After a date, you are at the door, then what?? Dating 101

NeedleinA

18 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yeah, how to handle drunk people may be a totally appropriate topic, but hopefully not related to the OP's plan on giving a talk to the YM/YW. :lol:

Hopefully, sure...assuming you're taking "hope" as the future tense of "disappointment."

Between the YSAs and the SAs. I've found that only dating LDS women isn't nearly as effective of a shield against having to deal with a drunk date as one might expect.  :mad:

37 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Be careful doing that to drunk women.

A former coworker never let me forget the night I asked his very drunk at-the-time-fiance if she was expecting a good night kiss after helping her to the car.

Fortunately, the chocolate got the taste of cheap girly drinks out of my mouth, but he was more offended at having wet his pants laughing at my reaction than he was at her being drunk enough to try to lick my tonsils.

Nasty nasty nasty nasty nasty.

16 minutes ago, Vort said:

Nasty nasty nasty nasty nasty.

Yes, I just can't stand being kissed by shapely, gorgeous redheads.  It was awful.

(He swore he could read the entire range of my thoughts on my face as it progressed from "What the..." to "well, he's either going to kick my butt for this or not, so I'm going to make the most of it, even if she does taste like some odd mix of Zima and wine coolers.")

On 4/11/2016 at 9:05 AM, anatess2 said:

Well... I'm on the "Teen-age Dating is stupid" camp.  I'm glad my two sons agree with me.  For now.

Teenage one-on-one dating is stupid... or at least unwise.  Better in "group-dates" where they can all be together and socialize without as much potential awkwardness and other pitfalls.  Kids don't need to be making strong attachments that might cloud their judgement and hugely impact their future/potential in negative ways.  Whether that means kissing or not, or HOW to kiss and how not to kiss.... opinions vary ... Hugs I think are generally safe so long as they're the traditional friendship hugs, standing-up hugs... anything else is probably not a friendship hug if there's lounging around or wandering hands also in play.

We did in fact teach the dating class the other night, along with two other couples. Everything went great and the youth appeared to enjoy themselves. At the end was a Q&A session. One of the questions we all got asked was: "So, is it okay to date people who are not members?"

You could feel a sudden collective gasp from everyone in the room, youth, leaders and other panelist. After about 20 seconds of silence and no other panelist piping up, my wife goes "Yes, Bro. Needle and I dated when we were 16 and I was not a member". 

The Youth Leaders gave off a look like we had just unraveled all their hard work or told the youth something contrary to "Mormon" belief. I did step in and mention, "Yes, it is true, Sister Needle was not a member, but she pretty much lived like and had the standards of one". 

I could almost see the leaders wiping the sweat from the foreheads in relief that I added the last part. 
It was a fun time. Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and comments!

17 hours ago, theSQUIDSTER said:

Teenage one-on-one dating is stupid... or at least unwise.  Better in "group-dates" where they can all be together and socialize without as much potential awkwardness and other pitfalls.  Kids don't need to be making strong attachments that might cloud their judgement and hugely impact their future/potential in negative ways.  Whether that means kissing or not, or HOW to kiss and how not to kiss.... opinions vary ... Hugs I think are generally safe so long as they're the traditional friendship hugs, standing-up hugs... anything else is probably not a friendship hug if there's lounging around or wandering hands also in play.

Let me rephrase that...

Having a girlfriend/boyfriend as a teenager is stupid.

What's the difference between a girlfriend and a friend who is a girl?  1.) You get license for physical displays of affection.  Uhm...  can you say Trouble with a capital T?  2.) You get limits on who else you can hang out with (you can't hang out with Sally, you're my boyfriend!)... you're young!  Why limit yourself?  3.)  You get roped into spending lots of money.  (It's Valentine's, Monthsary of our first date, Easter, Christmas, New Year... You have to buy me a present!  I'm your girlfriend!)... if you have your own money that you didn't swipe off your mother's wallet, you're better off putting that money on... say... a mission fund than feeling obligated to spend it on some girl that you're going to have to leave to go on a mission.

So, what's a date?  Trying out a girlfriend.  Guess what, you get more mileage with the "getting to know ya's" by being friends with every single girl you meet and "taking them all out to a ballgame".... all together.  You'll get to know more girls, you won't need to be heartbroken, and you'll have a better chance of making it to the temple with your virginity intact.

And you won't have to worry about what to do at the door...

Edited by anatess2