What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Good to know.  That would be a reason I wouldn't watch this movie.  I can't stand a movie that feels they have to drop the F-bomb through it.

Same here for me...

It wasn't gratuitous like most R-rated, and even PG-13 movies.  This movie has a 10-year-old as one of the main characters.  The f-bomb in PG-13 movies (which most of them have it now - including X-Men: Days of Future Past) is more in your face because it's like they are just waiting for that moment when they can say it, so they say it with emphasis like "Isn't that cool that I can say it on a PG-13 movie?"...

Anyway, there was a lot of them... about 40 according to the website... plus other profane words... all used within the flow of conversation.   My best friend is a Marine, and this movie is less annoying than attending a party at his house.  My brain skips over it so I don't even hear it unless it is gratuitous.  Well... that's a stupid thing to say, the f-bomb is, by definition, gratuitous... so that's not the right word I'm looking for... basically, my brain skips over the f-bomb in <f-bomb> pancakes but can't skip over it in <f-bomb> you because my brain still translates English to Bisaya in my head.  But, if I'm looking for the word, then I hear it.  Words like the Spanish word for milk rattles me even when I'm not looking for it - my brain can't skip over it - because I've been conditioned from when I was born that it is profane... whereas, American profanity are things I learned when I was already an adult (they don't teach profanity in English class and movies in the Philippines are bleeped).

But the sad thing really - it's a great movie that could EASILY be PG (not even PG-13) if they would've just cleaned up the dialogue... it's about a divorced father finding a relationship with his son... and eventually ended up re-marrying the mother... the mother is awesome - even when they were divorced, she still supported the father and found ways to bring him closer to his son's life which led him to a better place in his life.  The son learned some valuable lessons - even about drinking - the father gave the kid a beer, he took a sip, and the kid exclaims - it tastes like pee - and so the father took the bottle back and said - remember that when someone hands you a beer.

Growing up watching shows that had some swears and by time I was a teenager there was no censoring of my viewings. So I freely watch things with swears and I certainly swear a lot, though I very seldom write swears though I had to because, well dialog between a lot of teenagers is filled with them especially when being stalked by a supernatural forest demon.

In terms of the last movie, well I rewatched Stephen King's It, and, unlike the book I can't recall a single time that movie swore. Nor was it really violent, unlike the book...Here's the trailer reworked to make it look like a family film, I laughed.

I always listened to the music my kids listened too.....I wanted to know who was who and what was what.

I just don't like the feeling of getting lost in my conversations with the kids... plus, I don't want to ever lose that eagerness of my kids to run to me saying, "Mom, mom, mom... you gotta see this...".  When they do that, I have to go see this... because, who knows how long this phase is gonna last...

I just don't like the feeling of getting lost in my conversations with the kids... plus, I don't want to ever lose that eagerness of my kids to run to me saying, "Mom, mom, mom... you gotta see this...".  When they do that, I have to go see this... because, who knows how long this phase is gonna last...

And I just got done sitting through almost an hour of some Scottish-accented dude ramble on in rocket-science-lingo about his space program on video...

It's okay, it was worth the almost one hour to realize... my kids are nerds!  Woot!

'Crazy Love.'  Whew.  Man sees woman; man showers woman with gifts, nights on the town, etc.; woman finds out man is married with child; woman breaks it off; man hires thugs to blind woman with lye; man goes to jail for 14 years; couple gets married when man is released from jail.

True story, told by those who lived it. You think you know about domestic abuse and the psychology of the abused? Watch this one, it will freak you out.

On a shallow note - the rock and roll sound track from the '50's and '60's was great.

Nobody going to the movies lately?

I just saw 'Maleficent.' Beautiful, thought-provoking, probably not good for very young kids, but tweens on up.

I agree. :twothumbsup:

I saw Maleficent twice!  Some of the best fantasy imagery I've ever seen in a movie. I'd say might even surpase Lord of the Rings, but only because Middle Earth is so familiar to me.  

It also had a great story about forgiveness and redemption.

I was glad to see LDS.net support  a positive review of the movie complete with quotes from several Prophets. I agree with the review that it's message seems to be "By loving others unconditionally we can influence them to repent and heal" and I would add "when we forgive someone it can free them to forgive as well".

Much better then other reviews I ran across.

http://www.millennialstar.org/the-lost-arts-of-womanhood-review-of-maleficent/

A vindictive fairy is driven to curse an infant princess only to realize the child may be the only one who can restore peace.

Portrays men as selfish and evil (except for the Raven dude)

Parents treat child as commodity

http://extraordinaryintelligence.com/sympathy-for-the-devil-review-of-disneys-maleficent/

In this review the blogger thinks this movie is an attempt to influence people to sympathize with Lucifer.

:dontknow:

Nobody going to the movies lately?

I just saw 'Maleficent.' Beautiful, thought-provoking, probably not good for very young kids, but tweens on up.

I agree. :twothumbsup:

Disagree.

I hated this movie with a passion.

You don't take a classic like Sleeping Beauty and make Prince Philip a useless fop, especially after you made King Stephan the villain.  I have Prince Philip sitting on my dresser.

It works for Frozen - it's a fresh story.  You can't take a classic and use it as your medium for girl power at the expense of the male characters that people are attached to.

Disagree.

I hated this movie with a passion.

You don't take a classic like Sleeping Beauty and make Prince Philip a useless fop, especially after you made King Stephan the villain.  I have Prince Philip sitting on my dresser.

It works for Frozen - it's a fresh story.  You can't take a classic and use it as your medium for girl power at the expense of the male characters that people are attached to.

I didn't go to this movie with any other expectation other then perhaps a princess is cursed with pricking her finger on a spindle and put into a eternal sleep. I think this was like a Disney's attempt at "Wicked" (the Broadway Musical). It's an alternative take. 

I was first abhorred with the concept because I also thought they were like 'sympathy for the devil' but what it really comes down to is the evil characters are written as good and the good becomes evil. It's not that evil does not exist, it's just that the direction the evil comes from has changed. But it's just a story. If you take the good Characters from either version and put them into a story, it would be really boring because their would be no challenge or crisis and we'd be starting the story with Happily Ever After. 

You want to know what the difference is? Forgiveness. That's what it comes down too. In the original versions, evil attacks good and good prevails. It's that simple. Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella etc.. overcome it with the help of some handsome prince.  Maleficent is so much more enriching because we get to see two people wronged, Maleficent and Aurora, Maleficent overcomes her hurt and desire for revenge and risks her life to right the wrong she did, and we see Aurora look past the evil that was done to her, forgive and reverse the wrong that was done. 

If you want to draw comparisons, you could compare Aurora to the Savior who was innocent, suffered for an others sins and forgave and offered restitution. 

don't hate..embrace...j/k 

I also like the old ones as well and they are much easier for children to enjoy.

..one additional thought on this. 

In the last two Disney movies we've seen that true love is more then physical attraction or something that only occurs between helpless women and wealthy men. True love is caring more for someone else then you do yourself. I think this is a positive change. 

..one additional thought on this. 

In the last two Disney movies we've seen that true love is more then physical attraction or something that only occurs between helpless women and wealthy men. True love is caring more for someone else then you do yourself. I think this is a positive change. 

The road to ruin is always paved with roses...

Sure, it's a positive change... but it should not be made at the expense of the male.

I was excited for that movie as well because it's a fresh take to see the story from the eyes of Maleficent.  I love those villains with a deep backround story - Darth Vader, Magneto, Khan, Queen Elsa...

But Magneto NEVER gets to be the good guy by making the X-Men useless fops, or worse, the evil villains that turned Magneto bad.  It's a classic that you can't just play with willy-nilly to make a statement.

It hits me worse because I have 2 boys who are growing up with girls growing up to these girl power movies that are trending to making idiots out of boys.

I also agree with both myself and anatess :peace:

I agree that boys/men get the short end of the stick it seems when it comes to stories for the young. I would like to see more positive movies about parents and families. I saw one recently and I will write a review after this.

I just feel like that a young boy, or man for that matter, can walk away from this movie and get the same positive lessons that  girls does. Just like a women can read about Ammon and the Lamanites or a man can read about Ruth and Naomi and understand and apply the message.

In this particular story the King was a bad, greedy guy. Most understand that does not mean all men are bad and greedy. The defenders of the forest seemed all male, the Raven guy was a good male, the mini-Elephant guys throwing mud were male. I didn't really get that men=bad from this movie.  

I also agree with both myself and anatess :peace:

I agree that boys/men get the short end of the stick it seems when it comes to stories for the young. I would like to see more positive movies about parents and families. I saw one recently and I will write a review after this.

I just feel like that a young boy, or man for that matter, can walk away from this movie and get the same positive lessons that  girls does. Just like a women can read about Ammon and the Lamanites or a man can read about Ruth and Naomi and understand and apply the message.

In this particular story the King was a bad, greedy guy. Most understand that does not mean all men are bad and greedy. The defenders of the forest seemed all male, the Raven guy was a good male, the mini-Elephant guys throwing mud were male. I didn't really get that men=bad from this movie.  

I'm sorry if I made it sound like men=bad in this movie.  That's not at all what I felt.

What I felt was the major characters from the Classic were changed to be bad or useless so that we are stripped of all our beloved heroes (Prince Philip and King Stephan were heroes in the Classic) to give Maleficent a redeeming quality.

And this is what's really great about girl power in Harry Potter.  Hermoine Granger is the epitome of girl power.  And so is Harry Potter's mom and Ms McGonagal (I think I mispelled that).  They are women our girls and boys can look up to balanced by the male heroes of the story.

The Amazing Spiderman (2)

I had a lot of anticipation over this one but was quite disappointed. The intro into the movie started off good, but it quickly down-spiralled, leaving me feeling like everything was rushed! The crammed all this history between Peter and Harry into one scene, and then before you knew it, they were instantly turned into mortal enemies. I wasn't a fan of the cram. I also felt that the villain, while done well by Fox, was just overkill. They  made him seem so godlike, and yet, his destruction by Spiderman was so simple and easy. It seemed very unlikely. Too bad because the first instalment was really good I thought. My husband also felt that this second one was too Teen Wolf drama-like LOL. I think he was mostly correct, too.