Can someone tell me what this means?

Guest Saint1396362409

Guest ArchangelKid

What does D.I. stand for? I heard a mother say it, and it sounded like a place where you don't want your things to go to. I tried Google but nothing comes up. Thank you.

Guest ArchangelKid

Really? That was killing me for days! That poor child picked up his toys really fast! I thought it stood for Destroy I...something. I wanted to ask the missionaries but I didn't know if it was something offensive or something. I can't believe it stood for that. Haha, I feel so silly. I know what I'm going to tell my kids when they have a mess, when I'm a dad, lol.

Growing up in my family, taking neglected toys or clothes to DI was not an empty threat. My mother would instruct us kids to pickup after ourselves and to care for our belongings, and if we didn't, she'd throw them into the car and donate them to DI or the Salvation Army.

It's a habit I'm trying to break..."All these toys on the floor...maybe we should give them to children who don't have?" Very bad...like telling little children that if they don't behave the police will get them. Yikes...the police are there friends, and we should give to children who don't have.

It's a habit I'm trying to break..."All these toys on the floor...maybe we should give them to children who don't have?" Very bad...like telling little children that if they don't behave the police will get them. Yikes...the police are there friends, and we should give to children who don't have.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Obviously, measures must be aged appropriate. My mother did not use this method on us as little tykes but as teenagers, yup, she sure did - and it was effective! I will do the same with my daughter. If she cannot maintain her things, they will be donated to someone else.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Obviously, measures must be aged appropriate. My mother did not use this method on us as little tykes but as teenagers, yup, she sure did - and it was effective! I will do the same with my daughter. If she cannot maintain her things, they will be donated to someone else.

Do not tell your little children

that if they don't behave the police will get them

that is so inappropriate. If they turn into dirtbag teenagers then feel free to tell them that. I have chewed out more then one parent of young kids for saying that in my presence.

I also don't think it's comparable to telling your naughty kids that the cops will get them. Really? That doesn't even make sense, and can't be followed through on. So yeh, that one IS a dumb and bad idea. My daughter will know that police officers are SAFE strangers.

Do not tell your little children

that is so inappropriate. If they turn into dirtbag teenagers then feel free to tell them that. I have chewed out more then one parent of young kids for saying that in my presence.

I have defended at least two cases in the last year where someone called 9-1-1 requesting police assistance in a domestic situation . . . and wound up getting charged themselves.

With all due respect to our boys in blue, who do the best they can with tough situations day in and day out--I'm not going to call for them unless someone is about to die.

I have defended at least two cases in the last year where someone called 9-1-1 requesting police assistance in a domestic situation . . . and wound up getting charged themselves.

With all due respect to our boys in blue, who do the best they can with tough situations day in and day out--I'm not going to call for them unless someone is about to die.

That happened to my si--ahem, someone I know! After years and years and years of abuse she finally called the police, who arrested her (leaving her 2 little boys in the hands of their abusive father) for writing a bad check. Turns out when they first got together he wrote a check on her account without her knowledge, they moved out of state, etc etc. We, her fami-*cough* friends, were so furious. It was like, once the warrant showed up, she was instantly trying to get a fine, upstanding member of society in trouble. If this ever happens again to anyone in the fami-*cough* circle of friends the police will not be needed. Excuse me, need a cough drop...

Back to topic:

I Love the D.I.!!! All my toddler's favorite Sesame Street toys have come from there :D

Good afternoon Bini. I hope you are having a good day! :)

To reiterate, it was never a method used on us as little kids.. I won't use it on my daughter until she's old enough to understand consequences.

For what it's worth: I don't feel that you need to justify anything.

Regards,

Finrock

Well I feel totally excluded from this conversation now, I'm not a dad - yet. Haha, I'll leave you parents to discuss your...um...thingy miggy's.

The Deseret Industries is more than just a place to take unwanted junk. Its a place that provides job training. It also hires people who are unemployable anywhere else. People on church financial assistance are often required to put in a few hour at the "DI".

There has been some changes in donation rules. The rule is "If its useful and in good condition, donate it". Example: A shirt donated without buttons just becomes a rag. They would prefer a shirt with buttons.

I also shop at the DI, especially for kids clothing. Little kids rarely wear out their clothes. The DI is less expensive than Kid to Kid. I've found great books at the DI. You have to watch but every once in awhile somebody will donate out of print LDS books.....sometimes even signed copies of popular books. Another good thing to get at the DI is kitchen stuff. Some of my favorite serving pieces came from the DI.

Donating to helps you get rid of your junk and shopping at the DI helps you pick up cool stuff cheap...... and the biggest benefit - Somebody gets a job or job training. Win/Win!

Mrs Traveler would give our children time to clean their toys or room. The things that were left out - then she would clean up and all the things left out would be placed in a box with the individual's name on it. The box would be placed in storage for a month but any child could earn the box back by helping mom - often by picking up another child's stuff to go in a box for storage or by doing "extra" chores.

There were some rather interesting results - often one kid would volunteer to help mom - with the intent of getting even with a sibling for previously helping mom store their stuff. Not only did this work great with little kids and toys but it worked supper with teenagers and their clothing and other stuff.

The one draw back is that from time to time some of my stuff disappears for about a month :confused:

The Traveler

Thought I would add something to the above post. This started with all our children at about age 1. Often there would be several boxes for one child. BTW Mrs. Traveler would also put the date on the box - so when a kid wanted something they would earn back the oldest box in their name - but they would never know what was in it. If what they wanted was not in the box then Mrs. Traveler would just say, "Hmmmmm there must be another box with your name on it"

The kids also learned not to argue with mom because doing so meant that the "helping mom list" would just get longer.

My wife also would allow the children to earn "Traveler dollars". In essence this was play money that could be exchanged for all kinds of things during family activities and vacations. Sometimes even when we had the kids with us shopping and they would ask for a treat or candy bar - we would just ask if they had "Traveler dollars" to cash in. This did two things - one: we never had much trouble getting our kids to help. two: seldom did our kids whine about stuff they wanted.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Giving things to the D.I. is also a great tax write off. This means one can write the value of the items out of thier taxable income. lol. So next time Mom says she will donate your stuff if you don't pick it up. Tell her the time to gather+ gas to deliver doesn't equate to a big enough tax credit . That would be fiscally irresponsable.jk,jk. don't do that you may get grounded. Just pick up your clutter moms work hard enough lol.