Conceal-carry permit frenzy

NeuroTypical

Well you just said pitbulls are owned by bad people - dog fighters! Again, not all pitpull owners are bad, but it's a good indicator.

Put an external safety on those Glocks and I'll be happy. I think having guns with no slide safeties is horrendous and the U.S. congress should have hearings and stop the sale of all guns that do not have external safeties.

Well if you want to carry a loaded GLOCK with a round in a chamber go right ahead, just don't carry in public and don't carry around kids and don't carry around me.

If I'm carrying any kind of handgun for my own personal protection, you'll never know it's even there until it needs to be used. I guarantee you've been around a 'deadly glock' far more often than your'e likely to be comfortable knowing.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos from gun fans and reading some gun forums. It seems it's a popular idea to carry their guns "loaded" with one in the firing chamber. The general consensus seems to be if you don't have one in the chamber then your gun is useless.

In a situation where time is crucial the more steps required to make a weapon able to fire is something to be considered. It's a trade off between how quickly the weapon can be used and safety, though one needs to consider just how much having one in the chamber is affecting safety as it varies per gun.

If I have my gun disassembled in a safe and the ammunition in another safe my gun is extremely safe but it is also rather removed from being able to fire, enough so that expecting to be able to use it in a time sensitive situation is a delusion. On the other side of the equation a gun held at the ready, chambered round, safety off, and finger on the trigger can be fired extremely quickly in a time sensitive situation, but expecting that to be a safe way to carry around your gun is also a delusion. A balance needs to be struck, keeping one in the chamber, gun in your holster, with the safety features enabled is, for a lot of people, seen as a good compromise between those extremes.

Also why do you have loaded scare quoted?

Edited by Dravin

Interesting report but nothing I didn't really already know. Well, didn't know they had to shoot so many dogs. But I did know owning a pit bull is good indicator you are a bad person.

Anyway, those Glocks are dangerous, this report is proof.

I'm a 23 year old girl who concealed carries. I grew up in a house full of guns and was taught at a very young age how and when to use them. I also grew up in a home full of rottweilers and pit bulls. I guess I better go call my family and tell them we should probably meet with our bishops and turn over our temple recommends because our guns and dogs clearly indicate we are bad people...

I'm a 23 year old girl who concealed carries. I grew up in a house full of guns and was taught at a very young age how and when to use them. I also grew up in a home full of rottweilers and pit bulls. I guess I better go call my family and tell them we should probably meet with our bishops and turn over our temple recommends because our guns and dogs clearly indicate we are bad people...

You sound all right to me. :)

I also grew up in a home full of rottweilers and pit bulls.

How cool is that. When I was dating my wife, she took me to the kennel where she worked, and made me lie down on the concrete in the middle of the large empty training arena. I had no clue why - she would only say "trust me". So I did. She went out one door for a minute, and then opened the door and ushered some things through. Six brand new Rottweiler puppies. They went bouncing through the door looking around for something fun, and saw me lying there twenty feet away. Before I knew it, they were all on top of me, under me, everywhere. Never before or since have I ever made six of God's creatures so excited and happy just by lying on the floor with a dumb look on my face.

Hoosierguy often misses out on some of life's pleasures by holding some of the opinions he holds. Don't sweat it.

If anyone ever watches the Dog Whisperer you would be familiar with Daddy. I am so in love with Daddy, Cesar's pit bull. Daddy died a couple of years ago, and I miss that dog, as if he were a part of my life. He had to have been the gentlest and calmest dog I have ever seen. Even when another dog attacked him, he would bite back, but then pull away as if to say, "Dude, you need to calm down!" Loved that dog.

It is possible for people to screw up a pitbull and make them dangerous. This can happen with any breed of dog. Putbulls do have incredibly powerful jaws and a fierce bite, so a screwed-up dangerous pitbull can do more damage than screwed-up dangerous dogs of other breeds.

My wife will often recommend a well-socialized pitbull to, oh say, a loving family with a strong child with poor impulse control. Because pits are so very tough, they can really enjoy a lot of poking and ear pulling and whacking and whatnot.

The notion that the family pitbull will be sitting there playing with a kid, and then snap and kill the kid, is pretty much an urban legend.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

OK, serious question:

A MotherJones.com article I read this evening refers to this 1998 study which indicates that for every time someone is shot by a gun in self-defense four people are shot accidentally, seven in a criminal assault/homicide, and eleven in suicide attempts.

Now, I realize that this study doesn't include instances of defensive gun brandishing. But still - any thoughts from the pro-gun forum members?

1. It's a small-scale survey of unrepresentative sample jurisdictions.

2. As you mentioned, it understates defensive uses, counting only those in which criminals are killed or injured.

3. Kellermann gets a different "times more likely" number every time he publishes a study. It was 22 times more likely, then 43 times more likely, then again 18 times more likely.

4. The study looked only at homes where a firearm death occurred. Kind of like a study of vehicle fatalaties that "discovered" people killed are 50 times more likely to be from families that owned one or more cars.

Here is a response to the methodology of one of his earlier studies, which apparently also make it into his 1998 study. Lots of links there too.

OK, serious question:

A MotherJones.com article I read this evening refers to this 1998 study which indicates that for every time someone is shot by a gun in self-defense four people are shot accidentally, seven in a criminal assault/homicide, and eleven in suicide attempts.

Now, I realize that this study doesn't include instances of defensive gun brandishing. But still - any thoughts from the pro-gun forum members?

Haven't read that particular one, but MotherJones isn't known for truthfulness. They've been caught out in a lot of bald faced lies. One of their "studies" reported that people who went out and bought a gun were more likely to have a home invasion. Then someone else showed the same correlation with people who went out and bought an alarm system. In other words, both groups had reason to fear a home invasion, so they took precautions. In many the home invasion happened.

Haven't read that particular one, but MotherJones isn't known for truthfulness.

Understood; in fact, the article that linked to the study itself had some major howlers. But the study itself seemed a little more solid, being on the NIH website and all . . .

LM, thanks again for the response.

Actor Sylvester Stallone, star of five action-packed 'Rambo' movies, indicated on Friday that he would support a new federal assault weapons ban to curb gun violence in America,...

I saw Stallone's latest movie preview "Bullet to the Head." It looks as if it Stallone wants to add more laws to restrict our guns for self defense but he glorifies murder and violence in artwork he does.

Watch the preview and tell me otherwise:

Never placed any trust in "movie stars" who make claims we should all follow and then they don't.

One that comes to mind is Tom Cruise. Made a movie about car racing "Thunder something" while telling us all we should conserve fuel and not be wasteful.

Like others who promote green living and live in mega mansions and fly private jets.

Ben Raines

So I just bought my first semi-automatic handgun. A Sig Sauer SP 2022, 9mm. And - no external safety! lol. But it is single/double action and that double action is a form of safety. So I say it's far safer than those Glocks with no external safety.

As for my trip to Plainfield Indiana to a gun shop I've never visited before - wow. It was sort of small but it was jammed packed! It was in a two store strip mall next to a hair dresser. The small parking lot was packed with cars and trucks and no one was walking in to get their hair done. lol. Everyone was walking into the gun store.

The owner and workers were sort of rude/dumb/nutty/trashy but the young man who helped me was very very nice. When I was doing the paper work two pretty women were doing paperwork to get some revolvers. I thought "wow", pretty women getting guns? Crazy!

Anyway, I have the handgun used by the French police = Inspector Clouseau. lol.

Darn debit card would not work at the gun store either. Had to drive on Ronald Reagan Parkway (gag me with a spoon!) to go to a bank in Avon, get money, then go back. Headache.

Anyway, I think I try to find a gun safety class to take. I know how to shoot revolvers and rifles but I'm new to semi-autos and I want to take a class or two.