How "homesick" are you?

lds2

I have a niece (in-law) with young children who lost her husband to cancer a few years ago. She told me (over Thanksgiving Turkey) how much she looks forward to the blessings of the millennium. I too look forward to that time because of the peace and healing it will bring to those with chronic illnesses in my family that I love most.

But what was more interesting to me was that we found out that this yearning for a more "heavenly" life has been with us since we were very young and I was wondering how common this is?

Most people I know seem to be afraid of the future and want things to stay pretty much the same as they are now. Most women in my corner of the world say that the future is just too scary to think/talk about or prepare for (even though it is a commandment by Heavenly Father to "prepare every needful thing".)

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I remember when I was in my late teens, before I was a member of the church, and experienced some of the darker experiences in life...I remember thinking "I didn't know it would be like this [when I decided to come here]". I can't remember the prompting thought, but I remember where I was and how I realized I assumed I had lived somewhere else before coming to this earth.

Looking forward, I had several goals to achieve when I was about 23, and I've achieved them all...except seeing my children raised as responsible adults...and certain goals in my marriage. If those things were completed, I would be OK with the millenium appearing. Knowing for a certainty that I continue to exist after death would do much for my testimony and perspective.

I have a niece (in-law) with young children who lost her husband to cancer a few years ago. She told me (over Thanksgiving Turkey) how much she looks forward to the blessings of the millennium. I too look forward to that time because of the peace and healing it will bring to those with chronic illnesses in my family that I love most.

But what was more interesting to me was that we found out that this yearning for a more "heavenly" life has been with us since we were very young and I was wondering how common this is?

Most people I know seem to be afraid of the future and want things to stay pretty much the same as they are now. Most women in my corner of the world say that the future is just too scary to think/talk about or prepare for (even though it is a commandment by Heavenly Father to "prepare every needful thing".)

I admit this may be overly pessimistic, but just from my personal experience, I don't find this yearning for a heavenly life here and now that common. Oh, sometimes in an abstract sense when there is a promise of loses being made up. But in a practical, put forth extra effort sort of way, I don't see a lot happening. Brigham Young once said, "You hear brethren talk of coming to Zion to enjoy the blessings of this land; but do you not see that it is the shortsightedness of men which causes their disappointment when they arrive here? They read in the Bible, in the Book of Mormon, and Book of Doctrine and Covenants, about Zion, and what it is to be; but brother Park and others could not realize, before they came here, that they were the ones to help to build up Zion. They gather here with the spirit of Zion resting upon them, and expecting to find Zion in its glory, whereas their own doctrine should teach them that they are coming here to make Zion." (Journal of Discourses 5:3-4) I don't know that we've change that much in the last 150 years. Are people really concerned with "making Zion"?

There may be a few reasons why people do not think much about the future, the millennium, and what might be.

There is no pressing need. They deal with the here and now. Who wants to add on the concerns of tomorrow to today?

Some are generally content with the current situation. Why work so hard for the future if everything is fine now?

They have not caught the vision. What are we really working for?

Just my thoughts. Maybe others feel differently.

I will admit that one thing that scares me is will I be strong enough?

There is so much I want to do in this life, and so much my husband and I want to do together. This is the only time like it we will ever have. As the saying goes, "I want to live not just the length of my life, but the breadth of it." I do worry about the state of the world and what is to come, but I'm not in any hurry to leave.

I think I overall yearn for it to come but one has to make sure that one's own desires don't get in the way of God's will. Sometimes we don't know or understand what God has in store for us down the road so we have to keep being ready for whatever that is. Maybe it is one more Sunday School lesson taught or one more testimony born or one more kind act that is needed or a mission or raising grandchildren etc. I try not to let my own desires make me close minded as to what God has in store for me. But when the day comes, I look forward to returning, that isn't something I fear.

Hmmm. Interesting. I don't know if it's common or not, now that you've asked that question. I know that for me it seems I was born with such yearnings, and it seems they have followed me my whole life, and presently I feel them more keenly now than ever. I don't know if it's because I have not yet attained the desires of my heart for this life, or if it's because I have retained some degree of subconscious memory of the heavenly life I once experienced in pre-mortality and miss Maybe, probably, some combination of both...

I feel the yearning to go home...I work on being prepared to go home, and fully know that I am not perfect, and only through the Atonement can I make it home. I do what I can, I know it's not enough but I also have faith in Christ to cover the rest.

I also think I yearn to go home because there are people I desperately miss who are on the other side, friends and family, even pets.

As for the second coming and the building of Zion, again I do what I can, walk or crawl sometimes as best as I am able. I work on fulfilling my duties.

I really like this new Mormon Message, speaking of fear.

Men's Hearts Shall Fail Them - YouTube

half of me wnats to go asap, half of me wants to wait as long as possible.

Endure to the end. That's what I'm doing. I've outlived my usefulness on this earth (as far as I can see). I want to go home to my father so much it hurts, BUT I want to do it in the way that is pleasing to Him. It is hard trying to figure out what it is that he wants me to do, or why he is keeping me here. I try to be uplifting to others in some way, but recently have realized that I'm not very good at that either, so I really don't know why He is keeping me here. I'm 31 years old, I seriously can't do this for another 50 years. I'm ready, NOW.

Endure to the end. That's what I'm doing. I've outlived my usefulness on this earth (as far as I can see). I want to go home to my father so much it hurts, BUT I want to do it in the way that is pleasing to Him. It is hard trying to figure out what it is that he wants me to do, or why he is keeping me here. I try to be uplifting to others in some way, but recently have realized that I'm not very good at that either, so I really don't know why He is keeping me here. I'm 31 years old, I seriously can't do this for another 50 years. I'm ready, NOW.

Well, it's been awhile since I saw 31, but I just said something very similar to this just last night. At this particular moment, though, I'm now wondering if I was told I would live yet another 50+ years having to go through more of what I have thus far (*great heaving sigh*) how I would feel about it all, if I was told that at the end of that time I would prove to be a great blessing to another of Heavenly Father's children? A little better about it, I think... :)

Yes you can if that is what happens. As far as liking it well thats another story. I am getting so tired. Just tired. There is a light down there somewhere but its so far away.

Yeah, that light is pretty dim sometimes. And Anne, I guess you are right... If Heavenly Father needs me here, burdening society, for another 50 years, I'll do it. :)

lol well if society feels like you are a burden then society is failing its test. I need to keep reminding myself of that too. Maybe we just need more sunshine vitamins!

The millenium? I think about it every day. When I make decisions I think, "How will I look back at this later? How much worry should I put into this?" The answer to that is usually, not much.

Some days when I am out of breath so easily, I think I hope it comes soon, please let it come soon. It seems selfish, but I'm just so tired. I really do think I am trying my best, and most importantly I know my Savior is doing His best, giving it everything He's got, throwing His best effort into getting me back home. He doesn't quit, doesn't rest, doesn't give up hope. Even as all-knowing that He is, He knows my faults and still will not turn, won't take a break until I've come home. When I'm at the point where I think I can go no further He carries me. I don't know about how strong I'll always be, but I know how strong He is, and together we'll get me there. Please let it be soon.

In fact, if my hubby weren't in the bishopric I would have asked to be a temple worker as soon as possible. I talk about doing a mission someday, but to be honest I don't think I'll make it near that long. I'm 36 now and I don't even want to think about struggling like this another 30 years. How much medication would it take? How many more surgeries? I love bearing my testimony and serving others. I love the temple. I love seeing the change the gospel brings to those investigators I help. I love the feeling of doing work for my family in the temple. I have loved seeing my daughters do baptisms in the temple. I'll stay as long as He really needs me to, but as soon as He calls, I'm going home.

Sometimes when we think our usefulness is over and we're still here.... Or when we think we can't possibly endure anything more.....maybe that's the time when we need to allow others to opportunity to provide service. Allowing others to provide a needed service is a service in itself. Its even hard to do ... at least for me.

If I received a ticket to go home, I'd take it. But I hope I don't get one until Heavenly Father is done with me and until I've had a chance to repent of everything I'm capable of repenting of.