Where do Mormons stand on moral issues?

pam

Did they track down every inactive Mormon and only ask them?  If not, if those numbers are what "active" Mormons really think, the world cannot end soon enough*. </sigh>

Of course, I'm not terribly impressed with their polling methods: "For results based on the total sample of 295 Mormons, the margin of sampling error is ±7 percentage points at the 95% confidence level."  Apparently they could only track down 295 of us.  I wonder where they found them...

*Full disclosure - I tend to think this surprisingly often, even without the poll, so that thought probably doesn't mean a lot. :)

2 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

what specifically surprises you so much that you want the world to end sooner rather than later

Surprise is the wrong world.  Disappoint would be more accurate.  Of course, once I read how few participants there were in the survey, I decided it probably wasn't all that accurate anyway.  As for wanting the world to end - you do know what that phrase means in scripture, do you not?  It means an end to the wicked.  How could I not want that sooner than later?  Reading Hugh Nibley's Approaching Zion makes me both want the millennium to start right now, and recognize that I am so not ready for it.  Nonetheless, "Thy Kingdom come" seems like a good thing to pray for - I think there's even scripture telling us to pray for it.

I was most surprised by the 29% of Mormons believed it was fine to have premarital intercourse.

Other data could be obtained depending on how the question was raised or the respondent took it.  Divorce is not something we want to do.  And it is to be avoided.  But if you're in an abusive situation, or [fill in the blank] there are justifications -- therefore not morally objectionable. 

Yes, just whom did they poll?

10 hours ago, pam said:

An article on lds.net regarding the new gallop poll results regarding morality issues:

http://lds.net/blog/buzz/gallup-mormons-moral-issues/

Do any of them surprise you?

Seems to get a decent enough gist of things for me.. Or at least the quoted portion did.

59 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I was most surprised by the 29% of Mormons believed it was fine to have premarital intercourse.

Other data could be obtained depending on how the question was raised or the respondent took it.  Divorce is not something we want to do.  And it is to be avoided.  But if you're in an abusive situation, or [fill in the blank] there are justifications -- therefore not morally objectionable. 

Yes, just whom did they poll?

A lot of people who had premarital intercourse.  ;)

7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

A lot of people who had premarital intercourse.  ;)

It's worse than that.  Many make mistakes.  But 29% thought there was nothing wrong with it?

Without knowing exactly how the questions were phrased, it's impossible to properly interpret any poll like this.

After all, one could ask "is it acceptable to kill an unarmed Japanese man if he's raping your child" and use the results to show that Mormons overwhelmingly support genocide of Asians.

13 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Also lds leaders do not condemn abortion in all circumstances. In situations of incest and rape, abortion is acceptable. Hopefully no lds people are picketing abortion clinics.

"Acceptable" is not the same thing as "counseled" or "encouraged". It's rather much the contrary. While "acceptable", it is counseled to be a matter of prayer and discussion with her bishop.

And why would it be a matter of hope that LDSs would not picket abortuaries? Do we lose our right to express our opinions because of our religious affiliations and beliefs?

Lehi

5 hours ago, LeSellers said:

"Acceptable" is not the same thing as "counseled" or "encouraged". It's rather much the contrary. While "acceptable", it is counseled to be a matter of prayer and discussion with her bishop.

And why would it be a matter of hope that LDSs would not picket abortuaries? Do we lose our right to express our opinions because of our religious affiliations and beliefs?

Lehi

I would hope that lds are above mobacracy. That and marches more often than not are ineffectual and make one look like a bigoted idiot, and the chances for violence tend to be higher at such events. As with any tool, such as freedom of speech. there are good and bad ways to use it.

7 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

That and marches more often than not are ineffectual and make one look like a bigoted idiot

Anything we do to stand for morality makes us "look like bigoted idiots" to those who want immorality to be the "standard" of the world.

So, how do we express the moral position abortion-is-evil without offending the world? (Hint: we can't.) And are we not here to offend the world?

Lehi

Just now, LeSellers said:

Anything we do to stand for morality makes us "look like bigoted idiots" to those who want immorality to be the "standard" of the world.

So, how do we express the moral position abortion-is-evil without offending the world? (Hint: we can't.) And are we not here to offend the world?

Lehi

touche.

20 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

I would hope that lds are above mobacracy. That and marches more often than not are ineffectual and make one look like a bigoted idiot, and the chances for violence tend to be higher at such events. As with any tool, such as freedom of speech. there are good and bad ways to use it.

12 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Lehi

What you're saying is true...but it misses the point and uses a logical fallacy (I give up trying to keep them straight...so I'm just going with a generic -- it don't follow)...The fact that standing for morality makes one look like a bigoted idiot to the standard of the world does not mean that we shouldn't do our best to not look like bigoted idiots, nor does it address the broader point -- there are, indeed, good and bad ways to use tools. Or if not good and bad, at least more or less effectual. ;)

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Guest MormonGator
21 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

As with any tool, such as freedom of speech. there are good and bad ways to use it.

Oh my goodness this is so true.