10 random scenarios

Bini

Here the changing tables are in the handicap stalls. They also sometimes have wall chairs (not sure what else to call them), a place to safely strap the baby who can't stand so mom can pee. If you have children who can not take care of themselves you have no choice but to use the handicap stalls. The normal stalls are too small to help a child unless you leave the door open which always bothers me. The reality is we all sometimes have to wait for a stall, handicap or otherwise.

One thing that bugs me is when ppl with handicap stickers park illegally because all the handicap spaces are taken (by ppl with handicap permits). If the spaces are taken you park somewhere else or come back later, the fire lane isn't an overflow.

It also upsets me when cops park in the fire lane so they can run in for a sandwich or something. Here most places have a parking space right next to the handicap reserved for cops only. It will sit empty while there are cars in the fire lane.

Regardless of the reserved for a cop stall, I personally think that the police officers should be able to park there if they are on duty. Their car is their office and transportation. If they need to get out quickly, they should have their car close. I have never had a problem with this.

I suppose those opposed to this may change their opinion if a police officer was 1 minute late to save someone because they had to go all the way to the back of Walmart to get to their car.

1. Using wifi service that is not password protected but is private like a residential network not intended for public use.

If a person doesn't want anybody else to use their wife then password protect it. If the gate is open, then people will use it. I have no problem with people using an open wifi connection.

2. Taking in outside food and drink (that you've hidden or the usher said nothing) into a movie theatre that prohibits it.

Over-priced menu items is just as dishonest as bringing food, candy, into a theatre that prohibits it, however one of the sins that easily besets me. I have no issues with bringing candy into a theatre that expects a person to pay triple the amount they buy the same candy bar at the store. In this scenario -- two wrongs make a right -- yep great rationalization. :D

3. Wearing perfectly good clothing and returning it afterwards because you can and they don't ask questions if you've got a receipt or kept tags on.

Inappropriate. This is similar to people who purchase a laptop from Costco, due to their return policy, return it six months later and purchase another laptop. They repeat the cycle every six months.

4. Using a handicapped stall in the restroom when you do not have any physical or mental disabilities.

People can use whatever stall they want.

5. Saving places in line while waiting to be called in a first-come-first-serve setup.

Fine, if the person you are saving a place for was within your group. In other words, if I road in the same car, or two different cars but were a group, then saving a place is definitely ok. If a random friend comes by, and you allow him/her to butt in-line, I don't agree with this.

6. Turning on and using your phone before the aeroplane has taxied and come to a complete stop.

Probably not very wise for yourself and other passengers since cellphones are able to interfere with the pilots devices -- at least this is what I have been told.

7. When leaving, taking extra food out of a buffet restaurant for later.

If all you can eat buffet, then nothing wrong. No different then asking for a container to take home your meal that hasn't been eaten, but was paid for. You paid for all you can eat at the buffet, then taking an amount from the buffet as you are leaving you still paid for it.

8. Allowing your children to use first names for authority figures or elders, such as: teachers, parents or grandparents.

If the authority figure tells the child, call me, "Enter Name," then not a problem. If not, then they should refer to them as they should be addressed properly.

9. Not spaying or neutering your family pet because puppies/kittens might be fun or you foresee making a quick buck by breeding.

Why does a family pet need to be neutered? If the person is willing to properly take care of the little ones, no problem. Cats and dogs, family pets, have been breeding for a long time without being neutered -- the cycle of life.

How about owners who neuter their cats and dogs not allowing them to reach their full potential because they don't want little ones?? But then again, it would be nice if God practiced neutering some of his children..... :eek::D

I suppose those opposed to this may change their opinion if a police officer was 1 minute late to save someone because they had to go all the way to the back of Walmart to get to their car.

If it takes them longer than 15 secs to get to their car from the Wal-mart exit, even if they have to run to the back stall, they should look for a new job, or begin a healthier diet and some cardio exercises. :P

P.S.

Just kidding.

If a person doesn't want anybody else to use their wife then password protect it. If the gate is open, then people will use it. I have no problem with people using an open wifi connection.

From a privacy perspective, however, this is still a bad idea. Because there's no password on the wifi connection, there's no encryption, meaning that all internet traffic is sent as-is over the air unless encrypted by a third party. Anyone with a computer and some freely available software could connect to the same wifi network and capture and store all of your internet traffic, which includes all information you send to websites (passwords, bank accounts, etc.). This is why you often hear the suggestion to not send any personal information over airport wifi networks. So, the wifi password isn't just to keep other people from using your wifi, it's to keep other people from snooping on your traffic. ;)

Interesting feedback so far! I think I confessed to pretty much being an offender for everything except numbers 8, 9, and 10.

I used to take snacks into the cinema but anymore I insist DH gets me "the good stuff" which is their theatre popcorn. We had our own popcorn maker at home and while it tasted pretty darn close, it just wasn't the same..

Okay, question. I understood that with buffets you can eat whatever and however much you want BUT you're not supposed to take "extra" food with you when you leave. IF you choose to do so, you're supposed to pay for "takeaway". That's what we were specifically told at a buffet franchise here in SLC, when my husband proceeded to take extras with us for our daughter to munch on later. Apparently, you can walk into a buffet and pay for a takeaway plate, which you load up and leave with -- you don't sit down, eat, then make your plate of extras and leave.

From a privacy perspective, however, this is still a bad idea. Because there's no password on the wifi connection, there's no encryption, meaning that all internet traffic is sent as-is over the air unless encrypted by a third party. Anyone with a computer and some freely available software could connect to the same wifi network and capture and store all of your internet traffic, which includes all information you send to websites (passwords, bank accounts, etc.). This is why you often hear the suggestion to not send any personal information over airport wifi networks. So, the wifi password isn't just to keep other people from using your wifi, it's to keep other people from snooping on your traffic. ;)

This is the reason why I don't use open wifi connection.

1. Using wifi service that is not password protected but is private like a residential network not intended for public use.

- Temporary and very limited use okay. It's okay if you need to look something completely harmless up quickly and you can't do that through any other means. Anything more than that is not okay.

2. Taking in outside food and drink (that you've hidden or the usher said nothing) into a movie theatre that prohibits it.

- Not okay.

3. Wearing perfectly good clothing and returning it afterwards because you can and they don't ask questions if you've got a receipt or kept tags on.

- Not okay.

4. Using a handicapped stall in the restroom when you do not have any physical or mental disabilities.

- Handicapped stalls in restrooms are NOT restricted to handicapped people only.

5. Saving places in line while waiting to be called in a first-come-first-serve setup.

- Only if you are ACTUALLY there as a complete group (like going to the movie theater or amusement park together). Not okay to save a place in line for your friend to make sure he or she also gets the latest hot Christmas gift for their kids during the Black Friday sale.

7. Turning on and using your phone before the aeroplane has taxied and come to a complete stop.

- Okay. I believe that most airlines do allow this nowadays. At least they did on my last flight.

8. When leaving, taking extra food out of a buffet restaurant for later.

- Not okay to go to the buffet line to get more food with the intent to take it home. It's okay if you unintentionally had something left over on your plate. They will have to throw it away anyways so why not take it home?

9. Allowing your children to use first names for authority figures or elders, such as: teachers, parents or grandparents.

- Okay.

10. Not spaying or neutering your family pet because puppies/kittens might be fun or you foresee making a quick buck by breeding.

- NOT OKAY. DID I SAY NOT OKAY? ABSOLUTELY NOT OKAY.

Edited by Swiper

Why does a family pet need to be neutered? If the person is willing to properly take care of the little ones, no problem. Cats and dogs, family pets, have been breeding for a long time without being neutered -- the cycle of life.

How about owners who neuter their cats and dogs not allowing them to reach their full potential because they don't want little ones?? But then again, it would be nice if God practiced neutering some of his children..... :eek::D

* Bites tongue and walks away * :gnash:

L

If the authority figure is okay with it, I'm okay with it. I also allow my friends' children to refer to me by my first name.

Really? Why? You're female, right? Why do you give up your position and authority (even if it is only age-based) to a child? I TA'd undergrads and I wouldn't let them call me by my first name. It'll be a cold day in August before I let some 19 yr old boy call me 'Dahlia.'

When I went back for another masters degree, I attended the same uni as my son, who had already been there for awhile. His room mates were used to calling me 'Mrs Dahlia' when we spoke on the phone.

Once I moved up there, one roomie thought he could just call me 'Dahlia,' since now I was a student. Not so fast, buddy. I am still someone's mom and I am still older than you are. It's still 'Mrs Dahlia' to you.

Addressing adults properly is a part of having manners. Parents are remiss when they let their children call adults by their first name and it will come back to bite them when they are out in the world and don't know how to behave in a civil and civilized manner. It's like a salesperson calling you by your first name. You don't know me. We are not friends, we are transacting business.

Edited by Eowyn
offensive

I do this. The larger stalls are built so handicapped people have access to them but they are not exclusively for them. If I walk into a small restroom with two stalls, one that's Not in Service and one that is Handicapped accessible, I'm using the larger one for sure. And these stalls are in no way similar to a handicapped parking that requires a special permit and someone without a permit can be ticketed.

9. Allowing your children to use first names for authority figures or elders, such as: teachers, parents or grandparents.

I did not do this. For my kids, they used Mr/Ms, etc for teachers, auntie, uncle and of course grandparents have their proper grandparent name, nana, grandma, granddad. But I'm not sure how they addressed their friends' parents; I imagined it varied depending on the different sets of parents.

M.

Really? Why? You're female, right? Why do you give up your position and authority (even if it is only age-based) to a child? I TA'd undergrads and I wouldn't let them call me by my first name. It'll be a cold day in August before I let some 19 yr old boy call me 'Dahlia.'

I feel awkward, uncomfortable, and old-fashioned when I'm referred to as Mrs. Nut or Sister Nut, whether by a peer or someone younger than I am. To me, it has nothing to do with being female, or my authority, or any position I might have. It just feels awkward to me and I prefer my first name.

Addressing adults properly is a part of having manners. Parents are remiss when they let their children call adults by their first name and it will come back to bite them when they are out in the world and don't know how to behave in a civil and civilized manner. It's like a salesperson calling you by your first name. You don't know me. We are not friends, we are transacting business.

Okay, I'll agree with this much at least. I guess I'm thinking more about my friends' kids, or neighborhood children. I prefer them to just call me Wing. But if I'm a primary teacher, I would expect the kids in my class to call me Sister Nut. I also expect my daughter to refer to her primary teachers as Brother and Sister So-and-So. And she will refer to her school teachers more formally as well. I think, though, that familiarity is becoming more and more a norm.

Edited by Eowyn
editing edited quoted post

What do you think about the following random everyday scenarios?

7. Turning on and using your phone before the aeroplane has taxied and come to a complete stop.

10. Not spaying or neutering your family pet because puppies/kittens might be fun or you foresee making a quick buck by breeding.

1. Dishonest and potentially dangerous

2. Dishonest. And yet I do this all. the time. I suppose it's a pet sin.

3. Dishonest and weird.

4. I have no problem with this as long as there is no handicapped individual waiting to use the stall.

5. Downright rude.

6. I like ice cream

7. I was on a plane a few weeks' ago and they allowed it. The "time to turn back on phones" was before the plane had taxied.

8. Just plain weird.

9. I figure that if all parties are okay with it, it's all good.

10. While I know several people who are responsible breeders, I generally consider spaying/neutering a responsible choice for every other pet owner.

Titles are important to some people. Like really important. I remember ordering at a sandwich place with coworkers. The one doctor puts in his order as "Dr. Blankity Blank" so that's what they announce over the intercom when his sandwich is ready. Seriously.

I am old fashioned with not using first names for authority figures or elders. I was raised that way, I will raise my daughter that way.

1 Why not?

2 Why not? If you're that cheap you wouldn't have bought anything anyway.

3 Never done it. It's a girl thing.:eek:

4 Why not? When you gotta go you gotta go.

5 Mostly baloney. I don't do it, but I think it's mostly a Utah thing.:rolleyes:

6 Oh Yeah......

7 This is OK IMHO and everyone does it AFAIK on flights I've ever been on. A nonsense rule more obeyed in the breach.

8 Flat out stealing.

9 Kids should learn respect.

10 YMMV.:huh:

It's like a salesperson calling you by your first name. You don't know me. We are not friends, we are transacting business.

This is the one that bugs me. It pretty much guarantees that I don't need whatever they're selling. Right up there with anyone who insists on being addressed by a title but uses others' first names. (Outside of very limited circumstances.)

It's like a salesperson calling you by your first name. You don't know me. We are not friends, we are transacting business.

Having working off and on in retail for years, I kind of have to take exception with this one. I always had to wear a nametag. I really appreciated the customer who actually paid attention to me and addressed me by my name. Versus the customer that looked at me in a demeaning fashion because I worked retail and I was just a person behind the counter.

Having working off and on in retail for years, I kind of have to take exception with this one. I always had to wear a nametag. I really appreciated the customer who actually paid attention to me and addressed me by my name. Versus the customer that looked at me in a demeaning fashion because I worked retail and I was just a person behind the counter.

Totally sucks if you don't like kids or strangers using your first name but you have to wear a first name badge working retail, for example.

• 4 weeks later...

Not strictly true, especially with passwords and online banking.

No bank in the world will allow you to visit their online banking website without first encrypting the traffic with HTTPS. And if yours does... you need to find a new bank. The same goes with any website that requires you to enter a password for anything important. Most of the time, that password is encrypted. Anyone intercepting your traffic will just see gibberish.

Not sure I agree. If you left the front door open to your house, are you 100% to blame if some random kids use your house for a party during your absence? Those kids also know entering private property under those circumstances, whether properly secured or not, is illegal.

Cinemas are notoriously expensive here. You don't know how good you've got it in the states ;). So yes, I take food in discreetly.

Never even thought about it.

I will if the others are dirty or engaged.

Generally I wouldn't do it, and would be self conscious if I did.

After an 8 hour flight, checking your phone can be pretty crucial, depending on circumstances. So yeah, I've been known to do this.

I would never do this. That said, I have been known to order only one drink instead of two, when eating out with my wife and the restaurant does free refills.

Over here, it isn't considered rude to do this in most cases (the exception being teachers with young students)

I'm not sure why this would be an issue?

Edited by Mahone

1. I admit it. I've done it. But I made the family cookies and gave a poor kid some coins, so back off!

2. I tried once but I'll never do it again. The ticket taker man person frisked me, dumped out my bag filled with skiddles, and then checked under my tongue for gum. Completely rude! Now..if the guy had been cute, I'd be telling a different story.

3. That never happens. I buy the clothes I shouldn't and they sit in my closet for years until I finally give in and give them to DI.

4. Look. Sometimes you just have to pee. What do you want me to do? Do the potty dance in public? I'm gonna use the stall thank you very much. ANd if someone is there, they can wait. It's not like I'm gonna pee for 80,000 years.

5. I do this all the time. It's entertaining to watch people get so pissed!

6. I would never do that! NEVER! I can't even believe you mentioned it. You really should think twice before you post.

7. What's an aeroplane? How attractive are the pilots??

8. I don't know, but are you going to finish that eclair?

9. It's just so hard to remember all that formality! Anyway, if you mistake a Miss for a Mrs, you might get slugged.

10. Hey. Puppy mills provide badly needed jobs! Geesh.

Some/most of these are cultural Like the name thing. West Coast tends to be first names (Mike &Emily), southeast tends to be honorary + first name. Miss Emily, Mr.Mike. Midwest & North tends to be honorifics. Or the handicapped stall. In so,e geographic regions it stands empty until someone with gear or kids needs it. In most it gets used in rotation just like every other stall. It's not reserved for disabled people.

I tend to practice pragmatic invisibility. Meaning that I generally follow local custom.

Which is also what I teach my kids. Situational awareness.

Q

Not strictly true, especially with passwords and online banking.

No bank in the world will allow you to visit their online banking website without first encrypting the traffic with HTTPS. And if yours does... you need to find a new bank. The same goes with any website that requires you to enter a password for anything important. Most of the time, that password is encrypted. Anyone intercepting your traffic will just see gibberish.

Yeah, but that's not fool-proof: a lot of people don't even know what the lock sign is for. Man-in-the-middle attacks that involve shunting someone from a secure site from a non-secure site hoping they don't notice exist out there. Web security really needs to get more intuitive, but I'm hoping things like HTTPS Everywhere gets more traction in the meantime.

• 1 month later...

1. Using wifi service that is not password protected but is private...

- I have done this, but only for specific purposes and for limited amounts of time. I've sent semi-urgent email messages, looked up directions to places I needed to be, that sort of thing. No Facebook, no games, no downloads--only stuff that can't wait until I have public or personal access.

2. Taking in outside food and drink into a movie theatre that prohibits it...

- I generally don't eat or drink during a movie anyway. Except in two cool theaters in my town that actually serve food right before the movie starts so it's a dinner-and-a-movie kind of place.

3. Wearing perfectly good clothing and returning it afterwards...

- I've never done this. Feels far too dishonest. The store could lose money if they can't resell the clothes, and they'd have to make up that loss somewhere, by cutting employee hours or benefits or raising the prices on other things.

4. Using a handicapped stall in the restroom...

- Only if no other stalls are available.

5. Saving places in line...

- Depends on who I'm saving it for. Are they part of my group (meaning I'm paying for them or they are paying for me)? Then, yes. Were they already in line and had to run off to take care of something urgently? Most likely, yes. Other people? Probably not.

- No. I'd rather wait until I'm off the plane to use the phone, just as a matter of personal preference.

8. Taking extra food out of a buffet restaurant for later...

- I don't think I've ever been to a buffet where this is even possible.

9. Allowing your children to use first names for authority figures or elders...

- Depends on the person. My kids' teacher wants to be called by her first name. Same with three of his five grandparents.

- I don't know about this one. Puppies or kittens might be fun. I doubt I'd ever try breeding. But I can see how this could be seriously problematic for people who can't bring themselves to get rid of animals they can't take care of.