Best Post-Election Reaction

Windseeker

Sad to see that by ignoring me @LiterateParakeet is showing that what I said was true, and that she is just a guilty ignoring what she disagrees with as all the other people she is trying to point fingers at.

And before I get accused (again) of being insensitive.  I am sure she feels she is doing the Christ-like thing.  And I even think she might be following the kindergarten rule (and highly recommend forum behavior) of "If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all"  And I totally support her in the her right to do so.

Edited by estradling75

7 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@unixknight but I'm not talking about "decades of stuff", I'm talking about what has happened since Nov. 8th, after what was a very unique election cycle.  As far as I know  most of us here didn't even vote for Trump.

Right, but my point remains the same.  Ever since the election, even the conservative commentators are mostly talking about the liberal reaction.  I just can't emphasize this enough.  We get it. I don't understand what it is you feel we're missing.

About the media, that's one of the things I'm talking about.  Both sides swear the media is against them.

Watch just 5 minutes of CNN and it becomes abundantly clear which side has the more legitimate gripe.  Conservatives are angry at the media for not spending enough time on Hillary's corruption, like the FBI/E-mail business, liberals are mad at the media for mentioning it at all.

To both of you, you tell me that you, figuratively, are tired of hearing about some of this stuff that it's talked about all the time.  Well it's not talked about here on the board.

Why would you expect it to be?  The members here are majority conservative.  That means most of us are sick of hearing about it everywhere else, and you want us to bring it into this board as well?

Ok, here's the bottom line.  People around here who you feel aren't spending enough time talking about liberals' feelings come in two flavors: People who are perfectly well aware and are tired of it, and people who don't care in the first place.  Which of those two groups do you think is more likely to want to get into it even more?

Look, I know I may be coming across rather more aggressive than I mean to be and I'm sorry, but it's just that I'm in the "completely sick of it" crowd.  And you know, even if we wanted to somehow reach out, fix the disappointed liberals some soymilk and a plate of organic cookies, and invite them to please, by all means tell us all about how horrible Trump is, how violent and aggressive Trump supporters can be, how wrong we all are for not supporting Clinton, and how ultimately this is a huge social setback for the United States... Even if we did all that, you know what?  It wouldn't matter a whit, because the ONLY thing that will satisfy would be to somehow hand the election to Clinton instead, issue a public apology and force Comey into retirement.

Yeah, that'd probably buy us about 5, maybe 10 minutes of peace and quiet before the Clinton News Network found something else to stir things up about.

6 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@unixknight : "Here's the door, LP."

Message received. Carry on.

Well, if that's your take away from what I said, then I'd gently recommend you take a little time for introspection, because it would mean you're doing the very thing you're accusing others of. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
51 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Well, if that's your take away from what I said, then I'd gently recommend you take a little time for introspection, because it would mean you're doing the very thing you're accusing others of. 

@unixknight  I took your post to mean that you were didn't want to keep discussing it. 

Forum:  Discussing "Best Post-Election reaction"

LP: Here is several links of Trump Supporters behaving badly.

Forum: Yeap... and here are some of Clinton Supporters also badly.

LP: Yeah both sides are behaving badly... but what about those links I posted of Trump Supporters behaving badly?

Forum: <Looks into links>  It looks like some are faked, and others are from questionable news sources.

LP: Why am I the only one that accepts that both sides are behaving badly...  Instead of forum discussing Trump Supporters are behaving badly.. You want to talk about Clinton Supporters behaving badly and Clinton supporters making up attacks by Trump supporters.  Lets talk about Trump Supporters are behaving badly... and if you don't you are all intolerant bigots who just don't get it.

Forum: Trump supporters behaving badly should be investigated and held accountable for whatever crimes they commit. <Cricket chirps because there are no disagreements with this fundamental idea>

LP: Well I guess no one here wants to discuss Trump supporters behaving badly... Looks like I am being shown the door instead

Edited by estradling75

5 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@unixknight  I took your post to mean that you were didn't want to keep discussing it. 

No, though I can see why it comes across that way.  If there's a real chance at mutual understanding it's always worth trying... but it has got to feel like progress is being made.  Know what I mean?

Guest LiterateParakeet
8 minutes ago, unixknight said:

No, though I can see why it comes across that way.  If there's a real chance at mutual understanding it's always worth trying... but it has got to feel like progress is being made.  Know what I mean?

Yes. I agree that its worth trying. I am going to take some time to think about how I could better communicate my point, next time. For this conversation though, I think its run its course. Agreed?

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Yes. I agree that its worth trying. I am going to take some time to think about how I could better communicate my point, next time. For this conversation though, I think its run its course. Agreed?

I guess.  For what it's worth, I think you communicate fine.  I think it's just that you're asking for a bit more than people are ready to offer, at least for now.

2 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Both sides swear the media is against them.

Compare the beliefs of each side with those expressed by the media in all areas: Abortion access, racial reparations, acceptance of homosexuality, tolerance of antisocial activity (on the part of leftists), border security. You name it. Then come back and argue with a straight face that both sides are equally wrong when they swear as they do above.

1 hour ago, estradling75 said:

LP: Why am I the only one that accepts that both sides are behaving badly...  Instead of forum discussing Trump Supporters are behaving badly.. You want to talk about Clinton Supporters behaving badly and Clinton supporters making up attacks by Trump supporters.  Lets talk about Trump Supporters are behaving badly... and if you don't you are all intolerant bigots who just don't get it.

Let's be fair.  I don't think LP is accusing us here of being intolerant bigots.  She's a super compassionate person who is looking to us, her friends and fellow church members, to share her feelings about the disappointment and reaction by the left over the election result.  I don't think many of us are ready to do that, and some of us never will be.  That's the disconnect. 

This has been one of the most contentious elections in American history.  Let's not see any more friendships fractured over it.

Let's cut each other some slack.

Edited by unixknight

Guest LiterateParakeet

@unixknight Thanks.  You are right. :)

@Vort Good points.  The Liberals have their list too though. The conclusion I've come to is that the media is in it for the money. Whatever sells papers, as the saying goes. Sure there are some media sources that lean left and some that lean right, but when it all comes down to it, they just want the stories that will bring in the money. Thats my opinion anyway. I try to read from both sides, and lately I've started reading news from other countries to try and get closer to the truth. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

18 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Whatever sells papers, as the saying goes. Sure there are some media sources that lean left and some that lean right, but when it all comes down to it, they just want the stories that will bring in the money. Thats my opinion anyway. I try to read from both sides, and lately I've started reading news from other countries to try and get closer to the truth. 

I agree with that, though I do think there's a case to be made for there to be an ideological component in it in more recent times.  I was watching a press conference after the election in which one of the higher-ups at CNN was talking about what "went wrong."  He said that he felt the problem was they'd played too many of Trump's speeches in their entirety, without editing, and that was where they made their mistake.

...  A bigwig at a major news source was openly saying they didn't do enough to influence the election.  Can you imagine???

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

About the media, that's one of the things I'm talking about.  Both sides swear the media is against them.  Or, take the FBI, the Right says the FBI didn't do a good enough job investigating Hillary.  Hillary says the FBI cost her the election by opening that last case too close to the election.  Both sides are sure the FBI is on the other side.  It's like a bad soap opera. 

I totally agree with you @LiterateParakeet. Both the right and the left claim that the media is against them. And you know what? They are right! It's the job of the media to be a thorn in both sides. To be skeptical of all power and all politicians. To me a good, watchdog media will growl at Obama, Trump, the right, the left, and everyone in between.  

Guest MormonGator

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

Let's be fair.  I don't think LP is accusing us here of being intolerant bigots.  She's a super compassionate person who is looking to us, her friends and fellow church members, to share her feelings about the disappointment and reaction by the left over the election result.  I don't think many of us are ready to do that, and some of us never will be.  That's the disconnect. 

This has been one of the most contentious elections in American history.  Let's not see any more friendships fractured over it.

So well said bro. That's a perfect description of my good friend @LiterateParakeet

And that's totally, 100% awesome of you to say this. I hope we all can repair friendships and move forward over this election. Bravo @unixknight. It's so great to see someone who isn't obsessed with being "right" or winning the argument at the expense of friendship or their reputation. Goodness knows I could learn a lot from you. 

Again dude, your post was the best post ever. 

Edited by MormonGator

I enjoy being registered to vote as Unaffiliated party now because I don't feel like I have to compete against other parties or be fighting another party. I just want to be free from my past division when it came to politics and political party hating. Now I just want unity and to be a good country.

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

So well said bro. That's a perfect description of my good friend @LiterateParakeet

And that's totally, 100% awesome of you to say this. I hope we all can repair friendships and move forward over this election. Bravo @unixknight. It's so great to see someone who isn't obsessed with being "right" or winning the argument at the expense of friendship or their reputation. Goodness knows I could learn a lot from you. 

Again dude, your post was the best post ever. 

This.  This is where massively inflated egos come from.  :P

I do appreciate the kind words though.  Believe me I had to trip over my mouth a lot before figuring out how to not be a complete jerk.

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I do appreciate the kind words though.  Believe me I had to trip over my mouth a lot before figuring out how to not be a complete jerk.

Anytime on the kind words. You deserve them.That post was A+. 

And I'm the same way, for sure. It has taken me years to learn how to express myself and be passionate without making a fool of myself or being needlessly cruel or focusing on being right and showing how smart I am. Some people don't care or don't notice how they come across. It'll always be that way. But I'm glad I've learned how not to be that way, that's for sure. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

I think some people need to learn that just pointing out that someone else is guilty of not being tolerant or guilty of arguing/getting the last word doesn't excuse their own faults. It took me years to get that too. 

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

Many of us are disappointed over the results of this election...  Many of us have expressed that disappointment since the Republican Primary finished...  thus before and after election..

She wants to share her feelings that is fine...  But she is trying to dictate what an acceptable response is, and that is where she is getting into trouble. 

5 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Many of us are disappointed over the results of this election...  Many of us have expressed that disappointment since the Republican Primary finished...  thus before and after election..

She wants to share her feelings that is fine...  But she is trying to dictate what an acceptable response is, and that is where she is getting into trouble. 

I know it feels like she's been pushy, but I think all sides (yeah, there's definitely more than 2) are feeling the tension of that need to be heard and understood.  And, as I was saying earlier, I agree that looking for someone in Conservativeville to be shedding tears for the disappointment of the left right now is a pipe dream.

But we have to be careful to stay true to ourselves and not let the feeling of victory/vindication turn us into jerks.  I'm an avid fan of Andrew Klavan because he is usually pretty on-point and somewhat moderate, but I think he's crossing the line in his podcast a bit lately when he says things like "I'm enjoying the taste of your tears BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA" regarding the left.  

I'm gonna be honest here... I feel that way too.  I'd drink a pint of Clinton's tears if I could and ask for seconds... But I also feel dirty when I think that way.  I'm not proud of it.  Do I think Clinton is utterly corrupt and deserved a loss?  YES!  Do I think she ought to be in prison? OH ABSOLUTELY.  But... if I let all that turn me into a jerk then I'm being corrupted by the same contentious behavior that we're beating up on the Left for. 

We have to be better than that.  I suck at it, but I'm trying.

This is simply baloney. Those of you who claim the media is equally biased against right and left need to pull your heads out of the sand. As I wrote before, LOOK AT WHAT THEY WRITE. It's obvious.

If you still cling to the ignorant statement that the media is equally biased against right and left, then I defy you to show me the half of the media that wants abortion to be restricted or that wants our southern border more actively defended.

6 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I know it feels like she's been pushy, but I think all sides (yeah, there's definitely more than 2) are feeling the tension of that need to be heard and understood.  And, as I was saying earlier, I agree that looking for someone in Conservativeville to be shedding tears for the disappointment of the left right now is a pipe dream.

But we have to be careful to stay true to ourselves and not let the feeling of victory/vindication turn us into jerks.  I'm an avid fan of Andrew Klavan because he is usually pretty on-point and somewhat moderate, but I think he's crossing the line in his podcast a bit lately when he says things like "I'm enjoying the taste of your tears BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA" regarding the left.  

I'm gonna be honest here... I feel that way too.  I'd drink a pint of Clinton's tears if I could and ask for seconds... But I also feel dirty when I think that way.  I'm not proud of it.  Do I think Clinton is utterly corrupt and deserved a loss?  YES!  Do I think she ought to be in prison? OH ABSOLUTELY.  But... if I let all that turn me into a jerk then I'm being corrupted by the same contentious behavior that we're beating up on the Left for. 

We have to be better than that.  I suck at it, but I'm trying.

I agree we all need to do better...  However there is a world of difference between trying to be a better person, and letting someone continually belittle, demean, and call you hateful things. (Yes I call being called a Racist, and Sexist hateful)

7 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

I agree we all need to do better...  However there is a world of difference between trying to be a better person, and letting someone continually belittle, demean, and call you hateful things. (Yes I call being called a Racist, and Sexist hateful)

Agreed. 

One of the reasons I'm so disgusted with left-wing politics is the sheer hypocrisy.  Hypocrisy is my berzerk button when it comes to debates because it's just so counterproductive.  They call us hateful and yet spew obscenities and vile accusations.  Just watch the video of the L.A. Temple from the day Prop 8 passed in CA.  A mob of people were at the gates saying things so vicious and nasty they don't bear repeating - ever.  Even the LAPD asked the Temple Prez to allow them to move their police cars onto Temple grounds for fear that the mob would vandalize them.

I started writing a list of examples but I don't think it's necessary.  You guys know what I mean.