Mormon Tabernacle Choir singer quits because she claims Trump represents tyranny and fascism

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, Maureen said:

From what I can tell, Chamberlin made her feelings known through email, FB and change.org  (which you can share with people you typically know). The news outlets seem to have gotten this information from these sources, not from her directly. PC, do you object to this ex-choir member voicing her very passionate opinion, even on social media?

M.

FWIW, I agree with you.  I appreciate that you are giving her the benefit of the doubt on this.  

Guest MormonGator
36 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

I was thinking, "Yeah...eventually I could be bishop of the MoTab Choir..." ...then I remembered that LDS do not aspire to--much less create--callings.  :ohnoyoudont:

Hey pal, I aspire to be the next prophet. Plotting my course right now...:)

14 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

FWIW, I agree with you.  I appreciate that you are giving her the benefit of the doubt on this.  

There is no doubt to give the benefit of. She's in the SL Tribulation today, glorying in her notoriety and openly admitting she applied for the lottery to be a part JUST SO that she could quit and publicly post that to Facebook [edit: this is not the case, as Maureen pointed out to me] -- while simultaneously claiming surprise at the publicity this generated. No adult is that naive. I have even less respect for her than I did before reading the article. I would link to the article, but I generally don't link to antiMormon sites. Not too hard to find if you look.

Edited by Vort

8 minutes ago, Vort said:

There is no doubt to give the benefit of. She's in the SL Tribulation today, glorying in her notoriety and openly admitting she applied for the lottery to be a part JUST SO that she could quit and publicly post that to Facebook -- while simultaneously claiming surprise at the publicity this generated. No adult is that naive. I have even less respect for her than I did before reading the article. I would link to the article, but I generally don't link to antiMormon sites. Not too hard to find if you look.

We can now officially move this story to the Special Snowflakes thread.

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, Vort said:

There is no doubt to give the benefit of. She's in the SL Tribulation today, glorying in her notoriety and openly admitting she applied for the lottery to be a part JUST SO that she could quit and publicly post that to Facebook -- while simultaneously claiming surprise at the publicity this generated. No adult is that naive. 

Actually a lot of adults are that naive. It's how Trump got elected in the first place. The naive belief that his policies could :: ahem :: make America great again. 

This boils down to "If I agree with Trump, she's wrong. If I disagree with Trump, she's right." 

Edited by MormonGator

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Actually a lot of adults are that naive. It's how Trump got elected in the first place. The naive belief that his policies could :: ahem :: make America great again. 

This boils down to "If I agree with Trump, she's wrong. If I disagree with Trump, she's right." 

Baloney. Unless you truly believe I'm a big Trump supporter, in which case you haven't been paying attention for the last year.

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Double Baloney... Unless you missed my thoughts about Trump and my thoughts about this sister (in addition to Vorts)

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Baloney. Unless you truly believe I'm a big Trump supporter, in which case you haven't been paying attention for the last year.

What's not "baloney" is that if she was doing the same thing for Obama, no one would have a problem with it. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
26 minutes ago, Vort said:

There is no doubt to give the benefit of. She's in the SL Tribulation today, glorying in her notoriety and openly admitting she applied for the lottery to be a part JUST SO that she could quit and publicly post that to Facebook -- while simultaneously claiming surprise at the publicity this generated. No adult is that naive. I have even less respect for her than I did before reading the article. I would link to the article, but I generally don't link to antiMormon sites. Not too hard to find if you look.

Since I wrote that yesterday, I had not had the benefit of reading today's article. :)  I will look at it later and see if it changes my opinion. That is possible. Generally speaking though, I think it's good practice to give people the benefit of the doubt, I know that's what I would want. I admit, I'm not always good at it myself though. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

What's not "baloney" is that if she was doing the same thing for Obama, no one would have a problem with it. 

Total "Baloney" again...  My position on her actions is not based on politics but her use/abuse of the church's name and image to personal gain

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Since I wrote that yesterday, I had not had the benefit of reading today's article. :)  I will look at it later and see if it changes my opinion. That is possible. Generally speaking though, I think it's good practice to give people the benefit of the doubt, I know that's what I would want. I admit, I'm not always good at it myself though. 

Don't feel about it. No one is (good at it), especially if we disagree with them and especially online. 

Edited by MormonGator

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

MG, this is simply untrue. Lots of people would have had a problem with it. If Obama had invited the Choir to sing for his inauguration and some Choir member had taken to Facebook to quit publicly as a political denouncement, I would have had exactly the same reaction, as I daresay would most on this forum who decry this woman's grandstanding.

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, Vort said:

MG, this is simply untrue. Lots of people would have had a problem with it. If Obama had invited the Choir to sing for his inauguration and some Choir member had taken to Facebook to quit publicly as a political denouncement, I would have had exactly the same reaction, as I daresay would most on this forum who decry this woman's grandstanding.

This is where we disagree because no, I don't believe you that if someone protested Obamas inauguration due to his stance on gay marriage/abortion and refused to sing at his inauguration they'd get the same treatment as her. I am one hundred percent convinced they'd be celebrated for taking a stand. 

I'm glad we are both clear were we disagree because it's obvious we'll never agree on this. Remember that it's not personal (you and everyone else here knows how much I like and respect you)-just politics. 

Edited by MormonGator

9 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I'm glad we are both clear were we disagree because it's obvious we'll never agree on this.

This is a difference of opinion, but there is a way to find out, at least to some degree, whether people would have objected to a Choir member's personal boycott of an Obama inauguration. Ask them. I'm one of them, and I'm telling you I would have. I have seen at least one other here state the same.

58 minutes ago, Vort said:

I have no problem linking the article:

No, it was a "moral issue." That's why Chamberlin, a Utah County voice teacher who has been with the famed choir for five years, could not simply skip putting her name in the lottery that would choose volunteers to sing at the Jan. 20 event.

She wanted instead to raise public awareness about what she sees as the incoming president's lurking fascism and potential damage to her beloved chorus's reputation.

So last week the lifelong Mormon and mother of three sent a resignation letter to the choir president and her fellow singers, then posted it on Facebook. It immediately drew a torrent of responses and media reports from across the nation and around the globe.

Chamberlin was taken aback by the media interest, having no desire for fame or recognition, she said Tuesday, "but I stand behind my decision 100 percent."

I interpret the bold as saying that it wasn't enough for her to just not volunteer for this event, she decided that resigning from the choir completely was a bigger message.

The impetus for her resignation, she said, was a "nasty" Facebook post from a fellow choir member, dubbing those who declined to participate as "unpatriotic" or not "faithful to the faith," and suggesting they quit.

"That rattled me," Chamberlin said, and launched an internal struggle and a ton of praying. Ultimately, she decided she needed to do more.

The choir's performance, she argued, would send the wrong message to outsiders in the United States and abroad — that the famed Mormon singing group supported Trump's behavior and positions.

Other LDS members (who are not choir members) have also shared her feeling that singing at the inauguration would send the wrong message. Whether they are right or wrong, it is still their choice to feel that way.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4777584-155/moral-issue-not-politics-led-mormon?page=1

M.

Edited by Maureen

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

This is a difference of opinion, but there is a way to find out, at least to some degree, whether people would have objected to a Choir member's personal boycott of an Obama inauguration. Ask them. I'm one of them, and I'm telling you I would have. I have seen at least one other here state the same.

I have no doubt you'd do it, given that you are a man of great character, courage and integrity and if anyone says otherwise, I'll fight with them for sure! 

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Add me to that same.  I would feel the same if it was HRC.  And I'm a big Trump supporter.  Yuge.

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I have no doubt you'd do it, given that you are a man of great character, courage and integrity and if anyone says otherwise, I'll fight with them for sure! 

That's kind of you, MG. I think highly of you, too, as you know.

11 minutes ago, Maureen said:

I have no problem linking the article:

No, it was a "moral issue." That's why Chamberlin, a Utah County voice teacher who has been with the famed choir for five years, could not simply skip putting her name in the lottery that would choose volunteers to sing at the Jan. 20 event.

She wanted instead to raise public awareness about what she sees as the incoming president's lurking fascism and potential damage to her beloved chorus's reputation.

So last week the lifelong Mormon and mother of three sent a resignation letter to the choir president and her fellow singers, then posted it on Facebook. It immediately drew a torrent of responses and media reports from across the nation and around the globe.

Chamberlin was taken aback by the media interest, having no desire for fame or recognition, she said Tuesday, "but I stand behind my decision 100 percent."

Okay, so she intentionally put in for the lottery, so she could raise public awareness.  With this we have premeditation.  She fully intended to use the official church choir's reputation to promote her "Trump is immoral" political message. 

AFTER that admission, the SLC tries to rescue her by saying she really did not think it would work--er, uh, well, at least not as much as it did.  In other words, her immature little plan worked, but she should not be blamed because she never thought it would???  Oh...but she stands by what she did completely. 

Let's translate:

1.  I wanted to use MoTab's reputation (again, an official organ of the church) to insult Trump.

2.  Don't blame me because I really didn't think it would work very well.

3.  I'm not sorry, but you should forgive me--accept I didn't do anything wrong.

BTW, I do believe that if a choir member had done this to Obama they would have been blamed. After all, the liberal media would have suggested that the protesting choir member exposed racist division within the church. 

15 minutes ago, Maureen said:

And that right there is the failure point...

The church has a system for handling things that you disagree with... This was not it.

Instead she took upon herself the mantle of Leader in deciding what the Choir and Church needs to do and set about making it happen.

• pam unfeatured this topic