Favorite way to save money?

Sunday21

For me a great way to save money is to bring a lunch not buy it

Would you like to know my *least* favorite way to save money.  OK, I'll tell you.  It's when I buy something and the the cashier hands me the receipt, and tells me how much money I just saved.  :)

In the last few years, ever since I've had my daughter, my favourite way to save money is buying secondhand. I'm picky but I'll buy preowned apparel (tee shirts, jeans) and toys, basically, things that can easily be sanitised by washing or disinfecting. Why this is my favourite way to save is because yard sale-ing and thrift shops can be so much fun!

In the last few years, ever since I've had my daughter, my favourite way to save money is buying secondhand. I'm picky but I'll buy preowned apparel (tee shirts, jeans) and toys, basically, things that can easily be sanitised by washing or disinfecting. Why this is my favourite way to save is because yard sale-ing and thrift shops can be so much fun!

One of my daughters does the exact same thing. She has found some really nice clothing

Television taught me at a young age that by buying a Toyota, I would be faced with the question: What will I do with all the money I save? So I'd have to say that buying a Toyota is my favorite way to save money. Sadly, I have never actually bought a Toyota, which probably accounts for my dismal financial state.

Buying the good stuff. As I get older, I find I save money by paying a bit more initially for stuff that goes further.

I'm pretty good at bringing a lunch to work, but buying out can be tempting. My school is literally surrounded by restaurants (and the Bishop's storehouse) including my favorite Thai place. But if I don't bring a lunch I can talk myself into spending a quarter on a peanut butter sandwich from the cafeteria--I happen to love pbj.

Buying the good stuff. As I get older, I find I save money by paying a bit more initially for stuff that goes further.

I'm pretty good at bringing a lunch to work, but buying out can be tempting. My school is literally surrounded by restaurants (and the Bishop's storehouse) including my favorite Thai place. But if I don't bring a lunch I can talk myself into spending a quarter on a peanut butter sandwich from the cafeteria--I happen to love pbj.

Except, as a first time mama, buying "the good stuff" really just puts a damper on the wallet. I totally fell into that trap. Bought everything brand new for my first child. Silly because she outgrew it so dang fast. Otherwise, yes, I agree - for myself - I spend waaay too much money on "the good stuff" lol. (Shoes and bags are my weakness but since I'm vegan, I don't buy anything leather or animal fur, so I actually save on that.)

We've saved the most money since we stopped having any. Not my favorite, though.

I thrift shop for most of our clothes. The rest are clearance racks. I can't stomach paying full price for an item of clothing.

I save by not letting my husband know how much I am saving. LOL

He knows that I "tuck" money away...and he never asks how much I have put away. He is a BIG spender... I am not. So, he trust me to save.

Last time he needed to have his truck fixed and it cost a over $2,000... I just handed him the money. :)

I don't buy things I don't need.

I always tuck away at least 5% of our income away. Never miss it.

Have the bank transfer over $50 a month into a special savings and don't touch. You would be surprised how quickly it adds up.

We have a car that gets about 39 mpg... we do a lot of traveling so we needed a car like that so we are able to save in gas.

Shop sales.

GEICO get the multi-car and good drivers discounts.

I pray before I spend any money from savings or that I have tucked away to see if it's something I really need to spend on.

But, first and foremost... pay tithing no matter what. I learned that a long time ago if I pay my tithing my money goes a lot farther than when I didn't pay tithing. The Lord's blessings.

Lots of ways to save. Put your mind to it and just do it!

We've saved the most money since we stopped having any. Not my favorite, though.

I thrift shop for most of our clothes. The rest are clearance racks. I can't stomach paying full price for an item of clothing.

I have found some really good clothes at DI.  I've even found some that still had the tags on them.  The one thing I will NOT purchase 2nd hand is shoes.  I just can't bring myself to wear shoes that someone else has worn.

Still love PBJ sandwiches. It has to be good peanut butter.

We don't get fancy cars, either. Safe and reliable are the important things. 

We used to save money by crashing on people's couches on vacation. Now we're too old and have too many kids for that nonsense. We're hoping to buy a little pop-up camper, so that we can vacation more but not have to pay for hotel rooms. We also really like to camp but don't like tent camping as much as we used to.

I dated a guy whose objective was to never spend money. He did this by mooching off of other people or getting them to pay for things. I never liked that. (Sort of ironically, he's now a pretty successful financial analyst or somesuch.)

Except, as a first time mama, buying "the good stuff" really just puts a damper on the wallet. I totally fell into that trap. Bought everything brand new for my first child. Silly because she outgrew it so dang fast. Otherwise, yes, I agree - for myself - I spend waaay too much money on "the good stuff" lol. (Shoes and bags are my weakness but since I'm vegan, I don't buy anything leather or animal fur, so I actually save on that.)

I received so many clothes from my baby showers that buying stuff was mostly optional. Very nice. Now we are having another girl, so I'm hoping to reuse clothes despite opposite birth seasons. My toddler has always been a teeny thing, so hopefully her clothes will work.

I am actually terrible about buying clothes for myself. I usually wait until I find myself despairing of wardrobe issues. I really like clothes, it's not an anti-fashion thing--I just fail to get out and buy them. Which saves money.

My good stuff tends to be the good laundry soap, dish detergent, garbage bags, toilet paper, etc. I feel I get more bang for my buck, and I always look for a sale or coupon.

I'm taking a week vacation and traveling into Washington and Oregon next week.  I dislike with a passion staying with people.  I much prefer staying in a hotel so I have my own privacy and all.  I don't have a good sleep schedule or pattern so find myself up quite often in the middle of the night.  But decided to take up on all of the offers of my cousins to stay with them in each place I go since money is a bit tighter this time.  And the fact that I have to save up to pay a deductible to have surgery.   :(   

I know how that is. Next time we go to Washington we'll stay at my brother's house. Thankfully he has a bedroom for us and lots of couches. 

If you're going to be stopping in my neighborhood, give me a shout. 

I know how that is. Next time we go to Washington we'll stay at my brother's house. Thankfully he has a bedroom for us and lots of couches. 

If you're going to be stopping in my neighborhood, give me a shout. 

Probably not on the way up. No idea on the way back.  I have to make it up to Spokane the first day and that's with a stop in La Grande, OR to visit with friends for a bit first.