PDA at church

Tricia87

We recently had a rather heated discussion on public displays of affection at church in RS. I've never thought it to be a problem but a few sisters thought even giving a spouse s back rub during sacrament was inappropriate and offensive. I often give my hubby a quick kiss before going to class and have seen others do the same.

Thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the title of the thread and thought "Yes, I use my PDA all the time at church... it holds my scriptures, calendar, ward list and all my manuals." Of course we don't call them PDAs anymore, but "smartphones". :)

I guess PDA only has one meaning now. :P

I got my husband a PDA for Christmas probably 8 or 9 years ago. I remember how one older lady would give him dirty looks during church, probably thinking he was playing video games. I wonder what she thinks now when everyone pulls out their phones and tablets. :) At least more people have manuals and scriptures on hand!

I've never thought it to be a problem but a few sisters thought even giving a spouse s back rub during sacrament was inappropriate and offensive.

I agree that it's inappropriate. I don't necessarily think it's offensive, but it's uncomfortable and distracting.

We recently had a rather heated discussion on public displays of affection at church in RS. I've never thought it to be a problem but a few sisters thought even giving a spouse s back rub during sacrament was inappropriate and offensive. I often give my hubby a quick kiss before going to class and have seen others do the same.

Thoughts?

I don't think I've ever seen a display of affection at Church that was inappropriate. I suppose if people are making out in the pews there is an issue, but something like a quick kiss, hug, some back scratching, or a chaste back rub? I'm curious why they find it so objectionable. Particularly the last one, are they seeing it as some sort of foreplay?

Edited by Dravin

I don't think I've ever seen a display of affection at Church that was inappropriate. I suppose if people are making out in the pews there is an issue, but something like a quick kiss, hug, some back scratching, or a chaste back rub? I'm curious why they find it so objectionable. Particularly the last one, are they seeing it as some sort of foreplay?

it was argued that it shows a poor example to our youth and that basically this behavior should remain in the bedroom. Thankfully the majority brushed it off as being ridiculous. I have never felt distracted by someone in front of me giving a backrub.

it was argued that it shows a poor example to our youth and that basically this behavior should remain in the bedroom. Thankfully the majority brushed it off as being ridiculous. I have never felt distracted by someone in front of me giving a backrub.

Okay, then they are looking on it as foreplay. My position: They're whacked.

Make sure you don't look your spouse directly in the eye at church either, lest anyone think you like each other. Holding hands should be avoided at all costs. It's church, not a brothel.

Make sure you don't look your spouse directly in the eye at church either, lest anyone think you like each other. Holding hands should be avoided at all costs. It's church, not a brothel.

And what about all those wards which have a culture of greeting with hugs? It's downright adulterous and homosexual!

Guest LiterateParakeet

I've never thought it to be a problem but a few sisters thought even giving a spouse s back rub during sacrament was inappropriate and offensive.

LOL, if you think that was bad, ask a group of LDS people what they think about kniitting at church and then stand back and watch the fur fly! I have seen it a couple times on the Net and it is not pretty.

For the record, I often give my hubby a quick kiss at church, back rubs don't bother me....and I knit at church...Horrors! LOL!

LOL, if you think that was bad, ask a group of LDS people what they think about kniitting at church and then stand back and watch the fur fly! I have seen it a couple times on the Net and it is not pretty.

For the record, I often give my hubby a quick kiss at church, back rubs don't bother me....and I knit at church...Horrors! LOL!

Knitting? Gasp! I'm afraid that would be my mother's reaction. She looks at knitting as "work", and of course one shouldn't work on Sunday, especially in full view at Church. lol

I gotta tell you guys, when I first started going to church, I was a little freaked out. Everybody is rubbing each other's backs, kissing the kids, holding hands. I'm like, 'Did these people just come back from a work trip or separate vacations or something? Why are they so physical with each other - in church?' A kid gets up to speak, returns to his seat and gets a back rub. Dad plays the organ, comes back to his seat and gets a back rub. Bizarre.

I went to Catholic church not only on Sunday but every Wednesday and on Friday's during Lent for 8 years and then church on Sunday for many more years after that. I have never seen a 'PDA' (I thought you were going to talk about computers) in church before.

Now I just accept it as a 'Mormon thing' and I'm happy that the brothers and sisters in the ward like each other so much instead of the other way around!

Well, I am thinking these Sisters need to relax a little bit. I remember growing up and leaning forward and my mother, or brother, or sister would start scratching my back.

Now, if a person were to stand up, from the pew behind and start rubbing some shoulders while the individual begins to make some noise like, "Ah that feels good. A little bit to the left please -- ah -- right there."

Yes, this would be inappropriate. I don't even mind a small kiss of spouses, especially love seeing young newly weds all snuggly and then he/she kisses the other on the cheek, because I think, "Ya, enjoy that snuggling while you can because when children come it may be a little more difficult to snuggle while your two year old thinks he needs to sit right in-between the both of you."

Now, if I saw a young, middle-age, or a senior couple turn toward each other and lock lips, soul kiss, or a more than just a little peck, well - I am thinking, "Please get a room, preferably not one in the Church."

Sometimes, those of us who have been married for some time, need to be reminded by the young newlyweds, it is ok to snuggle in church, and give a little peck on the cheek.

When my wife and I, when newlyweds, I pinched her buttox after sacrament and then kinda blushed when I realized the two teenage girls looked at me with thoughts, "Did you really pinch her buttox?" LOL

EDIT: Now for the self-righteous comment because one needs to be made ;) - I don't really pay attention to what other families are doing, rubbing backs, whispering, I came to church to listen and feel the spirit - not watch other members and judge them. ;) ;) -

Edited by Anddenex

I'm glad most people here aren't offended by little shows of affection. My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years, have two small children and we are very affectionate towards each other. We are usually holding hands during sacrament and I will often scratch his back or lay my head on his shoulder. We give each other a small peck on the lips before we separate after sacrament too. There is nothing sexual about it.

We are very affectionate with our babies too. I think I kiss the tops of their heads literally hundreds of times during the day. When they were tiny babies I used to worry that I'd wear the hair off their heads.:)

This is so funny! I think it may be a matter of perspective, as well. My family usually sits in the overflow area because Gwen thinks she's a banshee monkey when it's nap time, so it's easier to take her out into the hall. Last week we sat in the middle of the chapel to get ready for the earlier meeting time change this year and omgoish I could not believe all the touching around me. It was like everyone was leaning against each other or rubbing backs or children sitting on laps or whispering. You just don't see all of this from the back for some reason. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just different :D