Mormon Tabernacle Choir singer quits because she claims Trump represents tyranny and fascism

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

You are incorrect.  She put in for the lottery and was selected.  I have this information directly from my friend who is a current choir member.  This was her response when I asked:

"We were given the option to go. They chose from those that opted yes."

She submitted her name and was selected to go.  Based on her interview she already had reservations about this trip and I believe was pursuing the "big splash" agenda mentioned above.

I watched a video and I did not hear her say anything about the lottery, maybe I missed it or watched a different video.  If there is a vid where she is claiming not to have put in for the lottery please direct me to it.  I would like to see it.  That would contradict what my friend in MoTab says happened.

We've gone back and forth on this now. First, she just refused to sing, then it came out that she put in to sing so she could protest, now it's back to she just resigned and posted her opposition on FB, and now we're back to maybe she did put in for the lottery.  So... I guess I'm pleading for a definitive answer. 

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

You are incorrect.  She put in for the lottery and was selected.  I have this information directly from my friend who is a current choir member.  This was her response when I asked:

"We were given the option to go. They chose from those that opted yes."

She submitted her name and was selected to go.  Based on her interview she already had reservations about this trip and I believe was pursuing the "big splash" agenda mentioned above.

I watched a video and I did not hear her say anything about the lottery, maybe I missed it or watched a different video.  If there is a vid where she is claiming not to have put in for the lottery please direct me to it.  I would like to see it.  That would contradict what my friend in MoTab says happened.

There is a video in this SLTribune article. When she was given the choice she opted "No". She mentions it twice in the video.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4777584-155/moral-issue-not-politics-led-mormon?page=1

M.

Edited by Maureen

1 hour ago, Maureen said:

There is a video in this SLTribune article. When she was given the choice she opted "No". She mentions it twice in the video.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4777584-155/moral-issue-not-politics-led-mormon?page=1

M.

The video makes it clear. I disagree with her politics, but it appears she declined the option to go, and then made the further decision to resign from the choir.  Those are her choices to make, and I can respect them, even if I disagree with her overall rationale about Trump and about what it minds for a church choir to sing at a presidential inauguration.

If that was all it was it would be a non issue

But if this quote is correct then that is not all it was

9 hours ago, Maureen said:

She wanted instead to raise public awareness about what she sees as the incoming president's lurking fascism and potential damage to her beloved chorus's reputation.

A person can't want to raise "public awareness"  Then cry victim when the public becomes aware

23 minutes ago, Maureen said:

I don't remember where she ever said she was a victim.

M.

True... You are the one trying to make the case that she is the victim  Not her...  My Bad.  See the following quotes of yours

On 1/5/2017 at 10:59 AM, Maureen said:

She wanted instead to raise public awareness about what she sees as the incoming president's lurking fascism and potential damage to her beloved chorus's reputation.

<Snip>

Chamberlin was taken aback by the media interest, having no desire for fame or recognition, she said Tuesday, "but I stand behind my decision 100 percent."

The two sentences are exactly what I was talking about and it is your quote.

And here is you trying to say that maybe she wasn't technically competent to do what she did

On 1/4/2017 at 3:54 PM, Maureen said:

FB is social media and somewhat public depending on how a person sets it up; or in some cases don't know they have the ability to make their pages public or private. 

How is trying to excuse her technical know how anything other then an attempt to paint her as a victim?

And here is another one of your quotes

On 1/4/2017 at 9:37 PM, Maureen said:

From what I can tell, Chamberlin made her feelings known through email, FB and change.org  (which you can share with people you typically know). The news outlets seem to have gotten this information from these sources, not from her directly. PC, do you object to this ex-choir member voicing her very passionate opinion, even on social media?

M.

Basically trying to blame the media for digging into her personal accounts and making a firestorm over it..

All of which is variation saying She is the victim... and all of which fails... if her Goal was to "Raise Awareness"

Edited by estradling75

15 hours ago, estradling75 said:

A person can't want to raise "public awareness"  Then cry victim when the public becomes aware

Her place of victimhood was here. Several us us spent about 30 posts or so denouncing her for something she did not do.  I doubt her suffering was great, but it did make me feel somewhat like a jerk. :doh:

@estradling75, my point was that many on this forum was painting a picture that Chamberlin was deliberately seeking media attention and my argument was that just because she's posting her thoughts on social media (which is typically private), doesn't mean that that information wasn't available to news outlets since they reported on her written thoughts without speaking to her. A lot of people using FB don't realize they have the ability to make their FB pages private or available to the public. I didn't say she didn't know I was just saying it's a possibility.

M.

1 minute ago, Maureen said:

@estradling75, my point was that many on this forum was painting a picture that Chamberlin was deliberately seeking media attention and my argument was that just because she's posting her thoughts on social media (which is typically private), doesn't mean that that information wasn't available to news outlets since they reported on her written thoughts without speaking to her. A lot of people using FB don't realize they have the ability to make their FB pages private or available to the public. I didn't say she didn't know I was just saying it's a possibility.

M.

While that argument has merit.. if all that was intended by her was a status update to close personal friends....

However that argument fails the moment she makes any attempt to "Raise Awareness."  The minute that becomes her intention. (and you quoted that it was) then the she has full responsibility for the media that is used to raise that awareness.  Her actions don't get a pass because she was more successful in her intended action then she thought would happen.

11 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

While that argument has merit.. if all that was intended by her was a status update to close personal friends....

However that argument fails the moment she makes any attempt to "Raise Awareness."  The minute that becomes her intention. (and you quoted that it was) then the she has full responsibility for the media that is used to raise that awareness.  Her actions don't get a pass because she was more successful in her intended action then she thought would happen.

I don't see how this makes her a victim or that she professed to being a victim.

M.

1 minute ago, Maureen said:

I don't see how this makes her a victim or that she professed to being a victim.

M.

What part of

33 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

True... You are the one trying to make the case that she is the victim  Not her...  My Bad.  See the following quotes of yours

Was unclear?

Guest LiterateParakeet

@Maureen, FWIW, I understood your point all along. As we all know writing communication is fraught with misunderstanding. Even more so I've noticed when we have certain pre-conceived notions about one another. One of my goals is to be aware of my preconceived notions about others, and try to step away from that to consider other possibilities. It will be a challenge, I admit. 

This new goal is in part inspired by your posts. I really like that you are giving this woman the benefit of the doubt. It occurs to me that that is what I would hope for, and therefore what I should give others. 

@MormonGator also inspired me because he always seems to find something good in people. 

Guest MormonGator
24 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@MormonGator also inspired me because he always seems to find something good in people. 

Thank you Lit, very nice of you to say. 

3 minutes ago, Maureen said:

. There are always two sides to every story - that's what I believe.

You believe it because you are right, there are always two sides to every story for sure! 

In fact, as I get older the more I notice that those who preach the loudest are the ones who are the usually the morally flawed. The assume that everyone acts with the worst intentions because that's how they personally would act. 

12 minutes ago, Maureen said:

@estradling75, you can think whatever you wish, but I do not see Chamberlin as a victim, only someone accused of something she didn't do

What do you see her being accused of that she did not do?

The only thing I have accused her of is not following the method the church has in place for when a member disagrees with a church action...  And on that the guilt seems pretty self evident

And I have pointed out the illogic of certain posters trying to make the case that someone that wanted to "Raise Awareness" is somehow not responsible when they do exactly that.

Edited by estradling75

• pam unfeatured this topic