Advice you wish you could give your former self

Sunday21

If you could go back in time and give yourself advice, what would you say?

People who encourage you to break the law of chastity should be shunned. You do not need to be polite to them.

You need to have daily scripture study and prayer even when you are really busy

Romantic partners who think they are better than others will eventually decide that they are better than you.

Pray before study sessions.

Make friends with the married women in the ward when you are a single adult. These ladies have a lot to teach you.

Before contemplating a degree look at the job ads to see what type of jobs are on offer and what they pay.

University professors have no idea about the job market

Stay close to Heavenly Father and discuss your fears with him.

Gaining weight can be life threatening and can cause irreparable damage.

Be polite to everyone, unless they are trying to lead you astray

Most extended warranties are a waste of money

Before you buy a house, count up all the little costs. Renting can often be cheaper.

Being cool or fashionable is a complete waste of time and money.

Try to get out of college/university with a degree that allows you to make money and allows you to move if necessary. It is hard to move if you are a cop or a teacher because you are moving from one union shop to another- at least in Canada.

If your bishop asks you to make a major change in your life, pray and get your own confirmation.

Go to the temple if you need to make a major decision

Having been a member all my life and growing up in a dysfunctional family...I would go back and encourage myself to pursue a College education.....I so wish I had and would love to be coaching high school sports somewhere.

If you live in a city... You still can!

Clearly, you could go back to school, and try to get in on the standard k12 track

OR

Homeschooling is facing explosive growth... And needs teachers.

Because most HS parents only teach SOME of the classes.

We farm out the rest.

Whether it's academic, physical, etc..

I got my neighbor (Stanford basketball, trying to get into highschool sports for over a decade, but it's practically impossible) involved in the local homeschool network a few years ago... And took her homeschooled varsity team to State (HS'ers in my state have a right to play on or compete against public school teams).

It's a market that is only just barely being tapped (or is completely untouched).

And HS students have serious time to devote to passions (at the highschool level it only takes about 2-3 months to complete a years worth of academic. So if you want to train your team 5-10 hours a day, you've got students who can actually meet that schedule).

Just a thought / something to look into.

Q

Not dating friends, because you don't want to ruin the friendship / they're too important to you, is stupid.

Your friends will date/marry someone and then you'll see them twice a year.

Pura Vida.

Just because you earned it, doesn't mean you have to spend it.

Get plastic surgery when young. Age a bit, and you'll need orthopedic & other structural surgeries, so the optional ones will be at the bottom of a long list.

Unless they're children, don't put other people's wants and needs ahead of your own.

You can only abandon kids & pets & casualties. Everyone else can (and SHOULD!) be able to take care of themselves.

Keep your resumè current & usable.

Boundaries.

Q

When I was in high school there was a beautiful and wonderful girl that had polio and was unable to walk without crutches – usually she was in a wheel chair.  I never thought at the time to ask her out to a dance because she could not dance.  If I could go back in time - I would tell my earlier self to ask her to the junior Prom; take her to be best (most expensive) restraint in Utah and make the evening special.  I did not run with the most popular crowd but one of the more popular crowds because they were such a good and fun bunch.  We all knew her and liked her but she never got asked by anyone to any dances.  We just never thought a girl that could not walk would even want to go to a dance.  Many years later I learned that she cried many times because guys like me never thought to ask her out to a dance.

I was so unpopular in school I never thought to ask anyone to any dances, they were pretty much off limits to my kind-no girls were sad that I never asked them out lol. Maybe they were in some way happy I never bothered them, I never tried to go out with anyone and kept to myself, even if they offered, because when the seldom time came, it was pity and I didn't want pity. I suppose I would just tell myself how awful life would be and not to let it hurt you as it did.

Unless they're children, don't put other people's wants and needs ahead of your own.

Q

I kind of have to disagree with this one.  There are many times the wants and needs of others have to take priority and consideration.

I've found that, so far in my life, all doors that haven't been open to me for whatever reason in the past have been for a very good reason. So far, everything I have desperately wanted, but couldn't have at some point in my past, a much better alternative becomes available at some point in the future. The most recent scenario I can think of that the above applies to is job related.

So I guess I'd tell myself that despite the disappointments I may be experiencing at that moment in time, it's probably because something better than that is coming up further down the line that I don't currently have any foresight of.

I've found that, so far in my life, all doors that haven't been open to me for whatever reason in the past have been for a very good reason. So far, everything I have desperately wanted, but couldn't have at some point in my past, a much better alternative becomes available at some point in the future. The most recent scenario I can think of that the above applies to is job related.

So I guess I'd tell myself that despite the disappointments I may be experiencing at that moment in time, it's probably because something better than that is coming up further down the line that I don't currently have any foresight of.

If only I could learn to think like this!

Personally I would just be a little kinda to myself. I like the path I'm on and I don't have any problems with the road I have travelled to get here. But during the tough, rough and difficult times I would like to have reminded myself to be a little more patient and long suffering to myself and perhaps others.

Personally I would just be a little kinda to myself. I like the path I'm on and I don't have any problems with the road I have travelled to get here. But during the tough, rough and difficult times I would like to have reminded myself to be a little more patient and long suffering to myself and perhaps others.

I will always remember President Hinckley always encouraging us to be a little kinder a little nicer at the end of his talks at General Conference.

Nothing I would say to my younger self would've mattered. I knew what I wanted and I was set on getting it my own way... I wouldn't have listened to me....

Which is fine. There's not much I did that I would want to change anyway...

When my spouse did something that was hurtful to me, Instead of sweeping the hurts and misunderstandings under the rug, talk about them.  Don't be afraid to rock the boat. Or, to go along with that, in order to avoid the deep hurts during my marriage, when I meet my future spouse, run as fast as you can and don't look back. Those red flags you saw, they were there for a reason.

I don't want anyone to think by my above comments that I have an abusive spouse. He just brought a lot of baggage from his former marriage, and I wasn't prepared to handle it. Still can't handle a lot of it.

To ourselves or others?

Both is important

" we are to love our neighbours AS OURSELVES.

I know some people would have to continually verbally tell their neighbours off for being no good, worthless, hopeless, useless and many other things multiple times a day if they were to treat their neighbour as themselves. Surely it's as important to love and respect ourselves also.