How did you feel about your kids going on Mission ?

BadWolf

I've got a few years to get used to the idea... But quite frankly it freaks me out. I'm not against it by any means, but this was also not something that was ever on my radar. Like. Ever. Even modern battlefield deployments get more than 2 calls per year (and yes, I can see the wisdom in transitioning into manhood)... Oy.

I'm reeeeally grateful I have time to shove my stomach out of my throat / maybe even get excited (gulp, cringe, maybe!) but it scares the daylights out of me.

Thoughts? Experience?

Culture shock just sneaks up and hamstrings me from time to time.

I am looking forward to my oldest now going on a mission in 7 years now. He will be a great missionary. I am a little more concerned about my daughters, I must admit.

My little girl will now probably choose to serve a mission, and we would now guide her in that direction, however, this thought as you would say "freaks me out."

So far, I've had two children, a son and a daughter, serve missions. My youngest son, 18, is now preparing to go. I love having missionaries out in the field. Maybe, because I am a return missionary I didn't worry about them too much. And I'm looking forward to my youngest going. I also had two sons who didn't serve missions. They're wonderful men, (they're both married now), but I think a mission would have helped their spirituality a great deal. For me, because my mission experience really was one of the best years of my life, I feel sad for my children who didn't serve. They missed out on some wonderful opportunities to learn to sacrifice and love their investigators, companions, etc.

Certainly, I missed my children while they were serving their missions, but I knew those two years would be over before we knew it. And the time really did fly by. I didn't worry much about their safety. I knew they were doing the Lord's work, and they would be protected.

I don't have children yet (wait about a month for that), but I served. My mom was, I think, rather nervous about me leaving, especially since I went to Russia. I was excited. She was, too, but I had never left home. My dad did serve, and so I think his emotions were tempered by knowing exactly what I was going to do.

My sister might go. I am excited for her.

Wow! Okay,Im not the only nervous one!! Especially after the ages were lowered at conference, and how giddy everyone here seems to be (even other new folk, with kids older than mine)... I figured I'm probably not the ONLY freaked out parent in the church, but maybe one of, say, 3.

It's really great to hear the positive exp & excitement as well. Unbelievably good. I rationalized that I enlisted at 17 (and playing with explosives is probably NOT on the mission approved list + rather a lot more supervision and accountability on mission than military life... So I'll have less -in theory- to worry about with my son than my parents did with me ; ) ... It's just so far out of my realm of 'normal expectations' (what id loosely outlined... grad, college, may e a gap year, etc.) for my son up until this point... That it all seems a bit surreal!

So far, I've had two children, a son and a daughter, serve missions. My youngest son, 18, is now preparing to go. I love having missionaries out in the field. Maybe, because I am a return missionary I didn't worry about them too much. And I'm looking forward to my youngest going. I also had two sons who didn't serve missions. They're wonderful men, (they're both married now), but I think a mission would have helped their spirituality a great deal. For me, because my mission experience really was one of the best years of my life, I feel sad for my children who didn't serve. They missed out on some wonderful opportunities to learn to sacrifice and love their investigators, companions, etc.

Certainly, I missed my children while they were serving their missions, but I knew those two years would be over before we knew it. And the time really did fly by. I didn't worry much about their safety. I knew they were doing the Lord's work, and they would be protected.

Ditto. I can't figure out what there is to be freaked out about.

I've got a few years to get used to the idea... But quite frankly it freaks me out. I'm not against it by any means, but this was also not something that was ever on my radar. Like. Ever. Even modern battlefield deployments get more than 2 calls per year (and yes, I can see the wisdom in transitioning into manhood)... Oy.

I'm reeeeally grateful I have time to shove my stomach out of my throat / maybe even get excited (gulp, cringe, maybe!) but it scares the daylights out of me.

Thoughts? Experience?

Culture shock just sneaks up and hamstrings me from time to time.

It's not easy. But it's a wonderful thing. In some ways, the parents have to man up more than the missionary.

I can't wait!!

I'm going to miss them, especially my oldest, we're very close and a year and a half is a long time, but I'm excited to see her go off & serve and see some of this world. 5 more years til our first missionaries will be off...

The way our children's ages work, some of them may not see each other for 4 years or more. My oldest daughter & son could potentially be serving at the same time with the new age changes, and while they are off, the next 2 will be getting ready to go, our ten kids are all about a year apart. I'm concerned what a 4 year separation will do to their very close relationship with one another, but excited at the same time, I wonder where they'll be called?

I've put more thought than I would have into my four daughters serving missions. I kind of regret not having the opportunity myself, though I'm glad I didn't because I would have missed out on a great man. :) I hope they get the chance to serve and grow that way before having their own families, unless they meet someone wonderful like their father before they go.

I'm excited for my son to go when he's 18, and that he and his twin sister could be out in the field at the same time. Hubby better hurry up and get us rich. Five possible missions and 4 weddings. Eek.

We're on our second boy missionary right now. The blessings of having a missionary out are undeniable. I've felt a bit different with each one. The first one was so independent (had already completed his first year at BYU) and had gone out and bought his own supplies and clothes while in Provo. Good thing cause there wouldn't have been the same deals in MN where we lived at the time. I had no worries about him at all which was good because I had me to worry about. I wasn't a natural at being the missionary mom. He didn't even get any mail from us the whole time he was in the MTC. (3 weeks). I was waiting for something- I don't know what, someone to tell me when to write or some signal it was time. I also got confused on the "myldsemail" thing and thought if I used that system it would go to his mission rather than the MTC. He was one of the first drop and roll at the curb groups when entering the MTC (right after the H1N1 fiasco) so they really didn't give parents much instruction. I felt so guilty when I found out how lonely and discouraged he was in the MTC. I have more than made up for it since then. (in fact he got three emails from me today at school. )

Second son was a different story because he's a different kid. He needed a little more of a nudge, more help getting ready and has some physical things we had to take care of before he could go. He's also had some medical issues out in the field there I've had to deal with and have talked to his mission mom several times. He's not as independent and self motivated. But it's good he was the second one to go because by then, I was used to the whole missionary mom thing and not as stressed. His personal growth has been phenomenal. He is a great missionary- just different from his older brother.

The girls...one could go in 15 months. She has expressed interest in the past, but since the announcement she hasn't said as much. I think the reality of it is staring her in the face and she's not sure what will happen. She does know she wants to do a full year of college first. Three more girls after her. I'm pretty sure at least one of them will go. It would be great if they did but I'm not pushing. It's completely their decision. I"m not worried about them at all since I served a mission myself. The sisters are very well protected- at least we were in my mission in Argentina.

Edited by carlimac

I loved my mission. I served with a companion for whom it nearly resulted in his death. I have seen them be "The best two years" for many young people in the church, and the worst two years for others. For that reason alone, I want my daughters or son to choose to serve a mission because it is their choice. Not because it is what I want or don't want, or because it is what a GF/BF wants or doesn't, or because of guilt piled on by leaders.

If they want to go, then I will support and back them 100%. They will have my love, encouragement and support. If they choose not to go and focus on education or career, then they will likewise have my love, encouragement and support.

-RM

...I didn't worry much about their safety. I knew they were doing the Lord's work, and they would be protected.

...I"m not worried about them at all since I served a mission myself. The sisters are very well protected- at least we were in my mission in Argentina.

...I served with a companion for whom it nearly resulted in his death. I have seen them be "The best two years" for many young people in the church, and the worst two years for others....

I don't want to cause unnecessary grief but it is a reality that some missionaries do not return from their missions due to death. Car accidents, carbon monoxide poisoning, are some examples of sad events that have happened to LDS missionaries; reported on this very forum. My own MIL had a heart attack six months into her mission. So I can see how it can be scary for a parent. All you can do is pray for their safety and hope that they do come home safe and sound.

M.

I don't want to cause unnecessary grief but it is a reality that some missionaries do not return from their missions due to death. Car accidents, carbon monoxide poisoning, are some examples of sad events that have happened to LDS missionaries; reported on this very forum. My own MIL had a heart attack six months into her mission. So I can see how it can be scary for a parent. All you can do is pray for their safety and hope that they do come home safe and sound.

M.

There were several times out on my mission where I knew I was in a dangerous situation. I knew I was protected on several different occasions. But, I also knew that if something should happen where I was to die, I was doing the Lord's work, and closer to the Lord than any other time of my life. I'm thinking that as long as I was being a faithful missionary, that if I did die, that's the best time to go.

I understand full well that things happen out in the mission field that might mean death to a missionary. But, death could happen at any time, even if not as a missionary. (I had a 19 year old daughter die in a car accident). I would find comfort knowing my son/daughter was in the service of the Lord if it did happen while on their mission.

Edited by classylady

M.

Those things can also happen while a child is at school, on a date, or asleep. I guess that's my perspective: I don't see how a mission poses any greater risk than everyday life does, barring specifically serving in dangerous areas.