Watching General Conference in online virtual world Second Life

NeuroTypical

Anyone know about the online virtual world Second Life?  I've never played it.  Apparently there's a server named Adam-ondi-Ahman full of LDS players and content.  And, apparently, from the pictures I found today in my Facebook feed, they were showing General Conference in the online version of the tabernacle.

I thought it was interesting that folks create an online version of themselves and walk (or fly) into a virtual tabernacle and watch GC.

GeneralConfereceSecondLife.jpg

GeneralConfereceSecondLifePony.jpg

LOL.... but considering all the crap that happens in virtual realms this is actually probably one of the better venues one can find.

If one is going to play a game, might as well as have something good in it.

PS. this does not mean i'm endorsing it.

Edited by Blackmarch

I've never played Second Life, but I'm told it has a huge population of R and X rated areas.  Glad to see it allows for this stuff too.  

For that matter, the internet from the mid-90's until recently, I'd probably say had a horrible smut to sacred ratio - and yet, here we are.

51 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've never played Second Life, but I'm told it has a huge population of R and X rated areas.  Glad to see it allows for this stuff too.  

For that matter, the internet from the mid-90's until recently, I'd probably say had a horrible smut to sacred ratio - and yet, here we are.

Yeah; if you can prove that you're an adult and you have your ratings set just so, then you can have your avatar go "50 Shades" on someone or have someone go "50 Shades" on you. 

About a decade back I was looking up something for other and found where someone took a character from a popular fiction series, used that as the basis for their Second Life avatar, and then took screen caps of their avatar having things done to them. 

That's why I was very surprised when I learned that some businesses were looking to use Second Life as a source of virtual meeting rooms for people who were scattered geographically. 

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Why is the DC temple by the SL tabernacle?

Answer 1: Because whoever made this thing did it in their spare time, probably with a less-than-professional skillset, for free.

Answer 2: You'll have to ask the flying horse.

Answer 3: You'll also notice the Great Salt Lake is in plain view, lending evidence to that old anti claim of virgins jumping from the spires of the temple and swimming to safety.

37 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

lending evidence to that old anti claim of virgins jumping from the spires of the temple and swimming to safety.

Too bad there are so many easily-accessible to-scale maps around to kill all their joy. 

On 4/4/2016 at 2:48 PM, NeuroTypical said:

The "game" is used for all sorts of venues. depends on who's hosting what server or world. It's a decent way to host an online live classroom.