Is 12 years old too old to be trick or treating?

Carl62

In the neighborhood I grew up in in San Diego we used to get so many trick or treaters we had to really plan for the amount of candy we purchased.

I grew up about 5 miles from Tijuana. We would get van loads of people coming up from Tijuana. From babies to seniors. No one was ever turned away.

Fall festival/Trunk or Treat would be ok, Going out extorting people for candy door to door -- its too old.

It's not extortion if you're handing candy at your own house as well. It's just one big spirit-of-giving cycle.

Yes, we did this... the kids would go down the street with a pillowcase and their halloween baskets. They would get so much candy they fill up their baskets, so they pour it into the pillowcase and one of them would run it back to the house. We would then take out the stuff that I know the kids really like and I pour the rest back in the candy bowl for the trick-or-treaters... ;)

I trick or treated till I was 16 after that too many people told me I was to old and wouldnt give me candy anymore so I stopped. I remember going out as soon as possible and staying out as late as possible amassing like 6-8 pillowcases full of candy by time we finished.

We would bring extra masks and capes with us so when we found a good house we would switch costumes and masks and stuff and hit it over and over till they realized it was the same kids lol.

As soon as I had kids tho was back on the beat snagging candy again. I dont have a sweet tooth now and once you figure out its easier just go to the store and buy a bag of whatever candy you want it loses its excitement but the kids love it and I still remember the fun I had brings back memories.

IWe would bring extra masks and capes with us so when we found a good house we would switch costumes and masks and stuff and hit it over and over till they realized it was the same kids lol.

What a tricker you were to get treats.

Hidden

Could you expand a bit on what you'd expect the reprocussions to be of, oh, say, participating in such an evil practice, yearly, for 42 years?

For one thing, they end up posting on internet-based discussion lists.

Guest SquidMom

12 is definately not too old. Especially if they are out with younger siblings. Someone's got to show them the ropes, right? On another note, as far as it being an evil practice, it never was. Dressing up in scary masks was supposed to keep the demons AWAY. Obviously we don't still think that demons actually come out on halloween. It's all done in good fun. No harm is done in enjoying an old tradition like this.

I do remember something we did one year when I was in youg women's. Instead of trick or treating, we all dressed up in our Sunday best and went Christmas caroling. It was a small community, so most of the people knew who we were. When we were done they offered us candy, but we didn't take it. It was appreciated by the community, especially the older folks. Some even shed tears at the gesture. It was very fulfilling to stand out in such a way.

My parents set an age limit for my brother and I at 12, or when we started middle school, whichever came first. As far as teenagers, I don't mind it as long as they actually have a costume. Sometimes if I see that people have their dog in a costume with them, I give the dog a little treat as well.

In my city, trick or treating is still a huge tradition, even if Halloween itself falls on Sunday.

Last time I went trick or treating, I was 17 years old. I didn't dress up. When people asked what I was supposed to be, I said I'm a 17 year old boy TRICK OR TREAT and they dished out the candy. Not sure why they call it trick or treating though. I've only ever been treated and never tricked.