Did Adam and Eve love each other?

texas1992

I went to the temple yesterday and was wondering if Adam and Eve loved each other before the fall. Did they even know what romantic love was? In the movie they are depicted to be in different parts of the garden. They were so innocent that I am not sure that they did love each other. I know, bizarre question. :(

Adam loved Eve enough to eat the fruit for her...enough to die for her...

not that he had any other choice on who he could eat the fruit for or die for.....

I always thought the temple video made them look indifferent to each other. But then I would find it very disturbing if they made them appear to be very "in love" like we talk about married couples now. Might be a problem for some ppl to see them wandering around holding hands and kissing knowing the state they are in (not to mention the inappropriate position that puts the actors in). I just decided that's about the only way they can be appropriately depicted under the circumstances. Later after they leave the garden they do hold hands and he does put his arm around her.

Edited by Gwen

Maybe I'm a disturbed individual...and I obviously have not seen the video in question...but I have always thought Adam loved Eve in a very manly sense. When he saw her his delight was so quick and obvious...this is bone of my bones, flesh of my flesh. We are not given Eve's thoughts on the matter, but, at minimum, she was a willing helpmate. Why wouldn't they have loved each other in every way?

...but I have always thought Adam loved Eve in a very manly sense. When he saw her his delight was so quick and obvious...this is bone of my bones, flesh of my flesh.

And...he was quick to say it was Eve who made him do it (eat the fruit). :D

I went to the temple yesterday and was wondering if Adam and Eve loved each other before the fall. Did they even know what romantic love was? In the movie they are depicted to be in different parts of the garden. They were so innocent that I am not sure that they did love each other. I know, bizarre question. :(

The endowment presentation is highly stylized and ought to be interpreted with great care. Certainly, any idea that the actors (live or filmed) are accurately portraying fine nuances of the typed beings they represent is not supportable. Adam and Eve are types, stand-ins for the rest of us. The endowment is meant to teach us our relationship to God and how to approach him, and (I am confident) is not intended as a fine-grained, true-to-life history lesson in the literal portrayal of actual historical events.

To answer the question: I am confident Adam loved Eve very deeply, and that the feeling was mutual. The idea of "romantic love" is a recent invention of the Western world, so I don't think it applies to our first parents.

Yes. My reference was meant to be taken as comical.

I assumed as much. But the humor only works if there's a "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" underlying truth to be understood, and I deny any underlying truth to the idea that Adam attempted in any degree to exculpate himself by laying blame on his wife.

Unless you were going for absurdist humor, and might as well have written "Yes, and Adam was quick to go polish off a cheeseburger at the Eden McDonald's to chase down the apple." But somehow, it didn't come across as such, so I assume that wasn't what you were aiming for.

I assumed as much. But the humor only works if there's a "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" underlying truth to be understood, and I deny any underlying truth to the idea that Adam attempted in any degree to exculpate himself by laying blame on his wife.

Unless you were going for absurdist humor, and might as well have written "Yes, and Adam was quick to go polish off a cheeseburger at the Eden McDonald's to chase down the apple." But somehow, it didn't come across as such, so I assume that wasn't what you were aiming for.

You read way too much into my short post Vort. :) However, one thing I know is that I will not be going back and forth about it eh... :D

Guest gopecon

Adam loved Eve enough to eat the fruit for her...enough to die for her... perhaps they had no "lust" until after the fall, but love and lust are two very different things. Adam and Eve started out perfect - perfect beings know what love is better than any of us do...

To changed's point about Adam and Eve being perfect before the Fall. They were innocent, meaning without sin, but they were not perfect. Perfection comes after gaining wisdom, knowledge, and proving oneself (and after a lot of cleansing/forgiveness via the Atonement). Young children are innocent before God, but they are not perfect. Jesus himself did not claim perfection until after his resurrection.

Matt 5:48 - Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

3 Nephi 12:48 - Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.

If we do accept the traditional narrative that Eve received certain burdens and responsibilities because she was the one who partook of the fruit, I wonder if it might also follow that Adam received certain burdens and responsibilities (viz: the priesthood?) because he had left Eve to face Satan alone when he already knew that Satan was loose in the garden.

Here is a question- What is love?

Most in the world will describe love as something you feel within.

To me, love is when you care so deeply for another person that you put their well-being above your own. The best example is what Jesus Christ voluntarily did for us in Gethsemane and on the cross, because He loves us. In my opinion, the second best example is very much the same:

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

To make my point, all you really need of this verse is "For God so loved the world that He gave..."

When your feelings for another cause you to give up something of great value for their benefit.

Again, in John 15: 13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.