Patriarchal blessings

Edspringer

Hi, there

Greetings from Brazil!

Though I'm new posting here, i've already been reading a lot of cool and useful stuff. I'd like to thank all of you who post questions and replies.

I got a doubt about patriarchal blessings and the tribes usually assigned to the recipient.

For what I know, Ephrain, Joseph, Manasseh and Judah are the most common tribes to which one recipient is assigned to (by bloodline or adption). My doubts are:

1) what are the roles to be played by each of these tribes in the gathering of Israel;

2) are there other tribes to which people have been assigned to besides the ones I mentioned above?

I've personally known people from five different tribes.  I even had one companion on my mission who was not told in his blessing what tribe he was from.

"From what I've been told", there have been blessings given that now constitute someone from each tribe.

1) what are the roles to be played by each of these tribes in the gathering of Israel

The only two tribes I am aware of regarding roles is that of Manasseh and Ephraim.  One of their roles is to be missionaries. They are to bring the gospel to the rest of the world which is currently being fulfilled. At some point a specific number from each tribe will be apart of a general assembly, I believe this is regarding the 144K mentioned in scriptures who have been sealed.

Judah we know to be the covenant people of the Lord. They will fill a role regarding Old Jerusalem, I believe along with Benjamin.

In time, more knowledge will be revealed, we will wait until then.

2) are there other tribes to which people have been assigned to besides the ones I mentioned above?

I am aware of six tribes that have been named.

You mention doubts, yet what you specify as doubts are actual questions, what exactly is your doubt?

1) what are the roles to be played by each of these tribes in the gathering of Israel

The only two tribes I am aware of regarding roles is that of Manasseh and Ephraim.  One of their roles is to be missionaries. They are to bring the gospel to the rest of the world which is currently being fulfilled. At some point a specific number from each tribe will be apart of a general assembly, I believe this is regarding the 144K mentioned in scriptures who have been sealed.

Judah we know to be the covenant people of the Lord. They will fill a role regarding Old Jerusalem, I believe along with Benjamin.

In time, more knowledge will be revealed, we will wait until then.

I am aware of six tribes that have been named.

You mention doubts, yet what you specify as doubts are actual questions, what exactly is your doubt?

Well, actually I had these two questions I was thinking about. Thanx for replying.

I have a student of mine here in Brazil and she belongs to the tribe of Judah and she doesn't know much about what is required from her tribe. I'd like to help her find information on that subject, though

The covenants made by everyone in the waters of baptism and the temples of God are the same, no matter what tribe one belongs to. Her role is the same as all who take Christ's name upon themselves.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

14 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The covenants made by everyone in the waters of baptism and the temples of God are the same, no matter what tribe one belongs to. Her role is the same as all who take Christ's name upon themselves.

I agree with you

My student's concern was more about the role of her tribe in the gathering of Israel. 

Thanx for replying

On Sunday, April 03, 2016 at 8:36 AM, Edspringer said:

Hi, there

Greetings from Brazil!

Though I'm new posting here, i've already been reading a lot of cool and useful stuff. I'd like to thank all of you who post questions and replies.

I got a doubt about patriarchal blessings and the tribes usually assigned to the recipient.

For what I know, Ephrain, Joseph, Manasseh and Judah are the most common tribes to which one recipient is assigned to (by bloodline or adption). My doubts are:

1) what are the roles to be played by each of these tribes in the gathering of Israel;

First off there officially is not a tribe of Joseph - but rather the tribe of Joseph was devided between Ephrain and Manasseh - the greater role given to Ephrain.   When we speak of roles this is not exclusive in that others may be called to help on and individual basis.  There are many scriptures that give these roles - the life of Joseph and given as epoch in the scriptures and his relationship to his brothers is the type and shadow of the role.

The Traveler

18 minutes ago, Traveler said:

First off there officially is not a tribe of Joseph - but rather the tribe of Joseph was devided between Ephrain and Manasseh - the greater role given to Ephrain.   When we speak of roles this is not exclusive in that others may be called to help on and individual basis.  There are many scriptures that give these roles - the life of Joseph and given as epoch in the scriptures and his relationship to his brothers is the type and shadow of the role.

The Traveler

Thanx for replying

Curiously, I once came across someone who is from the tribe of Joseph, according to his patriarchal blessing. 

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

First off there officially is not a tribe of Joseph - but rather the tribe of Joseph was devided between Ephrain and Manasseh - the greater role given to Ephrain.

2 hours ago, Edspringer said:

Curiously, I once came across someone who is from the tribe of Joseph, according to his patriarchal blessing. 

Edspringer is correct. My father was of the tribe of Joseph. It is a tribe separate and distinct from Manassah and Ephraim.

8 hours ago, Vort said:

Edspringer is correct. My father was of the tribe of Joseph. It is a tribe separate and distinct from Manassah and Ephraim.

Vort, can you expound on this? i always thought the tribe of Joseph was split into Manassah and Ephraim. Thanks.

25 minutes ago, classylady said:

Vort, can you expound on this? i always thought the tribe of Joseph was split into Manassah and Ephraim. Thanks.

When my dad got his patriarchal blessing, he was disappointed to hear that he was from the tribe of "Joseph". He never said anything about it or asked the patriarch, but felt that he just was not important enough even to be sorted into Ephraim or Manassah. It was not until he served a second mission with my mother that he befriended a stake patriarch, who told him in no uncertain terms that Joseph was its own tribe, separate from both Ephraim and Manassah, and that he was not forgotten or unimportant.

The original twelve tribes of Israel were, of course, Israel's (Jacob's) twelve sons: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, and Benjamin. In divvying up the land later on, Levi (whose descendants were the priests) was not given a specific inheritance, instead having inheritance among the other tribes. To make twelve tribes, Joseph was given a double inheritance, one for Ephraim and one for Manassah. So the twelve tribes for purposes of land inheritance were Reuben, Simeon, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph 1 (Ephraim), Joseph 2 (Manassah), and Benjamin.

For the purposes of patriarchal blessings, I have assumed (so that means that the following is probably wrong :cool:) that Reuben and Simeon were dropped because of their treachery and murder of Hamor and Shechem and their people. This left the other ten sons, plus Joseph's two sons, making twelve again; that is, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, Ephraim, Manassah, and Benjamin.

I'm sure a stake patriarch could clear this right up. Anyone know one?

Edited by Vort

On 4/3/2016 at 8:36 AM, Edspringer said:

1. Only the most awesome missionary force in the world!!! 12,000 from each tribe except for Dan!

"And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel." (Revelation 7:4)

As the saying goes, "you ain't seen nothing yet!" We are headed for some really ugly times really soon. Out of the furnace of affliction will come forth the Lord's people with great faith and sanctification unlike you've ever seen in your lifetime. There will be 144,000 of these warriors that will go where Jesus leads them for the second gathering. These 144,000 are going to be the ones that take the gospel to those that behead Christians and to remote regions of the world. They will be the ones making sure that every person has had the gospel preached to them in such faith and power that it cannot be denied, just as Nephi of the twelve did:

"And it came to pass that they were angry with him, even because he had greater power than they, for it were not possible that they could disbelieve his words, for so great was his faith on the Lord Jesus Christ that angels did minister unto him daily." (3 Nephi 7:18) 

This is a required prerequisite before the Second Coming.

2. All tribes are accounted for.

8 hours ago, classylady said:

7 hours ago, Vort said:

When my dad got his patriarchal blessing, he was disappointed to hear that he was from the tribe of "Joseph". He never said anything about it or asked the patriarch, but felt that he just was not important enough even to be sorted into Ephraim or Manassah. It was not until he served a second mission with my mother that he befriended a stake patriarch, who told him in no uncertain terms that Joseph was its own tribe, separate from both Ephraim and Manassah, and that he was not forgotten or unimportant.

The original twelve tribes of Israel were, of course, Israel's (Jacob's) twelve sons: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, and Benjamin. In divvying up the land later on, Levi (whose descendants were the priests) was not given a specific inheritance, instead having inheritance among the other tribes. To make twelve tribes, Joseph was given a double inheritance, one for Ephraim and one for Manassah. So the twelve tribes for purposes of land inheritance were Reuben, Simeon, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph 1 (Ephraim), Joseph 2 (Manassah), and Benjamin.

For the purposes of patriarchal blessings, I have assumed (so that means that the following is probably wrong :cool:) that Reuben and Simeon were dropped because of their treachery and murder of Hamor and Shechem and their people. This left the other ten sons, plus Joseph's two sons, making twelve again; that is, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, Ephraim, Manassah, and Benjamin.

I'm sure a stake patriarch could clear this right up. Anyone know one?

By fluke, JST, Genesis 48:5–11 was part of my scripture study this morning.  Verses 5 and 6 give us a clue, I think (this is Jacob, talking to Joseph) (bold bits are mine):

5 And now, of thy two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which were born unto thee in the land of Egypt, before I came unto thee into Egypt; behold, they are mine, and the God of my fathers shall bless them; even as Reuben and Simeon they shall be blessed, for they are mine; wherefore they shall be called after my name. (Therefore they were called Israel.)

6 And thy issue which thou begettest after them, shall be thine, and shall be called after the name of their brethren in their inheritance, in the tribes; therefore they were called the tribes of Manasseh and of Ephraim.

I expect that if you're descended from Ephraim, that's your tribe; if you're descended from Manasseh, that's your tribe; and if you're descended from another of Joseph's children, Joseph is your tribe

Edit to add: And if one can be descended from a tribe, another can be adopted into it.

That's my suspicion, FWIW.

Edited by zil

I just received a copy of my parents' blessings. My father is of Ephraim, as am I and all of my brothers and sisters. My mother's "lineage [is] of the House of Israel, which line of descent has been guarded through many generations and has finally given [her] place and standing in this last dispensation among the children of God. [She has] an honorable heritage, a worthy name to honor, and a record to make in upholding the honorable name that is [hers]; …"

My Jacquie's lineage is also more general than one of the tribes (her grandfather was the patriarch, so it's not a question of an oversight). One wonders how I ended up with two women whose lines are "different".

Lehi