Word of Wisdom?

ThatLDSKiD

Guest Godless

Are you kidding me?

Here's a list of all the company Kraft Food owns. Here is a list of the stuff Hershey's makes. Like Peter Pan Peanut Butter? Well, here's a list of what ConAgra owns including Peter Pan. Need your Minute Maid orange juice in the morning? Well, they're owned by the Coca Cola Company. Oh wait, don't they make that caffeine filled soda and ice tea? Why yes, they do.

So look in your pantry and see who really owns the brands you buy. If you were to go by what you just posted, you would have to go get a farm and grow all your stuff or just buy a bunch of wheat and rice to live off of. Oh, wait, rice, wheat, seeds, all that comes from Monsanto, another company with issues.

Don't be so naive that you think you can only do business with companies that are not, nor have done anything "corrupt." There is no such thing.

This is why I try to buy as much as I can from whole food stores, especially things like condiments that'll last a while (I'm very picky about my mustard). There's less concern over corporate ethics that way, plus the food tastes better 100% of the time. You're right though, you can't always avoid supporting the big bad food corporations unless you're rich enough to buy ALL of your food from whole food stores and farmers markets.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious...is non alcoholic beer contrary to the Word of Wisdom?

What about E-Cigs?

Why is only herbal tea permitted?

Why is coffee prohibited?

Just a curious kid, not trying to be blasphemous.

Thanks!

E cigs most likely would... Nicotine is a potent drug.

Guest Sachi001
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Are you kidding me?

Here's a list of all the company Kraft Food owns. Here is a list of the stuff Hershey's makes. Like Peter Pan Peanut Butter? Well, here's a list of what ConAgra owns including Peter Pan. Need your Minute Maid orange juice in the morning? Well, they're owned by the Coca Cola Company. Oh wait, don't they make that caffeine filled soda and ice tea? Why yes, they do.

So look in your pantry and see who really owns the brands you buy. If you were to go by what you just posted, you would have to go get a farm and grow all your stuff or just buy a bunch of wheat and rice to live off of. Oh, wait, rice, wheat, seeds, all that comes from Monsanto, another company with issues.

Don't be so naive that you think you can only do business with companies that are not, nor have done anything "corrupt." There is no such thing.

Yes the list is long, but if you knew they support slave child labor would you buy? Plus I buy my foods from the local farmers market and not processed food. SLC Saints when settling bought their own locally grown food. Just many in the world have lost their way in being aware consumers. You can find certified fair trade food through local markets.

Edited by Sachi001
Guest Sachi001

Are you kidding me?

In consequence of aevils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of bconspiring men in the last days, I have cwarned you, and forewarn you

I agree corruption is everywhere and virtually impossible to not deal with. However verse 4 is not talking corruption. It is talking about evils and designs. That means those that knowingly do business in an evil manner. There is a major difference or else the Lord would have burned down Washington D.C..

It does not just mean in relation toward food. It can mean in any business that knowingly tries to destroy it's fellow men. It's teaching you to be aware, and advising you to not partake lest of danger involved. That is why "Wisdom" in the title is used.

You can bet if you really wanted to you could go to local markets even your local supermarket, and find foods fair trade certified. Yes it's more expensive. However I buy from local growers, and save money by not buying processed cheap food. Haven't you noticed thats all the sale food is bad for your health.

LDS in SLC early days bought the local grown food. Argue with it all you want, but even I believe that if consumers were made aware, and given a choice of buying a product made with slave child labor, or paying a little more for food that was fair trade or known to be grown local with out slavery. I'm sure you would pay more for the latter than buy that Hershey's peanut butter cup.

Just a bit of historical context to the WoW, for whatever it's worth:

Verses 1-3 are not part of the revelation itself; they are part of an "inspired introduction" included with the earliest published versions of the revelation.

David Whitmer was excommunicated, in part, for violating the Word of Wisdom barely five years after the revelation was recorded. Adherence to the Word of Wisdom was a major litmus test in the "Mormon Reformation" of the 1860s, and Heber J. Grant officially pronounced it a commandment in the early 20th century.

I recognize the physical and spiritual benefits of choosing to follow the Word of Wisdom, but I don't think it's correct to say that "it's not a commandment". For those who have made the covenants associated with baptism into the Lord's church--it is.

I think you missed the point of verse 4 and why the Lord revelated to JS. You can have chocolate but to whom you support. Companies that knowingly support slavery or do you abstain from them and partake with those companies who choose to do it uncorrupted.

So verse 4 is about social justice and slavery? Interesting take.

LDS in SLC early days bought the local grown food.

It may surprise you to hear this, but in the 19th century it was difficult to ship fresh fruits and vegetables from California and the East Coast without having a large portion of it spoiling by the time it arrived in SLC. Back in those days, if you wanted fresh food, you were pretty much forced to buy locally-grown food. Just a little-known factoid I picked up in school once that I thought I might share. I think there was something about the time element and lack of adequate refrigeration involved not being very conducive to doing it.

It may surprise you to hear this, but in the 19th century it was difficult to ship fresh fruits and vegetables from California and the East Coast without having a large portion of it spoiling by the time it arrived in SLC. Back in those days, if you wanted fresh food, you were pretty much forced to buy locally-grown food. Just a little-known factoid I picked up in school once that I thought I might share. I think there was something about the time element and lack of adequate refrigeration involved not being very conducive to doing it.

Next you'll be telling me the reason they didn't Facebook was because the internet wasn't even invented yet!

Are you suggesting food shipped across the country is preferrable and the lack of availability was the sole reason people ate local produce?

Are you suggesting food shipped across the country is preferrable and the lack of availability was the sole reason people ate local produce?

He's suggesting that historically the eating of local produce was less a moral stand and more a matter of circumstance.

In consequence of aevils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of bconspiring men in the last days, I have cwarned you, and forewarn you

I agree corruption is everywhere and virtually impossible to not deal with. However verse 4 is not talking corruption. It is talking about evils and designs. That means those that knowingly do business in an evil manner. There is a major difference or else the Lord would have burned down Washington D.C..

It does not just mean in relation toward food. It can mean in any business that knowingly tries to destroy it's fellow men. It's teaching you to be aware, and advising you to not partake lest of danger involved. That is why "Wisdom" in the title is used.

You can bet if you really wanted to you could go to local markets even your local supermarket, and find foods fair trade certified. Yes it's more expensive. However I buy from local growers, and save money by not buying processed cheap food. Haven't you noticed thats all the sale food is bad for your health.

LDS in SLC early days bought the local grown food. Argue with it all you want, but even I believe that if consumers were made aware, and given a choice of buying a product made with slave child labor, or paying a little more for food that was fair trade or known to be grown local with out slavery. I'm sure you would pay more for the latter than buy that Hershey's peanut butter cup.

I"m sorry, but this is the worse concocted stuff I've read here in a while (at least since Bert10 left the scene).

So you are so conscience about the food. How about your car, oil companies? How about your lighting and refrigeration, Utilities? How about your home, More oil companies, deforestation from lumber companies? Your light bulbs, GE? Heck, the aluminum in the cans of soda? It's so ok to be righteous about the WoW and tell everyone else that buying peanut butter cups (my fav) are supporting child labor. But we'll not look at anything else or any other products we're using. No, that phrase isn't in any other commandment so it must be ok.

It's selective righteous living. And to put that out there by saying "I don't support corrupt food companies" while behind you are all the other products and services you use that are from these so called "corrupt" companies is just disingenuous at best.

I"m sorry, but this is the worse concocted stuff I've read here in a while (at least since Bert10 left the scene).

So you are so conscience about the food. How about your car, oil companies? How about your lighting and refrigeration, Utilities? How about your home, More oil companies, deforestation from lumber companies? Your light bulbs, GE? Heck, the aluminum in the cans of soda? It's so ok to be righteous about the WoW and tell everyone else that buying peanut butter cups (my fav) are supporting child labor. But we'll not look at anything else or any other products we're using. No, that phrase isn't in any other commandment so it must be ok.

It's selective righteous living. And to put that out there by saying "I don't support corrupt food companies" while behind you are all the other products and services you use that are from these so called "corrupt" companies is just disingenuous at best.

Do we know that sachi doesn't cut back on those as well?

Just because you can't live completely off-the-grid doesn't mean it's bad to pick and choose what is possible for you.

Guest Godless

Does anyone know if Joseph Smith drank beer even after the Word of Wisdom was implemented? Someone told me that he did and it just refereed to hard alcohol??

Nearly everyone drank beer back then. Young America's love for the barley-based "mild drink" is well-documented, and it could be argued that the WoW originally condoned it. That said, there's probably no way of knowing for sure whether or not Smith drank beer, but I'd personally put money on the answer being yes.

Does anyone know if Joseph Smith drank beer even after the Word of Wisdom was implemented? Someone told me that he did and it just refereed to hard alcohol??

To be frank, it doesn't matter if or when Joseph drank beer, tequila, or a pina colada. What matters is that we are under covenant now to forsake alcohol. And even more importantly, I have made a covenant with the Lord on this. So, whether my bishop, stake president, or even Pres Monson gets hammered, I cannot resort to such without breaking my covenants.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Almost like when some vegetarians eat meat substitutes "Hey, come eat tofoturkey, it taste just like...turkey!" But if you're a vegetarian, why would you want it to taste like meat? :eek::lol:

I think you are just teasing, but just in case you are serious (or if anyone else is wondering)...for some it is a transitional thing...for when you first decide to be vegetarian but still crave meat (the spirit is strong but the flesh is weak). For some they may be avoiding meat for health reasons, so they may feel that tofurkey is a good substititue..the flavor without whatever they are trying to avoid.

Some vegetarians avoid meat substitutes BECAUSE they are similiar to meat and they find that repulsive.

If you get to know vegetarians, you will find that just like LDS people: there are many different opinions and variations.

I think you missed the point of verse 4 and why the Lord revelated to JS. You can have chocolate but to whom you support. Companies that knowingly support slavery or do you abstain from them and partake with those companies who choose to do it uncorrupted.

I didn't miss verse 4. I was clearly pointing out your mistake in calling tea and coffee "strong drinks" (when in fact are "hot drinks") and the fact that you added chocolate. You may interpret that verse in whatever way you may wish (no problem with me at all) but that's your personal interpretation, not the Church interpretation. I cannot go to the Temple if I keep drinking tea and coffee or alcohol but I CAN go if I eat or drink chocolate.

Now, I am not arguing the health aspects with regards to chocolate and so many other foods eh or even your theory of corrupt companies, but I am pointing out merely what the scripture tell us and how the Church presently interprets those verses.

I think you are just teasing, but just in case you are serious (or if anyone else is wondering)...for some it is a transitional thing...for when you first decide to be vegetarian but still crave meat (the spirit is strong but the flesh is weak). For some they may be avoiding meat for health reasons, so they may feel that tofurkey is a good substititue..the flavor without whatever they are trying to avoid.

Some vegetarians avoid meat substitutes BECAUSE they are similiar to meat and they find that repulsive.

If you get to know vegetarians, you will find that just like LDS people: there are many different opinions and variations.

Yes, of course I was teasing. I hardly eat meat (maybe I eat a small piece of chicken once a month). :) The rest of my family is also vegetarian.

To be frank, it doesn't matter if or when Joseph drank beer, tequila, or a pina colada. What matters is that we are under covenant now to forsake alcohol. And even more importantly, I have made a covenant with the Lord on this. So, whether my bishop, stake president, or even Pres Monson gets hammered, I cannot resort to such without breaking my covenants.

In my eyes, if the prophet was commanding me to do something and did the opposite- I do not think I could follow those words. That is where my curiosity rest with JS. It doesn't matter if I made a covenant if it was made with the words from the prophet and they drank alcohol like you said I don't know if I could stomache that too well! (No pun intended! lol) :P

In my eyes, if the prophet was commanding me to do something and did the opposite- I do not think I could follow those words. That is where my curiosity rest with JS. It doesn't matter if I made a covenant if it was made with the words from the prophet and they drank alcohol like you said I don't know if I could stomache that too well! (No pun intended! lol) :P

You got to understand historical context on this one. Yes, Joseph Smith drank tea, wine, beer and allegedly also smoke but you also need to understand that the Word of Wisdom was given generally "as a counsel" at that time and started being enforced upon the Church after the Saints arrived in Utah with Brigham Young.