I have a temple prep question, if it's ok to ask it.  

Where in the temple may I write?

I'm an avid journal-er, partially because my memory is simple gone nowadays, and I don't want to forget my first trip to the temple... I don't want that memory to be gone.  Additionally, the written word is how I pray: how I distill my thoughts for Heavenly Father and the medium through which I listen to the still small reply.  I... I don't want to be banned from writing.

I've never heard of someone doing this, but it makes total sense to record impressions of the Spirit while they are fresh.

I would think in the interior lobby area where people wait for companions after a session would be an appropriate place. You could also ask the temple staff, and explain why you want to write. Of course you might just go out to your car.

Edited by tesuji

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

I don't want to be banned from writing.

Having reached a "certain age" myself I understand why you'd want to write your experiences in the Temple. You may think it offensive that we even mention there are things you ought not write down at all: names, parts of the ceremony, and so on, but for general information, I just did.

I have never heard of anyone's writing in the Temple. I have never seen anyone writing in the Temple. I do not know if it's forbidden, but I do think it's not encouraged — certainly, no one's ever suggested I do it.

If you are recording your inspirations and your feelings, and your insights from the experience, there seems to be no reason not to make your own record. There does not seem to be any reason, either, to do it in the sacred precincts.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

2 hours ago, LeSellers said:

If you are recording your inspirations and your feelings, and your insights from the experience, there seems to be no reason not to make your own record. There does not seem to be any reason, either, to do it in the sacred precincts.

Why not record sacred inspirations in sacred places?  Especially considering my house is a 3 hour traffic jam away (ain't nothing sacred about that).

I... I just don't see why this is a problem- are we not commanded to remember remember?

Edited by Jane_Doe

I see nothing wrong with sitting in the temple foyer after your session and recording your thoughts and impressions. I think that would be wonderful. Maybe it's even worthwhile to take your journal into the locker room and sit there afterward and write, though somehow that doesn't really feel right. Taking your journal with you into the chapel and on into the endowment presentation itself (or the washing and anointing) seems inappropriate. I would strongly counsel against it.

I have no authority, but there are my thoughts.

I just don't see why this is a problem

I've been wrong twice before this morning, so making another mistake wouldn't be unprecedented. The only thing I can refer to is the fact that it's not recommended. We do hear about keeping journals and other records. We do not hear about this.

It may be only that it could lead to making inappropriate entries. We don't talk about any of the details from the ceremonies, but there are people who have made unauthorized recordings (written and otherwise). It may be that we shouldn't do it just to avoid the appearance of this kind of thing. Dunno.

Lehi

Several temples I've been to have a sitting area in the gardens of the temple where we're actually encouraged to sit, ponder, and write in our journals.  I would think that would be a prime location to do some journal - ing.  But there's always the weather to deal with.

Wait, you're in Wyoming.  Weather shouldn't be an issue for you.  Are you closer to Star Valley or Denver?  Both temples are usually very temperate and have beautiful gardens/grounds.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Several temples I've been to have a sitting area in the gardens of the temple where we're actually encouraged to sit, ponder, and write in our journals.  I would think that would be a prime location to do some journal - ing.  But there's always the weather to deal with.

Wait, you're in Wyoming.  Weather shouldn't be an issue for you.  Are you closer to Star Valley or Denver?  Both temples are usually very temperate and have beautiful gardens/grounds.

Denver, and it's 95-100 outside with tons of bugs.  And also the reason I don't want to write once I get home (I have to drive two hours through rush hour Denver, and then from Denver back to WY).

5 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Denver, and it's 95-100 outside with tons of bugs.  And also the reason I don't want to write once I get home (I have to drive two hours through rush hour Denver, and then from Denver back to WY).

Stop by Lehi's house and drive home in the morning.  I do it all the time. ;)

And remember, it's a dry heat.

BTW, the bugs really aren't that bad near the temple.  It's too dry for mosquitoes to congregate in great numbers.

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I have to drive two hours through rush hour Denver, and then from Denver back to WY

Ft. Collins will be open in a few months!!! :D

Lehi

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

I have seen members writing in their journals as they are sitting before and after in the foyer. In the Portland, OR Temple, they have an atrium where you could easily sit and write in your journal.

I too have seen it. Multiple times.

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

I have seen members writing in their journals as they are sitting before and after in the foyer. In the Portland, OR Temple, they have an atrium where you could easily sit and write in your journal.

Why confined to the atrium?

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

You mean like Dallas, where folks will be watching the flowers melt for the rest of the summer?

So looking forward to it!  Going to volunteer at the open house and invite everyone I know (for the third time).

Lookee here, y'all:

Sharing-The-Openhouse.pdf

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, NightSG said:

You mean like Dallas, where folks will be watching the flowers melt for the rest of the summer?

Lol, the atrium in the Portland temple is enclosed..because they do get a lot of rain.

15 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Lol, the atrium in the Portland temple is enclosed..because they do get a lot of rain.

Yeah, I still think all those photos of the Portland temple without a cloud in the sky are Photoshopped.

On 6/23/2016 at 4:24 PM, Carborendum said:

BTW, the bugs really aren't that bad near the temple.  It's too dry for mosquitoes to congregate in great numbers.

I just figured demons couldn't tolerate being that close to the temple.

I keep looking at that Scientific American article about the scientists who found a way to wipe out all mosquitoes worldwide.  Suddenly now they've decided to worry about unintended consequences.  Heck, freeze a few hundred larvae, and if it turns out to be a horrible idea, you can put them back.