Why would anyone object to the idea that Jesus was married?

Vort

Originally Posted by Bini Posted Image Because it's hard to believe that a god would have marital relations with a mortal and lesser being. God is perfection, we, all of us are imperfect.

I could be wrong with beefche's intent and question, however if I understood her correctly, you have already answered your own question, and it may no longer appear as weird.

Correct me if I am wrong pertaining to your intent beefche, but I think the question results, that in the end, are we all not perfect, and would no longer be seen as an imperfect but exhalted being?

Thus, if Christ did marry, in the end his partner would be equal, because of her exhaltation, who would no longer be a lesser being or mortal.

If I understood your question right beefche, it was a question that already provided an answer.

Do you mean Bini?

M.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what beings did God not create?

I might be getting deeper into this discussion than I am knowledgeable (LDS doctrine or otherwise). In my head, it would make more sense that a god (in this case the Lord or Jesus) would be espoused to another god. I was speculating from the aspect that there are other gods out there, not created by the hand of the Lord, as it was my understanding that even He had parents (a god father and a god mother). Not sure if this is making my line of thinking anymore clearer..

Nobody who understands LDS doctrine would agree with a "purely terrestrial version". Like Prisonchaplain has pointed out several times our religion does not believe in "created" de novo mortal beings. We believe that we are both spirit, eternal and pure beings, children of our Heavenly Father and in this life temporarily with a mortal body. I am not my mortal body, I am a child of God.

For you to make a statement that #1 choice is a "purely terrestrial version" makes me wonder if you really have a testimony that we are all children of God, existing as spirit children before this life. Any "mortal wife" choice is not just mortal. Man sees the outside, God sees us as our true selves including our potential and future. You may look at a "mortal wife" as terrestrial, I can testify to you that God does not see us as man does.

The eternal plan of happiness allows us to descend to move forward and onward. I can tell you there are many souls who have passed through this life that have never strayed off the straight and narrow, that have never left hold of the iron rod. Are they perfect while here? No. But they are repented and as such are made pure and clean, white as snow which makes them way more than terrestrial beings. If one truly has a testimony of the redeeming ability of our Savior then one can look beyond this telestial existence to the real work of our God which is to bring to pass the eternal life of man. God sees the value of a single soul because He has that eternal perspective. Too bad it is so hard for us to see that. This is why Jesus had no problem seeing the leper as more than what man sees him, or the sinner as more than what man sees him. Jesus would have had the ability to see a Celestial being in the making as a potential eternal mate more than we would have the ability to judge such a thing.

I agree with you. It may have gone that way.

Do you acknowledge that it could also be as a describe in #2?

I learned that the Savior was the only begotten Son of God in the flesh in the MTC as well. It took me aback then. As this is being discussed here and I did a little searching to see if this was still taught (it is), I realized there is probably a good reason as to why the lesson asserts this so strongly. For example, it says;

Jesus Christ is the Firstborn in the spirit and the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh.

Among the spirit children of Elohim, the first-born was and is Jehovah, or Jesus Christ, to whom all others are juniors.14

Jesus Christ is not the Father of the spirits who have taken or yet shall take bodies upon this earth, for he is one of them. He is the Son, as they are sons or daughters of Elohim.15

[Jesus Christ] is essentially greater than any and all others, by reason (1) of His seniority as the oldest or firstborn; (2) of His unique status in the flesh as the offspring of a mortal mother and of an immortal, or resurrected and glorified, Father; (3) of His selection and foreordination as the one and only Redeemer and Savior of the race; and (4) of His transcendent sinlessness.16

There is no doubt in the minds of Latter-day Saints in relation to the existence and personage of the Lord God Almighty, who is the Father of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. There is no doubt in the minds of Latter-day Saints that Jesus is the Son of God, being begotten of the Father in the flesh.17

Jesus Christ is the Son of Elohim both as spiritual and bodily offspring; that is to say, Elohim is literally the Father of the spirit of Jesus Christ and also of the body in which Jesus Christ performed His mission in the flesh, and which body died on the cross and was afterward taken up by the process of resurrection, and is now the immortalized tabernacle of the eternal spirit of our Lord and Savior.18

Jesus Christ was born of his mother, Mary. He had a fleshly tabernacle. He was crucified on the cross; and his body was raised from the dead. He burst the bonds of the grave, and came forth to newness of life, a living soul, a living being, a man with a body, with parts and with spirit—the spirit and the body becoming a living and immortal soul.19

God the Father … is the Father of our spirits, and … the Father in the flesh, of his Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who joined divine immortality with the mortal, welded the link between God and man, made it possible for mortal souls, on whom the sentence of death had been placed, to acquire eternal life, through obedience to his laws. Let us, therefore, seek the truth and walk in the light as Christ is in the light, that we may have fellowship with him, and with each other, that his blood may cleanse us from all sin.20

Maybe the reason this is so important as to be asserted is because it reminds us of the deity of Jesus Christ, as our Savior and Redeemer, as well as being born in this earthly state of a mortal mother. Being born in this state of a mortal mother left Him able to experience the pain, suffering, temptations and sorrows so necessary for Him to experience to be able to understand what we face here perfectly and to know how to succor us in the flesh. Being born of an Immortal, Perfect Father gave Him the power to perfectly resist temptation, suffer infinitely for our sins and not become overwhelmed by the suffering, and then to be resurrected to a perfected body. A gift also given to all of us freely. Some scriptures come to mind;

Alma 15:1-9;

1 And now Abinadi said unto them: I would that ye should understand that aGod himself shall bcome down among the children of men, and shall credeem his people.

2 And because he adwelleth in bflesh he shall be called the cSon of God, and having subjected the flesh to the dwill of the eFather, being the Father and the Son—

3 The Father, abecause he was bconceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son—

4 And they are aone God, yea, the very bEternal cFather of heaven and of earth.

5 And thus the flesh becoming subject to the Spirit, or the Son to the Father, being one God, asuffereth temptation, and yieldeth not to the temptation, but suffereth himself to be mocked, and bscourged, and cast out, and disowned by his cpeople.

6 And after all this, after working many mighty miracles among the children of men, he shall be led, yea, even aas Isaiah said, as a sheep before the shearer is dumb, so he bopened not his mouth.

7 Yea, even so he shall be led, acrucified, and slain, the bflesh becoming subject even unto death, the cwill of the Son being swallowed up in the will of the Father.

8 And thus God breaketh the abands of death, having gained the bvictory over death; giving the Son power to make cintercession for the children of men—

9 Having ascended into heaven, having the bowels of mercy; being filled with compassion towards the children of men; standing betwixt them and justice; having broken the bands of death, taken upon ahimself their iniquity and their transgressions, having redeemed them, and bsatisfied the demands of justice.

So, I see the necessity of the Savior being born of a mortal mother and a perfected, immortal Father. It makes a lot of sense to me.

I learned that the Savior was the only begotten Son of God in the flesh in the MTC as well. It took me aback then. As this is being discussed here and I did a little searching to see if this was still taught (it is), I realized there is probably a good reason as to why the lesson asserts this so strongly. For example, it says;

Jesus Christ is the Firstborn in the spirit and the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh.

Among the spirit children of Elohim, the first-born was and is Jehovah, or Jesus Christ, to whom all others are juniors.14

Jesus Christ is not the Father of the spirits who have taken or yet shall take bodies upon this earth, for he is one of them. He is the Son, as they are sons or daughters of Elohim.15

[Jesus Christ] is essentially greater than any and all others, by reason (1) of His seniority as the oldest or firstborn; (2) of His unique status in the flesh as the offspring of a mortal mother and of an immortal, or resurrected and glorified, Father; (3) of His selection and foreordination as the one and only Redeemer and Savior of the race; and (4) of His transcendent sinlessness.16

There is no doubt in the minds of Latter-day Saints in relation to the existence and personage of the Lord God Almighty, who is the Father of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. There is no doubt in the minds of Latter-day Saints that Jesus is the Son of God, being begotten of the Father in the flesh.17

Jesus Christ is the Son of Elohim both as spiritual and bodily offspring; that is to say, Elohim is literally the Father of the spirit of Jesus Christ and also of the body in which Jesus Christ performed His mission in the flesh, and which body died on the cross and was afterward taken up by the process of resurrection, and is now the immortalized tabernacle of the eternal spirit of our Lord and Savior.18

Jesus Christ was born of his mother, Mary. He had a fleshly tabernacle. He was crucified on the cross; and his body was raised from the dead. He burst the bonds of the grave, and came forth to newness of life, a living soul, a living being, a man with a body, with parts and with spirit—the spirit and the body becoming a living and immortal soul.19

God the Father … is the Father of our spirits, and … the Father in the flesh, of his Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who joined divine immortality with the mortal, welded the link between God and man, made it possible for mortal souls, on whom the sentence of death had been placed, to acquire eternal life, through obedience to his laws. Let us, therefore, seek the truth and walk in the light as Christ is in the light, that we may have fellowship with him, and with each other, that his blood may cleanse us from all sin.20

Maybe the reason this is so important as to be asserted is because it reminds us of the deity of Jesus Christ, as our Savior and Redeemer, as well as being born in this earthly state of a mortal mother. Being born in this state of a mortal mother left Him able to experience the pain, suffering, temptations and sorrows so necessary for Him to experience to be able to understand what we face here perfectly and to know how to succor us in the flesh. Being born of an Immortal, Perfect Father gave Him the power to perfectly resist temptation, suffer infinitely for our sins and not become overwhelmed by the suffering, and then to be resurrected to a perfected body. A gift also given to all of us freely. Some scriptures come to mind;

Alma 15:1-9;

1 And now Abinadi said unto them: I would that ye should understand that aGod himself shall bcome down among the children of men, and shall credeem his people.

2 And because he adwelleth in bflesh he shall be called the cSon of God, and having subjected the flesh to the dwill of the eFather, being the Father and the Son—

3 The Father, abecause he was bconceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son—

4 And they are aone God, yea, the very bEternal cFather of heaven and of earth.

5 And thus the flesh becoming subject to the Spirit, or the Son to the Father, being one God, asuffereth temptation, and yieldeth not to the temptation, but suffereth himself to be mocked, and bscourged, and cast out, and disowned by his cpeople.

6 And after all this, after working many mighty miracles among the children of men, he shall be led, yea, even aas Isaiah said, as a sheep before the shearer is dumb, so he bopened not his mouth.

7 Yea, even so he shall be led, acrucified, and slain, the bflesh becoming subject even unto death, the cwill of the Son being swallowed up in the will of the Father.

8 And thus God breaketh the abands of death, having gained the bvictory over death; giving the Son power to make cintercession for the children of men—

9 Having ascended into heaven, having the bowels of mercy; being filled with compassion towards the children of men; standing betwixt them and justice; having broken the bands of death, taken upon ahimself their iniquity and their transgressions, having redeemed them, and bsatisfied the demands of justice.

So, I see the necessity of the Savior being born of a mortal mother and a perfected, immortal Father. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Nothing objectionable in all of that.

I agree with you. It may have gone that way.

Do you acknowledge that it could also be as a describe in #2?

I suppose. I don't have a strong opinion about that one way or the other but I wouldn't arrive at that conclusion by process of elimination. I wouldn't say that that is what it has to be because there is no other reasonable explanation.

One of the things I love about this religion is that we truly believe in the power of Jesus to fully redeem us from our mortal chains back to a state of purity we had before coming here and beyond. I have a testimony of that power and I see all of my brothers and sisters with that very potential. I would tend to believe that Jesus could see the potential even more than I possibly could and this is probably why He says things like 'forgive them for they know not what they do' or even is able to forgive the sinner and look beyond the outward appearance of the leper.

In fact, I think this is one of the main tests in this world, do we focus on the carnal or do we focus on the spiritual? Those that focus on the carnal as if that is some type of permanent state to the point of declaring that that is who the person really is and they start to convince themselves that that is true and learn to love that idea will eventually have a harder time seeing the spiritual. The carnal becomes reality over the spiritual making it unbelievable that Jesus could be associated with such a creature. I believe that God and Jesus sees carnality for what it is, something that in the end turns to dust. Satan loves to make the carnal things of this world seem more important than they really are.

If we are so fortunate to be resurrected into a Celestial state, don't you think that our carnal features would be equally glorious as God's and Jesus. We are told that we will be "one" and inherit all if we our worthy of that Kingdom. So, the only thing Jesus would have to find as an "equal", (if you really think that is a requirement) is in terms of spiritual pathway and potential, one that spiritually would make it into the same state of glory He achieves by His resurrection.

I suppose. I don't have a strong opinion about that one way or the other but I wouldn't arrive at that conclusion by process of elimination. I wouldn't say that that is what it has to be because there is no other reasonable explanation.

One of the things I love about this religion is that we truly believe in the power of Jesus to fully redeem us from our mortal chains back to a state of purity we had before coming here and beyond. I have a testimony of that power and I see all of my brothers and sisters with that very potential. I would tend to believe that Jesus could see the potential even more than I possibly could and this is probably why He says things like 'forgive them for they know not what they do' or even is able to forgive the sinner and look beyond the outward appearance of the leper.

In fact, I think this is one of the main tests in this world, do we focus on the carnal or do we focus on the spiritual? Those that focus on the carnal as if that is some type of permanent state to the point of declaring that that is who the person really is and they start to convince themselves that that is true and learn to love that idea will eventually have a harder time seeing the spiritual. The carnal becomes reality over the spiritual making it unbelievable that Jesus could be associated with such a creature. I believe that God and Jesus sees carnality for what it is, something that in the end turns to dust. Satan loves to make the carnal things of this world seem more important than they really are.

If we are so fortunate to be resurrected into a Celestial state, don't you think that our carnal features would be equally glorious as God's and Jesus. We are told that we will be "one" and inherit all if we our worthy of that Kingdom. So, the only thing Jesus would have to find as an "equal", (if you really think that is a requirement) is in terms of spiritual pathway and potential, one that spiritually would make it into the same state of glory He achieves by His resurrection.

I agree. And will go a bit further to say that the female counterpart to Jesus was also selected to be his wife by the Father from the beginning of time. She's got to be a winner, spiritually speaking of course.

I agree. And will go a bit further to say that the female counterpart to Jesus was also selected to be his wife by the Father from the beginning of time. She's got to be a winner, spiritually speaking of course.

My wife, is definitely a "winner" and is of such caliber as pertaining to imperfect souls, that women of her character, honesty, love for life, love for children, love for people, hard work and dilligence (despite how she may feel) would have qualified for the Savior's companion.

However, she was born in my time, she condescended herself in saying "Yes" to me. I guess, I only have to look at my relationship of a near perfect woman, married to an imperfect man to recognize that it is plausible that a pefect man could easily marry an imperfect woman. :D

I am just playing the devil's advocate pertaining to "she's got to be a winner." Most of the women upon this earth are "winners." ;)

My wife, is definitely a "winner" and is of such caliber as pertaining to imperfect souls, that women of her character, honesty, love for life, love for children, love for people, hard work and dilligence (despite how she may feel) would have qualified for the Savior's companion.

However, she was born in my time, she condescended herself in saying "Yes" to me. I guess, I only have to look at my relationship of a near perfect woman, married to an imperfect man to recognize that it is plausible that a pefect man could easily marry an imperfect woman. :D

I am just playing the devil's advocate pertaining to "she's got to be a winner." Most of the women upon this earth are "winners." ;)

The couples I know in the LDS church are awesome. Both halves are genuine and kind. Their children are wonderful. Their service to Christ, stellar. If I didn't have the promise of a like creation, I would be jealous.

Thanks for sharing your tribute.

Sorry for not remembering your engagement of my comment on the "Glory Days" thread.

Both threads have educated me on the root of the problem (sorry again, I'm a slow learner). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Jesus had to be married before his mortal death because he was resurrected in three days and marriage does not occur after the resurrection of the dead.

(I'm not mentioning the fact that marriage is required for exaltation since I never disputed that point.)

This understanding is imposed by LDS revelation and Mark 12:18-27.

It all comes down to the limitations of this three day window of Christ's resurrection.

As it stands, this leaves only two options:

1) Jesus took an earthly and mortal wife.

2) A wife was sealed unto him by the Holy Spirit of promise and God fulfilled the promise of a wife in a celestial way while Jesus was still on earth.

Since I do not sustain the first purely terrestrial version, I stand witness to the second celestial miracle.

I don't see how the second option fits with what has been revealed. You're proposing that an ordinance is sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise before it has even been performed? (applying your "absence of evidence" argument again) Is there any example in the scriptures of an earthly ordinance being sealed before it is performed?

The second option that the premises lead to is "Jesus is not and will not be married". To get a different conclusion besides these two, you would need to discredit the premises. You're theory of a future-married Jesus doesn't really fit the traditional marriage arguments.

I don't see how the second option fits with what has been revealed. You're proposing that an ordinance is sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise before it has even been performed? (applying your "absence of evidence" argument again) Is there any example in the scriptures of an earthly ordinance being sealed before it is performed?

Ephesians speaks of the Holy Spirit of Promise sealing the pledge of our inheritance (before actually receiving it) in chapter 1:

"12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."

I am sure it is the same promise confirmed to Abraham by the Holy Ghost.

The second option that the premises lead to is "Jesus is not and will not be married". To get a different conclusion besides these two, you would need to discredit the premises. You're theory of a future-married Jesus doesn't really fit the traditional marriage arguments.

I'm not following your argument.

As I understand the workings of the Holy Spirit of Promise:

1) An inquiry is made; Jesus prays to the Father about marriage.

2) The Holy Spirit of Promise promises a wife.

3) The power of God fulfills the promise from heaven.

4) Jesus and his wife come to know each other; the marriage is sealed on earth and his wife returns to heaven.

It follows the traditions established in the Law of Moses. Namely, the man desires a woman; the woman is betrothed (promised) to him; they are sealed for eternity in the eyes of God; and the pair comes together as one in marriage.

The first is Celestial in nature; the second is terrestrial.

Edited by Bensalem

I'm not following your argument.

As I understand the workings of the Holy Spirit of Promise:

1) An inquiry is made; Jesus prays to the Father about marriage.

2) The Holy Spirit of Promise promises a wife.

3) The power of God fulfills the promise from heaven.

4) Jesus and his wife come to know each other; the marriage is sealed on earth and his wife returns to heaven.

It follows the traditions established in the Law of Moses. Namely, the man desires a woman; the woman is betrothed (promised) to him; they are sealed for eternity in the eyes of God; and the pair comes together as one in marriage.

The first is Celestial in nature; the second is terrestrial.

You're understanding of how the Holy Spirit of promise works (in the context of marriage) is different from mine. Based on Doctrine and Covenants 132:18-19 

1) The marriage covenant is made

2) The Holy Spirit of promise ratifies the ordinance

The Holy Spirit of promise does not promise that you will one day receive a spouse; the Holy Spirit of promise promises that your exaltation is assured. In the context of sealings (as explained in D&C 132), the promise is made after you are already married.

I find this thread interesting, but I'm afraid I don't see any scriptural reference as to where Jesus is married. I feel like I've been suckered into this as I've been searching for passages that might clear this up. Thus far the only links I've found seem to stem from theologians that support the Savior not being married.

Anyway, can someone show me a passage that states where Jesus is married?

Bruce R. McConkie explains what the Holy Spirit of Promise is very well here. It does not describe at all what Bensalem described.

AND

You're understanding of how the Holy Spirit of promise works (in the context of marriage) is different from mine. Based on Doctrine and Covenants 132:18-19*

1) The marriage covenant is made

2) The Holy Spirit of promise ratifies the ordinance

The Holy Spirit of promise does not promise that you will one day receive a spouse; the Holy Spirit of promise promises that your exaltation is assured. In the context of sealings (as explained in D&C 132), the promise is made after you are already married.

What is the difference between promising a wife and promising exaltation, knowing that a wife is required for exaltation?

Jesus must have known that marriage was required. So whether he prays for a wife or prays to confirm his exaltation, when the promise is given, it all comes to the same thing...he shall be married (he shall have a wife), his exaltation is assured.

The Holy Spirit of Promise (aka, the Holy Ghost) is not limited to affirmation of covenants; the promise can be manifested in any "contract, bond, obligation, oath, vow, performance, connection, association, or expectation." (Bruce R. McConkie)

So the expectation (prayer) may have been confirmed before the covenant was made. Btw, a covenant is only a promise connected to a future blessing. So there is nothing wrong in my sequence of events: Prayer leads to confirmation, covenants (promises) are made and blessings are offered, and the fulfillment comes from God in honor of his promised blessing.

Jesus had a direct line to the Father; priesthood-to-priesthood. There was no Melchizedek priesthood on earth at that time except Jesus (and later the apostles). So the Jewish priesthood could not have officiated Jesus' celestial marriage as required by D&C today in the latter-day Temples.

Isn't Jesus turning to the Father in covenant the same as us turning to the LDS priesthood in the latter-days? The goal is the same, our wish and pray is to be sealed in heaven. The blessing is only fulfilled after (and if) we die in a state of worthiness.

The sealing power we maintain in the LDS Church is the same as God and Christ. Its absent from the Jewish landscape does not limit God from officiating a marriage by his own power.

Edited by Bensalem

I find this thread interesting, but I'm afraid I don't see any scriptural reference as to where Jesus is married. I feel like I've been suckered into this as I've been searching for passages that might clear this up. Thus far the only links I've found seem to stem from theologians that support the Savior not being married.

Anyway, can someone show me a passage that states where Jesus is married?

No, it doesn't exist. The only thing we have is latter-day revelation that states marriage is required in order to attain the highest exaltation in the celestial kingdom. Therefore, Jesus must be married.

Arguments from silence are notoriously week. The Bible does not say that Jesus was not married, so he was? Really? Because he was a rabbi?

Well, the Bible never says Jesus WAS married, so it must be that he was not--by this line of reasoning. As for Jesus status as a rabbi--it seems likely he was not an official one, but rather that his disciples had taken to calling him one, because of his obvious wisdom. Remember too that he confounded the teachers when he was 12. Nevertheless, it seems unlikely that the carpenter from Nazareth sat under teachers of the law for formal training.

There is anecdotal evidence that leads one to believe Jesus may have been married. Jesus was called Rabbi by more than just his disciples (him having a following in and of itself is somewhat evidential of his status as a rabbi), the Pharisees called him that, Sadducee's called him that, teachers of the law called him that, commoners called him that, he referred to himself as that.

I find it very likely that Jesus was a rabbi with authority, this leads us to the fact that usually (almost required that) rabbi's were married, and it would have been highly unusual for Jesus to be a rabbi and single, and it would have likely been noted somewhere if he were single and an explanation given.

Obviously none of the above is bullet proof, and may even be somewhat flawed, as it is based on what I have read and gathered from discussions of the Jewish culture at the time and whether or not Jesus was a rabbi. I am in no way an expert on this stuff ^_^

I also faintly recall reading about Jesus speaking to the pharisees and essentially condemning them for seeking his death when he had taught side by side with them. Sometime near to His crucifixion I believe.

Jesus taught as one having authority--not like the teachers of the law. This, from the crowds. What Christ told the Pharisees is that he had taught openly--but certainly not side by side with them. He was a maverick. In the view of the establishment he was probably self-ordained. The Pharisees and the Saducees came after Jesus, to debate him--rather than debating WITHIN their communities.

Also, had Jesus been officially certified as a rabbi it might have been much easier for the leaders to declare him a heretic or an apostate. His authority came from God, of course. From the perspective of the leadership it was the crowds they could not ignore.

"Rabbi" means teacher, and Jesus clearly was that. He had followers. However, his disciples were handpicked by him, and the crowds mostly followed to see miracles and watch him out debate the teachers of the law.

All this seems awfully thin gruel for saying Jesus had to be married because he was a rabbi.