The three steeples in front of many wards, does it represent the Godhead?

jerome1232

I'm just curious if there is any specific symbolism attached to them. I've never heard of there being any.

They seem to always be placed at a road facing entrance that is never actually used by members. Sometimes I wonder if anyone even knows they are there. :P 

That wasn't as bad as a nutcase thread I ran into during my googling. Dude was convinced the three steeples placed on the ground meant the church was an abomination built in top of another church or something. He had a real case of self grandeur.

Where I live all we have is the three steeples in the ground. It seems this is less common on older churches throughout Utah?

Most the churches I know of are 1 steeple churches. but generally with LDS, 3 is the number of the Godhead which would be the prime three, and then you have 3 degrees of glory which constitute the whole of heaven. then you have 3 divisions in the greater and and lesser priesthoods, then you also have 3 in the leaderships- the leader and 2 counselors. Plus all the 3 day events that happen in the scriptures. the numbers 7 and 12 would probably be close behind.

so 3 is a good or godly symbol i'd say.

Well that article was long and negative. 

Still it is interesting to me to read about the topic. I think I even saw an old photograph of the building where I currently worship. I like steeples, but the only symbolism that does much for me is that a steeple pretty much lets me know the building is supposed to be a church. I've worshiped in some pretty austere places and I like simplicity.  But don't get me wrong--I appreciate the beauty and the emotions and the work that people put into their churches (as long as the ones who did the hard work don't get prevented from worshipping there.)

We have such a steeple in Jonesboro, GA, one of our older buildings.

I was told that there was no symbolism here.  In fact, it was somewhat embarrassing because people keep asking about it.  Putting a steeple on the building is very expensive, and probably was an attempt to save money.

Edited by cdowis

I went to pre-school at a non-denominational Christian church in California, and out in front on the lawn they had a triad of crosses of varying heights that were probably as tall as the sanctuary of the church itself.  So, when our stake center was built in 1987 with a triad of free-standing steeples of varying heights out front, I didn't read any particular symbolism in it--I just figured it was an aesthetic thing.

Interestingly, in the last 10 years they removed the free-standing steeples and plopped one of those fiberglass cupola-steeple-thingies on the roof of the stake center itself.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I have no idea what 3 steeples this thread is about.  But JAG's post seems to imply that there were free standing steeples??? 

I've never seen them in Indiana.  Is it a California thing?

I'm feeling unobservant at the moment, because I haven't noticed these steeples either. They obviously don't stand out to me, because I served a mission taking in parts of Utah, Wyoming and Idaho, and live in Canada and can't say I remember ever seeing them.... so they're probably on the building I attend :)

I have no idea what 3 steeples this thread is about.  But JAG's post seems to imply that there were free standing steeples??? 

I've never seen them in Indiana.  Is it a California thing?

If you don't mind sending web traffic to Sunstone, look at Fig 23 in the article Pam linked to.  :)

Used to have them down here in Texas, where they doubled as lightning rods for the buildings due to all of the storm activity we can have during the year. 

Sadly, someone took them down in favor of the faux steeples. 

We've been paying the price ever since, as the contractors who were brought in to mount the steeple on the chapel I go to botched the job; every time we get a hard enough rain, we risk having the roof leak.