Temple work on Sundays?

MaMeeshkaMow

I have a question. I always hear about how temple attendance can always be higher (don't know stats). It might not just be because of "unworthiness", but about how people have a hard time making time during the week. What if temples were open on Sundays? I know we call it temple work, but the concept of helping the dead is different than let's say, selling retail on Sundays...

I know there needs to be a day of rest but the motion of going to church for 3 hours...how would that be so different than participating a couple hours at a temple?

Which brings me to another question. I know a couple who go to the temple more than church which is ironic because one of the questions of the temple recommend is if they attend church regularly....anyway, both places can help you remember Christ, both places help you make important covenants....what if you could have a choice to go to either one on Sunday...what would you choose?

Discuss maybe the pros and cons of the idea of temple work on Sundays....

The temple workers present throughout the endowment are needed, even if the proxy knows the ceremony perfectly. They act as "helpers" only for those who haven't yet learned things by heart. It is not their primary duty.

The temple is closed on Sundays for many reason, all of which are good and sufficient. How ironic it would be if, instead of worshiping with their fellow Saints as commanded and partaking of the fellowship of the kingdom of God along with their families, people spent their Sundays at the temple?

Edited by Vort
Removing references MaMeeshkaMow wanted removed

Did you know that to do baptisms in the temple, you need no less than 7 Mel Priesthood holders?

Plus, you need people in the office to take care of issues, do the paperwork for the names, answer questions, etc.

There are endowments, sealings, and initiatories that need to be manned. Initiatories need 4 women to man (I'm assuming the same for the men).

No, I don't think your solution of having a card up at various places in the temple will require less people and be a viable option.

So, what other suggestions do you have to choose who gets to work on Sunday to man the temples and the work there?

Dang, now it was quoted. My bad. I was just contemplating ways maybe temple work could increase....of course there is the Millennium. I wonder how many days of the week will temple work be done then....will there be 7 days of destruction, so one day will be a day of rest (just after the last destruction before Millennium)...

Keep in mind that while temple work is important that doesn't mean it should displace other needful things such as Church and time with family. For example the temples are also closed on Monday to ensure it doesn't interfere with Family Home Evening (puts some perspective on the importance of FHE does't it?), and they are also closed for various holidays (my guess is so people can spend those days with family).

Edited by Dravin

I bet that getting temple workers to fill the slots would not be that difficult. I know that they don't like 'locals' working on Saturdays because there are so many out of towners who want to be temple workers, and can't take a weekday off, they fill up the Saturday slots so quickly.

That aside, I don't think the temple should be open on Sunday because I think that time should be used going to church services. If the temple was open on Sunday I would go, a lot. Having the temple not open makes that no longer an option for me, and I am 'forced' to spend that time at home and at church. I would probably use going to the temple as an excuse for not going to church.

I think the policy is a good one, and I wouldn't question it!

I don't think the temple being open on Sunday would make much difference for those who are not already attending on a regular basis. A “regular basis” being determined by what a temple patron feels is a regular basis for themselves, once a week, once a month, once a year, etc. Those who truly want to attend the temple will make time for the temple while the temple is open.

I personally have the desire to go on a weekly basis, but have a hard time making time during the evenings because I want to be with my wife and daughter when I get home from work, so I go to the temple before work. There are others who don’t have temples close to their homes so they save their money and vacation time and get to the temple when they can. I really can’t imagine more people flocking to the temple just because they decided to open it on Sundays.

I could be wrong but I asume that the temple is not open on Sundays because it would cause people to have to "work." All the temple workers would be away from families that day. I certianly don't think is would be "bad" to be in the temple that day, I just think that Sundays are set aside for other things.

Now, If we could only reduce the amount of meetings on Sundays.....poor bishops are nver at home on Sundays.

I don't think the temple being open on Sunday would make much difference for those who are not already attending on a regular basis. A “regular basis” being determined by what a temple patron feels is a regular basis for themselves, once a week, once a month, once a year, etc. Those who truly want to attend the temple will make time for the temple while the temple is open.

I personally have the desire to go on a weekly basis, but have a hard time making time during the evenings because I want to be with my wife and daughter when I get home from work, so I go to the temple before work. There are others who don’t have temples close to their homes so they save their money and vacation time and get to the temple when they can. I really can’t imagine more people flocking to the temple just because they decided to open it on Sundays.

Probably not because many of them would have their own families and obligations to their own wards to attend to.

The purpose of this whole question is to see how one could get out of giving talks on Sundays. haha, just kidding....

I know that making a covenant, in of itself, can be a very spiritual experience. Do you think there is a "hierarchal" of covenants? In other words, could one say that temple covenants are deeper than the sacrament ones? Go even further. Have you had more spiritual experiences in the temple than in the sacrament meeting room? If the answer is yes, why couldn't Sunday temple service be considered?

I know that making a covenant, in of itself, can be a very spiritual experience. Do you think there is a "hierarchal" of covenants? In other words, could one say that temple covenants are deeper than the sacrament ones? Go even further. Have you had more spiritual experiences in the temple than in the sacrament meeting room? If the answer is yes, why couldn't Sunday temple service be considered?

In my view, covenants are sequential but not heirarchical, at least not in the sense of importance or profundity. Temple covenants are no "deeper" than baptismal covenants, though they are more specific. Since you cannot have or keep temple covenants without the foundational baptismal covenants, I don't think you can characterize them as "deeper" or "shallower".

In my view, covenants are sequential but not heirarchical, at least not in the sense of importance or profundity. Temple covenants are no "deeper" than baptismal covenants, though they are more specific. Since you cannot have or keep temple covenants without the foundational baptismal covenants, I don't think you can characterize them as "deeper" or "shallower".

One aspect with them not being hierarchical is that you can't substitute 'downhill'. An endowment session is not the sacrament, and the sacrament is the core upon which the Sunday meetings rest. Ultimately, ignoring man power issues, what is being suggested is that people replace the sacrament with temple ordinances and it doesn't work that way.

While it seems like a good idea and almost entirely a correct concept to consider, it simply wouldn't work with the Gospel plan as I am able to understand it now. I agree with most of the responses to this post. I don't know everything, however, and there may come a day when the temples will be going 24-6. I don't know what God has planned, but I do know He has a plan that will enhance temple attendance. It has a lot to do with being committed.

I don't know if this has been addressed in the thread because I didn't read it all......so.....

The Sacrament is not administered in an Endowment session or during sealings or baptisms. We go to church on Sunday to renew our baptismal covenants.

EDIT:

Dravin said: what is being suggested is that people replace the sacrament with temple ordinances and it doesn't work that way.

Exactly.

Edited by applepansy

It may surprise some of you to know that the Salt Lake City temple (and on occasions some other temples) are open and in use on Sunday - by special invitation.

The Traveler

PS. for a moment I thought to display a bit of my dry humor here but thought that some feelings may be unnecessarily hurt and thought the better of it. There are some things the temples are used for beyond the normal “Temple work” - such as solemn assemblies. Also it is not uncommon for the First Presidency to meet with couples Sunday morning in the SLC temple.

It may surprise some of you to know that the Salt Lake City temple (and on occasions some other temples) are open and in use on Sunday - by special invitation.

The Traveler

PS. for a moment I thought to display a bit of my dry humor here but thought that some feelings may be unnecessarily hurt and thought the better of it. There are some things the temples are used for beyond the normal “Temple work” - such as solemn assemblies. Also it is not uncommon for the First Presidency to meet with couples Sunday morning in the SLC temple.

I thought of mentioning that too... There are other things the temple is used for, and I think those things generally happen on Sunday.

The Traveler

None of that replaces Sacrament meeting. :)