Cola drinks

Is it okay for Mormons to drink cola drinks?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay for Mormons to drink cola drinks?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • For medicinal purposes only.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consumption of caffeine, and the subsequent poor quality of sleep, is one of the things that makes the lives of MANY people less than it could be. No matter how well you think you sleep when you've had some caffeine, scientific tests show otherwise. And sleeplessness is a much larger problem than most recognize.

And with the half-life of caffeine, you have to stop drinking it by noon, or earlier, if you want enough of it out of you before bedtime.

So... I sometimes have one when I wake up. But no later.

I've seen so many people in my church drink soda, Coke, and even coffee (not hot!), that I don't even worry about this issue anymore. When I first got baptized it was a huge issue for me, I would fret endlessly about it. Everyone seems to interpret this differently. The guy who interviewed me before baptism even told me that it was okay to drink caffeinated sodas, just not hot drinks... gaaah!!! Every Mormon I ask gives me a different answer. I give up, LOL!!!! :D

Even the couple who introduced me to the Book of Mormon drink hot drinks (teas, mostly herbal). And the guy was a mission president for 3 years!

Edited by LeKook
Additional thoughts!

I'm pretty sure he wanted you to clarify how you felt that bit of trivia was related to the thread..

You mean everyone doesn't read my mind?

I think all the talk about how soda is acidic ticked off a small pet peeve inside. Everyone knocks soda because it's acidic and sugary (hey I do it too), then they turn around and talk about how great orange juice (insert any citric juice here) is for you. Great, I get orange juice has vitamin C, Pepsi has nothing going good for it, but they both will eat your throat if you drink them to excess, and orange juice will beat a cola drink to the punch by a good shot. So now here I am, ranting and raving about juice, in a thread about soda.

This discussion about caffeinated drinks reminds me of one I was in years ago about whether Christians should drink sparkling apple cider in public. The argument went that it could appear to be champagne or sparkling wine, and might cause others who see us to stumble (hey, isn't that guy a Christian--and he's drinking, so one won't hurt me, even though I'm a recovering alcoholic). I thought the standard was more than a bit much, though I'd never deny others their personal convictions. The problem with these is that they can become local convictions, and then sources of self-righteous spiritual pride, if we're not careful.

I think all the talk about how soda is acidic ticked off a small pet peeve inside. Everyone knocks soda because it's acidic and sugary (hey I do it too), then they turn around and talk about how great orange juice (insert any citric juice here) is for you. Great, I get orange juice has vitamin C, Pepsi has nothing going good for it, but they both will eat your throat if you drink them to excess, and orange juice will beat a cola drink to the punch by a good shot. So now here I am, ranting and raving about juice, in a thread about soda.

It may not have come through, but I am pretty much on board with the idea that trying to scare people with, "It cleans pennies!" it must be evil is applied rather lackadaisically (not only does OJ tend to get a pass, ketchup does too though admittedly people usually don't drink glasses of ketchup). You (generic you) want to make a cognizant argument about the health effects of particular substances make them. As far as my post, I was joining the "'Just saying' pH factoid hour."

Edited by Dravin

My personal opinion is that it's okay to drink cola drinks, in moderation. When I was a kid, my parents said not to drink cola drinks, and so I didn't. I remember going to McDonald's once with my Scout troop, and got all upset when they gave me a Coke instead of the root beer I had ordered. (Thinking back, I'm a little embarrassed by my reaction! LOL) Didn't have my first voluntary Coke until my mission, after I learned that it's not technically against the Word of Wisdom.

Anyway, as with a lot of things, I think moderation is the key. It's okay to eat strawberry cake, too, but if you eat too much, you'll get fat, and maybe get cavities. But it's not against the WoW.

The reason I'm doing this poll is because the question came up at work the other day. The people I work with are not LDS, but they do know LDS people like me. They know I don't drink coffee, tea, or alcohol. Apparently another LDS person told them we don't drink cola drinks, either, and my coworkers were wondering why I do drink Coke! So I explained to them that some LDS people think it's against the Word of Wisdom, but not all of us think that way. :lol:

Edited by HEthePrimate

In Islam there are various disagreements about what is Halal (permitted) or Haraam (forbidden) Of course pork is forbidden, but Muslims love their coffee, and strong.

And then you have the various schools of thought on lots of different issues. Some require the woman to have everything but eyes covered, while others do not even require Hijab. Some insist that woman must obey husband. Surah 4:34 and others say that man and woman are equal.

These various arguments get sublime to me, so I finally just did what I wanted to do.

It is good that we have living Prophet to keep us on one path.

A while back, it was said that Coke has more caffeen than a cup of coffee. And it was also said that Mormons owned Coka Cola. :blink:

jerome, when was the last time you drank 4 litres of orange juice in one day?

M.

I wonder - does anybody find that caffeine dulls the heart, making it more difficult to discern the promptings of the Spirit?

I've taught my children they should avoid caffeine, but also that it is up to them.

I've not noticed any association of caffeine with being able to discern the promptings of the Spirit.

I voted "yes" with the footnote of "moderation in all things".

On the note of caffeine, my husband, when he pulled grave shifts, would sometimes bring along a Rockstar. He didn't think he was going overboard, but now they are even more rare because he found his heart racing ever after just a few sips.

Edited by Backroads

I wonder - does anybody find that caffeine dulls the heart, making it more difficult to discern the promptings of the Spirit?

No, but it does make me need to pee more often. So I suppose if I was praying and suddenly needed to pee it might make it harder to feel any prompting besides "go to the bathroom."

In an effort to make this a more balanced discussion (singling out cola's is a bit narrow), allow me to list some other soda's, soft drinks, pop (pick your regional dialect) that have caffeine in them (not an inclusive list, just what I've seen in the markets before):

• A&W Cream Soda
  • Bawls Geek Beer
  • Big Red Soda
  • Canada Dry Green Tea Ginger Ale
  • Coke (All the iterations, minus the caffeine free ones)
  • Cheerwine
  • Dr Pepper (All the iterations)
  • Faygo Cola
  • Faygo Moon Mist
  • Inca Kola
  • Mello Yello
  • Mountain Dew (All the iterations)
  • Mr Pibb (All the iterations)
  • Pepsi (All the iterations, minus the caffeine free ones)
  • RC Cola (All the iterations)
  • Ruby Red Squirt
  • Hansen's Red
  • Shasta Cola
  • Slurpee, Cherry
  • Sun Drop
  • Sunkist Orange Soda
  • Sunkist Solar Fusion
  • Sunkist Ten
  • TaB
Note also that the diet and zero versions also have caffeine.

Source 1, Source 2, Source 3

What the heck is Geek Beer?????????

Geek Beer (Urban Dictionary)

slang term for bawls energy drink.

Because Bawls is so popular among online gamers and programmers, this beverage is commonly seen at LAN Party events, where players will bring Bawls cases like one would take beer to sporting events. Bawls has gained a nickname by some people of "Geek Beer" for this.

I.E. "Yo grab me a geek beer! 4am is too early for me to go to bed."

In an effort to make this a more balanced discussion (singling out cola's is a bit narrow), allow me to list some other soda's, soft drinks, pop (pick your regional dialect) that have caffeine in them (not an inclusive list, just what I've seen in the markets before):

• Mountain Dew (All the iterations)...
The ingredient makeup of Mountain Dew varies based on the country of production. For example, in Canada, the sweetener listed is "fructose/sucrose" and it is caffeine-free by default.[14]

Mountain Dew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M. :)

• A&W Cream Soda
  • Bawls Geek Beer
  • Big Red Soda
  • Canada Dry Green Tea Ginger Ale
  • Coke (All the iterations, minus the caffeine free ones)
  • etc... ad infinitum...
Note also that the diet and zero versions also have caffeine.

I think we've reached "straining at a gnat, swallowing a camel" status here. Albeit a bubbly, sweet, caffeine-laced camel. LOL!!!

Seriously though, how far do we go with this sort of stuff? I think the dividing line is where we notice the Holy Spirit is no longer present or influencing our actions. That's just my opinion, yes. I'm a perfectionist by nature, and I tend to get caught up in the letter of the law to the point where the "do this/don't do that" quantifiers become stumbling blocks. I'll obsessively go over lists of potential situations or choices to the point where the good I could be doing isn't getting done at all because I've put so much effort into worrying about a swig of cola or some other incidental thing.

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary. :roll:

-Lynn