Do you think Jesus was married during his earthly life?

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

The Ramones suck.  That's a fact, not a rude comment.  Deal with it.

@mirkwood, we are all worried about your mental state and declining cognitive abilities.  There, I said it. 

Edited by MormonGator

53 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

The concept of "my thread" has been repeatedly thrown out in every forum in which I've participated. You bring up a topic... start a thread... and it goes where it goes. No one gets to be the boss of the thread. (I've tried.)

They use my thread on the mormon Dialogue board all the time and it gets en forced by the mods.

I am very certain that Jesus was married.  If fact I believe there is a preponderance of evidence that he was and a surprising lack of any evidence that he was not married.  For example, for all the fault that the Scribes and Pharisees attempted to find in Jesus they never once, ever, accused him of not being married.    Isaiah prophesied that there would be three parts in the great apostasy – 1. A transgression of the law.  2. Changing the ordinances.   And 3 breaking of the everlasting covenant.    Because the everlasting covenant includes marriage and because marriage is and ordinance – It stand to reason that there could not be an apostasy without attempting to minimize the importance of the everlasting covenant of marriage.

As a side note – just to bring to light how little we understand of the ancient order of things – very few in our modern era understand the difference between a wife and a concubine.  In essence, the difference is that a wife comes to the marriage with a dowry; that belongs to her and must be returned if there is a divorce.   A concubine has no dowry.  But for the peace in your family I would not recommend anyone every telling their wife that she is really a concubine.

The Traveler

On 2/7/2017 at 0:29 PM, Zarahemla said:

Jesus didn't start his ministry until he was 30 years old and lived to be about 33-34. What was the common marriage age back then and do you think Jesus married in that time? I ask because you can't have exaltation as a single person, you need to be sealed to someone and be exalted as a couple. I definitely think Jesus was and I think the wedding where He turned water into wine was His wedding.

Look at it this way.  He was baptized to obey the commandments of his Father and to fulfill all righteousness.  Since he, who was without sin, was baptized to obey one commandment, I figure it's a logical extension to believe he will fulfill all the Father's commandments, one of which is the new and everlasting covenant of marriage.

Perhaps I am not a typical believer in that I hold that the literal understanding of scripture is suspect.  I will not go into all the reasons only to say that many that study the textual criticism, especially of the ancient Biblical test, are suspect of their historical accuracy.  For me there are “things” or what are accounted as miracles that are a little out of character and thus for me; suspect. 

Take for example the account of Jesus walking on water.  I will not go into all the reasons this account is suspect for me with two exceptions.  The first is the ancient account of Baal walking on water that was recorded long before the New Testament and the similarity of the Biblical text.  The second is that anciently Baal was considered a rival Messiah to Jesus and I believe it possible (even probable and somewhat prophetic form modern revelation) that many a Christian scribe would be willing to alter sacred scripture in efforts to “prove” Jesus to be the one and only Messiah sent by G-d into the world to redeem the people of earth.

I am a disciple of Jesus as the Christ not because I believe scripture to be accurate.  My witness of Jesus as the Christ (Messiah) has more in common with Peter and the concept that Jesus pronounced Peter’s witness as a blessing – because it did not come from scripture but by revelation from G-d the Father.  For me – my understanding that Jesus is the Christ is not dependent on every scripture account of Jesus Christ being 100% accurate.  Should scripture be found not be to accurate, my understanding of Jesus as the Messiah would not be shaken – not even a little.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, mordorbund said:

@MormonGator - his love of Bruce Springsteen makes him a forum proxy.

(am I doing this right @mirkwood?)

LOL! 

We're all just dancing in the dark bro. 

PS-I'm not from New Jersey, but New Jersey law 98:31 states that anyone from New Jersey who doesn't like Bruce Springsteen will be immediately executed via the guillotine. Did you know that? 

Christ did keep every higher law, we constantly call him the Great Exemplar. We always ask ourselves WWJD (but maybe not exactly like that)... celestial marriage is the highest law... I don't see why not... 

but regardless of whether he was married on Earth or not, he will have to be eventually. God has all power because he is in perfect harmony with all Law (d&c student institute manual)... if Christ wants to be like Heavenly Father, he too will need to be married.