Concealed carry firearms

bytor2112

For me, brand loyalty is good and all, but when I shop for a gun I focus on the caliber I want first, then look at four or five manufacturers options in that caliber. I'll then settle on the style I want, semi-auto, revolver, etc. For rifles I love a good lever-action, but bolt-action is preferred for hunting. In this way, I can do a lot of research on my own before going out to a gun shop or gun show. When I'm at that point, I generally know what I'm looking for and can maximize the time spent.

For the gun itself, the regular items have to be right, balance, overall weight, trigger pull, trigger pull length, etc. By that time I'm usually down to two or three options, at which point I allow myself to look at the options such as integrated laser, and so on.

I used to have a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Redhawk .44 mag that was an excellent firearm. I wish I still had it. I also had a US-made Makarov 9mm x 18 that was a fun gun to own and shoot. Right now I have a .22 pack rifle that seems to come from the 50's or 60's, but I'm not sure. It needs work, so I don't shoot it often. Gotta get another self-defense gun though. I had a Ruger GP-101 spurless .357 that was great but it had to be sold as well. As I said...gotta get shopping ;)

For years, I carried a Ruger p-90 .45, and thought it was much better than the old 1911 A-1, which were hand killers. Now, I have a .38 special revolver, and have to say the first shot is really accurate. On subsequent shots, it either has to be cocked again, or accuracy is compromised.

One thing about the .45 ACP is it will absolutely set a close assailant on his back side, but it will not penetrate a car door. And, there is no recocking, so I think the accuracy is better.

So far, I have avoided the 9mm because they seem like a pea shooter to me. I am not speaking as a gun expert, I just use them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years, I carried a Ruger p-90 .45, and thought it was much better than the old 1911 A-1, which were hand killers.

Try a steel-frame 1911 with good Hogue wraparound grips. If it's still too pushy for you, get a EGW firing pin stop and just barely radius the bottom edge enough that it won't tear up the hammer. It sounds crazy, but that little mod makes the gun quite a bit more accurate for fast follow-on shots because it causes more snap and less push at the very start of the slide movement.

Try a steel-frame 1911 with good Hogue wraparound grips. If it's still too pushy for you, get a EGW firing pin stop and just barely radius the bottom edge enough that it won't tear up the hammer. It sounds crazy, but that little mod makes the gun quite a bit more accurate for fast follow-on shots because it causes more snap and less push at the very start of the slide movement.

I prefer to do it on the first shot, but we all know about preferences.

One thing about the .45 ACP is it will absolutely set a close assailant on his back side, but it will not penetrate a car door.

I've heard that, but never understood it. I've seen them zip right through car doors myself.

In any event, a 9mm+p, a .40, and a .45 all have similar power. 40 years ago, with poor bullets, diameter mattered. Today, with vastly better bullets, it doesn't, they're all quite equal.

Likewise, 40 years ago, your selection of good, high quality pistols was highly limited. These days, there are so many good ones that the hardest part is just picking your preference.

The type of bullet is more likely to determine car door penetration, not the caliber (at least in the larger calibers we have been discussing.)

I don't know of any semi-automatic pistols that must be manually cocked after each shot either.

Our office has had shootings where .45 rounds have failed to kill the suspect, including one where the bullet bounced off the skull. Same with the 9mm. Both calibers have also killed the assailants. We use a high quality tactical round from Federal as our duty ammo, so the ammo wasn't the cause of either "bouncing" incident.

The type of bullet is more likely to determine car door penetration, not the caliber (at least in the larger calibers we have been discussing.)

I don't know of any semi-automatic pistols that must be manually cocked after each shot either.

Our office has had shootings where .45 rounds have failed to kill the suspect, including one where the bullet bounced off the skull. Same with the 9mm. Both calibers have also killed the assailants. We use a high quality tactical round from Federal as our duty ammo, so the ammo wasn't the cause of either "bouncing" incident.

Um, well don't want to sound silly, but isn't center of mass a better target than a head?

I suppose I did not write plainly. When I was writing about having to **** after each shot, I was talking my a revolver, which I have now. It will shoot without cocking but the hard pull makes me less accurate.

In time, I will likely return to a Ruger p-90 .45. Not really in that business on the street any more. The desk seems much safer, unless I spill my water. :)

Don't buy anything until you become more familiar with firearms, and have had some serious training.:o

Many private ranges have guns you can rent, offer some training, and you can shoot a lot. Some have informal competitions and this allows you to greatly improve your gun handling skills.

Guns are very personal and I couldn't tell which to buy unless I personally see how comfortable you are with various sizes, types of actions etc etc.

In general, semi-autos are more problematic from a safety standpoint than revolvers. But for many people are more comfortable and easier to shoot.

I could go on, but re-read my first sentence.:D

Edited by mrmarklin

I posted the above before I read the whole thread.:eek:

SIGs rule...............everyone knows that!:D

My personal preference for CCW is my SIG p239 in 9mm. I use a "tactical" load, FWIW.:cool:

Oh yeah, I use a Mitch Rosen holster that mounts between the waisband and belt of my trousers. Mitch Rosen Gunleather

Edited by mrmarklin

I find it sadly ironic that most Americans seem to think having guns is necessary to fight a corrupt government, when its a democratic republic, meaning that if it was democratic at all, there should be a less chance at total corruption. I wonder why the NRA is busy lobbying to elect themselves year after year. Oh thats right, it must be because their members really care about you, while reminding you that they have a gun stuck in their pants because danger is everywhere.

Gatling invented the machine gun because he thought it would cause less casualties as he thought it would take less people to operate them. We know where that idea got us.

I find it sadly ironic that most Americans seem to think having guns is necessary to fight a corrupt government, when its a democratic republic, meaning that if it was democratic at all, there should be a less chance at total corruption. I wonder why the NRA is busy lobbying to elect themselves year after year. Oh thats right, it must be because their members really care about you, while reminding you that they have a gun stuck in their pants because danger is everywhere.

Gatling invented the machine gun because he thought it would cause less casualties as he thought it would take less people to operate them. We know where that idea got us.

I find that it is very naive to think that just because you have a democratic republic that the people will always have control of the government. At lot that did to the Philippines in 1972.

Yes, we know where that idea got us - compare today's war casualties with the regular war of the Roman Empire back in their heyday.

Guns do not kill people. People kill people.

Hold on, you are correct in that aspect that the Roman Empire killed more. It had about 700 years to kill people. Machine guns are only about 150 years old.

Thats beside the point. Defend all you wish, but the fact remains, a child can kill 60 people within minutes, which is not possible without the gun.

I am for control because I don't trust people, unless they are properly trained and 99% of the gun owners are not. Arguing with Americans about control is like trying to take a blankey from a child.

Guns are a force multiplier, they are as much a part of the equation as people are, if either go unchecked negative trends tend to happen.

Anything that reduces the number of guns or slows the induction of guns into the system i can't say no to as that will improve things... However I cannot also say no to the right to be able to defend oneself. The hard part is finding a good balance between those two points.