Christ vs Baal - what is the difference

Traveler

Some years ago I studied the epoch of Baal and was surprised and the similarities between Baal and Christ.  For example Baal was half man and half G-d.  Baal had power to heal sick and because he was given power over the elements was considered in control of the elements - able to bring storms or calm storms.  Interestingly Baal also had power to walk on water.

Baal also died trying to save mankind and was resurrected and was able to save all of mankind that believe in him.  Granted I have given only part of the story - as an intent to raise the question - what really is the difference in being a Christian that believes  in one of the many versions of Christ like doctrine or someone that believes in Baal?

One would think the obvious difference for any believer in Christ is this: Christ exists, Baal does not. Thus the difference in following Christ and following Baal is that the follower of Christ follows an extant being.

One would think the obvious difference for any believer in Christ is this: Christ exists, Baal does not. Thus the difference in following Christ and following Baal is that the follower of Christ follows an extant being.

What makes a deity not exist?

Because one group killed most of its practisioners?

Once upon a time thousands upon thousands prayed to Zeus, what suddenly made him not exist? Everything people felt he did for them- what did they think of that?

If I pray to Ishtar and she "answers" my prayers is that proof enough that she exists?

I am generally curious about that sort of thing, at what point does a God exist or not exist.

What makes a deity not exist?

It not being extant.

Because one group killed most of its practisioners?

Nope, if something exists killing those that believe in it/them doesn't make it no longer exist. Unless we're talking about existence as a social construct, but that's outside of the scope of my comments.

Once upon a time thousands upon thousands prayed to Zeus, what suddenly made him not exist?

Nothing suddenly made him not exist, he never existed. Not unless we're talking about as a social or cultural construct and that's outside of the scope of my comments.

If I pray to Ishtar and she "answers" my prayers is that proof enough that she exists?

Proof of existence is separate from existence. If Ishtar exists then Ishtar exists independent of any proof of Ishtar's existence and independent of anyone's believe in Ishtar's existence.

It not being extant.

Nope, if something exists killing those that believe in it/them doesn't make it no longer exist. Unless we're talking about existence as a social construct, but that's outside of the scope of my comments.

Nothing suddenly made him not exist, he never existed. Not unless we're talking about as a social or cultural construct and that's outside of the scope of my comments.

Proof of existence is separate from existence. If Ishtar exists then Ishtar exists independent of any proof of Ishtar's existence and independent of anyone's believe in Ishtar's existence.

Then what makes you so sure about Christ existing and Baal not existing?

Then what makes you so sure about Christ existing and Baal not existing?

Lakumi, you've been around these boards long enough to know the answer to such questions. Which means you're either incapable of learning or you enjoy feigning ignorance for some reason. I see little point in regurgitating to you things you've already been told repeatedly. At any rate my surety is quite irrelevant to the comments I made. My initial post presupposed the point of view of a believer in Christ, my response to you had nothing to do with the surety of belief of the existence of anything. 

From a Trinitarian perspective, Jesus is the Son of God.  Even within the LDS Godhead, He is within the One God.  We never say Jesus was 1/2 God 1/2 man.  He was fully God and fully human.  It is true that he willingly gave up his power, made himself a little lower than the angels--that his incarnation was an act of incredible humility.  Nevertheless, he never stopped being God.

Then too, consider the fruits of the two religions.  Christ's followers, at their best, brought literacy, hospitals, homeless shelters, food banks, etc.  I cannot speak for what Baal's followers produced, other than that the God of Israel commanded his children to avoid their spirituality like a plague.

Lakumi, you've been around these boards long enough to know the answer to such questions. Which means you're either you're either incapable of learning or you enjoy feigning ignorance for some reason.

Its about me wanting to hear your answer, your own.

I ask people these things to hear their opinion and ideas. It's how I feel I learn the best.

I always found Ba'al (Hadad) to be more related to Lucifer. Yam seems more similar to Christ, and Mot is (in my thinking) perhaps akin to Michael (Adam). With their father, El, akin to Elohim. I believe the similarities (the few there are) come from the truths passed down from Adam that were corrupted and twisted into these false gods.

Its about me wanting to hear your answer, your own.

I ask people these things to hear their opinion and ideas. It's how I feel I learn the best.

Baloney. You know exactly what our answers are and have been. They are always the same. and they will be the same from every believing LDS person. You know from whence our faith stems and exactly why we believe God exists and the LDS church is true. You raise these questions again and again to be confrontational, and it is useless to respond to them. You have clearly shown yourself decidedly unwilling to "learn".

Baloney. You know exactly what our answers are and have been. They are always the same. and they will be the same from every believing LDS person. You know from whence our faith stems and exactly why we believe God exists and the LDS church is true. You raise these questions again and again to be confrontational, and it is useless to respond to them. You have clearly shown yourself decidedly unwilling to "learn".

On the contrary, I have learned a lot.

There's more than one (several) Baals... So I'm not sure which one you mean?

As far a parallels to Christ... There are many many many deities, demigods, & heros that have both Jesus's pedigree as well as acts in life.

Horus immediately springs to mind (virgin birth, missing adolescence/young adulthood, same &/or similar miracles, crucified, rose from the dead), but there are quite a few others.

I have a more difficult time parsing Judaism, Christianity, & Islam, though, than any of the religions of Abraham compared to any other.

Q

Satan mimics truth.  There are similarities and truths in many things.  Having ALL truth is the key.  Baal  worship is not conducive in any way with Christianity.  One need simply look at the hedonism and child sacrifice encompassed by Baal worship to see the difference.

But as was said before, you already know where the LDS faithful (and Christians in general) are coming from.

[W]hat really is the difference in being a Christian that believes  in one of the many versions of Christ like doctrine or someone that believes in Baal?

This question is at the heart of your topic for discussion.  In answer to this question, I think it purposeful to begin with the Lord's statement, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me" (John 14:6).  We are also informed by the Lord, "And ye shall know truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).  If our conversation then stems from core doctrine, in other words becoming exalted beings receiving all the Father hath, then there isn't much difference between a belief in the many different versions of Christ, and a belief in Baal.  Either belief is not truth (or better said, does not contain the fullness of Christ's teachings), as such, neither has the power, efficacy, to exalt the sons and daughters of God -- because they lack the necessary keys, ordinances, power, to receive exaltation.  In essence, Judaism, would also be considered a version of a belief in Christ, save that he hasn't yet come -- they are looking forward to his first coming.  I believe this is the core.

In relation to my previous paragraph, we also must remember the Master's words to his disciples when they came to him saying, "Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us."

The Lord's response to John's honest declaration, although misguided, "Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.  For he that is not against us is on our part" (Mark 9: 38-40).  The Lord then continues to say that they shall not loose their reward.  What reward is the Lord referring that they shall not loose?  I don't know.

In this case, the belief in the many versions of Christ is more beneficial, more rewarding than a belief in Baal because they speak in reverence the name of Christ.  They still draw people to our Savior and bless, prosper, the sons and daughters of God.  In this case they are nothing alike.  One religion draws people toward Christ, while the other removes people from the Lord, and the Lord states those that serve in his name shall not loose their reward.  The comparison then would be apples to oranges.

Another question, induced by your question, what is the difference between members of the Church whose feet are well planted in Babylon, or a sincere individual with a belief in one of the many versions of Christianity, or someone who worships Baal? I would assume, someone who has a belief in the many versions of Christianity would be better off than a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for to whom much is given much is required..."

Some years ago I studied the epoch of Baal and was surprised and the similarities between Baal and Christ.  For example Baal was half man and half G-d.  Baal had power to heal sick and because he was given power over the elements was considered in control of the elements - able to bring storms or calm storms.  Interestingly Baal also had power to walk on water.

Baal also died trying to save mankind and was resurrected and was able to save all of mankind that believe in him.  Granted I have given only part of the story - as an intent to raise the question - what really is the difference in being a Christian that believes  in one of the many versions of Christ like doctrine or someone that believes in Baal?

main difference comes in what following other gods will cause you to do and all the extra stuff that gets thrown in or changed over time as well as only people who are called by god may be granted a portion of his authority. humanity tends not to invent things totally new but rather tends to spin something they already had. Adam and eve were taught about Christ as were anyone who God had called since then which is why the hero cycle is so ingrained and shows up over and over and over again throughout almost every mythos. You will find that there are many points that cross and paralell the principles of Christ in many cultures (which to me points to an original teaching of Christ/Savior/redeemer ).

to illustrate one of the differences between christ and baal is you worshipped baal by sacraficing a newborn or young infant by putting them into a glowing hot bronze statue... where as with Christ you sacrifice your pride, lusts, and wants to become like him.