Gospel of Jesus Christ - Easy or hard

Traveler

I asked this question some time ago on this forum - Perhaps now is a good time to revisit this question. Is it easy or difficult in this life to live as a saint? Did Jesus ask too much of his followers?

Is anyone sure that G-d will welcome them to live with him? Do we personally feel we will or will not be in heaven (the Celestial Kingdom)? Do we like or love living the commandments? Are there any commandments you do not like or find difficult? Do you feel that living all the commandments is a no sweat kind of thing or something unrealistic? Do you like repenting? ….

I could go on but hopefully I have sparked some thoughts and opinions. What think you?

The Traveler

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be hard to those who are not a part of it, but I think for the most part it is easy for members because we are used to it. The hard part is withstanding temptations from the world. If we are following his commandments and continually repenting of our wrongdoings, we should have the comfort of knowing that we will live in the Celestial Kingdom with our Father in Heaven and our families. I don't think any of the commandments are unrealistic, some are hard though. For instance, I was raised in the Southern US where sweet tea is a huge commodity, and it was tough for me to give up when I was baptized, along with coffee, but it was worth it! I do not like the heartache of repentance, but I love the opportunity to be clean again. That's what I love about it. I love keeping the commandments because I love the feeling I have when I do. When I'm not as strict with myself, it's harder for me to feel the Spirit.

EASY!!!! I have lived both sides and would not want to live or go through the horrible consequences that I had to go through.It is so much easier to keep the commandments and have god on your side all the time.

One thing I notice is when I wasn't living the gospel and bad things would happen I would pray but prayers were not answered near as fast as when I am keeping the commandments. When bad things would happened I had so much fear because I knew I hadn't been keeping the commandments and that god would be slow to hear my prayers.

For this topic, I think it's important to know that just because you're following the commandments, it does not 'exempt' you from bad things happening in this life. Otherwise, the church would be larger since we'd all be living in the garden of Eden once we were baptized.

When we are living in accordance to the commandments, we have an inner peace. Our addictions are lessened (not because they are removed, but they are managed well). Our spiritual eyes are looking towards God and His wisdom for us.

Living in such a way that "heaven is on our side" is much better than being left to "kick against the pricks" (D&C 121:38).

Learning curves exist in all things. There are experiences to be had, challenges to overcome, expectations to meet. But the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a very special program.

What's really the hard part of living the gospel can boil down to 2 things: Our own individual perfection, which is not required of us in this life, but is what we spend our time reaching, and dealing with the frustrations of imperfection at all levels of life, from individual illnesses and concerns, spiritual as well as physical, to those of others.

Is anyone sure that G-d will welcome them to live with him? Do we personally feel we will or will not be in heaven (the Celestial Kingdom)? Do we like or love living the commandments? Are there any commandments you do not like or find difficult? Do you feel that living all the commandments is a no sweat kind of thing or something unrealistic? Do you like repenting?

Anyone who understands the gospel should believe Christ enough to trust his word that those who have faith, repent, are baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and the ordinances, and then endure to the end will receive eternal life.

Everyone has a commandment they find hard, and don't really like. I am sure of it. Everyone who reads the Book of Mormon and the New Testament should think that living all the commandments is unrealistic. Jesus commanded everyone to be absolutely perfect, like Father in Heaven.

I love repenting. I live to repent. It's a blessing, a hard truth that needs to be processed by most of us before really coming to like it -- but it is wonderful. Nobody becomes anything better without working on it, and that involves a change of heart and mind (as denoted by the Greek word) as well as the change of action that naturally follows from it.

I want to end by saying that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is easier to live when we feel blessings come from it. Sometimes it becomes a matter of going through the motions, so we have to remember that a real living individual is managing the Plan of Salvation, and that he is our Father. Sincerity can be a challenge, I think, to all of us. Especially when there are so many things to DO, DO, DO. So it's always up and down.

But ultimately, my answer is that it is a pleasure living it.

The gospel of faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the holy ghost, the other laws and ordinances and enduring to the end is something that everyone can understand and live. Jesus Christ is willing to help anyone. He requires the heart and a willing mind, a broken heart and a contrite spirit, and that we do our best. But he does not expect that we succeed by ourselves now. In fact, he knows that we can't do it, so he will help us to succeed. That part is really easy, it just takes a loooong time while dealing with the 2 things above.

So enduring to the end is the hard part. That's what I think.

"My yoke is easy, and my burden light."

I am firmly of the opinion that our lives are easy in direct proportion to how closely we follow God's commandments.

I'm not sure I'd say our lives will be easy, for reasons similar to what Skippy mentions, but I would say that living the Gospel, in general, becomes easier the more closely we follow God's commandments and how long we've been doing so. There is almost a momentum effect, it can be extremely hard to get going but once you've had your shoulder to the wheel with enough 'umph' or long enough, or both, things become easier.

From my religious perspective, it is hard. At it's easiest, it is still a pebble in my shoe. I want it my way, the truth to be as I see it or feel it, not what it is, God on my terms, not His. Fortunately, God does not expect we will become perfect in this life, but He does expect us to remain faithful and strive for it. With faith, hope, and charity, it never becomes easy, but it does become joyous! :cloud9:

Edited by Desertknight

I like this question.

My answer is BOTH. :) I guess I see it as one of those paradoxical kinds of things. Living the basics of the gospel does become easier and so does doing the will of the Lord when one has decided to plug in to the spiritual/individual promptings. But it is also my experience that God keeps us challenged and comfort zones don't last long. I think that living inside the paradox is the true sweet spot of spiritual living.

I like this question.

My answer is BOTH. :) I guess I see it as one of those paradoxical kinds of things. Living the basics of the gospel does become easier and so does doing the will of the Lord when one has decided to plug in to the spiritual/individual promptings. But it is also my experience that God keeps us challenged and comfort zones don't last long. I think that living inside the paradox is the true sweet spot of spiritual living.

Are my eyes deceiving me? Is it really Miss 1/2?

I read through this string and think of my own life. It has been easier to live the gospel than the alternative would have been. There were two suicides in my senior class of high school. Many of my friends discovered drugs, alcohol abuse, and failed relationships. Life would have been quite lonely without Jesus to guide me.

Yet, I know that following the gospel can be harder--much harder. How many of us have lost friendships or seen them grow distant? How many could not use that extra 10% in income each month? How many of us get excited when we have to "take up our cross" in a sacrificial, painful way?

They way of Jesus is truth, life and the one way. Often it is easier. However, I must be ready for when it is not.

I like this question.

It is my opinion that it is not just difficult to live the gospel of Jesus Christ it is impossible. That is - it is impossible to live the gospel without the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

On the other hand; it is also my opinion that once we covenant with G-d then as long as we "allow" the spirit to be with us and direct us, it is not just easy to live the gospel - it is impossible to not live the gospel.

The Traveler

It is my opinion that it is not just difficult to live the gospel of Jesus Christ it is impossible. That is - it is impossible to live the gospel without the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

On the other hand; it is also my opinion that once we covenant with G-d then as long as we "allow" the spirit to be with us and direct us, it is not just easy to live the gospel - it is impossible to not live the gospel.

The Traveler

Not sure about the second paragraph here, but I like the idea in the first. Makes me think of BofM scriptures that talk about being perfect in Christ -- which is a concept I'm am still trying to comprehend.

"Allowing" is an important idea. Maybe it's like submission to the will of God or perhaps surrendering to the refining processes of God. Easy stuff to talk about. Going through is a whole other layer of knowing that I'm not sure one can share with another.

Traveler, I do so agree that the Holy Ghost is crucial. On the other hand, you surely do not mean that it is impossible for a Spirit-filled Saint to stumble into error, or a singular sin?

I am very serous my friend Prisonchaplain. As serious as I have ever been about anything I have ever posted. In order to stumble into error we must cast off the spirit of G-d - because we cannot sin "with our hand in G-ds". Such a thing is impossible - we must "let go of his hand" to even entertain the possibility of sin and error.

The Traveler

This link is to a relatively short statement about sanctification and holiness. It describes an understanding that's come to be known as "progressive sanctification." It contrasts with "entire sanctification," and suggests that we strive for holiness, rather than expecting to attain "sinless perfection" within mortality. Are you addressing this issue and agreeing with the idea of mortal perfection, or am I misunderstanding you?

Sanctification & Holiness

There's a good talk by President Hunter about this. He said:

Why face life’s burdens alone, Christ asks, or why face them with temporal support that will quickly falter? To the heavy laden it is Christ’s yoke, it is the power and peace of standing side by side with a God that will provide the support, balance, and the strength to meet our challenges and endure our tasks here in the hardpan field of mortality.

Obviously, the personal burdens of life vary from person to person, but every one of us has them. Furthermore, each trial in life is tailored to the individual’s capacities and needs as known by a loving Father in Heaven. Of course, some sorrows are brought on by the sins of a world not following the counsel of that Father in Heaven. Whatever the reason, none of us seems to be completely free from life’s challenges. To one and all, Christ said, in effect: As long as we all must bear some burden and shoulder some yoke, why not let it be mine? My promise to you is that my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (See Matt. 11:28–30.)

?Come unto Me? - Ensign Nov. 1990 - ensign

The truth is that it doesn't seem easy or light to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Edited by Shawn_

In the LDS church, we have been specifically taught that in this life, we cannot attain perfection. Case in point would be a General Conference talk -but I can't remember which one. Probably within the last 10 or 15 years.

HJ