children were not equal. Therefore they were divided into 3 groups. One group of the 3 followed Satan, another group was called the “noble and great” and the rest were the rest.

I see no reason to assume that we are “equal”. The Book of Abraham states that when there are 2 spirits one will be greater than the other and that Jesus is greater than them all. The problem is that in our fallen state we lack to ability to see enough to know who is greater and whois not. But we are given hints. For example Jesus tells us that the more we serve the greater we are in heaven. Most people think backwards and think that the lesser should serve the greater. One thing for sure - thinking you are greater is most likely an indication that you really are of less value. Pride, it seems, destroys the value of an individual.

The Traveler

You are thinking of God as a superhero and Godhood (or Priesthood) as a magical spandex suit of power. In reality, these models do not apply.

I am? No I know exactly what the priesthood can do including create worlds. If you want to call that magic, then you can but I never did as it's not. I love how you know everything and assume everyone else knows nothing. It shows ignorance in your character. You might want to lighten up a bit.

No, the blessings of exaltation are not limited to a sex. Both men and women are conditionally sealed to become kings and queens, priests and priestesses.

As temples were built and temple ordinances restored, our understanding of the male/female relationship has increased: Both men and women are conditionally sealed to become kings and queens, priests and priestesses. Both share the blessings of the priesthood. Both share the gifts of the spirit (i.e., to heal, to be healed, to speak in tongues, to prophesy, etc.).

Linky: The Lord as a Role Model for Men and Women - Ensign Aug. 1980

Also (relating a story about a couple in the context of those who don't go to the temple):

They will not be gods and goddesses and priests and priestesses because they did not fulfill the commandments and do the things that were required at their hands.

Linky: Young Women Manual 2 Lesson 15: Temple Marriage

So we find that in man's potential to be gods, priests and kings that women have the self same potential to become goddesses, priestesses and queens.

I haven't heard anything about Him loving or valuing us differently though. No matter what year a prophet has talked about it...

Some verses in John that makes it sound like there is a level of conditional love:

14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.

16:27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

I do not doubt that there is a universal love sent from the Father and the Son, but it sounds like there is a love reserved only for those who follow them (see also Elder Oaks' talk on Love and Law).