Speaking of fairy tales..

Bini

For the first time, I watched Disney's animated Hunchback of Notre Dame and I have never been so disappointed. I don't know, I guess I wanted more of a "fairy tale" happy ending and less of a "realistic" ending. I thought Disney might give Quasimodo his love but no, the gypsy girl was in love with the knight, and those two had their happy ending. And I didn't think the "three cheers" for Quasimodo's heroic efforts at the end were enough either. Looks like I take for granted some of these Disney's happily ever afters, after all. :P

That's my random rant for the day.

You do realize that the Disney movie was significantly Disneyfied and the actual ending of the book is a horrific tragedy? I guess they Disneyfied it, but not enough? :)

Yup, Disney sweetens up everything. I was caught off guard by this one because it wasn't nearly as sweet as typical Disney's.

Slightly unrelated, but I LOVE a good fairytale rewrite, a la Shannon Hale or Robin McKinley.

I am guessing that you and Sister Vort would get along famously. Here are some authors on her Kindle wish list:

• Judith Lown
  • Sarah Ladd
  • Sarah Eden
  • Marcia Lynn McClure
  • Janette Rallison
  • Lynn Kurland (she really loves Lynn Kurland)
  • Shannon Guymon
  • Leslie Ann Moore
  • Robin McKinley

Okay, I'm sort of on a Disney back-to-back marathon right now. Just finished Pocahontas and that one didn't end with she and John Smith getting hitched or even running away together - but oddly - I was okay with that. I think with this movie, I felt like Pocahontas messed up a few things, regardless, that she had good intentions. Sneaking around with the enemy which leads to a family member dying (in her family) isn't cool. So I was okay with John Smith going his way and she going her way at the end. Some things just aren't meant to be :)

Okay, I'm sort of on a Disney back-to-back marathon right now. Just finished Pocahontas and that one didn't end with she and John Smith getting hitched or even running away together - but oddly - I was okay with that. I think with this movie, I felt like Pocahontas messed up a few things, regardless, that she had good intentions. Sneaking around with the enemy which leads to a family member dying (in her family) isn't cool. So I was okay with John Smith going his way and she going her way at the end. Some things just aren't meant to be :)

Wasn't the real-life Pocahontas, like, eight?

Wasn't the real-life Pocahontas, like, eight?

Not sure about Pocahontas, but the real Sacajawea was about sixteen, the second wife of a French (Quebecois) trapper, and one of the most amazing people in US history. She was as responsible for the successes of the Lewis-Clark Expedition as Lewis or Clark, or indeed anyone. She was pregnant and gave birth during the journey, but it barely slowed her down. Lewis liked her so much that he threatened her husband that he'd kill him if he kept beating her. She was a slave to another Indian tribe -- Sacajawea was her slave name -- and she had been bought by the trapper to be his second wife. Upon returning to her own tribe with the group, she realized while talking with the chief that he was her brother, and they enjoyed a tearful reunion. Really quite an amazing woman.

I was okay with Quasimodo ending. I wasn't okay with Shrek I! I was royally upset. The ogre kissed the princess and she turned into an ogre. HOW MEAN ARE YOU DREAMWORKS!!!! :)

How else would they have been able to make so many sequels and continue to show my beloved Gingy in them?

Not sure about Pocahontas, but the real Sacajawea was about sixteen, the second wife of a French (Quebecois) trapper, and one of the most amazing people in US history. She was as responsible for the successes of the Lewis-Clark Expedition as Lewis or Clark, or indeed anyone. She was pregnant and gave birth during the journey, but it barely slowed her down. Lewis liked her so much that he threatened her husband that he'd kill him if he kept beating her. She was a slave to another Indian tribe -- Sacajawea was her slave name -- and she had been bought by the trapper to be his second wife. Upon returning to her own tribe with the group, she realized while talking with the chief that he was her brother, and they enjoyed a tearful reunion. Really quite an amazing woman.

Pocahontas was 12 when she saved John Smith. Doesn't anyone know how to google? :D

How else would they have been able to make so many sequels and continue to show my beloved Gingy in them?

Oh, I can think of many ways... the Princess and the Ogre lives happily in the castle until the donkey gets kidnapped by the evil gingerbread cookie which leads the ogre to go through many trials and travails and finally eats the cookie. Har har har!

Oh, I can think of many ways... the Princess and the Ogre lives happily in the castle until the donkey gets kidnapped by the evil gingerbread cookie which leads the ogre to go through many trials and travails and finally eats the cookie. Har har har!

*gasps*

It is a great story, her son was raised by Clark.

I am guessing that you and Sister Vort would get along famously. Here are some authors on her Kindle wish list:

• Judith Lown
  • Sarah Ladd
  • Sarah Eden
  • Marcia Lynn McClure
  • Janette Rallison
  • Lynn Kurland (she really loves Lynn Kurland)
  • Shannon Guymon
  • Leslie Ann Moore
  • Robin McKinley

I've read some of these authors, will now steal the rest of the list.

(And I totally bumped into Janette Rallison at a Wal-Mart once, of all places.)

Pocahontas was 12 when she saved John Smith. Doesn't anyone know how to google? :D

I've also heard it said there was a lot of miscommunication and John Smith possibly didn't even need to be "saved." There's a lot of half-truths surrounding that whole bit.

What I love most about the Disney film is how Powhatan makes this big speech about peace at the end of the movie when according to much of history he declares all-our war against the settlers a short time later.

Anywho, I am about to start a Pocahontas book, conveniently enough.

My Lady Pocahontas

Twas an Amazon Vine freebie I had never heard of before, but I''m hoping it will be an interesting read.

I look at Vort's earlier essay on Sacajawea and I recommend this bit of historical fiction Streams to the River, River to the Sea.

AND... while we're on the subject of Disney fairy-tale movies (as the Frozen thread is "old") where the devil did Disney get off on saying that movie was based on "The Snow Queen"?

I don't know but I've seen The Snow Queen (or was it the Ice Queen?) movie and it was a lot darker and actually kind of sad as to how the queen became who she was. It didn't really reflect Disney's version of Frozen at all.

I don't know but I've seen The Snow Queen (or was it the Ice Queen?) movie and it was a lot darker and actually kind of sad as to how the queen became who she was. It didn't really reflect Disney's version of Frozen at all.

Haven't seen that one, though I've heard of it. The Hallmark version?

I refer to the original Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale.

Haven't seen that one, though I've heard of it. The Hallmark version?

I refer to the original Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale.

Wikipedia says that Disney had been toying with the story off-and-on since the 1940s at least.

Another tidbit: Apparently the Hans Christian Anderson movie with Danny Kaye was originally supposed to be a joint venture with Disney to include animated scenes a la Mary Poppins; but it didn't work out and the production went forward without Disney involvement.