Going to the gym on a Sunday

German_LDS

Hi there,

I'm looking for some answers about how other church members spend the Sabbath day when it comes to personal activity, namely taking care of the temple that is your body.

I never went to the gym on a Sunday, at least not since I have been baptized a few years ago. I'm familiar with the general recommendations of the scriptures and the prophets about keeping the Lord's Day.

However I'm asking myself whether or not it would be an appropriate activity to go to the gym on a Sunday (after church of course). Surely it would not be spiritually uplifting but rather physically uplifting. However taking good care of our body is a command from God.

We cleanse our bodies on a Sunday, we eat and drink, prepare meals and so on - all things that are aimed to sustain and maintain our body and health. Surely we shouldn't' work on a Sunday. We shouldn't focus too much on worldly things on a Sunday but rather reflect on godly things.

So do you think it would be inappropriate to go to the gym to work out? Of course i know that is ultimately something that I will have to decide for myself and it is something between my Heavenly Father and me. But I appreciate your thoughts about this issue.

Guest LiterateParakeet

As you said, it is ultimately your decision, but since you did ask for opinions...my opinion is no. Not appropriate for two reasons...first we are not supposed to make other people work on the Sabbath, if you go to the gym that means gym employees have to be there. Second, the Sabbath is a day of rest, a day to do things that help us feel closer to God. Going to the gym doesn't fit in :) That's my two cents. Good luck with your decisio!

I choose not to. I see it as similar to shopping on the Sabbath unnecessarily. My view is that if you feel your body needs the exercise on Sunday, try to do something that does not require an employee of a business to work also. Go outside and take a brisk walk or jog, or buy some basic exercise equipment that you can use at home on the Sabbath.

The Sabbath is a day of rest, when we rest from our normal activities. True, we still breathe and (sometimes) eat and drink, but these are life-sustaining activities. Working out at a gym falls somewhere closer to a recreational activity. I do not have a gym membership, but if I did, I expect I would not go on Sunday.

I believe that the Sabbath should be a day dedicated to doing the L-rd's work. For example, Sunday is a good day to visit the sick or those that need comfort - or if there is nothing else - do your home teaching.

The Traveler

I do have a gym membership and have considered going on Sundays. I haven't yet because it doesn't feel quite right to me. I feel its more appropriate to do a nice gentle yoga session at home for exercise-on-a-Sunday. I wouldn't think twice if a ward member mentioned they did go on a Sunday, but for me I doubt it will ever happen. I can see the argument about taking care of our bodies, but I don't want to be the one responsible for keeping my gym open on a Sunday.

We attend church, we do family activities that do not involve someone having to be employed for us to engage in the activity, we watch TV, we play games together. We don't shop, we don't go to concerts, we don't go to the movie theater etc. I exercise 6 days a week, but not on Sunday. The only "normal" activity that occurs in our family is when I go to work. I work graveyards and my shift starts at 8 p.m.

Thank you so much for all your opinions about this subject. They will definitely help me making my own decision.

Being responsible for keeping the gym open on a Sunday and forcing other people to work there on a Sabbath is certainly the strongest argument against going there.

Thanks again for your thoughts! If anybody else wants to share something - don't hesitate. :bighug:

Is there any staff working at the gym on Sunday? if so you are violating a commandment about not making others work. The fact that they would be there any way is irrelevant.

Yes, there is some staff present at the gym. Thank you for your thoughts. I think what you mentioned is very true and very relevant for my own decision (to not go on Sundays).

Going to the gym would be a personal choice. Joe Smith held wrestling competitions after church on Sundays so why not? What's good for the prophet should be good for everyone else. As far as the "making others work on sunday" reasoning is flawed. Today most businesses are open on sunday unless you live in a small Utah town where everyone is mormon. For some Saturday is their sabbath and therefore work on Sunday so using their business on a day they don't declare as the sabbath is fine. Even without that argument church leaders are always patronizing businesses on Sunday. Many food establishments are used by church leaders on Sunday. Until Pres. Kimball made the all famous statement of "no sunday buying" it was typical mormon sunday to go out to eat at a nice place and get ice cream on Sunday. I can't tell you how many times I've been sent to pick up fast food for general authorities and stake leaders on Sunday as well as go to the hardware store once in a while.

Personal choice....

I can't tell you how many times I've been sent to pick up fast food for general authorities and stake leaders on Sunday as well as go to the hardware store once in a while.

No disrespect but for general authorities? I find that very hard to believe.

Also the use of "Joe" Smith is usually used by those that are anti to the church.

I can't tell you how many times I've been sent to pick up fast food for general authorities and stake leaders on Sunday as well as go to the hardware store once in a while.

And I can't tell you how many times I have flown to Europe by flapping my arms.

I believe it's a personal decision. Some people participate in Superbowl events on the Sabbath because it unites family and accounts for family time. Others feel that the Superbowl violates the Sabbath and take no part in it. My family occasionally enjoys pool time at the recreation centre for a couple hours on Sunday. My husband and I would take our daughter in the morning before church. The place closes at noon. During the week this particular activity doesn't happen "as a family" because my husband works long hours, even on Saturday, and so Sunday is like the perfect opportunity for us to enjoy ourselves swimming.

Well it is true especially when outside of Utah. I asked once why the relief society or a family couldn't feed them instead of going out. The rational I was told is "we don't want to have church members do any extra Sunday work". I followed up with "it's no big deal to set a few extra plates, we have plenty". I was then told "We prefer to eat KFC". Every couple of months someone was sent to KFC or Subway on Sunday to feed the visiting authorities.

Also the use of "Joe" Smith is usually used by those that are anti to the church

It is also used often in causal references within the church. I admit it depends on where you live and the LDS culture of your area. In places like the Intermountain West you wouldn't use "Joe Smith" because you might look like an "anti", other areas of the world there is nothing wrong with the shortened version of his name. Some LDS communities only use the title "Prophet" in front of his name. LDS cultures differ somewhat around the states and the world. Don't make any assumptions.

Outside of Utah it happens all the time. I asked once why the relief society or a family couldn't provide a meal for them. The rational was that they didn't want members to do any extra work on Sunday. I followed up with "we could set an extra plate and have plenty, no extra work". I was then told that they wanted KFC. Every few months someone was sent to KFC or Subway to pick up their chosen meals (on Sunday). I didn't believe it either until I was the one handed the money and ordered to go get the food.

Also the use of "Joe" Smith is usually used by those that are anti to the church.

It is also used in casual references within the church. Depends on LDS culture of where you live. In the Intermountain West you don't use the shortened version for fear you'll be labeled as "anti". Other areas in the states and worldwide there is nothing wrong with using "Joe Smith". Some LDS cultures only refer to JS when using the title "prophet" before the name. LDS culture differs somewhat around the world. Don't make any assumptions.

Never in living in 4 different states and any trips I have made (many to multiple states including Utah) would ANY Church member ever call him Joe Smith.

Having lived and worked in all 50 states, Canada, Micronesia, Japan, etc. I have heard it many times, even in sacrament meetings where reference was used to "Joe Smith". Like I said, some LDS cultures will always use the full name and think it is a sin to shorten the name. Others have no problem with the shortened name. It depends largely on your upbringing and experience. Heavily LDS populated communities are more likely to stick with the full name version for fear of "sinning". Smaller LDS populated areas not a big deal.

It is also used often in causal references within the church. I admit it depends on where you live and the LDS culture of your area.

Um, no. It is not. I have lived in many places around the US and abroad, and not one single time have I heard any faithful Saint refer to the prophet as "Joe Smith", unless it was an ironic usage imitative of anti-Mormons.

I normally respond to "Truth12"'s comments flippantly, as they merit, but comments like this one are so far gone that they need to be pointed out as the lies they are. "Truth12" is clearly an axe-grinder and pretty apparently an anti-Mormon. Why he's on this site, I don't know. But I've never understood trolls and trolling very well.

Volt..

You have your experiences and I respect that. I also have my experiences of which I am referring. Assuming that my experiences are wrong or inaccurate is disrespectful and shows a narrowness of thinking. (Unfortunately many members are narrow minded that way and it discredits the church in the real world).

My experiences are wide and varied within the church on many levels. I have not lived in the typical "LDS bubble", I have worked within many different cultures around the world and within the church and have had diverse experiences many have not. There is a culture within the church levels that "average" members have no knowledge.

Never assume that because you have no experience with something that your experience is the absolute truth.

Volt..

You have your experiences and I respect that. I also have my experiences of which I am referring. Assuming that my experiences are wrong or inaccurate is disrespectful and shows a narrowness of thinking. (Unfortunately many members are narrow minded that way and it discredits the church in the real world).

My experiences are wide and varied within the church on many levels. I have not lived in the typical "LDS bubble", I have worked within many different cultures around the world and within the church and have had diverse experiences many have not. There is a culture within the church levels that "average" members have no knowledge.

Never assume that because you have no experience with something that your experience is the absolute truth.

Your supposed experiences are laughable. It is telling that not a single person has piped up to say, "Why, yes, I have had the same experience as Truth12. It's very common for Church members in XXXXXland to refer to the Prophet as 'Joe Smith.' Happens all the time."

Your ruse ceased being funny long ago. No one believes you're a faithful Latter-day Saint who has lived AND WORKED IN ALL FIFTY STATES AND ABROAD, and in whose vast experience find that lots of the Saints casually refer to the Prophet as "Joe Smith." I assume you're just trolling for fun, but if you actually intended to deceive people with your lies, you badly overplayed your hand.