Why are you here?

The Folk Prophet

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything. Regardless, probably fun to revisit.

I am curious as to the reasons people participate in these forums.

Honesty, of course, is appreciated, but I understand if some don't admit to the reason being, for example, "I'm here to sabotage the church and undermine testimonies." :) Heheh.

No...seriously. Curious.

As for me:

• I'm always looking to stretch my intellect and responding to some things really makes me think.
  • I enjoy civil debate.
  • I want to involve myself in things that keep me close to the church and it's teachings.
  • I learn, grow, and discover new ways of looking at things.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally came to the forums to ask some questions about some concerns in my engagement (which have been resolved and we are married with a baby girl).

Stuck around because I like the posters, the forums are active but not overly busy (I don't like it when I can't keep up with threads) and I enjoy the range of topics and the positive LDS atmosphere.

I was merely a lurker in the LDS Gospel Discussions. I was studying scriptures and found a treasure trove of insights on here. But, to get the "New Posts" function, I had to sign up for a userid, so I did. Big mistake. Now, I'm all over the forum arguing with you. :D

I first found this before it was even a forum and it was only a chat site back in 1999. It was called ldstalk at the time. I had just gotten divorced and had just discovered the internet. I was looking for a place to chat with other LDS people.

Been here ever since. Now I'm the manager of the lds.net forums.

I've enjoyed the discussions. I've enjoyed most of the people and have met so many in person. I've developed some life long friendships. Palerider and BenRaines joined about the same time as me and to this day are all really good friends. Hard to believe this year will make it 15 years.

I was merely a lurker in the LDS Gospel Discussions. I was studying scriptures and found a treasure trove of insights on here. But, to get the "New Posts" function, I had to sign up for a userid, so I did. Big mistake. Now, I'm all over the forum arguing with you. :D

You couldn't have just used the Today's Posts function that appears if not logged in? (I do all the time because I never log in on my tablet). Maybe that's a newer feature.

You couldn't have just used the Today's Posts function that appears if not logged in? (I do all the time because I never log in on my tablet). Maybe that's a newer feature.

I'm usually not here daily. These past few weeks have been different because my husband is busy with NFL and I lost interest with NFL early in the season. So, it's either I go shoe shopping or go on lds.net. Lds.net is cheaper. :)

I'm here because a friend (Church) forced me to join. :lol:

Just kidding...but not really. ha!

I typically do not like to discuss religious stuff in person, though I do not rule out discussing moral things in person, which do contain gospel principles but I don't point out that they are related to gospel principles, if that makes sense.

It's also something new, and it's kinda cool. :)

Honesty, of course, is appreciated, but I understand if some don't admit to the reason being, for example, "I'm here to sabotage the church and undermine testimonies." :) Heheh.

No...seriously. Curious.

Assuming you're serious, I enjoy the discussions and think they're intelectually and spiritually stimulating and stregthening. I grew up in an area with very little LDS Church members, so the whole concept of a group of LDS members all in the same place with its unique culture and mores is still pretty novel to me.

If you really aren't serious (or if you don't believe what I put above), then bleegle blaargle bloo, I'm a person on the Internet, ta-da!

I am curious as to the reasons people participate in these forums.

I'm here to observe church culture in action. I have resigned from the church and I no longer get first-hand experience of the Mormon faith. I thought being on this forum would give me an insight into the current opinions and attitudes of my old ward members. I still hold on to a feeble hope that things in the church will change for the better, but I keep on getting deeply disappointed.

I probably should just close this account and "let it go".

Assuming you're serious, I enjoy the discussions and think they're intelectually and spiritually stimulating and stregthening. I grew up in an area with very little LDS Church members, so the whole concept of a group of LDS members all in the same place with its unique culture and mores is still pretty novel to me.

If you really aren't serious (or if you don't believe what I put above), then bleegle blaargle bloo, I'm a person on the Internet, ta-da!

Of course I'm serious. And why wouldn't I believe that. Seems like a perfectly reasonable, quality reason to me.

I'm here to observe church culture in action. I have resigned from the church and I no longer get first-hand experience of the Mormon faith. I thought being on this forum would give me an insight into the current opinions and attitudes of my old ward members. I still hold on to a feeble hope that things in the church will change for the better, but I keep on getting deeply disappointed.

I probably should just close this account and "let it go".

Honestly, I don't think these forums are a very good represent church culture in action.

Honestly, I don't think these forums are a very good represent church culture in action.

I have to agree. Such spirited (and controversial) discussions that happen here wouldn't happen in this way during the three-hour block on Sunday at church.

Our purpose in that area would be to help inspire others who have never been to church, or haven't been in a while, to go ahead and go to church and see things in person.