Stuff that's true

NeuroTypical

Here are some things that are pretty universally accepted as true by just about everybody, especially the people knowledgeable or experienced in these matters.  

* Nuclear power is safe and cheap, compared to other forms of energy production.  The world's 440 nuclear reactors produce around 11% of the world's electricity.  After the massive decline in new plants being built since 1991, the world is starting to get back in the nuclear swing of things, with 60 reactors currently under construction in 15 countries.  This is a good thing.

* Vaccines are effective, safe, and of immense benefit the the world's health, compared with the alternative.  You should vaccinate your children, unless they have a legitimate medical contra-indication (and odds are no, yours don't.)

* GMOs are safe, and a blessing to the world, compared with other ways humans feed themselves.  There are zero examples of harm coming to humans from consuming a GMO that has been brought to market.  The Organic movement started as a clever marketing ploy, and has morphed into a massive business full of hypocritical anti-science and anti-businenss crusade, enlisting the ignorant and the ill-informed.

God gave us grey matter in our skulls for a reason.  Nuclear power, vaccines, and GMOs, are examples of humans using their God-given brain powers in good ways that benefit the entire human race.  

Scientific illiteracy is not a Christian Virtue. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

* Natural gas can be used to power internal combustion engines.  Cars can be modified to use natural gas safely without much ado (most cars today already have that technology under their hood).  The US has enough natural gas to serve all the energy needs of the country and still have plenty to export.  Natural gas burns cleaner than oil.

* I worked for First Energy at Perry Nuclear Plant in Ohio... building the K-12 public school back in 1992.  The school was state of the art with Olympic-sized pools, several tennis courts, a computer lab that would make silicon valley proud, etc.  So, how does it compute that I'm working for a Nuclear Power Plant but my job is building a school?  From what I understood back then, the Plant built the school to keep residents from fleeing...

Edited by anatess2

8 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

God gave us grey matter in our skulls for a reason.

Because he was out of blue dye?  Because everyone knows "grey" is the way the more educated among us spell "gray", so clearly the brain should be grey rather than gray?  Because all the brighter colors were already claimed?  Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

28 minutes ago, zil said:

Because he was out of blue dye?  Because everyone knows "grey" is the way the more educated among us spell "gray", so clearly the brain should be grey rather than gray?  Because all the brighter colors were already claimed?  Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Aw, man!  I post a perfectly good bunch of stuff, only to lose my credibility with a dumb spelling error.  Curse you, wrinkly groey matter!  Why do you not spell good?

Guest MormonGator
49 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Here are some things that are pretty universally accepted as true by just about everybody, especially the people knowledgeable or experienced in these matters.  

* Nuclear power is safe and cheap, compared to other forms of energy production.  The world's 440 nuclear reactors produce around 11% of the world's electricity.  After the massive decline in new plants being built since 1991, the world is starting to get back in the nuclear swing of things, with 60 reactors currently under construction in 15 countries.  This is a good thing.

* Vaccines are effective, safe, and of immense benefit the the world's health, compared with the alternative.  You should vaccinate your children, unless they have a legitimate medical contra-indication (and odds are no, yours doesn't.)

* GMOs are safe, and a blessing to the world, compared with other ways humans feed themselves.  There are zero examples of harm coming to humans from consuming a GMO that has been brought to market.  The Organic movement started as a clever marketing ploy, and has morphed into a massive business full of hypocritical anti-science and anti-businenss crusade, enlisting the ignorant and the ill-informed.

God gave us grey matter in our skulls for a reason.  Nuclear power, vaccines, and GMOs, are examples of humans using their God-given brain powers in good ways that benefit the entire human race.  

Scientific illiteracy is not a Christian Virtue. 

If we drank, I'd buy you a shot of your favorite anything. Amen bro. Perfect post. 

12 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Aw, man!  I post a perfectly good bunch of stuff, only to lose my credibility with a dumb spelling error.  Curse you, wrinkly groey matter!  Why do you not spell good?

You spelled it just fine.  Both "gray" and "grey" are acceptable.  The former is primarily American English, the latter is primarily British English.  I'm just a snarky person who sees the literal interpretation first, and likes to have fun therewith. :)

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

* Natural gas can be used to power internal combustion engines.  Cars can be modified to use natural gas safely without much ado (most cars today already have that technology under their hood).  The US has enough natural gas to serve all the energy needs of the country and still have plenty to export.  Natural gas burns cleaner than oil.

I think in my neck of the woods, some of our government vehicles run on natural gas.  I know there are a small handful of natural gas-equipped gas stations here.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Or even "well" for that matter.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

I always wrote "grey" because it looked, I don't know, greyer. But then I found out that "grey" is the British spelling, and that the American standard (no potty humor, please) is "gray". Since then, I've been a gray man.

I sometimes use grey because my mother watched British TV constantly and bought me books all the way from the UK.  Many of my childhood books utilized the British Spelling instead of the American.  Another word I remember is centre instead of center.  That was how it was spelled in many of those books.

She also allowed me to read mysteries and series books, so many Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, and Oz books.  I think those mostly used American English, so I'm not totally messed up in that regard.

Edited by JohnsonJones
adding a sentence to the end.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

I always wrote "grey" because it looked, I don't know, greyer. But then I found out that "grey" is the British spelling, and that the American standard (no potty humor, please) is "gray". Since then, I've been a gray man.

In a way, the Philippines is kinda weird in that our English is not sophisticated enough to differentiate British vs. American.  So, usually, we pick the simpler looking one.  So, we say Color but then we say Grey and Spelt, because why would there be an A in Grey when the vowels in both Grey and Spelt have the same sound...   And then we call tall shoes and sports shoes the same - boot... you know, like Cowboy boot and Football boot... it can be quite a mess.

Edited by anatess2

Grumpy Old News Reporter: "And now to our young attractive weather girl, Florence.  Tell us Florence, is it going to rain much on Saturday?"

Florence: "Not enough to come in out of."

Grumpy Old News Reporter: "Do you realize you just ended a sentence with three prepositions?"

Florence: "Gee - I wish I could end a Saturday that way!"

14 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Grumpy Old News Reporter: "And now to our young attractive weather girl, Florence.  Tell us Florence, is it going to rain much on Saturday?"

Grumpy Old News Reporter: "Do you realize you just ended a sentence with three prepositions?"

Love it!

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Nuclear power is safe and cheap, compared to other forms of energy production.  The world's 440 nuclear reactors produce around 11% of the world's electricity.  After the massive decline in new plants being built since 1991, the world is starting to get back in the nuclear swing of things, with 60 reactors currently under construction in 15 countries.  This is a good thing.

To add to this, coal power plants actually emit a lot MORE radiation than any nuclear power plant.

th?id=OIP.WGeV6aZokdZrVV3_cFd41wEsDS%26p

No, it's true.  Here's why.

Coal often contains radon gas, a radioactive gas that occurs in the ground.  When burned in a power plant, the resulting gases and ash contain radioactive gas.  Because it occurs naturally, the NRC and the EPA do not regulate it.

(I learned that from a former engineer at a nuclear power plant here in MD.)

So the next time someone says nuclear power is bad because of radiation, just tell them you hope they don't live downwind from a coal burning power plant...

3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wait a minute.  Shouldn't this be in the lame jokes thread.