Putting daughters' names on scriptures.

We're getting our oldest daughter her "nice" set of scriptures for Christmas, since she'll be entering YW soon. I want to have her name imprinted on the front.

Since she'll likely be married someday and probably change her last name, I'm not sure what to put. First and middle name? Full name? First and last? First only?

Most likely, she will obtain another set of scripture before she is married. If not, her name will always be what you gave her--even if she takes her husband's last name. I would vote to put her full name. I just think it looks nicer than just a first name.

Hi Eowyn. I hope you're doing well today! :)

This came to mind:

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient is the day unto the evil thereof.

She may be some man's wife someday but she is your daughter right now. Put her full name on it; "the morrow [will] take thought for the things of itself".

-Finrock

Edited by Finrock
Fixed quote

I still have the ones I got at her age. I'm too attached to all the notes and markings I made in seminary and institute and otherwise over the years to replace them. :) Of course now I use my smartphone more often.

Good thoughts. Thanks.

We're getting our oldest daughter her "nice" set of scriptures for Christmas, since she'll be entering YW soon. I want to have her name imprinted on the front.

Since she'll likely be married someday and probably change her last name, I'm not sure what to put. First and middle name? Full name? First and last? First only?

Put her regular name on it. By the time she's ready to marry everything will be digital anyway. Actually, it is already.:-)

Your maiden name is still your name, even if you have now legally tacked another last name on the end of it. In fact, your maiden name is your permanent identity; as much as we would hope your married name will also be your name forever, you can't totally discount the possibility of divorce or death resulting in an eventual remarriage. But no matter what, your maiden name won't change.

The only "need" I can see for using scriptures with your married name on them is that if you lose them, your ward members won't recognize the name to get them back to you. So write your current name and phone number on the inside flap in pencil. :) Otherwise, there's nothing I can see that would be a problem with having your maiden name engraved on your scriptures. When I use my set that has my maiden name on it, it reminds me of who I am and where I came from. It's not all that I am now, so it isn't my full name anymore, but it isn't wrong--Unlike the scriptures I have with my married name on them. I may end up divorced someday and those ones will have a name on them that is no longer who I am.

Hopfully that made sense. Sorry if it was more than you bargained for with this question. ;)

I vote full name also. I have grandmothers who have their maiden names on their bibles. In the inside of the leather, they wrote their husband's name, their wedding date, and all their children and their birth dates. I guess it used to be a tradition. Sure makes it easier to do genealogy research. :)

Put her full name on the scriptures. If she takes her husband's name when she marries, get her a brand spanking new set of scriptures that have her married name on them. She's not likely to want to use her seminary scriptures as an adult, anyway.

I had my set that had my maiden name on them... and I took it to the book store and they were able to take my last name off and put my married name on. You can't even tell it was changed. If I remember right it cost $3.00.

They did say it all depends on the length of the name and how far over it was first place on the scriptures.