Private messages moderated?

AngelMarvel

I may get banned for this...but, I have to say, when I just read that our PRIVATE MESSAGES can be read by moderators, I was appalled to say the least!

I thought a private message was just that... PRIVATE! If you are going to have the opportunity to read my private messages, it should be something that is revealed to us in the first private message we get when we join. A simple statement like, "All PMs may be moderated!"

I wouldn't say anything in a private message that I would be ashamed of the Lord seeing...but, I have said things in a private message about personal things that I would only want my friend to see. How embarrassing to think that something I may be PM'd to a friend could have been read by a moderator.

Maybe this is actually the norm on forums. I have owned my own forum for many years and NEVER have I had it set up to moderate a PM.

If I read the message HERE incorrectly, I am sorry...but, it does sound like at least 2 mods have access to my PM info.

That being said, I do enjoy this forum and have really enjoyed reading the different threads. But, I definitely won't be sending PMs to anyone.

Angel

Edited by AngelMarvel
fixed typo

Funny...it is brought up in the site rules that everyone who sets up an account agrees to at time of registration.

Personally I don't have the time nor do I have the interest in reading pm's. That being said, if for any reason we feel there is a need, based on the actions of a member of the site, something said in a forum or a complaint by a site member, we will take a look at the pm's. But we're looking for pm's from that particular individual.

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-net-admin-alerts/26207-spam-love-scam-emails.html

If you take a look at this you will see this site gets numerous pm's flying from those coming to spam site members. We can see in our stats on our admin panel a spike in the number of pm's in a given time period. At that point we do look at a listing of pm's to see if this is again the case. But we're looking for a large number of pm's coming from the same username.

The terms of service and site rules which you agreed to before creating account clearly state that ALL aspects of this site are monitored. If you choose to just click agree and move on... (like a lot of people do) well then you have only yourself to blame if you assumed incorrectly.

As a general rule you should not put anything out on the internet that you wouldn't want others to see because once you hit send you have no control over were it goes, who might see it, and whom they might share it with

I may get banned for this...but, I have to say, when I just read that our PRIVATE MESSAGES can be read by moderators, I was applauded to say the least!

And thank you so much for "applauding" us. It's such a thankless job. :)

I thought a private message was just that... PRIVATE!

You can bold, underline, and all caps all you like, but you're correct, this actually is the norm on forums. For the reasons explained above. No really- expectations of privacy on the internet are misplaced, and you're better off without them. I'm sorry if this is a rough learning curve to you, but you'll be better off understanding it. This isn't an lds.net thing or a mormon thing, this is an internet thing. Here are fifty-six million hits from a google search to help you. They focus on Facebook and Twitter and whatnot, but the message is pretty clear.

Private Messages Aren't Private

If you are going to have the opportunity to read my private messages, it should be something that is revealed to us in the first private message we get when we join. A simple statement like, "All PMs may be moderated!"

It is true that this information is buried halfway through the long site rules. But it's supposed to be pretty common knowledge.

I have owned my own forum for many years and NEVER have I had it set up to moderate a PM.

Did you have the sexting, illegal scamming, or child endangerment problems the rest of us have been dealing with for years? I guess you wouldn't know one way or the other, since you never looked. Is the forum you owned still operating? I'd like to know what it is, to see if my kids may be interested in using it at some point and possibly being targeted in PM by predators.

My forum is a graphics forum and yes it is operating...thank you. And, my members PMs are not moderated. Thanks for the info and links.

And thank you so much for "applauding" us. It's such a thankless job. file:///C:/Users/Angel/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif

Thank you for pointing out my typing error so I could fix it. I was not applauding this at all because I do not think it as funny. Some people do not know how to spell and others just make a typo… mine was a typo!

And... I did read some NOT all of the Terms because after reading for 15 minutes it all seemed to run into each other. I don't believe ANYONE would read every single word of this and if they did, they have more time on their hands than I do. I just never thought that "all things are moderated" meant a PRIVATE message. PRIVATE to me means private.

Seriously has everyone read this full terms & conditions?

Anyway...doesn't matter.

Be blessed and enjoy your day.

Angel

Here's the link to the site rules when you signed up:

Terms & Conditions » LDS Social Network

LDS.NET reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to moderate, reject, refuse to post or remove any posting (including private messages) by you, or to restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of the LDS.NET Services at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice, and without liability. LDS.NET expressly reserves the right to remove your profile and/or restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to any part of LDS.NET Services if LDS.NET determines, in its sole discretion, that you pose a threat to LDS.NET and/or its Users.

Yes.. I see that. It's way down there in all this info. I am just saying that when we get that first PM from Heather...it would be nice if that info was right there so we would see it better. The funny thing is I have only sent PMs in this forum to Pam and no one else. Now I know not to send them at all.

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Any views expressed on LDS.NET are independent of and do not represent the views of LDS.NET, More Good Foundation, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Site Rules

1. Do not post, upload, or otherwise submit anything to the site that is derogatory towards The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, its teachings, or its leaders. Anti-LDS Propaganda will not be tolerated anywhere.

2. Please be conscious of the fact that although LDS.NET is aimed towards an LDS audience, that the membership of this site consists of friends from an array of different backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. Please be respectful and courteous to all, and know that everyone who is willing to follow the Rules and Terms of LDS.NET are welcome to participate and be a member of LDS.NET. Keep in mind that anything posted, uploaded, or otherwise displayed on the site should be understandable to friends of other faiths as well as to members. Please define any LDS vocabulary that friends of other faiths may not understand (i.e. Mutual, Relief Society, and Deacon.)

3. Personal attacks, name calling, flaming, and judgments against other members will not be tolerated.

4. No bickering and nit-picking toward others. Realize that sometimes it is very difficult to be able to express how one feels through written words. Please be courteous and ask for a further explanation, rather then trying to attack and find holes in someone else's post.

5. No cursing or crude language. Any topics of a sensitive nature must be placed in the Open Forum. Any swearing, including filter skipping, will result in an automatic one week suspension.

6. Posting issues you have with a moderator or administrator anywhere on the site will not be allowed. Please follow the chain of authority if you have any concerns. Any such posts will be removed and the poster will be subject to the consequences of breaking the rules.

List of site moderators

Course of action that should be taken if you have a concern:

- Send a message directly to the moderator you have a concern about. If you are unable to work out the problem then,

- Send a message to the head moderators.

- If after you have approached both avenues, you may then send a message to Heather; however know that Heather is very unlikely to over rule anything that has been sanctioned by the moderators and head moderators.

7. Multiple accounts are not allowed and will result in all accounts being banned from the site.

8. Do not post or upload any names of political candidates or posts that insinuate a particular candidate. Do not make post, messages, videos, or uploads in reference to political candidates. You may not use LDS.NET to endorse any candidate running for political office. You may not use LDS.Net to intervene directly or indirectly in the election process by endorsing a political candidate. Any post that speaks favorably about one candidate, even in a religious context, can be construed as indirect intervention in the election process.

9. Please do not share any "true" or "faith promoting" stories, unless you can verify the source.

10. Do not post any copyrighted material, unless the copyright is owned by you.

11. Bigoted/racial/ethnic comments will not be tolerated.

Political Neutrality Policy

More Good Foundation, as a nonprofit foundation, must remain neutral with respect to partisan politics and candidate campaigns for public office. The foundation encourages its members and staff to be informed about political issues and to be engaged in civic life; however, it does not endorse or oppose any political parties, candidates, or platforms.

LDS.Net will allow political discussion, also long as all posts remain neutral with respect to partisan politics and candidate campaigns for public office. You may not use the site to show support, endorse, oppose or sanction any candidate. In addition, all posts must be respectful and sensitive to readers of all political beliefs and backgrounds. Any post that violates any of the above conditions will be dealt with according to the consequences of breaking the rules. Effective 9-24-09 political discussion has been suspended. Any threads of this nature will be closed.

As a non-profit organization, 501©3, we are governed by legal constraints relative to writing, blogging, or otherwise endorsing any candidate running for political office. The law states, in effect, that no one acting on behalf of the nonprofit can intervene directly or indirectly in the election process by endorsing a political candidate. Any post that speaks favorably about one candidate, even in a religious context, can be construed as indirect intervention in the election process. While journalists are presently exempt from this provision, bloggers and forum-members are not.

12. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this site to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

13. You will not use this site to solicit the sale of any product, service or website. You will not use this site to promote a money making venture or contest. If appropriate, you may post a link to your personal website or to your business on your profile, in your forum signature, and you make create one post in the web link section of the forum. Do not post any link or discuss any business, service, or website that violates any rule of LDS.net. LDS.net is not responsible for the content of any site linked on LDS.net.

Consequences to these rules could result in the following, and are determined on a case by case basis. Anything that an Administrator or Moderator determines is more than just an infraction of the rules, will result in immediate banning from the site and/or legal action:

1. First infraction will result in a warning and a message from a moderator on what rule was broken.

2. Second infraction will result in a one week suspension followed by a two week moderator post approval

3. Third infraction will result in banned from the site for good.

Any topic, message, video, music, image, or other upload or submission to the site that breaks any rules will be deleted.

Please remember that we are not responsible for anything posted or uploaded. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message or upload. We are not responsible for the contents of any message, video, image, post or upload.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of LDS.NET, More Good Foundation, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact the Administration immediately by Private Message, Email, or Report a Post. We will make every effort to remove objectionable messages and uploads within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

LDS.NET Terms of Use Agreement

January 8, 2008

LDS.NET is a social networking service that allows Members to create unique personal profiles online in order to find and communicate with old and new friends. LDS.net refers to "LDS.net or its proprietors." The services offered by LDS.NET ("LDS.NET" or "we") include the LDS.NET website (the "LDS.NET Website"), the LDS.NET Internet messaging service, and any other features, content, or applications offered from time to time by LDS.NET in connection with the LDS.NET Website (collectively, the "LDS.NET Services"). The LDS.NET Services are hosted in the U.S.

This Terms of Use Agreement ("Agreement") sets forth the legally binding terms for your use of the LDS.NET Services. By using the LDS.NET Services, you agree to be bound by this Agreement, whether you are a "Visitor" (which means that you simply browse the LDS.NET Website) or you are a "Member" (which means that you have registered with LDS.NET). The term "User" refers to a Visitor or a Member. You are only authorized to use the LDS.NET Services (regardless of whether your access or use is intended) if you agree to abide by all applicable laws and to this Agreement. Please read this Agreement carefully and save it. If you do not agree with it, you should leave the LDS.NET Website and discontinue use of the LDS.NET Services immediately. If you wish to become a Member, communicate with other Members and make use of the LDS.NET Services, you must read this Agreement and indicate your acceptance during the Registration process.

This Agreement includes LDS.NET's policy for acceptable use of the LDS.NET Services and Content posted on the LDS.NET Website, your rights, obligations and restrictions regarding your use of the LDS.NET Services and LDS.NET's Privacy Policy. In order to participate in certain LDS.NET Services, you may be notified that you are required to download software or content and/or agree to additional terms and conditions. Unless otherwise provided by the additional terms and conditions applicable to the LDS.NET Services in which you choose to participate, those additional terms are hereby incorporated into this Agreement. You may receive a copy of this Agreement by emailing us at: [email protected], Subject: Terms of Use Agreement.

LDS.NET may modify this Agreement from time to time and such modification shall be effective upon posting by LDS.NET on the LDS.NET Website. You agree to be bound to any changes to this Agreement when you use the LDS.NET Services after any such modification is posted. It is therefore important that you review this Agreement regularly to ensure you are updated as to any changes.

Please choose carefully the information you post on LDS.NET and that you provide to other Users. You may NOT include any of the following information anywhere on LDS.NET, including private messages: telephone numbers, street addresses, last names, and any photographs containing nudity, or obscene, lewd, excessively violent, harassing, sexually explicit or otherwise objectionable subject matter. Email addresses should NEVER be posted to the general public. Despite this prohibition, information provided by other LDS.NET Members (for instance, in their Profile) may contain inaccurate, inappropriate, offensive or sexually explicit material, products or services, and LDS.NET assumes no responsibility or liability for this material. If you become aware of misuse of the LDS.NET Services by any person, please contact LDS.NET or click on the "Report Inappropriate Content" link at the bottom of any LDS.NET page.

LDS.NET reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to moderate, reject, refuse to post or remove any posting (including private messages) by you, or to restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of the LDS.NET Services at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice, and without liability. LDS.NET expressly reserves the right to remove your profile and/or restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to any part of LDS.NET Services if LDS.NET determines, in its sole discretion, that you pose a threat to LDS.NET and/or its Users.

I just assume that anything I post on the internet can be read by almost anyone who wants to read it.

So this is my motto: "Don't type anything stupid that I wouldn't want my family/friends to know, or to be published on the first page of the newspaper."

My forum is a graphics forum and yes it is operating...thank you. And, my members PMs are not moderated. Thanks for the info and links.

Thank you for pointing out my typing error so I could fix it. I was not applauding this at all because I do not think it as funny. Some people do not know how to spell and others just make a typo… mine was a typo!

And... I did read some NOT all of the Terms because after reading for 15 minutes it all seemed to run into each other. I don't believe ANYONE would read every single word of this and if they did, they have more time on their hands than I do. I just never thought that "all things are moderated" meant a PRIVATE message. PRIVATE to me means private.

Seriously has everyone read this full terms & conditions?

Anyway...doesn't matter.

Be blessed and enjoy your day.

Angel

I seriously doubt anyone reads all of the site rules. However, in order to register for this site, everyone has to agree to them in order to create an account. Whether one reads something they are agreeing to is up to them.

I'm saying this generally though it will appear I'm directing it totally at you. But it's a general statement because as moderators we get this all of the time. But one should not complain about site rules that they did not take the time to read but yet agreed to at the time of registration.

We are guests here, and it's a free site. If there's something you don't want your hosts to know you're saying to other guests, maybe you ought not say it, or find another format outside of this site to discuss it.

Following up on spammer.. predator comments by Pam and Loudmouth..

LDS.net draws out the Antis as well. Now when the Antis show up in the forums going after the weak and the struggling by an large we can count on a vigorous response from the various forum members until the mods can get in and clean it up.

However when the Antis target their prey in PMs there is no response like you would get in the forums. It is the struggling vs the Anti... And rarely ends well without help. Only monitoring of the PMs can give us the ability to deal with that.

As John Doe said in the thread you linked... We have neither the time nor the interests to follow all PMs the people in this forums can generate. However we do have ways of spotting the odd or potentially questionable one so we can focus in on those without reading any of the rest.

I just assume that anything I post on the internet can be read by almost anyone who wants to read it.

So this is my motto: "Don't type anything stupid that I wouldn't want my family/friends to know, or to be published on the first page of the newspaper."

i have things I would want...some friends to know but not others, and some I would want my framily to know but not my friends

and rambling thoughts no one should have to hear but all do:lol:

mind you I don't think I would be sending uncooth PM's on an LDS forum...:lol:

I really don't understand this appalling feeling that others feel (and no, you are not the first to discover this and be appalled at it). This site is owned by the More Good Foundation. They have a very specific agenda and mission. Why wouldn't they want to monitor all aspects of the website to prevent untold horrors that could happen?

Goodness, the chat function on this site was shut down due to unbecoming behavior of some of the members. Even though it is clear in the site rules that such behavior is unaccetable, some people just couldn't resist it while in chat. So, why shouldn't we monitor the Pms? And in case you are wondering, the blogs, pictures, videos and any other function of the site is monitored--yes, even your own profile page.

And as far as letting people know. It is there to read. As much as pam would like, she just doesn't have the time to hold everyone's hand to read all parts of the agreement. Instead of freaking out over it, once you find out something about it, go back and re-read the agreement.

We are guests here, and it's a free site. If there's something you don't want your hosts to know you're saying to other guests, maybe you ought not say it, or find another format outside of this site to discuss it.

I don't PM on this site. Only PMd Pam a few times because I was told in my first PM by Heather to ask her questions. I asked her a few questions about avatars and signature posting.

You all are trying to make me feel bad for having feelings about a private message and for not completely reading every single word of the terms. I could finish the BoM before I could finish that very long list. Yes.. my fault for not understanding what I did read.

It just came as a shock to me that PMs were read. Nothing more... nothing less. So please don't continue to rag on me like I am a child. I get it.

It just came as a shock to me that PMs were read. Nothing more... nothing less. So please don't continue to rag on me like I am a child. I get it.

Hyperbole comparing the length of the site terms and agreements with the Book of Mormon being a quicker read don't help your cause.

Edited by Dravin

I don't PM on this site. Only PMd Pam a few times because I was told in my first PM by Heather to ask her questions. I asked her a few questions about avatars and signature posting.

You all are trying to make me feel bad for having feelings about a private message and for not completely reading every single word of the terms. I could finish the BoM before I could finish that very long list. Yes.. my fault for not understanding what I did read.

You are continuing to abdicate responsibility for your actions and choices. You chose to join this site without bothering to read the rules. You are trying to blame YOUR choices on others. You are attempting to make the argument that reading the rules is too odious and burdensome for you bother with.

Whether you read the rules or not, you took the action of agreeing to them. You had opportunity to read them, but you chose not to. That's all on you.

You're "appalled" by a common practice on the internet. You are judging the owners of this site, but you don't want anyone to offer an opinion contrary to yours?