Best way to lose 25 pounds

Vort

Jokes welcome, but I'm looking for serious answers. Assume the person in question is small-framed and was always skinny until he hit mid-30s, and is now late 40s and very wiggly around the middle. It's for a, uh, friend of mine.

Does this uh, friend consume a lot of sodas? Munches a lot through the day?

We need at least some details as to how we could help or make suggestions.

It takes a lot of discipline. Develop an exercise routine either independently or through a gym. Start being careful about what you eat. You may find a calorie counting program helpful (I'm sure they make apps for that). You might run the risk of looking like a dork for a few weeks, adding up the calories of all your meals, but after a few weeks you'll get the hang of it and can make decisions unassisted.

But it really is about discipline and taking the time to change a couple of lifestyle habits.

Kudos to you for taking it on! Maybe I'm cynical from working at the hospital too long, but we see way too many people who just want to pop a pill and maintain the current standard of living. It's refreshing to see people wanting to do something that will actually improve their health.

You may find a calorie counting program helpful (I'm sure they make apps for that).

I downloaded one on my phone. You can even use your phone to scan bar codes and it will tell you how many calores and the nutritional info.

The only way I ever took it off and kept it off was Weight Watchers. I've kept off most of what I lost for a few years, minus the twin pregnancy and time recovering from that. I hope I can take the rest off soon.

From my experience it's true that if you take it off fast (fad diets, low-carb, etc) you gain it back fast. I took this weight off over a few months, and even though my eating isn't what it should be, it mostly stays off and even when I gain a few pounds, it's easy to get it back off again. In other words, doing it the healthy way is best, rather than some kind of deprivation crash diet.

The only way I ever took it off and kept it off was Weight Watchers. I've kept off most of what I lost for a few years, minus the twin pregnancy and time recovering from that. I hope I can take the rest off soon.

From my experience it's true that if you take it off fast (fad diets, low-carb, etc) you gain it back fast. I took this weight off over a few months, and even though my eating isn't what it should be, it mostly stays off and even when I gain a few pounds, it's easy to get it back off again. In other words, doing it the healthy way is best, rather than some kind of deprivation crash diet.

Hey! I should listen to this advice, because I'm seriously considering the HCG diet!

It stinks to figure out your metabolism slows as you age! As MOE said, exercising and watching what you eat are the best ways to lose weight. Keeping track of what you eat is a good way to manage the food intake. Here's a website that is free that I have found very useful. It has a lot of features to help. Good luck to your um, friend.

Fit Day Site

If someone wants to lose 25 lbs, they can try any of the weight loss diets out there. Many of them work - I've done it at least half a dozen times in the last decade or two.

If someone wants to keep the 25 lbs off, well, I can only speak to things I continue to try, but that particular goal continues to elude me. The people who have actually reached that goal, talk to me about lifestyle changes, determination born of traumatic or powerful 'aha' moments, and other magical unicorn-like stories that I have no personal experience with.

As LM alludes, when picking your diet realize you need to be picking something you are good to go with for the rest of your life. At the point you conclude, "Goal reached! I can go back to my old habits." is the point you start heading right back where you started.

you need to eat "good" foods and stay away from sugars or foods that cause your body to produce insulin. For quick weight loss, try the 17 day diet (google) and then transition to healthy eating. Lots of water and LOTS of cardio. High intensity interval training is best for weight loss.... You should be able to shed unwanted inches and lbs to hit your goal in about 4 months...may be a tad longer. I mention inches because you ay find that you lose sufficient inches to look and feel good without dropping all the lbs.

Ditto MOE....you will lose weight...in a very unhealthy way because you are only eating 500 calories a day...not from HGC.

I had to lose around 80 pounds before and am trying to re-lose around 50. Things I have learned, weight loss is about persistence. Remember that, persistence, persistence, persistence. Another thing that has helped me is realizing that diet is for weight loss and exercise is for fitness. Although you should do both for optimal weight loss. Just exercise in the morning, drink water frequently and eat less calories throughout the day. Then lastly, what Bytor said, eat good foods. That is what has worked for me and I have lost 15 pounds so far.

Persist, persist, persist, persist, persist, persist, persist, persist, persist, persist, persist, persist:D

Edited by Tyler90AZ
forgot to add drink water

Also, as you age, your body loses muscle...so, lifting weights is a good weigh to burn fat. Really, it's more about losing muscle than a slowing metabolism.

I am 47, 6 feet tall and weigh 200lbs and am about 10-12% body fat. I eat around 2000 calories a day, do extreme cardio 4 days a week, lift weights 4 days a week (benching 330 now). It really is about ....lifestyle.

Edited by bytor2112

I am 47, 6 feet tall and weigh 20lbs and am about 10-12% body fat. I eat around 2000 calories a day, do extreme cardio 4 days a week, lift weights 4 days a week (benching 330 now). It really is about ....lifestyle.

And you are still alive? :lol:

20 lbs. I'm just saying.... I hear many people say they wish they could get down to what they used to weigh..That's ridiculous. :)

**This is in reference to Bytor's comment btw**

Edited by pam

For what is worth: I was always skinny (genes thanks to mom) and after a few kids I put on probably 10 pounds maximum so I am around 115lbs at the moment. I'm quite health conscious (not fanatic so I still love my pizza, my pasta and my tacos). I think the problem sometimes of why some people may have a hard time losing weight is because they go on diets. Personally, I don't believe in diets. I think the easiest and healthiest way to lose way and keep it it's to make it a lifestyle change rather than a temporal fix (diets). Exercising is key. But because all this takes a lot of work AND long time commitment, few people end up losing the weight and maintain it.

For what is worth: I was always skinny (genes thanks to mom) and after a few kids I put on probably 10 pounds maximum so I am around 115lbs at the moment.

Rub it in Suzie. :lol:

"Diets" don't work for me. It seems if I deprive myself I start to crave whatever is off limits. And for me, because I love to eat, and love to bake, and because eating is a necessity, I just can't seem to stay away from all the goodies that I love. I really got depressed about it over a year ago. I had an "aha" moment though. Okay, I might not be able to stop myself from eating all the goodies, and I might eat more than I should, but there are things that I absolutely can do. I can exercise. And I can be more careful with portion size. I have been able to lose 20 lbs. by walking 45 min. a day, four to five days a week. I don't eat after 8 pm. If I am craving something after 8, then I will allow myself some popcorn. And I am more conscious of portion sizes. I eat and cook what I always have, I'm just more careful with the portions. These are things that I CAN do. For some reason, I can't seem to give up the goodies. If I do slip up and eat after 8, or during the Holidays when I ate too much, then I just go back to it and keep up with my walking. It's coming off slowly. I only lose about one pound every 2 weeks. But, at least it's coming off.

Edited by classylady

Reduce sugar and processed foods. Eat more veggies and grains. Consume good fats such as Olive Oil and virgin Coconut Oil. Exercise.

Sounds simple. Its not.

I focus on being healthy. Diets do not work for me. Try to change one thing at a time and them move on to the next. Example: Add exercise...any exercise. Exercise increases cortisol and reduces stress. Exercise alone will change your body in a positive way. When you've established a good strong habit then make the next change. Add veggies or switch to good fats.

Small consistent changes will have big benefits over the long term. Try to cut out sugar. Read labels and avoid fructose. (If you want to know more about Sugar in all its forms look up "Sugar:The Bitter Truth" on youtube.

Jokes welcome, but I'm looking for serious answers. Assume the person in question is small-framed and was always skinny until he hit mid-30s, and is now late 40s and very wiggly around the middle. It's for a, uh, friend of mine.

Take Up Kenpo Karate :D

Please please please do not do this. If you'd like to know how I feel about this (moronic) idea of a diet, do a forum search for hcg with my name.

Maybe it's just my computer, but I've never been able to use the search function. I put in the perimeters and click the button, it looks like it's going to load, then keeps me on the same page I'm on. I'd love your scientific perspective on it, though. There is anecdotal evidence all around me that it works in taking off problem areas, which is my main concern. My hips and belly just don't want to let go of weight, no matter how much I seem to lose.