We Don't Teach Jesus?

Finrock

It has been claimed by the occasional member but mostly non-members, that in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints there is a lack of focus on Jesus on any given Sunday.

I don't understand this statement.

Some people say that we focus on things like the Word of Wisdom, or Baptism, or Gifts of the Spirit, etc., but we don't talk much about Jesus.

I still don't understand the statement.

Some people say that we talk about prophets and what they teach, particularly Joseph Smith, but we don't talk much about Jesus.

I am still left confused by the statement.

How can any person think that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a lack of focus on Jesus on any given Sunday?

As I think about church and church services on Sundays, I can't think of a Sunday where the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was not the center and focus of EVERYTHING that we do. Everything that we teach leads back to Christ. When we teach about Baptism, we are teaching about Christ. When we teach about the Word of Wisdom, we are focusing on Jesus. Any time we encourage, uplift, and invite people to live and to keep the commandments of Jesus, we are helping them to focus on the Savior! Not to mention the direct and specific lessons on Jesus, on the atonement, on sacrifice, on keeping the commandments of God. If teaching the teachings of Jesus Christ and asking people to live the teachings of Jesus Christ is not focusing on Jesus, then I don't know what is.

To say that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doesn't focus on Jesus is a sign of someone who just doesn't know better or they are intentionally lying.

Regards,

Finrock

How can any person think that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a lack of focus on Jesus on any given Sunday?

If one comes from a denomination in which every Sunday Sermon comes from the Gospels and is focused on some example from Christ's life then I can kinda see how one might get that impression. I think it's a rather narrow concept, which you yourself are noting, of what it means to focus on Christ, but if you are using that yardstick I can see how we're not tall enough to get on the ride.

If the sting of the perceived attack were removed, and we simply ask the question, "How much is it all about Jesus?" then it's a great question. How much is my life about Jesus? How much is my spiritual devotion about Jesus? The more it's about him--the more He is lifted up--the more people will be drawn to him?

Sure, on some level, we can say it's all about him. How often though, is it more about us. Well, if I prosper and succeed, isn't Jesus glorified? Hey, it proves He works (i.e. for me). Here, what was meant to be a means of glorifying Jesus becomes the end-goal. It's subtle, but so important.

As for this question being a criticism or attack--it may be the one valid attack--on any church, religion, congregation or ward. It doesn't have to be a condemning one. It should cause us to pause and re-evaluate though. If I am a bishop, my ward may be busy and well run, but is it upward focused? (I don't know how much bishops 'steer' such things, so apologies if the example is poor). We pastors should ask the same thing--every week, for every activity. Likewise, I would imagine that missionaries might examine how they spend their days with this question. More service? More door-knocking? More helping around the ward? What is the Spirit saying, and what is most Jesus-centered?

This was probably a great question delivered with poor tone or spirit.

Our time here in mortality is set apart as a time of testing and probation and we are to set our lives in conformity with the terms and conditions of the Father's plan of salvation. Our one purpose is to prepare to return to the presence of God. ( v.32)

Jesus Christ satisfied the demands of justice(v.15) and a broken law and made salvation available to all who believe in HIS Holy name and obey HIS commandments. Truly Christ did say (v.15), "If you love me, keep my commandments". He is our Advocate with the Father, Our Savior and Redeemer, our Lord , our God and our King and we are to seek to become like HIM so that we may become joint heirs with HIM and inherit Eternal Life....the greatest of all of Gods gifts.

Our mode of worship on Sunday is prayer and hymns, invoking the blessing of Heavenly Father and inviting HIS Spirit to be with us as we partake of the bread and water and renew our covenants with HIM and reflect upon Christ's sacrifice for each of us personally. Talks are usually about Gospel principles that should teach and guide us to live as Christ did. We sing songs that are reflective of the Saviors love and teaching with verses such as :

Love one another.

This new commandment:

Love one another.

By this shall men know

Ye are my disciples,

If ye have love

One to another.

We attend Sunday school and learn more of the gospel and Jesus Christ and Heavenly Fathers plan of salvation. We attend Priesthood and Relief Society and learn the teachings of past Prophets who are revealers of Christ and continue to build the foundation of faith.

We sing of HIS goodness and Mercy, we pray to the Father and close in the name of the Son. We seek divine council and pray for sanctification from the Holy Spirit so that we may put off the natural man and put on Christ that through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ we may be cleansed of all sin and be acceptable before the Father.

This is what I experience on Sunday and seek to emulate daily though I am imperfect in this task.

Edited by bytor2112

I think this question is weird to ask at its core. People, when mentioning this topic, usually say something like "we don't focus on Jesus enough." Is there any point at which anybody can say they've preached or focused enough on Jesus? I don't think there is. Teaching more about Jesus Christ is something everybody can always do more of, LDS Church members included.

Now, people use this to compare our Church and other churches, but I don't think it's meaningful to do comparisons with a measuring stick that doesn't end on one side. ;)

We hosted a foreign exchange student for a couple of weeks last year. The one Sunday she was able to come to church with us was fast and testimony meeting. She definitely was left with the impression that Christ was rarely mentioned, and then only in periphery. I noticed this too, as I was trying to be attuned to what her experience might be.

We might KNOW everything is focused on Christ, but the casual and perhaps not so casual observation can appear to be something different.

I have probably spent a good 20 out of 30 years of my life in the church, attending activities and falling asleep in the gratuitous meetings and agree with the observation that we don't focus on Jesus enough.

To the casual observer or first time attendee, it is not surprising that they would assume that Joseph Smith is held in the same regard as Jesus. I agree with this assessment. Many times I have sat in Gospel Doctrine and asked myself, how come we speak of President Smith and the pioneers more often than Jesus. Then again, it depends on the theme of that year or the lesson, which most people would not understand. As well, we share more of a culture understanding with Joseph than we would with Jesus.

That being said, I feel unsettled with the cultural worship of Joseph and other characters. They deserve respect, but at what point do we hold Jesus in the same cultural regard as Joseph or the pioneers?

Focus is an interesting word. When we focus on Jesus or on G-d what about them are we focusing on? What of Jesus do we worship and how do we worship?

I find that my personal worship changes focus from time to time. For example, as I have gotten older I worship less the power, greatness and glory of Jesus and the Father and worship more their kindness, mercy, ability to forgive and to love and have compassion - even their interest and empathy towards me and others that seem even less worthy than I.

I also find the criticism of others a poor and un-fruitful worship for my self. Of all things I have tried - there are few if anything I have ever attempted that has left me personally focused away from Christ than to criticize others. For me, criticism it is an interesting paradox when it comes to worship - if I feel someone is not properly focused, how can I inspire them without losing my own focus?

The answer of course is to love them - but the more I criticize someone the less I love them and the more they dispirited me. Yet Jesus criticized the Pharissese and Scribes and on occasions even his own apostles. But he sacrificed himself for all.

I like to think that it is usually those that think they are without sin that are most likely to think they can cast stones. But I guess I need to listen more to others - including my enemies and less anxious to make my own points. Yet here I am trying to make a point. Sorry

The Traveler

I used to be caught up in thinking these same things, until I realized that what I am focusing on in my life is what I will focus on in Church. I have moved to a different place where I try to focus on the Saviour and his teachings throughout the week, and I am more able to see Jesus in a lot more things that are said and done in Church. We all are different, but this is what works for me.

Focus is an interesting word. When we focus on Jesus or on G-d what about them are we focusing on? What of Jesus do we worship and how do we worship?

Hi Traveler,

Perhaps a point of clarification. We worship the Father not the Son. We reverence the Son and stand in awe of his great atonement. But it is the Father's plan, not the Son's. While we seek to know the Son we must ultimately come to the Father.

I think it's not that we don't emphasize Christ or do emphasize any of His servants, it's that our concern goes beyond accepting Him and being saved. It's about what we do with His teachings. How we live them. Everything we talk about is doctrine and counsel related to what Christ wants for His church and His people. If you think about it in that context, everything we teach is of Christ. Everything is what we do to know Him, grow closer to Him, and return to Him.

Good evening Eowyn. I hope you are doing well.

I think it's not that we don't emphasize Christ or do emphasize any of His servants, it's that our concern goes beyond accepting Him and being saved. It's about what we do with His teachings. How we live them. Everything we talk about is doctrine and counsel related to what Christ wants for His church and His people. If you think about it in that context, everything we teach is of Christ. Everything is what we do to know Him, grow closer to Him, and return to Him.

Thank you for your post. What you say here is exactly what I am saying in the OP. I think you said it better though.

Respectfully,

Kim Mayfield

Hi Traveler,

Perhaps a point of clarification. We worship the Father not the Son. We reverence the Son and stand in awe of his great atonement. But it is the Father's plan, not the Son's. While we seek to know the Son we must ultimately come to the Father.

You might be surprised to find out that some LDS do worship Christ.

We honor Him, we worship Him, we love Him as our Redeemer, the great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New Testament. The entire thrust of the testimony of the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants declares our living Lord before whom we kneel in humility and faith. (Gordon B. Hinckley, "A Testimony of the Son of God", Ensign, Dec. 2002, 2–5)

A Testimony of the Son of God - Ensign Dec. 2002 - ensign

The Wise Men followed the light of a star to find and worship the Savior. We worship Him by following the light of His example. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is perfectly obedient, merciful, and kind. He spent His time on earth in service, and He gave His life so we could repent and live eternally. Because He came to earth, we know who we are: beloved children of Heavenly Father. (Following the Light, President Thomas S. Monson President Henry B. Eyring President Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

Following the Light - Liahona Dec. 2008 - liahona

Both Presidents Hinckley and Monson agree that LDS do worship Jesus. Is this teaching of Christ missing or not emphasized?

M.

I'm in agreement with Maureen. We do worship the Savior. I've always been taught this. What I have been taught is that we don't worship Joseph Smith though some have been heard to say this. We honor him but we don't worship him.

I think a good question has come from this op, while it may be, somewhat, a dirversion of sorts.

Do we worship God the Father? or His son Jesus Christ?

Do Mormons worship Joseph Smith? | Mormon.org

To quote one statement on the preceding link: "We worship God our Eternal Father and the risen Lord Jesus Christ" Gordon B. Hinkley

Note to PC: I never walk away from one of your posts that I do not feel edified, instructed and humbled in my journey on the path to Christ. Thank you.

To the op, what more can I say than what has already been said? We are all in different places and need our entire lives to repent and come to Christ. All we can do more than this is love, forgive and serve.

You might be surprised to find out that some LDS do worship Christ.

We honor Him, we worship Him, we love Him as our Redeemer, the great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New Testament. The entire thrust of the testimony of the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants declares our living Lord before whom we kneel in humility and faith. (Gordon B. Hinckley, "A Testimony of the Son of God", Ensign, Dec. 2002, 2–5)

A Testimony of the Son of God - Ensign Dec. 2002 - ensign

The Wise Men followed the light of a star to find and worship the Savior. We worship Him by following the light of His example. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is perfectly obedient, merciful, and kind. He spent His time on earth in service, and He gave His life so we could repent and live eternally. Because He came to earth, we know who we are: beloved children of Heavenly Father. (Following the Light, President Thomas S. Monson President Henry B. Eyring President Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

Following the Light - Liahona Dec. 2008 - liahona

Both Presidents Hinckley and Monson agree that LDS do worship Jesus. Is this teaching of Christ missing or not emphasized?

M.

The word "worship" is clearly not well defined enough when talking about the difference between the roles the Father and the Son take in our lives and how we approach them. It may be a little more clear if I said we worship the Father in the name of the Son or we aproach the Father through the Son. But even this leaves ambiquity. I think the blessing on the sacrament gives the finest definition. Take the blessing on the bread:

"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ" - We ask God in Christ's name.

"to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it" - God is to bless and sanctify the bread in the name of his Son.

"That they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son" - Having it thus blessed by the Father, we eat in remembrance of the Son.

"and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father," - By so partaking of the bread we witness to the Father.

"that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son" - We witness to the Father that we will take upon us Christ's name. Among other things this means that we see ourselves as Christ's.

"always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them" - We witness to the Father that we will remember Christ and keep his commandments.

"that they may always have his Spirit to be with them" - Christ's spirit to be with us.

So to seperate what we do out between the Father and the Son.

Father - We petition him. We witness to him. He sanctifies us.

Son - The means through which we approach the Father. We commit to remember his body and blood, take upon us his name, remember him, and keep the commandments he has given us. We take upon ourselves his Spirit.

Edited by james12

I guess you can interpret the word "worship" however makes sense to you. But as the years go by, it seems that more LDS confess that they worship Christ. And in worshipping Christ, you worship the Father. I'm thinking in 20 years, this idea of only worshipping the Father and not the Son may become a past belief.

M.

It is interesting and often confusing, but in the ultimate sense we worship the Father and not the Son. The Gospel Plan of Salvation is Heavenly Father's Plan for HIS children and HE sent Christ to Atone for the Fall and at the same time Christ Himself worshiped the Father and had to work out HIS own salvation as well. We follow the pattern of Christ....

We certainly "worship' the Son in the sense that HE is our Elder Brother in the Pre-existence and now Our Savior and Redeemer and will be our Lord, God and King as we become HIS children. We love HIM and as a member of HIS church, I worship HIM in that sense. But my prayers are to the Father and when I petition for blessings or forgiveness it is to the Father in the name of the Son.

This mortal probation is our time to "perform our labors" so that through the Atoning blood of Christ we may return to the presence of the Father....where Christ himself dwells and sits at the right hand of the Father. It is confusing for many I think because we do not accept how other Christian sects define and describe God as in the doctrine of the Trinity.

It's semantics. it's like saying "do you worship God?" Yes. Do you worship God, the Father? Yes. Do you worship God the Son (maybe, according to the recent posts). Do you worship God, the Holy Ghost? No, at least I've never heard of such a thing. But it does get a bit murky, if you don't understand the LDS view of the Godhead, and the relationship of the Father and Son, that the Son can act as the Father, and be worshiped as God even as the Father (i.e. Moses worshiping Jehovah). But it is not a separate worship, or a dual worship. It is one worship of God (and if you want to be semantically specific, then you mean God the Father). And we in no way worship any other "god", person or being (whether in Heaven or Earth).

I can find only one reference to not worshipping Christ. In a March 02, 1982 BYU Devotional, Elder McConkie said:

We do not worship the Son, and we do not worship the Holy Ghost. I know perfectly well what the scriptures say about worshipping Christ and Jehovah, but they are speaking in an entirely different sense—the sense of standing in awe and being reverentially grateful to him who has redeemed us. Worship in the true and saving sense is reserved for God the first, the Creator.

Frankly, I don't believe this is doctrine. It was said at BYU, not in General Conference, and has not been taught generally, as far as I know. The words of Elder McConkie that we hear and speak far more frequently are:

I believe in Christ--my Lord, my God!

My feet he plants on gospel sod.

I'll worship him with all my might;

He is the source of truth and light.

He is also better known for these words, spoken shortly before his death:

He then received all power in heaven and on earth, obtained eternal exaltation, appeared unto Mary Magdalene and many others, and ascended into heaven, there to sit down on the right hand of God the Father Almighty and to reign forever in eternal glory...

And now, as pertaining to this perfect atonement, wrought by the shedding of the blood of God—I testify that it took place in Gethsemane and at Golgotha, and as pertaining to Jesus Christ, I testify that he is the Son of the Living God and was crucified for the sins of the world. He is our Lord, our God, and our King. This I know of myself independent of any other person.

I am one of his witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears.

But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God’s Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way.

I also want to point out what is included in The Living Christ:

We testify that He will someday return to earth. “And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together” (Isaiah 40:5). He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him.

I didn't read all replies.

I think if you look at the doctrine all spinning from Jesus' atonement at its core, you can find traces of Jesus in *every*thing. That's what I'm finding, and I haven't even gotten to the New Testament yet ;)

I think if you look at direct references, those people have a point. However, I would argue that it is perhaps more important/significant to have Jesus so embedded that He doesn't always need direct reference, than to go out of our way to rephrase honest/earnest thoughts and teachings to swing back to Jesus directly.

I think if you look at direct references, those people have a point. However, I would argue that it is perhaps more important/significant to have Jesus so embedded that He doesn't always need direct reference, than to go out of our way to rephrase honest/earnest thoughts and teachings to swing back to Jesus directly.

True. I have come to recognize that a person can not mention the name of Joseph Smith with recognizing his master -- Jesus Christ.

I am unable to speak of the name of the Book of Mormon without recognizing that it is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ."

How can I mention President Thomas S. Monson without recognizing who he serves and who he has been called by.

Frankly, I don't believe this is doctrine. It was said at BYU, not in General Conference, and has not been taught generally, as far as I know. The words of Elder McConkie that we hear and speak far more frequently are:

Context is everything. Elder McConkie spoke about " a special relationship with Christ" a problem that had been creeping into the church and did so at the behest of the First Presidency. The Heresy talk and Our relationship with the Lord talk was given as an Apostle and in a forum such as a BYU Fireside was not done "off the cuff" and there isn't anything in the talk that is not doctrine.

I personally have felt at times that Christ is not focused enough on. For me, the most important meetings that I have attended were when I was just first in college and we had gospel doctrine teacher that was going through the new testament. She rarely had extra material than the scriptures. She just pulled out the 8x11 1/2 inch scriptures and we read and then asked for our feelings and we would share them, bear testimony, and I was inspired most weeks to go home and study myself.

I have never been in a class that was consistently like that one. To me that class was the ideal. The spirit was in that room, and you knew what was talked about was true. We talked of Christ, prophesied of Christ, preached of Christ, for the purpose that we would know the source of the remission of our sins. To me I was mostly motivated to make changes in my life. We talked about Christ and His doctrines, and realizing what He had done I just wanted to be a better person.

To me that is more motivating than hearing about various principles and how to apply them. When we read Mosiah 14, can we not but feel a need and an urgency to live better? I have noticed at various times in my life that what fuels my decisions and whether I do what I am supposed to reguarly comes down to a particular decision.

Have I chosen to follow Christ? It's simple. Did I make that choice. If I did, then lots of my excuses go away, revelation comes and tells me what I need to do. And when I am told, I am ready to act personally. I still make many mistakes, but I feel I really am doing all that I can do in those times. This choice is not made once. It should be made every day. Did you choose THIS day whom you would serve? It seems a good subject of conversation with Father every morning.